Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #1501
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
The problem comes when the temp goes up & the snow starts melting. The sewer drains get all backed up and the water has no where to go, so the crosswalks, right below the curbs turn into MOATS people are trying to cross. ALL FOUR INTERSECTIONS on BOTH sides of the streets.

Most times, I have to look 3 feet to the left or four feet to the right, to see if there is a dry patch of street that's higher, that I can cross to get to the curb.
Sounds like Long Beach when we get an inch of rain!!!

We don't worry about getting our feet wet because we don't leave our houses!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #1502
sharonW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The snow is quite pretty when it's new and fresh. Covers up all the city soot. I think there's some NYC regulation where each building must individually maintain the patch of sidewalk directly in front of their own buildings. I think they can be sued up the wazoo if someone trips & falls because of snow or ice on their part of the sidewalk. I usually like to take a walk right after it's snowed and the sidewalks have been cleared.

The problem comes when the temp goes up & the snow starts melting. The sewer drains get all backed up and the water has no where to go, so the crosswalks, right below the curbs turn into MOATS people are trying to cross. ALL FOUR INTERSECTIONS on BOTH sides of the streets.

People turn into puddle jumpers -->

When I was younger and more agile, I could jump the moats no problem. After the last storm, I backed up 3 feet, and took a running start to leap across a huge m

Most times, I have to look 3 feet to the left or four feet to the right, to see if there is a dry patch of street that's higher, that I can cross to get to the curb.

Even after all that I usually come home with soggy shoes.

When it gets up to four hours, you're supposed to consult a doctor.
LOL Have seen the puddle situation after some rain when we were in the city but I guess I ain't seen nothing. Where do you work, if you don't mind my asking?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #1503
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post

Wimp!

. . . On second thought, I've seen how you Californians drive and crash when there is an inch of rain on the ground. Yes, it might be better to stay in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonW View Post
LOL Have seen the puddle situation after some rain when we were in the city but I guess I ain't seen nothing. Where do you work, if you don't mind my asking?
I work down in Chelsea, so no having to deal with a bad subway commute. During the last storm some of the subway service was down in the far reaches of Brooklyn & Queens for days. The Long Island Railroad was also down for a while.

I'm surprised about that. You'd think by now, the railroads would have figured out how to rig up some snowplow thingie onto the front of the train to push the snow off the tracks.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 01-12-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: elderly grammar problems
Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #1504
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Kimmar is having memory problems again. She keeps forgetting that she has completed post 32 on her trippie with no name and keeps posting post 32 again....and again....

Where did we leave those memory pills? Did I accidently toss them out when I cleared out the rec room?
....WHO'S got the 'memory loss'??? I kept adding to it, rather than posting another post (for continuity..)! ...BTW ~ you REALLY need to find those pills....mebbe takin' some ginko biloba will help...
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #1505
kimmar067

Quote:
Wimp!

. . . On second thought, I've seen how you Californians drive and crash when there is an inch of rain on the ground. Yes, it might be better to stay in.

I work down in Chelsea, so no having to deal with a bad subway commute. During the last storm some of the subway service was down in the far reaches of Brooklyn & Queens for days. The Long Island Railroad was also down for a while.

I'm surprised about that. You've think by now, the railroads would have figured out how to rig up some snowplow thingie onto the front of the train to push the snow off the tracks.
...and today, the NYC schools were OPEN! (...we got almost 10 inches here in the 'burbs...)
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #1506
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
....WHO'S got the 'memory loss'??? I kept adding to it, rather than posting another post (for continuity..)! ...BTW ~ you REALLY need to find those pills....mebbe takin' some ginko biloba will help...
Bahaaaa
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #1507
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

Quote:
...and today, the NYC schools were OPEN! (...we got almost 10 inches here in the 'burbs...)
Yes, we like to grow them nice & sturdy here in the Big Apple. Survival of the fittest & all. It's good training for later if they get mugged walking along those same streets.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #1508
franandaj

Quote:
Wimp!

Exactly!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #1509
kimmar067

...I promise - trippie update (Post #32 - Page 3) is the LAST update I'll do on that post (read it and you'll see why...)!
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #1510
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:

Sigh! I'll be there in a week. Sounds like I need to pack galoshes as well.

Quote:
If Post #32 process is anything to go by, let me break this to you gently....nothing is gonna help!

('Cept a stiff drink for me!)

Quote:
...I promise - trippie update (Post #32 - Page 3) is the LAST update I'll do on that post (read it and you'll see why...)!
Yeah! yeah! WhatEVIL!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 01-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #1511
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

When the trip is done she will need to keep updating because she cant remember.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #1512
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
When the trip is done she will need to keep updating because she cant remember.
Why didn't anyone New Rule her updates, so she couldn't keep changing her updates?
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #1513
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:

If Post #32 process is anything to go by, let me break this to you gently....nothing is gonna help!

('Cept a stiff drink for me!)

Yeah! yeah! WhatEVIL!
Please drink responsibly, dont need you seeing double. Sat the 22nd in Monterey looks like a beautiful day and 61 degress.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #1514
franandaj

Quote:
I can't figure out where the updates start, cuz I don't remember where we left off, so I end up having to read the freakin' post all the way through!

Quote:
Should be sunny, not warm, only in the 60s. We got our 12 inches of rain for the year last month.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #1515
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
I can't figure out where the updates start, cuz I don't remember where we left off, so I end up having to read the freakin' post all the way through!

Should be sunny, not warm, only in the 60s. We got our 12 inches of rain for the year last month.
Its raining here today. How is Long Beach?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: