Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #91
kiwigirl
Earning My Ears

Oh Ms Shuttergirl - you poor things having flight problems - that really annoys me knowing how far you have had to travel in the first place! And I just love how your kids pulled one out of the bag and were well behaved - kids surprise you don't they at unexpected times, I get totally stressed at things like that too! Loving your updates and so happy to hear you are at WDW now. Keep it up!
kiwigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:01 AM   #92
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Ms Shuttergirl WL is high on my list of choices of where to stay on our trip and you have certainly made it sound devine. We are staying at the GCH in DL before WDW and I wondered if the theme may be a little similar and to go with something different at WDW.

Decisions are the worst... We are looking for somewhere to come back and escape the crowds... can't wait to hear more.

Enjoy your holiday and thanks for sharing and bringing Disney magic to our days back here in Oz.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #93
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

I would love to stay at WL. Last year on a non-park day we decided to go and check it out. Not sure if we were meant too, but after going to the lobby we walked behind the main building to the pool area and the jetty. DH decided that he wanted to stay there next time, until I told him how much it cost. Your room location sounds fab!

I agree that AK needs more than one day. We had a day and a half - would have been 2 days but DD(4) threw the biggest tantrum so we had to leave.

Hope you are taking plenty of photos.
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Jade+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #94
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Aussietravellers - your tip about sitting up the back of the bus is a godsend. First bus trip DH looks at me and says, ooooh that air conditioning is really cold isn't it. From then on we've sat up the back and each time I say a little thank you in my head to you.

Glad to hear you are liking your new resort but the laundry sounds pitiful. That would totally affect how much i liked the place
I'm glad my little tip has come in handy It really does make a difference though doesn't it, sitting on those warm seats. Makes the freezing bus ride more comfortable

Wow your day at AK sounds wonderful. Totally agree with it not being a one day park, we haven't done nearly everything yet and will be needing at least one more day. I hope you got to see some of the baby animals.

The wishes dessert party sounds good, we couldn't get tickets to that, but I am glad that you enjoyed the fireworks.

Wow your room view sounds awesome, how absoultely fantastic having the castle view and seeing the fireworks and WL sounds just beautiful.

So glad you are having a magical holiday!
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #95
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

I'll go into more detail in my next update but Hollywood Studios is a little uninspiring so far. Maybe I'm missing something?

Other than TSM of course.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #96
aussietravellers

Quote:
I'll go into more detail in my next update but Hollywood Studios is a little uninspiring so far. Maybe I'm missing something?

Ah no, I don't think you are missing something

If you are not into rollercoasters/scary rides or not fit to ride them (like myself), aside from TSM there isn't much excitement, shows are ok. Fantasmic is good (but you can't do that during the day), 50's Prime Time and Sci Fi are good. So no, you haven't missed something
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
Old 10-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #97
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This was our least favourite park. Kids wouldn't sit through the shows, and they were too young for the rides. Highlight of the day was TSM, and meeting Lightning and Mater. Even the food was bad. We ate at ABC commissary.
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Jade+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #98
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

1748 photos taken up to the end of yesterday. 1000 in NYC and already 748 by the end of day two in WDW. Man that's gonna be alot of editing by the time we've finished our holiday

Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Old 10-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #99
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:

If you're not into shows and the rides, then you're not missing anything.

DS and DH absolutely LOVE RnRC, StarWars ride, Lights Camera Action show, Indiana Jones show and TSM. It also helps that DS is a Power Rangers freak; so we spend about 1 - 2 hours queuing up to get photos and autographs from all 5 of them. This time round, we managed to add Beauty and the Beast show to the things to see (ho hum), which stretched the day out further. We came back on another night to see Fantasmic.

Aside from the Butterfinger cupcake (which is super sweet), I would be happy to catch the Friendship to Epcot/Boardwalk and eat there instead of HS.

I hope that you have lots of memory cards for all your photos!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #100
aussietravellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
If you're not into shows and the rides, then you're not missing anything.

DS and DH absolutely LOVE RnRC, StarWars ride, Lights Camera Action show, Indiana Jones show and TSM. It also helps that DS is a Power Rangers freak; so we spend about 1 - 2 hours queuing up to get photos and autographs from all 5 of them. This time round, we managed to add Beauty and the Beast show to the things to see (ho hum), which stretched the day out further. We came back on another night to see Fantasmic.

Aside from the Butterfinger cupcake (which is super sweet), I would be happy to catch the Friendship to Epcot/Boardwalk and eat there instead of HS.

I hope that you have lots of memory cards for all your photos!
Sadly the Power Rangers have gone! So upset because we missed them last time we were here and wanted to see them! Also Star Tours has just closed! So that has gone too.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #101
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
Sadly the Power Rangers have gone! So upset because we missed them last time we were here and wanted to see them! Also Star Tours has just closed! So that has gone too.
Yeah I had read that the PR have been sold back to the original company that started them. And Star Tours is under refurb here and in DLR.

Looks like DHS will become a half day park and a night visit for Fantasmic for us.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 10-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #102
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Day 8 - Magic Kingdom

This morning was EMH at MK and we were keen to go. I know alot of people say you should avoid the park with EMH but since we always leave just around lunchtime for a rest, it works out great for us. We made it in time to watch the sweet little opening showing for Rope Drop and then walked briskly towards the castle and Fantasyland. We always have to start in Fantasyland and Peter Pan is first. I just think it is the most charming ride, it always leaves me feeling happy, and of course Dumbo was up next and the leaves me feeling the same. Fortunately the morning was overcast so it kept the heat at bay which was lovely. Then we hit Snow White and the carousel and we were lucky enough to run into Mary Poppins and Bert. They would have to be the most wonderful characters as far as interaction with the kids goes, so chatty and fun. And Mary is my DD's fave so it was very exciting to see her.

We then headed over to BTMRR as my DD and I were going to brave this ride for the first time. Well we LOVED it, had so much fun we rode it again straight away. No lines at all to get on which was great.

Can you see me, I'm up the front LOL

Then the whole family hit Splash Mountain for the first time ever. Poor DS8 was looking very nervous about the whole thing and didn't really enjoy the smaller drops so I was a little worried about how the big drop was going to go. Not to mention I was worried about my own reaction to that drop hahaha. Well he got through it but vowed not to ride it again, we asked could he ride just one more time as there was still ABSOLUTELY NO LINES and we wanted to take advantage. He sucked it up and rode again but has now put his foot down about any future rides on Splash haha.

We then went to watch the Dream along with Mickey show which was unexpected as sweet as can be. I took tons of photos because I was enthralled but can I say, I do not like the blinking characters, it seems so weird to watch them blink and made photographing them quite difficult. With that said, I loved everything about the show and will try to see it again before we leave.

We went and watched Mickey's Philharmagic and I thought it was wonderful, lots of great 3D effects, I giggled like a little kid throughout.

We rode Pirates and a few other things then watched a little bit of the Celebration parade, had a yummy icecream then headed towards the Monorail as we had 1.30 reservations for Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary.

Got there so quickly and were able to check in early. Ummmm, what is with the photo with the little plastic Mickey statue???? Where the hell is the real Mickey? I thought that was a little lame. Anyway, we thought the buffet was nice, lots of variety and exactly what you expect from a buffet. The characters were good, although some of them were very quick to move on but I guess they have alot of people to see. Overall we enjoyed it.

We had a quick wander around the Contemporary and I have to say I don't quite understand what people see in that resort. It has the feel of a normal hotel, but not all that good. No theming to speak of and for me that only plus was the monorail and I could take that or leave it. It's definitely not the resort for me.

After lunch we headed back to the room for a quick nap then headed down for a swim, we spent more time in the pool today as we were trying to be a little more relaxed about time where possible. DH bought me a margarita but it wasn't one of the frozen ones I was craving and it wasn't a flavoured one so it just really wasn't that nice. I didn't mention anything but he could tell by the fact that I didn't actually drink it hahaha.

We went back to the room and got ready for Hollywood Studios because I was determined to see Fantasmic. I had psyched everyone up for the 1 hour wait and we were going to get something from Starring Rolls for dinner to take in with us.

Well we got to HS, headed towards Fantasmic just to get a feel for where we needed to be. There was still 1 hr 20 mins to the show and there were literally hundreds and hundreds of people swarming down the street to the venue. Now I know that it holds 5000 people but that was madness. I looked at DH and said "even I'm not lining up that long" and so we decided to skip it. I was a little sad about it but there were lots of other things we could do with that time so I'll get over it. To add insult to injury Starring Rolls was closed so I wasn't sure what to do about dinner. The kids were a little bummed and I was racking my brain trying to think how to salvage the evening, then I remembered Pizza Planet, like in the Toy Story Movies. We went there for dinner and the kids loved it. You get pizza and a caesar salad, along with a drink and a snack all for a counter service credit and the size of the drink still makes me laugh, it was the size of a small child I swear hahaha. The kids then went and played some games and smiles were again on faces so we were back on track.

We sauntered past TSM, the wait was 2 hrs at 7.30 at night, good god. I don't think we will ever get to ride this but I am keeping my fingers crossed. We watched Muppets 3D because my DH loves it, and it was good as usual.

Met some characters, wandered around a bit but I honestly left feeling underwhelmed. We aren't wild ride people so that cut out alot and with Fantasmic being an impossibility and TSM, well forget it, there isn't all that much to do there. With that said, we are heading back there tomorrow morning so hopefully things improve.

DH and DS went to bed rather early and DD and I sat out on the balcony, me on the laptop, her reading a book and we heard fireworks. Did I mention we have amazing views of the castle???? Oh I already mentioned our amazing views???? Sorry to brag .

It was the MNSSHP fireworks and they were really amazing. The whole sky was little up and the finale part was exceptional. I can't tell you how amazing the view was from our balcony, it was just beautiful, we felt very blessed to be able to see it.

So that is the end of our second day and we are still loving the transport system, our resort and the whole place.

Last edited by Ms. Shuttergirl; 10-16-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #103
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

What a day... I am so impressed by your DS taking one for the team on Splash Mountain. That is really cool and selfless of him. I am sure that the good Disney karma will come back to him.

I mentioned the other day that I was considering Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary was another thought, so it was enlightening to read your thoughts on the matter.

I hope tomorrow brings another wonderful Disney day. Enjoy the fireworks and the special time with your family.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #104
glara
Earning My Ears

What a nightmare start with the flight dramas, but sounds like you're all making up for it and having a ball!

After reading both your trip report and Aussietravellers, I can't comprehend the level of detail those travelling to Florida have to go through...Disneyland has plenty of options on its own!

Disneyland Resort - 1977
Tokyo Disneyland - 1988

glara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #105
PrincessInOz
in

Shuttergirl - Are you absolutely sure that you have a good view from your room? I'd hate to think that there was some doubt in your mind.....

The second showing of Fantasmic is a little less frantic as far as queuing is concerned. We rocked up to the line at about 9.40 pm and were near the hat. We waited about 10 minutes and they started to let people in. We sat near the back; but it was still a good view.

If DS was worried about drops on Splash Mountain, why did he find this so different from Kali? You get heaps wet at Kali....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: