Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Patio
DIS Veteran

Flying with blood clots in legs

Are you able to fly if you have blood clots in your legs? We'd love to take my Mom to Disney, but, she thinks she can't fly because of her legs. She has never flown before and the flight would be about 2 1/2 hrs. Thanks!

Patio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

It's probably a bad idea because of the period of time in a cramped space which would allow for blood to pool and the pressure changes that happen on an airplane.

But check with her doc.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

My 50yoDSis was diagnosed with a clot back in 2005. She is an executive with VERIZON and works behind the scenes not in the retail stores AND she flies everywhere with work.

She just tells the Flight Attendents that she has a clot (actually it is totally under control now) and they allow her to walk up and down the aisles on the plane while in flight.

She flew to CA with me from MA and I watched as all the FA's obliged her in her need to get up and walk whenever she felt like it. She would go from one end of the plane to the other. AND then in the airport, she would walk and walk and walk up and down the area where we were waiting for our connection.

OP, it is absolutely doable for your mom.

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Patio
DIS Veteran

I am going to check with her doctor, but, was just curious about any experiences. Thanks Disney Doll!!

Old 09-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Patio
DIS Veteran

Momrek06, thanks for the info. Her's is under control, also, I was wondering if they'd allow walking the aisles. Thank you!!

Old 09-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patio View Post
Momrek06, thanks for the info. Her's is under control, also, I was wondering if they'd allow walking the aisles. Thank you!!
Your welcome!

And 2.5 hours is so doable for her first flight. Tell her to get up every 30 minutes and walk. Do you have your seat assignments yet? Try and get an aisle for her so she can just hop up and get her walk in and sit back down and repeat!

My DSis actually kept walking while waiting for the plane to board and literally was the last one on as she will keep walking and walking until she HAS to sit down! She flies ALL OF THE TIME!

Good luck!

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Are they deep vein clots or superficial? I had a superficial one not so long ago...the Dr made me have ultrasounds every week

I flew to see my DD in Florida last month..he told me to wear compression stockings and get up every 20mins and walk which I did. When in my seat he told me to rotate my ankles periodically and also to take aspirin for a couple days before and after flying. Your Mom might already be on blood thinners?

I am still here!!

I think if you take some precautions all should be fine.....
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Disneywedding2010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patio View Post
Are you able to fly if you have blood clots in your legs? We'd love to take my Mom to Disney, but, she thinks she can't fly because of her legs. She has never flown before and the flight would be about 2 1/2 hrs. Thanks!
I had a bloot clot the full length of my leg last year and I flew many times. My doctor just told me if I could get up and walk to the bathroom and back a couple times and if not to just do exercises in my seat like moving my legs and feet to keep the circulation going.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

I have a clotting disorder and checked with my doctor before I flew last November. I did not have clots at the time, but asked him how to prevent them. His advice was to get up and walk every 20 minutes or so. Also to make sure to not cross my legs while seated. He suggested booking a seat in the last row where I could stand up for most of the flight if I wanted.

I spoke with the flight attendants about my need to walk because of a medical issue, and they were great. On the way there, the FA kept coming to me going "It's time for your walk now!" and they joked about making me deliver snacks since I was already up and about
Old 09-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
He suggested booking a seat in the last row where I could stand up for most of the flight if I wanted.
that's a really good idea.

I've never been on a flight where they restricted walking, except for takeoff, landing, and turbulence, but they DO get stressy if you're too close to the cockpit and standing. So to be towards the back would probably be good just for standing up purposes.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
Aristomommy
We were in the “wild animals” cage, which was very fitting for us

I had clots in my left leg in 2005. Once everything stabilized, I was allowed to fly. Initially I flew with compression socks, walked every hour during an 8 hour flight and I gave myself a heparin injection prior to the flight. Now I take Dr recommended dose of aspirin. My left leg swells quite a bit even on short flights, so I recommend a good compression sock.

Always Planning My Next Disney Trip

Aristomommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Also, have her drink a good amount of water.

pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
Witch Mountain
Mouseketeer

I have flown with clots twice, one flight with Southwest, one with Delta. Both were fantastic. When I checked in, I informed the ground crew that I had active clots in my leg.

Each pre-boarded me and I was able to walk up and down. The attendants on the Delta flight (4 hours) were fantastic about letting me do leg stretches in the back galley area. I got the impression that they're quite familiar with assisting passengers with clotting issues.

SW suggested the first seat in the front row, Delta had assigned seats, but I usually choose an aisle seat due to this issue.

The first time, in 2004, my doctor diagnosed it 12 hours before I was supposed to get on the plane and gave me a note. The second (in 2007), I was under ongoing care with a vascular surgeon and he and I talked about how it went the previous time.

A PP recommended compression socks, if she's not already using them, that's another thing to check with the doctor. There are differing strengths. For instance, I'm usually in 30/40 density, while a relative with the same disorder that causes these clots have 10/20s, which are less restrictive.

It's great that you're asking now. Please have her follow up with her doctor, because no two patients (or clots for that matter) are the same. While my doctors cleared me for flying, there was another time where I had a clot that I know if the situation to fly came up, my doctor would have told me no way in hell would he advise me to do so.
Witch Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
judypriv
Mouseketeer

We are dealing with this now. My dad went to the ER sunday and it turns out he has a clot in his arm. He's been in on a IV drip of hyperoin (sp?) and comudin (sp?) and he feels fine and looks great. So far his cardiovascular doctors told him he can go ( he had a triple by pass in March 2010 and then a stent last January 2 weeks before our WDW trip) and have fun but our family doctor has said probably not and he is still waiting to hear from the vascular doctor. The flight is about 2 1/2 hours. I feel terrible for him since he was so happy to go and since we leave thursday night I don't think we can get anything refunded for him either. Poor Daddy!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

ONLY her doctor can make that decision. Last year - I was unable to fly, due to blood clot possibilities.

This year - I got the OK from my heart doctor to go to FL or CA by plane! I am very excited! We drive to FL - so CALIF here we come!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: