Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #211
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran
 
Mum from oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 871

Great photos! I to love, love, love that Cinderella Carriage necklace!
__________________
2011 - WDW, US/IOA, Bahamas Dream Cruise, DL TR
2011 - HK Disney TR
2012 - WDW, Legoland, Eastern Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, SFO TR
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #212
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Syd-o-ney (not the country town Canberra)
Posts: 5,327

Howdy!
I'm only up to post #66 and been skim reading. Sounds like you had a blast.
Love the fear of cabs. If you ever go to Chicago?? Do NOT get a cab. You think NY is bad??? hehehe....you ain't seen nothin' yet
I happily survived them as we were walking at least 4 hours of walking tours everyday. So they were muchly appreciated. But if you can't handle NYC?? hehehe...
I even learnt how to drive like them while driving around the city myself.

Anyway...so glad you had fun despite being sleep deprived. I actually settled into rhythm quite quickly this trip....despite our bags being stuck in the cargo hold of the plane for 5 hours (due to the door being jammed) after finally landing in Chicago......** vey!

Will get around to reading more eventually. Love your trip reports and great photos!!
But currently a walking zombie. Well...mostly walking. Slight stumbling on occasion.
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #213
shushh
DIS Veteran
 
shushh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,259

Queenie welcome back!!! We've missed you around here. Discussions never quite the same without your input
__________________
April 2010 Mediterranean Cruise Disney Magic TR
Dec 2010 WDW, NY, Washington DC TR
Jan 2011 Panama Canal Cruise Disney Wonder TR
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:55 AM   #214
Snickals
Australian Princess...in Training
 
Snickals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: QLD, Australia
Posts: 568

Loved reading about your adventure and looking at your pics Thanks for sharing
__________________
30 November ~ 14 December 2010 -Pop Century Resort - First international trip, solo!
6 May ~ 2 June 2012 - Pop Century Resort - Baby Girl's first international trip!
22 October ~ 20 December 2012 - Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas time in Florida
29 October - 11 December 2013 - Pop Century Resort first 3 weeks Pennsylvania for 3 weeks; experienced snow for first time!


Snickals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #215
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!
 
dabecs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 815

starting to read! Thanks I didn't even notice TR in people's signatures - now I',m going to have to gto hunting for them!

I am also reading PrincessInOz short trip TR but it won't let me comment on it, it's really enjoyable though (I'm just looking at her first MNSSHP fireworks photos)
__________________


Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
dabecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #216
battymum
DIS Veteran
 
battymum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,809

I have just spent all morning re-reading your TR Shuttergirl - LOVE IT!

I did read it at the time, but it was nice to read again now that I am more learned on all things Disney. I think it was your TR that convinced me to add a couple of days in NYC to our trip - and I cant wait for that - I probably wouldnt have thought of doing it without reading peoples TR's on the DIS.


One question that you didnt answer - when you had to make alternate arrangements from NY - did you have to pay for new flights, were they at a premium price and were you refunded from Delta for your original. If so did travel insurance cover it?

Also did you go to the MNSHHP - we will be there in September and dont plan on going, it seems I am mad for doing this I wonder if anyone else doesnt bother with it. While my kids would be happy to get their fill of "free" candy, I think they are a little old for it and that $250 could be better spent elsewhere, (I am thinking of going to I-Fly if I can fit it in)


Thanks
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #217
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran
 
WAMUMOF4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,888

Love reading your TR was great but now housework beckons such a let down from the buzz of your holiday Thanks for sharing all those awesome photos
__________________
Disneyland July 2010 Disneyworld August 2011
2012 Disneyland, DCL Magic, WDW, Disneyland
WAMUMOF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #218
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran
 
Ms. Shuttergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,041

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabecs View Post
starting to read! Thanks I didn't even notice TR in people's signatures - now I',m going to have to gto hunting for them!

I am also reading PrincessInOz short trip TR but it won't let me comment on it, it's really enjoyable though (I'm just looking at her first MNSSHP fireworks photos)
Hope you enjoy it, although PIO definitely writes a better tale then I so good that you started with hers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
I have just spent all morning re-reading your TR Shuttergirl - LOVE IT!

I did read it at the time, but it was nice to read again now that I am more learned on all things Disney. I think it was your TR that convinced me to add a couple of days in NYC to our trip - and I cant wait for that - I probably wouldnt have thought of doing it without reading peoples TR's on the DIS.


One question that you didnt answer - when you had to make alternate arrangements from NY - did you have to pay for new flights, were they at a premium price and were you refunded from Delta for your original. If so did travel insurance cover it?

Also did you go to the MNSHHP - we will be there in September and dont plan on going, it seems I am mad for doing this I wonder if anyone else doesnt bother with it. While my kids would be happy to get their fill of "free" candy, I think they are a little old for it and that $250 could be better spent elsewhere, (I am thinking of going to I-Fly if I can fit it in)


Thanks
Glad you enjoyed it. I have to say writing it live was lots of fun and I really fed off everyone's enthusiasm during our trip. I wish more people would write "live" but i know it can be challenging to find the time.

With our NYC dramas, we got on another Delta flight 7 or 8 hours later I believe it was. There was no extra charge or anything, just many hours lost. Once we walked in the door at Wilderness Lodge though and saw our view of the castle, all flight drama was well and truly forgotten.

With regard to MNSSHP, we actually went to the one at DL in Sept 2009. I too thought it was a must do but these are my thoughts in hindsight. It was not worth the money. It was fun seeing all of the costumes, without a doubt. The candy was fun but you sure could buy alot of candy with the money from the tickets . Other than a very quick halloween themed parade, the parks were just as busy and not that different. I am glad we did it but really thought it was not worth the the cost. With that said, I would totally buy tickets to the Christmas one in a heartbeat because I am mad for Christmas. I'm sure I would come away thinking it wasn't worth the money either though. .

Hope that helps.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMUMOF4 View Post
Love reading your TR was great but now housework beckons such a let down from the buzz of your holiday Thanks for sharing all those awesome photos
You are more than welcome. So glad you enjoyed it and that it's getting a "rerun" for a few peeps. As I have mentioned someone on the Dis before, I ended up printing out everything i wrote and popped it into a display book and it is now a priceless keepsake so I thank all my Dis buddies for encouraging me at the time.
__________________


Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #219
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 93,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Hope you enjoy it, although PIO definitely writes a better tale then I so good that you started with hers .
Thanks...I think.....but you do a pretty good job yourself!
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:07 AM   #220
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!
 
dabecs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 815

Loved your TR

Your kids are gorgeous and they looked like they really enjoyed themselves. And I was so happy you did a final summary - especially about the amount of time you need to experience WDW, I have heard so much conflicting information on how many days for each park etc..

I felt like I was there with you each day - wonderful
__________________


Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
dabecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #221
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran
 
Aussie Wendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brisbane Qld
Posts: 1,391

Hi Shuttergirl
I also have only just dropped in to your last year's report-given we will be in NY soon it was great to read your experiences-glad you got used to the subway- I haven't been to NY yet but can't imagine not using it (but we've never really been cab people). Bit worried about all the walking in the heat-and I know we will WALK!! and having to cut afternoons short to get back, change and go back out for shows, 4th July fireworks etc -so evenings are gobbled up! I have noted Les Halles as I was wondering where to eat in our downtown wander day. Did you reserve in advance (on-line? phone? person?) for many places beforehand (I imagine Les Halles I will have to).

LOVED hearing about your trip to WDW. Sounds like you had a ball and plenty of rest/pool time which is nice. Think my DD would have liked a little more of that last trip. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge too and were really rapt but future trips if watching the $ Pop would be up there as an option. Visiting AKL (for a great dinner at Boma) we loved it too but not sure about the distance to everywhere else. We went to WDW before Christmas and it was brilliant-not sure if MVMCP was really worth the extra $ to be honest-it was packed and really just a few extras- but the atmosphere and the Xmas Parade and soap flake snow on Main St and the Goofy Xmas story show was kind of neat. I did read you can time it to see the same parade later in the weeks after they finish the parties. It was freezing that night so fitted the theme and we needed the hot chocolate and cookies! I am glad we did it once though. We also really appreciated all the Xmas extras in Epcot and Osborne Lights in DHS where I got a little teary with the moment. We had 8 nights with 1 full day in each of DHS and AK (which we loved as we love animals and spent ages on the trails as well as the shows). Ended up spending 2 days at EPCOT as we really enjoyed spending time in each country too (and they had Xmas storytellers relevant to their traditions that kept waylaying us), 2 days and an evening at MK and one "rest" day-but ended up visiting some of the other resorts like Grand Floridian and Polynesian and Downtown. With an older child we could keep going longer and at night more easily though. We felt another rest day mixed in would have been good.

I plan to post a trip report when we get back (not at the time I doubt! though we're debating about taking the Netbook with us) on this board as our Disney fix is just a short one at the start of the trip at DLR (park hoppers so we can have a quick look at DCA too) with the focus really NY and Washington (and another short side-track to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas on the way back).

Getting excited!
__________________
Disneyland 84, 89, 97; WDW Xmas 2008; DLR & NYC June 2011; TDR April 2012; DLP May 2013; WDW & USF/IOA Oct 2014
TR DLR, NY and more July 2011
TR Japan 2012
TR Exploration Europe 2013
TR Rides and Rocks 2014
Me DH DD:
Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #222
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran
 
Ms. Shuttergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,041

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Thanks...I think.....but you do a pretty good job yourself!
What does "I think" mean??? I was most definitely complimenting you. I hope you didn't take it a different way because that was certainly not what I meant. You know how I love your TRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabecs View Post
Loved your TR

Your kids are gorgeous and they looked like they really enjoyed themselves. And I was so happy you did a final summary - especially about the amount of time you need to experience WDW, I have heard so much conflicting information on how many days for each park etc..

I felt like I was there with you each day - wonderful
Funny story about time needed at WDW. I have some dear friends who have just arrived home Saturday after a whirlwind NYC/WDW/UK/Italy 5 week trip. She gave a few updates throughout the trip on Facebook. When they said they were going to WDW, they asked how many days they needed there. I said 10. Her husband went right off . NO way was he spending 10 days, how ridiculous blah blah blah. I said, ok then have to have a minimum of 7 days. One day at Universal and Harry Potter (of course they prob needed more) and 5 days at parks and one day at water park. I knew they would be racing around like crazy but I was glad that her husband eventually agreed to 7 days.

She sent me a message that they love love loved WDW, and of course, 7 days was no where near enough. And that came from her husband. I just love being right . I think he felt that it was only because I am in love with Disney that I suggested those times but I'm glad he now realises that wasn't the case at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wendy View Post
Hi Shuttergirl
I also have only just dropped in to your last year's report-given we will be in NY soon it was great to read your experiences-glad you got used to the subway- I haven't been to NY yet but can't imagine not using it (but we've never really been cab people). Bit worried about all the walking in the heat-and I know we will WALK!! and having to cut afternoons short to get back, change and go back out for shows, 4th July fireworks etc -so evenings are gobbled up! I have noted Les Halles as I was wondering where to eat in our downtown wander day. Did you reserve in advance (on-line? phone? person?) for many places beforehand (I imagine Les Halles I will have to).

LOVED hearing about your trip to WDW. Sounds like you had a ball and plenty of rest/pool time which is nice. Think my DD would have liked a little more of that last trip. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge too and were really rapt but future trips if watching the $ Pop would be up there as an option. Visiting AKL (for a great dinner at Boma) we loved it too but not sure about the distance to everywhere else. We went to WDW before Christmas and it was brilliant-not sure if MVMCP was really worth the extra $ to be honest-it was packed and really just a few extras- but the atmosphere and the Xmas Parade and soap flake snow on Main St and the Goofy Xmas story show was kind of neat. I did read you can time it to see the same parade later in the weeks after they finish the parties. It was freezing that night so fitted the theme and we needed the hot chocolate and cookies! I am glad we did it once though. We also really appreciated all the Xmas extras in Epcot and Osborne Lights in DHS where I got a little teary with the moment. We had 8 nights with 1 full day in each of DHS and AK (which we loved as we love animals and spent ages on the trails as well as the shows). Ended up spending 2 days at EPCOT as we really enjoyed spending time in each country too (and they had Xmas storytellers relevant to their traditions that kept waylaying us), 2 days and an evening at MK and one "rest" day-but ended up visiting some of the other resorts like Grand Floridian and Polynesian and Downtown. With an older child we could keep going longer and at night more easily though. We felt another rest day mixed in would have been good.

I plan to post a trip report when we get back (not at the time I doubt! though we're debating about taking the Netbook with us) on this board as our Disney fix is just a short one at the start of the trip at DLR (park hoppers so we can have a quick look at DCA too) with the focus really NY and Washington (and another short side-track to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas on the way back).

Getting excited!
We didn't make reservations for Les Halles actually but we did get there right on 12 on a Saturday. I'm fairly certain if you were going on a weekday that you would probably have to make reservations because I assume many businessmen and women would eat there. It is in a weird little dingy side street but once you are inside it's awesome. I can't wait to hear your thoughts and in comparison to Times Square prices you will be positively blown away at how cheap it is. I think from memory we paid $77ish for our meals and had paid $125 at Applebys the day before or something similar .

Sounds like you have a very busy time planned for NYC and as you say, with an older child you can keep going for longer. We were really big on the arvo nap to be honest .

WDW at Christmas time sounds sheer perfection. We would never be able to actually be there for Christmas or earlier in December now that our daughter is at highschool and with the week between Christmas and NYE so busy, I would imagine the only chance we would potentially get to go is perhaps arriving 1st Jan or something like that. My understanding is the Osborne lights are still up until the 3rd usually and that most decos are coming down by around 4th or 5th so if we hightailed it around the parks just looking at decorations we would hopefully still get to see them. As for the Christmas party, we would miss that which is so disappointing, but hopefully one day when the kids are older we could take off after their exams in mid December or something and go then. I can dream .

I hope you can share a trip report either while you are there or when you get back. Either way we all just love reading about other people's experiences so whenever you could write one would be an absolute bonus to us aussie disers.
__________________


Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:14 AM   #223
Snickals
Australian Princess...in Training
 
Snickals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: QLD, Australia
Posts: 568

Just re-looked through your photos, they are so amazing!!! Am very jealous your boys got to go to WWE! I went to TNA while in Orlando but they hardly compare. I also meet an Aussie girl working at the front desk of POP who was telling me about the college program, think she was from Perth if I remember correctly.
__________________
30 November ~ 14 December 2010 -Pop Century Resort - First international trip, solo!
6 May ~ 2 June 2012 - Pop Century Resort - Baby Girl's first international trip!
22 October ~ 20 December 2012 - Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas time in Florida
29 October - 11 December 2013 - Pop Century Resort first 3 weeks Pennsylvania for 3 weeks; experienced snow for first time!


Snickals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #224
battymum
DIS Veteran
 
battymum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,809

I wouldnt worry too much about school in December - have you ever noticed how many teens are out and about that time of year - after the exams they do very little.

My DD is in Year 10 - and after sc exams in November - there is pretty much nothing for them to do, I know last year a lot of them with part time jobs were pretty much encouraged to pick up extra hours if they could - its only the social side of school thats important at that time of year.

We could never holiday that time of year though as DH is tied to retail industry. No rest for them until after Xmas...
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:20 AM   #225
Lulu83
Mouseketeer
 
Lulu83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 233

Yay a new trip report (well new to me)!!! I haven't started reading yet but am looking forward to working my way through (and not having to wait in suspense for the next installment) Especially looking forward to your WDW days!
__________________
Me DH

January 2011, Disneyland ~ October 2012, married at WDW ~ December 2012, Disneyland
Lulu83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.