Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #136
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

Great report (as always). You were very brave going on Space Mtn, sounds like another fun day! Blizzard Beach sounded like a fun day too. Actually we did comment about the lack of sun awareness when at the parks (even by the pool) Although I say that and the day at Typhoon Lagoon I was cooked to a crisp on my legs That's not very sun smart!!!!

We were at MK yesterday from about 9am until 3pm then from 7pm to just after midnight for MNSSHP (and again this morning), we may have passed you along the way. We were at Epcot today this afternoon and tonight, it was so packed wasn't it.

Sorry your holiday has come to an end! Have a wonderful flight home and I'm looking forward to seeing some of your 10,000 photos (I know it's not that many, I feel like I've taken that many though).
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #137
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Day 16 - our last full day, started with drama, ended well

Well Princess in Oz will be pleased to know that we decided to give Hollywood Studios one more chance to get us to love it .

I was determined to be there well before rope drop because I'll be damned if I wasn't going to ride Toy Story Mania before coming home so I was like a drill sergeant this morning getting everyone out the door and on that bus. We got in there with plenty of time however when we reached the turnstiles our tickets wouldn't work. What??????

So we had to go over to Guest services and she said that our 2 day park tickets had expired. I said, no, we have a 10 day ticket and a 2 day ticket and they are all on the same booking. I explained about moving over to POP, yadda yadda yadda. She said well you need to use your original Key to the World cards. I explained that the check in staff at POP had told me to not use them anymore, that they no longer would work and that everything was on the new cards. Apparently this isn't the case. What a debacle. As my family sat over in the shade I waited as patiently as I could for the lady to ring both resorts to try and sort it out. I seriously wanted to have a little cry. All the months of planning, thinking you have everything covered and little things like this at the end of your trip can seem like big things when you are tired. And I was disappointed because I knew that they were leading the crowds down the main street of HS towards TSM and that we would again miss out on riding this.

DH and the kids were really upbeat about it because I think they could sense that I was feeling annoyed and stressed but we headed towards TSM anyway in the hopes we could get a FP that would allow us to ride before we left for the day just after lunch. After jumping in the horrendously long FP line, we finally got FP's for 11.40am, whew. My mood lifted immediately and all of the emotions and stress washed away. How silly that riding a ride got me so worked up but I think it was more the injustice of it all after such a big effort to get there so early.

We then did the Backlot Tour which was interesting and I loved the water scene, better than the Universal water scene in LA but overall the Universal tour is much more detailed.

Then we wandered around for a bit and ended up back in Pixar Place and DS and DD saw Buzz and Woody so they begged to line up to meet them. The line was LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG and DH wasn't keen but I said I'd be happy to line up with them and so he sat on a bench reading the paper very happily. The line was interesting, they had lots of little "sets" in there for photos with the kids while you waited. Thank goodness because we waited a little over half an hour to meet them.

By the end of that it was time to head over to Indiana Jones Stunt Show. We wisely got a cold drink and a snack before we went in there, positioned ourselves under one of the big fans over to the side and sat back and enjoyed the show. It was very well done and everyone really loved it.

By then it was 12 and we could either go ride TSM but we weren't sure how long it would take and we had a 12.30 adr at 50's Prime Time Diner. We decided to see if we could get in early for lunch and ride TSM after. We did have to wait 10 minutes because the place was packed. So many people walking up for a table, they all had to wait at least 45 minutes. Yikes. And it was quite warm today so I would not have been too keen on that. The decor and theme is just amazing here and even DH got excited about it. Our "auntie" server was lots of fun and she was scolding us about our elbows on the table right away. As I mentioned they were so busy and whilst we definitely felt we got the best server in the place, she was run off her feet so I don't think we got as much attention as we might have at a less busy time. She was wonderful with the kids though, they were giggling their heads off.

The food was DELICIOUS!!!!! Really filling home style food and we all loved it. And dessert, well it was scrumptious and we all rolled out of their with bulging bellies, feeling a little sick from all of our gluttony.

We headed to TSM and were keen to see what all the hype was about. Guess how long the Standby line was? Nah, you never will be able to so I'll tell you.

It was at 170 minutes. Now I know I've been out of school for a while and my math ain't that good but isn't that nearly 3 hours?????????

Are people RAVING MAD????

Why in the world would anyone line up that long for a 5 minute ride.

Well we rode it and we all loved it. It's lots of fun and I'm glad to have gotten the chance to experience it but you can be sure we wouldn't line up for 3 hours and I feel sure the people that did would have been disappointed when it was over so quickly.

I got the highest score so will forever be the TSM champion in my house.

The boys being silly

We had originally thought we would head back to POP for a little rest then onto Epcot for our 4.50 adr at Chef's De France or whatever it's called, hehe and then the 6.30 show of Sugar Ray. We looked at the time and knew we still had a few countries to check out so we caught a bus straight to Epcot.

After a brief stop at Club Cool for some tasty watermelon flavoured coke, we wandered through Canada and England and then went to Pick a Pearl to get a pearl for grandma.

Me finding something very amusing about Niagara Falls at Canada

If only these were the only "beer goggles" she'll wear in her lifetime LOL

By now it was getting HOT and I was looking for some shade, beer and rest in no particular order. We hit the Belgian stand for some Stella beer, we got the big 22 oz. kahunas and lucked into a wonderful table in the shade and just sat and watched the world go by until it was time to head to Sugar Ray. The concert was great, the lead singer sings really well live and was full of energy and fun with the crowd. Loved it.

Bottoms up

My beautiful princess

We then wandered over to the China pavillion as that was our last country and my DD wanted to get a fan and the CM offered to write her name in Chinese on the fan which we loved. DS was sad then so she wrote his name on a piece of paper for him which put the smile back on his dial.

We again lucked into a quick bus and headed back to POP. We had decided to totally skip our evening ADR, watch the early show of Sugar Ray and have another CS meal at POP. With no afternoon break our family just fades at the end of the day and can't make it through into the evening hahaha.

Fortunately we learned last night that they will let you use a TS credit for a CS if you want and since we had TS credits in abundance we were happy to do that and get back to the resort.

I'm happy to be typing this because I am finally up to date and this is in real time for us now. We are all packed except toiletries and jammies and will catch the Magical Express tomorrow at 1.45pm.

We will spend the morning going to Boma for breakfast and then onto Animal Kingdom for a few hours before heading back to POP to catch the bus. Then it is the long haul home. We all feel ready to go home, have definitely enjoyed our time and seen all we want to see for now and I feel relatively relaxed. Hopefully we can sleep on the long flight and not get too much jetlag.

We have two larger stints at airports tomorrow so fingers crossed time flies.

Talk soon.

Some misc images

The WL boat dock

Came back to our room and this is how mousekeeping had left DS's chipmunks LOL

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550

Last edited by Ms. Shuttergirl; 10-16-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #138
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Awww, how sad that your trip is coming to a close! Glad you got to ride TSM though - AND get the highest score in your family :D

It sounds like you had a truly wonderful time. Have a safe trip home.

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #139
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Have a safe trip home. I am glad you are feeling relaxed and have done everything you wanted to do.

I have really enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Jade+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #140
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

Oh no about the tickets! The thing is they are often so painfully slow at sorting things out and they can't seem to think outside the box. We have found that anyway with many things. Great they got it all sorted in the end though What a relief!

SO glad you got to go on TSM after all. to the 170 hour wait time. There is no way on this earth I would wait that long. To be honest I don't know that I would wait an hour, let alone three I can't believe there are people who would wait that long, wow

Glad you enjoyed 50's Prime Time. You are very very lucky to have had that 10 minute wait. We went last week for lunch and had about 35 minute wait and then for dinner, we had a 45 to 55 minute wait, it was so long we were about to leave when they called our name (can't remember now, but it was a blooming long time!)

Shame you missed chefs des france. We have eaten there twice now and both times have been one of the best meals we've had at WDW. You can go next time

Have a great trip home tomorrow!
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel

Last edited by aussietravellers; 10-08-2010 at 10:10 PM.
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #141
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Bummer about the tickets! What a shame to have that drama on the last full day. But at least it was all sorted out.

I'm glad that you went back to HS to "give IT a chance to love YOU" . And reading what you've experience, if you still don't like the park, then at least you'll know it wasn't from NOT seeing the shows.

And congratulations on being the family TSM champion. You'll be able to rule that ride until you head back to WDW (or DLR) .
Next time, you'll have to eat at Chefs. It was one of our best meals in May.

Safe travels tomorrow. And I'm still looking forward to your photos.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #142
AussieDisneyNut
Mouseketeer

Thanks Ms Shuttergirl for a terrific live report. I have really enjoyed reading about your adventure in WDW. Hope you have a safe and easy trip home.
AussieDisneyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #143
SnowWhite09
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing your family holiday Shuttergirl! Your trip report has been great and I have really enjoyed reading it. Have a great trip home!
Old 10-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #144
shushh
DIS Veteran

We have LOVED LOVED coming along with you on your trip. Thank you for taking the time to write such beautifully detailed reports. You're making me so excited about my trip as well as providing helpful little bits of info. I'm so sorry to hear about the drama with the tickets. That would have stressed and frustrated me to no end as well.

I hope you have a safe and uneventful flight home. Can't wait to see all the photos!
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #145
kylieh
DIS Veteran

Thank you Ms Shuttergirl for sharing your trip - DH, DD, and I have enjoyed reading every installment. We may be doing a similar trip this time next year - NY then Disney.

Can't wait for the photos. Safe and easy travels home.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #146
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Day 17 - the long trek home

I'm typing this from LAX as we wait to board our international flight to Sydney. It's 9pm LA time, 12 midnight to us on Orlando time and we have already had a pretty long day.

We were up bright and early to finish off the packing, rang bell services who came promptly this time, they must have my photo up on the wall at Pop Bell Services as the crazy lady after causing a fuss when we checked in We then caught a cab over to Animal Kingdom Lodge as we had a breakfast ADR at Boma. The main reason for this breakfast was to check out the AKL as it was my second choice for our deluxe accom and I was excited to see all of the theming. It was so busy when we got there, people everywhere but as soon as we walked straight through to the savannah out the back all was quiet and lovely. Only boring animals in that savannah, they must save the good animals for the people who pay more for their rooms. Or maybe they were just hiding from the crazy aussies.

Boma was packed to the rafters, loud and boisterous and well decked out. The food was really nice and I can back up Aussietravellers claims to the ham being great (although not as good as my DH's one but a close second). Our server was run off her feet, she had a huge area that she was covering and it showed in her lack of attention to us. Not her fault but they should staff it up a bit better.

We then caught the bus over to AK to spend a few hours. We mainly just wandered around and then had to make a choice whether we did a ride or a show because the park was busy and lines were long. We chose a show. FotLK was our first choice but the next show didn't start until too late for us so we went and saw Nemo again. My camera is broken so I was able to just sit and watch this time and again I was impressed with how they have brought this story to the stage. The props and stage pieces are so beautifully done, I could just stare at all of that detail alone. Even my husband who is not easily impressed when it comes to Disney and stage shows felt it was excellent. I can only imagine what little 3 and 4 year olds would say if they saw it. It would be amazing to them.

We then headed back to POP, the kids played a few arcade games and then we headed to collect our luggage and caught our Magical Express bus to the airport. Our flight wasn't until 5.30pm but they insisted on picking us up at 1.45 so we were dreading the long wait ahead but the airport was SOOOOOOOO busy, by the time we checked all of our luggage in (with their crazy new self service system that is a bit tough to do on your own when you are checking baggage all the way through to Australia) with some assistance from a staff member, then we grabbed a quick bite to eat so we had the energy to face the security lines, we did not have to wait long at all. OMG, security was mental. There seriously has to be a better way. I am not joking when I say thousands of people were trying to get through, haha. It's organised chaos I guess and the staff see it all the time but it was a bit stressful until we got through the other side. We all breathed a sigh of relief.

The flight was good, but felt long which doesn't bode well since that is the shorter flight haha. Another 15 hours to go to Sydney, then another 3 hour wait and then on to Canberra. Ugh..

Just a heads up for those who are doing the trip for the first time and who will fly domestically when in the US. Get on the plane as quickly as you can because the amount of carry on luggage the Americans try to take is INSANE and the overhead compartments fill up very very quickly. If you want to have your luggage anywhere near you on the plane,make sure you don't dilly dally when they call your section. We learned that very quickly last year and I thought of it today and thought it may come in handy for a first timer.

Our flight leaves in around 1 1/2hours which isn't long at all but we are keen to get on the plane and get some sleep.

We are now all excited to get home and I must admit to being giddy about that first night and morning, not to have to get up and be anywhere at a certain time .

Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Old 10-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #147
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus View Post
Awww, how sad that your trip is coming to a close! Glad you got to ride TSM though - AND get the highest score in your family :D

It sounds like you had a truly wonderful time. Have a safe trip home.
Yes it goes all too quick these trips we plan for months and months but I am ready to go home now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post
Have a safe trip home. I am glad you are feeling relaxed and have done everything you wanted to do.

I have really enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Glad you enjoyed reading along, thanks for following me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
Oh no about the tickets! The thing is they are often so painfully slow at sorting things out and they can't seem to think outside the box. We have found that anyway with many things. Great they got it all sorted in the end though What a relief!

SO glad you got to go on TSM after all. to the 170 hour wait time. There is no way on this earth I would wait that long. To be honest I don't know that I would wait an hour, let alone three I can't believe there are people who would wait that long, wow

Glad you enjoyed 50's Prime Time. You are very very lucky to have had that 10 minute wait. We went last week for lunch and had about 35 minute wait and then for dinner, we had a 45 to 55 minute wait, it was so long we were about to leave when they called our name (can't remember now, but it was a blooming long time!)

Shame you missed chefs des france. We have eaten there twice now and both times have been one of the best meals we've had at WDW. You can go next time

Have a great trip home tomorrow!
Yes Chef De France was a shame but our bellies were still so full from 50's Prime Time Cafe, we couldn't even eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Bummer about the tickets! What a shame to have that drama on the last full day. But at least it was all sorted out.

I'm glad that you went back to HS to "give IT a chance to love YOU" . And reading what you've experience, if you still don't like the park, then at least you'll know it wasn't from NOT seeing the shows.

And congratulations on being the family TSM champion. You'll be able to rule that ride until you head back to WDW (or DLR) .
Next time, you'll have to eat at Chefs. It was one of our best meals in May.

Safe travels tomorrow. And I'm still looking forward to your photos.
PIO, you will be pleased to know that we enjoyed our additonal time at HS and thought the Indy show was excellent. And of course TSM was a highlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDisneyNut View Post
Thanks Ms Shuttergirl for a terrific live report. I have really enjoyed reading about your adventure in WDW. Hope you have a safe and easy trip home.
Thanks for reading along with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite09 View Post
Thanks for sharing your family holiday Shuttergirl! Your trip report has been great and I have really enjoyed reading it. Have a great trip home!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
We have LOVED LOVED coming along with you on your trip. Thank you for taking the time to write such beautifully detailed reports. You're making me so excited about my trip as well as providing helpful little bits of info. I'm so sorry to hear about the drama with the tickets. That would have stressed and frustrated me to no end as well.

I hope you have a safe and uneventful flight home. Can't wait to see all the photos!
Well your trip will be a very exciting adventure for all of us to follow. I promise to share photos soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylieh View Post
Thank you Ms Shuttergirl for sharing your trip - DH, DD, and I have enjoyed reading every installment. We may be doing a similar trip this time next year - NY then Disney.

Can't wait for the photos. Safe and easy travels home.
Thanks Kylie, we hope everything goes smoothly with our trip home too. Can't wait to hear more about your upcoming trip.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #148
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Looking forward to having you and your 10,000 photos home safely. Settle in, upload your photos so you can share with us

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:32 AM   #149
kiwigirl
Earning My Ears

I have loved reading your journey, thanks so much for sharing as you went on your holiday and have a safe trip home. Hope its not too horrendous!
kiwigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:44 AM   #150
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

Another one who has loved hearing about your holiday. Have a great flight home.
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: