Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

Question How intense is Expedition Everest?

I have talked my dad into going onto Expedition Everest on our upcoming trip to WDW, as I think he'd enjoy it. (It didn't take much convincing.) He is in his late 60's and isn't a huge roller coaster buff, but he rides and enjoys Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. When he was younger he would ride Space Mountain.

I love roller coasters and haven't met one I wouldn't ride. To me, Expedition Everest is fast but smooth, and not that that intense. However, I want to hear what a wider range of people (including those who aren't as gung ho about thrill rides) think about EE.

So, how intense would you say Expedition Everest is? Did you have any physical reactions to it afterwards?

I want to make sure I'm not setting my dad up for an unpleasant experience.

Thanks!

ETA: There is no physical reason why my dad couldn't ride.

Last edited by kate_wdw; 09-20-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: ETA: There is no physical reason why my dad couldn't ride.
kate_wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
dqpowell
DIS Veteran

The backwards-in-the-dark part is disorienting and unpleasant for some folks.

David
dqpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

I can do Big Thunder Mountain without any problems. I also like The Mummy at Universal. Love Dinosaur, which is very bumpy/jerky and Tower of Terror. My children talked me into doing Expedition Everest and all I can say is NEVER AGAIN!!! I didn't enjoy any part of this ride and felt physically sick after.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
mjp12831
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqpowell View Post
The backwards-in-the-dark part is disorienting and unpleasant for some folks.

David
I tend to get motion sickness - but not badly. We rode EE 3x consecutively at rope drop and it required me taking dramamine. I believe it was this backwards in the dark part that got me, but just riding it once I don't find it to be very intense - if he has none of the usual ride disclaimer warnings, seems like he'd be fine.

WDW Commando member #60
mjp12831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

slightly more intense than Thunder mountain but not much. much smoother and a great ride.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
wolf29
DIS Veteran

I do have problems with motion sickness at times. The only part of EE that gets me is the backwards/dark part. The rest of the ride is no problem for me.
wolf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
tlbwriter
Does this look infected?

I don't like typical roller coasters because I'm afraid of heights (I do like the... what's it called?runaway mouse type? like Big Thunder Mountain, which I LOVE). I really loved EE but it was quite intense and I was a little dizzy when I got off.

WDW: Grand Floridian Dec 2004
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 2005
DL: Offsite July 2007
WDW: Beach Club Dec 2008
tlbwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

I love roller coasters, even upside down coasters, but I cant ride EE. The backwards part does me in.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
tankgirl427
DIS Veteran

I love Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, but hate Space Mountain. I was recently talked into trying Expedition Everest by a 5 year old girl who promised it wasn't as bad as Space Mountain. Luckily I had sent my BF on it a few days before so he knew what was coming up and told me when we were going to go backwards. We asked for a row in the middle. I'm not a big fan of large drops. The only problem I had, was that with how fast you are going around the turns I found it hard to keep my head up straight.

I liked, didn't love it, but I still would go on it again as long as I didn't have to ride Space Mountain.

"You held me down, but I got up, Get ready cause I’ve had enough."

PHM 2015-In Pursuit of Cupcakes While Running in Glass Slippers

Pre 2006 doesn't count, 2006: Dolphin, 2006: 16 hours of MK & EP, 2009: DL, 2010: PC with DDP, 2011: Off-site with friends & PC, 2012: AKL & BLT, POFQ, 2013: POP, POP, DL, POP
tankgirl427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
ancestry
Trees Without Roots Fall Over

I wouldn't consider it to be intense at all. I wish it was more intense.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
ricktib
DIS Veteran

DW is sensitive to any sort of accellerations, so she does not go on RnR, but loves EE. She says it's about as intense as she can stand, but LOVES it.

Rick
ricktib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
Katie & Glen
DIS Veteran

I have a friend who is a roller coaster chicken and I finally talked her into going on EE a few years ago and she loved it. She wants to make sure we ride at least 2x if not 3x when we go in December. I told her all about the broken tracks and neat little things and she truly enjoys the ride now.

A Mickey's Very Merry "Holy Crap It's Cold" Trip Report - Dec 2010

Katie (DW) / Glen (DH - 44) / Ethan (DS - 11)

Past trips: 1997 FW Campground; 2007 CBR; 2010 AKL; 2011 CBR; 2012 POR
Katie & Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

My 75 year old mom loved it, except for the centrifugal (sp?) force when you go around the corner's.. She wasnt a fan of that because it 'hurt'. She knows it didnt hurt, but that was the only word to use. Tower of Terror she would have rode all day so the up /down didnt bug her it was the side to side. And it wasnt making her sick or feel bad.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
lzimm13
Mouseketeer

I don't do roller coasters. The worst you'll get me on is BTMRR or Space Mountain. That being said, my Fiance convinced me to ride EE this past December. I think if I kept my eyes open long enough to see anything other than the top of the tree of life I might have enjoyed it. the themeing that I did see was really cool. I just don't do drops...at all. I just hate that jelly feeling I get in my legs and it genuinely scares the living crap out of me! I haven't even ridden Splash Mountain in YEARS!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
LGH1946
Mouseketeer

Ee

I just turned 64. I rode EE in '07. I kept my eyes closed the whole time It did hurt my neck and I won't ride it again. But I can see how it would be really fun for younger folks who really love roller coasters. I would LOVE to ride it again because I didn't see anything!!
LGH1946 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: