Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
adamsup
Adam

We HAD To Go Back Right Away! WL Sept 2010 updated 2/5/11

Hello and welcome to our second WDW trip report. We hope you enjoy sharing in our amazing vacation experience. As always, WDW was magical and exciting and everything we could have hoped for.

Here's a quick preview of what's to come.

Trip Basics

- this is our second trip to WDW
- we stayed at Wilderness Lodge from 9/10/10 to 9/17/10
- Free Dining

Table of Contents

Day 0 - 9/9/10
- Road trip here

Day 1 - 9/10/10
- We're here! here
- Dinner at 'Ohana's - here

Day 2 - 9/11/10 - 9 Year Anniversary
- Extra magic morning hours at Magic Kingdom - here
- 9th Anniversary dinner at Sanaa - here

Day 3 - 9/12/10
- Pool day
- Dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern
- Wishes / Thunderstorm!

Day 4 - 9/13/10
- Breakfast at Main Street Bakery
- Magic Kingdom Fantasyland, Tomorrowland
- Dinner at 1900 Park Fare

Day 5 - 9/14/10
- EPCOT Futureland, Turtle Talk, Spaceship Earth
- Lunch at Coral Reef
- Shopping
- Dinner at Whispering Canyon

Day 6 - 9/15/10
- Magic Kingdom Mickey's Toontown Fair, Fantasyland
- Artist of the Day
- Dinner watching Wishes

Day 7 - 9/16/10
- We bought an extra day!
- Raising the WL Flags
- Magic Kingdom
- Swimming
- Dinner at 'Ohana's

Day 8 - 9/17/10
- Packing
- Lunch at Whispering Canyon
- Bye Bye Disney World

Last edited by adamsup; 02-06-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Looking forward to hearing about this trip too!

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
adamsup
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildAtHeart82 View Post
I'm here! Looking forward to hearing about this trip too!

Just added the table of contents too
Old 10-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
adamsup
Adam

Day 0 - 9/9/10

Day 0 - 9/9/10 - Road Trip

This time around we would be driving to WDW. We were a little apprehensive since we have a 5 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old and the trip was gonna take between 12 and 14 hours! That's a long time for anyone to sit in a car. At the same time though, we were excited and looking forward to the road trip.

We planned to leave the day before check in, directly after Traci got off work and drive from 4p 'til about midnight, stopping on the way for dinner drinks etc. The idea was that the kids would fall asleep around 7p as usual and we could get through about 5 hours of drive time while they slept, stopping somewhere around Atlanta.

Since we didn't fly this time, we were able to take a lot more comforts from home, like the girls' hot rollers, beach toys etc. Last time we mailed a box of supplies (diapers, wipies) but this time we didn't have to.

No way could we have gotten all this on the plane!

We left at 4:30p - pretty close to what we planned and the GPS took us towards Louisville, which at the time I had no idea was COMPLETELY the opposite direction - taking us north instead of south!

About 30 mins in, Traci's dad called us to see how it was going and couldn't believe we were heading to Louisville -- he thought we were joking! Bloody GPS! So basically, the GPS added an hour and a half onto our trip. Once we got to Louisville it then headed us south on some highway towards Nashville.

Very annoying start to our vacation! Also, being newbie road trippers, it took us a while to get our "stops" under control. We probably stopped 5 times in an hour and a half, for potty breaks, drinks, food, gas etc! We realized that we needed to stop once and take care of gas, potty and food all at the same time. DUH!

Here are the kids eating their dinner

We had bought some new toys for the kids that we kept secret until our road trip. We also brought coloring books and some favorites that we knew would keep the kids attention.

The kids went off to sleepright on cue at their normal bed time
and Traci and I were able to have some quiet time to chat and plan

It was around 1am and we were about 50 miles from Atlanta. We decided there's no point continuing to drive (some people had said we should try to get past Atlanta before stopping for the night) but we figured we would stop now and get on the road early the next morning so we found a Ramada Inn just off the highway, got the kids into bed and then fell asleep for a few hours.

It was easy to wake up at 6:00am the next morning - vacations just have that effect on you! We showered, packed up, grabbed some complimentary breakfast pastries and coffee, and hit the road again.

The drive was pretty uneventful. The kids were really patient and able to occupy themselves with their toys and DVD players. The kids took a 3 hour nap around midday - I love Brooklyn's sunglasses in this pic

and we sailed through Georgia and into Florida.

Our GPS took us some funky way again and we didn't get to see THE sign that everyone loves to see and takes a picture of Instead it took us some backroads way and we ended up coming through a service road that we knew was Disney property but it wasn't manicured and well taken care of like the guest entrances. We finally got onto the main Disney highway (World Drive maybe) and then we spotted something!

THEN we knew were in Disney World! Finally!

From that point on, we just followed the signs to Wilderness Lodge

Old 10-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

I think our GPS took us to that same service road when we drove there! We left by the main way so we still saw the sign. If we drive again, we'll make sure to find the main way in. After a lot of weird routes, I've learned that I can trust our GPS to get us there 99% of the time, and 75% of the time it will take us the way that makes the most sense.

Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
Old 10-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
mermaid764
DIS Veteran

I'm joining in

I am loving your other TR, so I cannot wait to read this one as well.

The wilderness Lodge looks gorgeous, and I can't wait to hear what you guys thought of it.

How annoying that your GPS kept taking you different directions, but the important thing is you made it to WDW!

Looking forward to hearing more
Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
adamsup
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildAtHeart82 View Post
I think our GPS took us to that same service road when we drove there! We left by the main way so we still saw the sign. If we drive again, we'll make sure to find the main way in. After a lot of weird routes, I've learned that I can trust our GPS to get us there 99% of the time, and 75% of the time it will take us the way that makes the most sense.
we left the proper way too and saw the sign - not quite as fun to see it as you're leaving but hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid764 View Post
I'm joining in

I am loving your other TR, so I cannot wait to read this one as well.

The wilderness Lodge looks gorgeous, and I can't wait to hear what you guys thought of it.

How annoying that your GPS kept taking you different directions, but the important thing is you made it to WDW!

Looking forward to hearing more
We really liked WL - it looks amazing from the outside and inside is just as spectacular. The main lobby is breathtaking when you first walk in. The whole place is rustic cabin themed with little nooks and stone walls everywhere. The pool is themed like a rock pool and there's a steaming geyser nearby that adds to the ambiance.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
adamsup
Adam

Day 1 - We're Here!

Day 1 - We're Here!

We pulled up and the valet guy helped us unload our bags. We made our way to the check-in desk and were again amazed by the lobby and its rustic theme. We had been here once before, back in May, for our dinner reservation at Whispering Canyon.

Once we checked in, we found our room, #1010, on the first floor.

I forgot to mention that Traci had broken her foot a few weeks earlier and was now wearing one of those supportive boots (bad timing I know!) so we had previously asked for a room close to the boat and pool so she didn't have to walk as far.

(Our CR room location during our May trip was as far away as you could possibly get from the monorail and counter service location. We knew we wanted a room closer to all the amenities).

Room 1010 was in a great location, a hop skip and a jump away from Roaring Forks in one direction and the pool and boat dock in the other direction. This was a great start!

Here are some room pics

We had upgraded to a Woods View because of some last minute discount we had found. We don't usually care much about our view, but no point passing up a good offer

We started unpacking and were about half done by the time we needed to leave for dinner at 'Ohana's. What a great way to start our vacation - dinner at one of our favorite restaurants!

Up next... dinner at 'Ohana

Old 10-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Just want you to know that I was able to get a 5:20 'Ohana reservation for our November trip. I only even tried to get it because of your other trip report -- everything looked so good and your report made it sound so appealing. Until I read your report, I didn't have any desire to eat there. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
adamsup
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Just want you to know that I was able to get a 5:20 'Ohana reservation for our November trip. I only even tried to get it because of your other trip report -- everything looked so good and your report made it sound so appealing. Until I read your report, I didn't have any desire to eat there. Thanks!

Pressure's on us now - hope you like it otherwise it's our fault! I'm sure you'll enjoy it - be prepared to talk loud andshamelessly accept food onto your already full plate!

We have better 'Ohana pics in this trip report, and that's the post that's up next. Hope you like them.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
tracisup
Traci

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
I cant imagine that you wont love it. Make sure you save room for desert. It tastes so much better than the pictures can show. Let us know!

Me --Traci DH - Adam DS - Andrew --22 DS - Adam --20 DD - Brooklyn --8 DD - Paris --7
DS - Maxwell --5

5/10 Contemporary Resort - After A Year Of Planning We Winged It! Our First Disney Vacation
9/10 Wilderness Lodge - We Just HAD To Go Back!
6/11 Wilderness Lodge - Our Magical Memories
9/10 Ten Year Anniversary - 3 day get-away (without the kids!!)
6/12 Contemporary Resort Tower
6/13 Contemporary Resort Tower
Old 10-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
mauigal
Yay! For the happiest place on earth!

Oh yay!! Another TR from you guys....am enjoying the other one!!
Which hotel did you like better, WL or Contemporary? I think I like the decor of the Contemporary better!

Wait, was just looking that the dates...you all went and then had so much fun you went back 4 months later??!! I love it! You sound like my daughter and myself!!

Last edited by mauigal; 10-24-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #13
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm subbing.

I'm glad that your drive went well, except for going the wrong direction for a while. I have gone the back route through the park many times myself, and it's always a little strange to not go under the sign we all know and love.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
gellybean
DIS Veteran

Great start!! We're staying at WL in 50 days. I'm so looking forward to getting excited about our WL stay through your TR!

You've got some awesome road trip kids there to have never taken a road trip before!!

Rotten luck about the broken foot weeks before the trip but woo hooo for an awesome room location!

Can't wait to read about 'Ohana! Also a fave of ours!

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA
Old 10-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #15
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Your room at WL looks great! I'm looking forward to more delicious pics of Ohana!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: