Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #1216
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
both synthetic corks and screw tops are due to a cork shortage. Cork is mostly grown in Portugal, or at least good wine cork, cork trees, supposedly are. It takes 30 years for them to regenerate the layers and world consumption/need has vastly outstripped the supply and time needed to regenerate. Or something like that.

At any rate, synthetic corks were the first to come, the feeling in the industry was that people would revolt against screw tops so they snuck the synthetics in. Now, the screw tops.

Cost wise I imagine the screw tops cost less to produce, though not really sure. I believe, if memory serves, the screw tops are actually better than either real cork or synthetic but were avoided due to perceived stigma.

Then again it all could be a story I was told back in the day when I sold wine for a living, by self serving wine (snob) producers, extolling the fact that they would only ever use real cork.

Never say never!
Interesting Cynthia. Very interesting. I always though the twist tops were the sign of a cheap bottle of wine, but that's obviously not the case any more. I think I remember that from my college Reunite days. Hangover in a bottle.

I didn't know you sold wine. Cool, cause I know nothing about wine other than I like to try different types. My tastes are not discerning.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 03-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #1217
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Quote:
both synthetic corks and screw tops are due to a cork shortage. Cork is mostly grown in Portugal, or at least good wine cork, cork trees, supposedly are. It takes 30 years for them to regenerate the layers and world consumption/need has vastly outstripped the supply and time needed to regenerate. Or something like that.

At any rate, synthetic corks were the first to come, the feeling in the industry was that people would revolt against screw tops so they snuck the synthetics in. Now, the screw tops.

Cost wise I imagine the screw tops cost less to produce, though not really sure. I believe, if memory serves, the screw tops are actually better than either real cork or synthetic but were avoided due to perceived stigma.

Then again it all could be a story I was told back in the day when I sold wine for a living, by self serving wine (snob) producers, extolling the fact that they would only ever use real cork.

Never say never!
Who knew??!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #1218
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Who knew??!!
Apparently Cynthia!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #1219
nilla
The sky is falling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I always though the twist tops were the sign of a cheap bottle of wine...
The wife is instantly repelled by a screw top bottle of wine. The stigma lives on, if only by perception.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #1220
nilla
The sky is falling!

I make my own wine and always choose the synthetics over real cork, and not just for price reasons - I've never ingested part of a synthetic cork that accidentally broke off into the bottle.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #1221
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilla View Post
The wife is instantly repelled by a screw top bottle of wine. The stigma lives on, if only by perception.
Well now that I am educated and I know better, I will select screw top bottles for all my traveling needs. Wonderful to eliminate the need for a corkscrew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilla View Post
I make my own wine and always choose the synthetics over real cork, and not just for price reasons - I've never ingested part of a synthetic cork that accidentally broke off into the bottle.
Good point! Denny got into wine making for a little while. He set it up on the dining room table. I told him it needed to go cause it looked like a science experiment. The wine was meh, although I have tasted some good home made wine.

So - ARE YOU GUYS GETTING EXCITED FOR YOUR SPRING TRIP??????

Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #1222
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I admit, we buy a fair amount of screw top that is pretty darn decent wine. I do think though, for our local NW producers (who make some KICK A wine) that it's become trendy around here in it's own tree hugging kind of way. Granted, you probably won't see it on anything over $20 but there are some good things (and horrid things) under that, that work just fine with a screwtop.

It's more about the brand and the wine, than cork versus screwtop versus synthetic. I used to see it used more on whites than reds but that is starting to change.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #1223
MagicShell
DIS Veteran

Still here loving the pictures.

Me DH DD DS
Old 03-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #1224
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I admit, we buy a fair amount of screw top that is pretty darn decent wine. I do think though, for our local NW producers (who make some KICK A wine) that it's become trendy around here in it's own tree hugging kind of way. Granted, you probably won't see it on anything over $20 but there are some good things (and horrid things) under that, that work just fine with a screwtop.
The last time I bought a bottle over $20 I told you what happened to it, didn't I? Maybe not. Brian had some misc girl in here with a few other friends and she made her way into the kitchen and opened it. Then said, "Oh Brian. I just opened a bottle of wine. I hope that's ok." DOH!

I saw that bottle in Costco yesterday, but did not buy it. I did, however, buy a bottle of chardonnay from South Africa that has a screw top. If I like it, I thought that might be a fun bottle to bring to Disney.

Speaking of alcohol - Costco also has this whipped cream flavored vodka. It's not a top shelf brand. Probably a mid level brand, but it is pretty tasty.

Why am I writing about alcohol this early in the morning?????? Probably because I crashed on the couch last night at about 8pm while watching a movie. Bad week at work is all I can say.

Quote:
It's more about the brand and the wine, than cork versus screwtop versus synthetic. I used to see it used more on whites than reds but that is starting to change.
I don't normally drink much red because it gives me a headache. But I certainly won't turn my nose up at it either. There are some lovely reds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicShell View Post
Still here loving the pictures.
I am so glad. I am uploading the rest of my last day pictures now, so I hope to have an update soon. Can't believe I finally made it to the end of the pics!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #1225
MEK
DIS Veteran

The Rest of Our Last Day

Well, I just uploaded my last 80 pictures. Yup - that's right! I am down to my last photobucket upload. This trip is coming to an end.

Jen and I wondered around France a bit more. So that means....MORE PICTURES.... Shock...Gasp....Faint!

This is actually my favorite because I was able to crop out everything but the balloon and the stroller.

And Because I have absolutely nothing better to do this morning (yeah right), I created a special photobucket edit just for you....

Continued in Next Post.......

Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #1226
MEK
DIS Veteran

This Gentleman is an Epcot Favorite, so Jen and I watched for awhile and took more....what else..... pictures!

Come On people. I'm not gonna perform if you don't up the applause level.

That's Better....Keep It Coming!

OK. Here We Go!

Steady Now

Keep those chairs coming Pierre. These folks aint seen nothing yet.

Hey Lady, What are you Lookin At?

Bravo!

I pledge allegiance to the flag....oops...wrong country

Hey Pierre ...pass me up something to drink. I'm getting a little thirsty up here.

What? I wanted chardonnay. This is a pinot grigio!

No Worries. I'll find a use for this bottle of wine.

Whoops.....

OK. Got it!

I pretty much rule! Thank you very much!

Onward.

Well, in reality, Jen and I only had a few more stops. It was time to head to the front of the park for our last monorail ride back to BLT.

But First......A final farewell picture to France....

Hi Mary P

(not a great resemblance...in fact she looks seriously stern!)

Hi England.....Bye England.....

We actually stopped and used the facilities in the Rose and Crown....I took a picture of my favorite English ale ....Boddingtons. But there was no time for a beer, only enough time for a quick bio break.

Let me just say, though, that the R&C was pretty much hopping for a mid afternoon in Epcot. That bar looks like a pretty fun place.

Ah...well..... maybe next time!

Continued in Next post.....

Last edited by MEK; 03-05-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #1227
MEK
DIS Veteran

Continued.......

I can't wait to see Epcot decorated for F&G.

We stopped at a pin Kiosk. They had some really cool things. Of course, knowing we are about 500 steps from leaving the park can certainly drive up the desire for cool Disney things. This is one of those moments where I wish money was no object. If that was the case, I would have been hauling one of these babies home with me!

WE had just enough time for a check duck into Art of Disney.....

Jenjolt....THIS is the perfect picture for you:

One last evidence of Disney merchandising .....

before we exited the monorail to see this beautiful sight.....

I took this picture while walking to the resort monorail.....

We arrived at BLT safe and sound. In short order we had retrieved our luggage and we were soon safely boarded on the Magical depress for our journey back to MCO.

In case you are wonderful whatever became of Flat Mickey. Well, I see him every day at work. I slide his picture into the clear coating on my work binder. Now he follows me everywhere. And the best thing is....if I ever misplace my binder, everyone knows its mine!!!!!

So...Thanks everyone for following our trip report. It only took us 5 + months to write it.

As many of you may know, I am not done yet. It's tradition that I do a trip recap - highlights, lowlights, new adventures.

Oh Yeah...and I still have photopass pictures to post that even Jen has not seen.

So stay tuned for more!!!!!!!

And Have a great weekend.

Last edited by MEK; 03-05-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #1228
Ducky4Disney
-->Place Tag HERE!<---

LOVE it Mary Ellen!

The commentary on the France performer was PERFECT! Cracked me up. I don't know about you, but I took over 1000 pictures on that trip; that's up there for me considering I've done 10 day trips and not hit that number of pics.

I can't wait to see PP pics! I did do some edits, so I know what some of them look like, but I never did get a CD, can we remedy that?

HELP IS NEEDED FOLKS!

I am planning my Sept trip and I am stuck on making some important decisions: ya know, like where to stay and when to go - little things.

The when to do part is difficult because my DS5 is starting Kindergarten this year and the first day of school is Thurs. Sept 8. My 10 year anniversary is Sept 7 and I'l like to be in WDW for that - is it a big deal to miss the fist couple days of Kindergarten? He can't be the only kid that won't start until Monday, can he?

My next dilemma is place to stay.

We are selling our DVC contracts so I'm thinking of stay non-DVC in a mod. We are big fans of CSR. We like the large layout, the lake, the Pepper Market, all of it. Bed size in important and at CSR we can get 2 queens, that's a big deal. I've seen the refurb'd rooms and I'm not impressed. I don't like the new mondern/sleek/contemporary styling. It doesn't match the warm exterior. I also don't think the pool is as kid friendly as it could be. No zero-entry area, no real kids play area with small slides/sprayers, that type of thing.

With that in mind I'd love to try CBR. It has the same large layout, bright colors, and the pool is very kid frinedly! I love the pirate theme and the kids play area looks great. Now the rooms are an issue because we'd get 2 full size beds. The pirate rooms are out of the question because DH is 6'7" and the beds in those rooms have footboards. DH and footboards don't get along! Is there a possibility of getting a king-size bed at CBR? We might be able to swing that with the infltable kid mattress we have and a pack-n-play (the kids will end up in bed with us anyway).

Last option is to just rent points and stay DVC, like a studio at SSR. I have to admit, I am looking forward to staying at a "new" resort; one I haven't stayed at before.

See my dilemma?

HELP!

D4D
Old 03-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #1229
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky4Disney View Post
LOVE it Mary Ellen!

The commentary on the France performer was PERFECT! Cracked me up. I don't know about you, but I took over 1000 pictures on that trip.

Glad you liked it Jen. I got that idea from Lurkyloo who visited all the Epcot Santas and did I similar thing.

I probably took about 1400 pictures. I add them up in photobucket.

I'l bring you the pp disc. I honestly have not downloaded them on my computer yet. I seriously put them aside so I would have something to look forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky4Disney View Post

HELP IS NEEDED FOLKS!

See my dilemma?

HELP!

D4D
The first question is easy. It will definitely not scar your child for life to have him miss the first two days of school. You won't even remember it 5 years from now. Plus, you have so many years ahead where your vacations will be severely restricted. Don't restrict yourself any sooner than you need too.

I took my kids out of school for a week every year until they were in 9th grade. Seriously. No regrets.

As far as resort. I get the sense you really want to try CBR, so you should. Book the king sized room and bring the air mattress (and use the pak n play). Book a room close to the main pool.

If you can rent points I don't know if I'd go back to SSR just because it might make you sad. I highly, highly, highly recommend Kidani if you can get it. The pools are fabulous. Seriously. Plus I think you kids might really like the whole animal thing.

OK - that's my 2 cents.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #1230
Ducky4Disney
-->Place Tag HERE!<---

Quote:
The first question is easy. It will definitely not scar your child for life to have him miss the first two days of school. You won't even remember it 5 years from now. Plus, you have so many years ahead where your vacations will be severely restricted. Don't restrict yourself any sooner than you need too.
Thanks, I needed that. I might shift my dates a bit to include my 10th anniversary at WDW.

Quote:
As far as resort. I get the sense you really want to try CBR, so you should. Book the king sized room and bring the air mattress (and use the pak n play). Book a room close to the main pool.
Problem: just called WDW and a king size room will accomodate 2 adults and an infant, can't have 4 people in the room (which is bogus IMHO). Still considering CBR even if it means 2 full size beds.

Ethan also just got a *nice* bonus from work so I thought about splurging I've looked into WL with a queen and bunkbeds but I've stayed at VWL before and the parking was an issue. Still considering it.

I even priced with BC with a pool view! Stormalong Bay is bonus prizes there but again, I've stayed BCV and was not overly impressed with it and again, the parking issue.

Quote:
If you can rent points I don't know if I'd go back to SSR just because it might make you sad. I highly, highly, highly recommend Kidani if you can get it. The pools are fabulous. Seriously. Plus I think you kids might really like the whole animal thing.
Hmmm.... not going back to SSR. *sigh* I see your point. But just because we won't be DVC members doesn't mean we can never stay there again!

I did price out AKL in a Savannah view room (Lodge, not Villas). Price wasn't too bad. Points for AKV in a studio with Savannah view is 109 - again, not bad.

I think I've made the decision more difficult!

D4D

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: