Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #91
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
It doesn't sound like too bad of a start, Tanya! Except the unnecessary complaining. But, hey, sounds like your hubby just wants you to be comfortable. I"m with you though, curling up in bed after a hot bath for some extra cozy time sounds wonderful!

Ready for more.
That may have been his excuse - but really, he just likes to have things his way. Doesn't matter if it's important - if he thinks he's being slighted, or that he isn't getting what he is entitled to he raises a stink. I wish I had some of those magic sedatives that they always have in the tv shows where they jab them with a needle and they immediately fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Okay, maybe it is a matter of perspective, or a "man" thing, but unlike Liesa I thought it sounded like you were off to a rough start with the hassles. Free Room is good though. On our upcoming trip this December we will probably use some of our accumulated points for a room on the trip down. Right now I'm not 100% sure if we will be going half way after I go in to work, or if I will end up being off and driving all the way down and then staying off-property the first night until we check in at Kidani the next day!

100 1-hit wonders? On a pink TV picture?? Sounds like a wonderful evening to me....... I wouldn't have really enjoyed all the driving back and forth, but sometimes you just have to do what you just have to do!!!

Can't wait for the Disney magic to kick in! Hope the rest of your trip was truly magical!!!

The driving back and forth was somewhat optional. My mom offered to drive me over, but with that would have come the possibility of one of us thinking the other had something and we both leave it behind. So he decided, especially since we had the time change working in our favor, that he would just rack up the miles. That also made it easier when he got there late at night already having his room key.

As for the rest of the trip, well, lets just say it gets worse (much worse) before it gets better. Cue ominous music.......

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)
Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #92
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Every trip needs a little drama, right? Oh well, just take it in stride.

I've watched some "One hit wonders" shows, but never on a pink TV. I don't think I would've liked that.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #93
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Every trip needs a little drama, right? Oh well, just take it in stride.

I've watched some "One hit wonders" shows, but never on a pink TV. I don't think I would've liked that.
Oh, you ain't seen nothin' 'till you've seen Flock of Seagulls and Georgia Satellites with a decidedly pink hue

I would love to have a trip with just a little drama. When I get to our check in experience I will probably flip and start making excuses for him....but he really does need to learn how to behave in public.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #94
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Welcome back...we've missed you around here. Sorry things were off to a rough start; hope they get better soon.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #95
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

I have some errands to run tomorrow (the people in this house seem to think we should have food on hand ), and Thursday I have a doctor's appt, so hopefully Friday I can get back to this, drink some coffee and get the ugly part of the trip down and out of the way so I can get to the good stuff. Maybe I will find some time before then - but that's my goal now.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #96
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

wow what a start...glad you made it home okay, cant wait to read more.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 11-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #97
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
I have some errands to run tomorrow (the people in this house seem to think we should have food on hand ), and Thursday I have a doctor's appt, so hopefully Friday I can get back to this, drink some coffee and get the ugly part of the trip down and out of the way so I can get to the good stuff. Maybe I will find some time before then - but that's my goal now.
We're not going anywhere...we'll be waiting.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #98
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
wow what a start...glad you made it home okay, cant wait to read more.
Don't remember if I commented on you TR or not - but my DVR-ing of Undercover Boss was unsuccessful. It shows up in my history as "Done" but it is not in my list of shows that I recorded. There was also a show I recorded for my son that isn't there at all so I don't know what happened. But, you did say that you guys didn't make the final cut didn't you - other than a possible, blurry cameo?

Another "celebrity sighting" I missed was this last weeks Home Makeover. They re-did a pre-school in Nashville that was literally washed away in the floods last spring. My husband's cousin's daughter works at that pre-school and was a volunteer during the make-over. I had a total brain-fart and forgot to watch it.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #99
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Ok - I have a little bit of time before I need to leave, so let me get Sunday started. I won't get to the bad stuff so it should go quickly.

Woke up Sunday morning around 6:30, took my shower and got dressed. I had unpacked our Saturday night suitcase so it was empty and I could just repack it with our dirty clothes. We were leaving that suitcase in the car while we were gone. I did have to drag our bathroom stuff out of our trip suitcase,t hough so they weren't left totally untouched. The time change was that night, but since we were going to Florida I didn't change my watch since it would be right when I got there.

Danny got up and around and we went down for breakfast. The juice machine was broken so they just had a pitcher each of orange and apple juice in with the yogurt and stuff. I looked around to see what was offered, they had scrambled eggs, sausage links, and biscuits and gravy in the hot food, and pastries, cold cereal, fruit, bagels, bread & muffins, yogurt....and I think maybe a pot of oatmeal. None of it particularly appealed to me. I got a spoonful of eggs.....I don't usually like buffet scrambled eggs....these were no exception. They were ok - not great, one sausage link, and I made a piece of "toast". I'm not sure what was up with that toaster, but one side was nearly black when I popped it out, while the other side hadn't seen any heat whatsoever. Not the greatest breakfast in the world. As I was throwing away my trash I spotted someone eating a waffle Where did they find the waffles???? So I scanned the room again - oh - they are on the wall opposite all the other food on a little table. As you come in the door the wall to the immediate left was beverages and cold cereal, as you round the corner you run in to the hot food. The backt quarter of that wall is empty, the back wall is empty, you round the corner again - and there is the "waffle station". Danny was already done eating, and I had to finish putting my machine away and gathering up our stuff - plus - I was going to Disney World where there is lots of good food! But I really wish I had seen that waffle station when I first went in.

Back upstairs we make sure everything is put back in the right suitcase. DH weighs our checked luggage to make sure we don't need to re-distribute anything. Then he goes down and gets a cart to haul all of our stuff to the car.

The airport is just a little further down the road and we are there in no time. He drops me off at the front door and drags in the 2 suitcases, my tote bag, and my machine bag. I sit with my little pile of luggage while he goes and parks. He brings his camera bag with him when he comes back. Bloomington airport is pretty small. We go to the AirTran counter, ring the bell (there is never anyone at the desk just waiting) and check our luggage. Then we go through security where we strike up a bizarre conversation about my husband's name (Danny Thomas) and how fewer and fewer people make the connection that it is a "famous" name. Then the TSA guy tells me that I am probably to young to have heard of "Alice's Restaurant" and that his kids thought he was referring to the sit-com "Alice" and not the extremely long, extremely strange Arlo Guthrie song. While I was caught up in that conversation, Danny was going through the scanner. I still had to take my shoes off, get the iPad out of my tote bag to put in a separate tray, then they told me just to lay my cane on the belt by itself. Meanwhile another gal is in line behind me trying to pile her stuff on - then Danny gets motioned aside. He has to go off to the side and have his hands scanned. So I am trying to gather up all my stuf that's spread out all over the place, plus his shoes, his camera bag, his laptop that he had to take out of the camera bag, my machine....and the gal behind me is fussing because her stuff isn't coming through yet. Danny's hand scan comes back ok, we get past the obviously bored TSA agaent and went upstairs to the gate....and sat. We were there and settled in probably around 9 - for a 10:26 flight. We were the first ones at the gate. I had a soduku book, so I did a couple of those. DH fiddled around on his iPad. We called home - oh wait - we were there a little before 9 because Ryne leaves for Sunday School at 9 and we called home to make sure he was up and ready to go - he was. And we sat some more. Then DH went and got 3 diet Pepsis. We shared one and he packed the other 2 in with my machine - to be rationed out slowly over the week of Pepsi-deprivation.

When somebody finally turned up at the counter he asked if we could board early. He always gives a sob story about needing to make sure I can get my machine stored away safely - and then he says I have trouble getting down the aisles and he nods to my cane. I don;t actually use the cane going down the aisle of the plane - I do use it when I am chasing him through an airport since he can't seem to slow his pace to my speed. It doesn't make me any quicker, but it makes me hurt a little less - and gives me something to threaten him with. They let us board in the first group after business class, and we got settled in. The plane was 5 seats across and we were on the 2-seater side.

Going down was fine - we got our little cup of diet coke (getting us ready for our Pepsi free vacation) and our little graham cracker cookie things. It was a direct flight and we got there a few minutes early.

Then came the Amazing Race - Orlando airport style. We got off the plane and off he went. He was rushing to get to the elevator, to the fake monorail thing.....rush rush rush. He gets a ways ahead of me then stops and turns around and waits until I almost get caught up then he turns and is off again. I don't know what his big hurry is - I assume he is not going anywhere until I get there anyway. So we continue with his rush, turn, wait, rush again routine all the way to the Magical Express. We get there and are siphoned off to line B. From there we are narrowed further down to the Boardwalk line.

We go through the queue, get to the front only to see that it switches back and forth before you get to the real front. Only there is nobody else in the line. DH ducks under the line and tells me to do the same. Just as I am considering it (I wasn't quite caught up with him yet), one of CMs comes over and says she will let us out because our bus is here already. So instead of winding through the line she opened up the end and motioned us over to a waiting bus. Well, there is one complaining point out of the way. Oh wait, spoke too soon. We get to the bus and Danny is explaining to the driver that my bag with my machine is medical equipment and to lay it on its back. He smiles and nods and probably didn't understand a word he said. We get on the bus and it's only a few minutes until we take off. The driver says he will be stopping at Port Orleans, Swan, Dolphin, Beach & Yacht Club and Boardwalk. Mr. Grumpy-pants grumbles that we will probably be the last stop. Wrong again - we were the 2nd stop.

Mr Smile-and-Nod Bus Driver drags my machine out from underneath the bus with a bang on the ground - apparently not thinking "be careful with it - it's medical equipment" means anything. DH gives him a tip anyway and in we go.

There's only one family ahead of us in line so the wait wasn't terribly long getting checked in. I had a moment of concern when I told the gal we would be paying down traveler's checks on our room (this resulted in a scene on our summer trip - but I guess I haven't got that far on that TR). She wasn't familiar with handling traveler's checks, but figured it out quickly and we were over that hurdle. Our room was ready and she gave us our packet and room keys and told us the general direction of where to go to find it. I think her directions were go through that door and look for the signs.

So since we are checked in, we have charging privileges, we have a room that is ready, I am headed over to bell services to get my scooter and to tell them what room to deliver my dialysis soltution to. I think this is where I will stop. This is about the point that all my pixie dust ran out. The slightly early flight, the bus ready and waiting, the hotel only being the second stop, the room being ready - used up every speck of pixie dust I had lying around.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #100
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Oooh...I'm not liking the sound of the "pixie dust" running out. That was great that your plane was on time, you got the bus right away and your room was ready...those things help when starting your trip.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #101
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Tanya, I'm sorry I've been missing. I got real behind on all the reports I follow. I'm slowly trying to get caught up.

I really enjoyed all the "way back" photos and information. Your memory is amazing. There is no way I would be able to remember as much as you have.

Your start to this trip doesn't sound too bad yet, but that ending has a real foreboding feeling to it. I hope it's not too bad.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 11-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #102
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

maybe he was just checking the airport in front of you to make sure it was all clear like the secret service does for the president.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 11-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #103
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post

Sun - Go to airport way too early for 10:26 flight.
1:45 land in Orlando and drag carry-on stuff to Magical Express
3-ish arrive at Boardwalk and get checked in. Check on dialysis supplies and scooter. Hopefully get settled in room
Go to Studios, buy new annual passes and try to catch Fantasmic
The above is correct clear up until you get to “Check on dialysis supplies and scooter”.

At the Boardwalk the check in desks are along a long wall. As you are facing them to the left is the the Bell Services desk. Clear at the other end of the lobby, to the right of check in is the concierge desk.

We checked in, got our room assignment. I headed over to the Bell Services where, for the last half a dozen trips I’ve done since I’ve been using a scooter and doing dialysis is where I need to go to collect my items. Danny followed me over there. I waited a little bit because there weren’t very many bell service people there, and the ones that were there were occupied. When it was my turn I told the guy that I had a scooter to pick up and had some boxes of medical supplies delivered last week that I needed sent to my room. He told me I needed to go to the concierge desk.

So I go to the concierge desk, Danny’s portion of this trip included going to the Children’s Miracle Network Golf tournament that was being held at the Palm and the Magnolia. Last year when we came the “tickets” (just a tag that you wear at the tourney) were in a stack at the check in desk. We did ask about it at check in and were referred to concierge for that too. At the concierge desk I go to Mariea – a nice girl who has no idea what she is in for. (oh – Danny is already starting to bubble – he’s not mad yet, but he doesn’t think we are supposed to be at concierge for something that we have always gotten at bell services) I tell Mariea that I was just at Bell services (so she wouldn’t send me back to them) and that they had sent me over here to get my scooter and set up my box delivery. She called over to Bell services – I forget now what she said to them. I think she also looked up to see if I had any boxes and did see that there was a delivery for me. Then we also asked her about the golf tourney tickets. That totally baffled her. She had no idea there was a golf tournament taking place on Disney property. We explained its an annual event, and that last year the tickets were just in a stack at check in, but this year they told us to go to concierge. After already being told that Bell Services passed the buck on the scooter and boxes, you could tell she was a little frustrated with everyone being sent “to concierge”. Everybody else at the desk was busy. She made a couple different phone calls – I don’t know to who but whoever they were, they also had no clue about the golf tournament. She told us that she knew they didn’t sell the tickets there. Danny pipes in with they aren’t “sold” they are just available for guests. He is still civil, but is getting frustrated (not good). Finally the gal at the next station finishes with her guest and Mariea asks her if she knows anything about it.

Now – have you ever seen the big placemat looking thing that they have right there by their printers and stuff that show all the different ticket options when you are buying your tickets at the resort? Well, in that same little stand up file – just inches away from where she has been this entire time is another big placemat thing full of information about the golf tournament. On it, it says that you just go over to the course and show them your resort id and you get your admission ticket there. Danny says “Are you sure I am not going to get all the way over there and need something else?” She pulled out the thing again and he read it himself and seemed somewhat satisfied. Ok – one issue down – now where’s my scooter and boxes???

She went in the back to look for my scooter and I didn’t think we would ever see her again. After listening to Danny sigh, and huff and puff for awhile about how nobody seems to know anything around here….blah, blah, blah, I thought it might be a good idea to remove him. So I told him to go ahead and see where the room is at and take the stuff down there.

I thought I was pretty smart. Eventually – Mariea came back. She had been gone at least 20 minutes if not more – so at this point we had probably been there about an hour. When she came back she said my scooter was back there, but that it was dead and there was no battery charger. She called some number a couple times an it must have been busy – then she asked me if I rented it there – I think Buena Vista rents scooters on site at Boardwalk. I told her that, no I had rented it from Walkers (which is plastered all over the scooter). She didn’t have that number handy, so I got out my confirmation and she called them. They had her go back and check again because the charger would be “in a pouch on the back”. She was very adamant on the phone that it was not there. In fact she got a little snippy with them saying “I wouldn’t lie about it”. So Walkers said they would be there in 10 minutes. Well, their 10 minutes is a lot longer than 10 minutes.

Somewhere in there Danny called on my cell and told me that I better hope they find my scooter because our room is a mile away and that it’s like an ice-cube in there and the thermostat is an antique, and there is a message on the phone that he can’t get to clear…..and….well, he was really getting himself worked up. I told him that they found my scooter, that the battery was dead and I was waiting for Walkers. Yeah – that went over well.

Instead of standing at the desk, I went and sat down and waited for Walkers. I got a phone call from Walkers about the same time I saw some guy riding a scooter over to the concierge desk. The call was to tell me that the scooter had been there the entire time, that the battery was not dead, that someone had put it in freewheel mode – when it’s in freewheel the key doesn’t work – it just flashes. And as for no charger. Well, I got the kind I like – just the plug in cord, instead of the one that has a battery attached to the cord. So it was just stuck in the back pocket of the seat. Mariea, being in concierge instead of bell services, does not usually deal with scooters so was unfamiliar with “freewheel” and thought all the scooters had the big charger with the battery. Had bell services went in got it there probably would not have been an issue. So that’s two issues down – only one to go!

Oh wait – while Danny was in the room he was getting madder and madder about the thermostat and the phone. When we checked in DVC had left an envelope for us. The message on our phone was for us to get that. We already had it. But when he followed the directions it took him to the front desk and they didn’t seem to know anything.

Apparently sitting in the room alone wasn’t working for him, so he came back to the lobby. I had moved on to trying to get my boxes. Well, while I was talking to Walkers, Mariea got busy with another guest, so the gal who had helped out with the golf info asked if she could help me. She could tell I was waiting for something else. I told her I had some boxes delivered that I needed sent to my room. She looked on the computer and said something about an envelope. I told her I already had that, that these were 6 boxes of dialysis fluid that were delivered last week. She asked how I knew they were delivered – if I had called to confirm it. I told her I hadn’t called there, but that my supplier told me they had a confirmation on Friday morning. So here we go again on the phone. She calls somewhere and gets somebody and then she is on hold for a good 15-20 minutes. I asked her if she had somebody, or was trying to get through. She said she talked to them, and they were going to look to see if the boxes were there – and if they couldn’t get them to me tonight they would get them to me in the morning. I was aching from standing, I was hungry because breakfast was half burnt toast and fake eggs a very long time ago, I knew my husband was brewing for an explosion and now she is telling me that I may not get my boxes until tomorrow. I told her that was totally unacceptable – that I do dialysis every night and that I needed those boxes today.

While she is still on hold, here comes Danny back to the lobby, Mariea is freed up again so he goes to her. He is complaining (loudly) that the thermostat is outdated and he wants switched to a different room. She says they are all the same. He says that we were here last year in a studio and he knows it wasn’t the same type of thermostat. The one in our room only had dots on it – no numbers – so you couldn’t set “a temperature” you could only say “gee it’s cold in here” and move it and hope that it didn’t get too warm.

While he is griping about that – and about the message that won’t clear the gal I am with finally has life on the other end of the line. She says a few things and hangs up. Then she tells me my boxes are there, they will send them right over, and it will be $10 per box delivery fee.

Now I am ticked. I said “since when?” She looked confused. I said “when did they start charging a fee to give me my boxes?” She, evidently seeing this was going nowhere good, fast picked the phone back up and called back over to the place. She told them I was questioning the charge, I told her it was medical supplies ,she relayed it, told me it was $10 a box and asked if I wanted to talk to her. So she passed the phone over to me. The gal on the other end I would have very much loved to slapped. Granted, she didn’t see how tight I was strung, trying to keep Danny from going ape-crap, while I am also very upset. I asked her when they started charging this. She said they had been there since 2009. (At some point I was told they were a 3rd party package handler). I told her I was just here in June and wasn’t charged anything and had even more boxes – and if it was just a Boardwalk thing than I was here in Nov 2009 and had boxes and wasn’t charged – that this was the first time I had ever heard of anybody charging for my boxes. Then I explained that these were medical supplies – that she can even read on the side of the box what it is, and that if I were shipping down my luggage so I didn’t have to deal with it in the airport that I could see having a delivery fee – but that these are necessary medical supplies. She could really care less – kind of chuckled and said that they get all kinds of medical supplies, oxgen and what-have-you and that that is the fee, And if I have a problem with it that I should complain to the front desk for not notifying me about it.

I think during this conversation Danny figured out what was going on and "ka-boom" he became “that” guy – the one that you see on You Tube videos. He was loud, and embarrassing, and could not be shut up or calmed down. He was bellowing how all Disney does is try to screw the visitors anymore – everything is about money – anything they can jab you with they will ……and once he’s on a roll….well, then he threw in the antique thrmostat, and that he was 56 years old and even when he was a kid the thermostats had numbers on them, and nobody knows anything, he’s tried to clear the message off his phone and nobody can seem to get it cleared, and we’re gonna sell our points and this is it he’s never coming again everytime he comes its just worse and worse. And he was getting louder and louder, and there were some decidedly non-Disney-appropriate words thrown about.

Then manager, some poor girl named Maureen, had come out earlier during my box phone call. She was trying to calm him down – talking softly like you do to wild animals – she was explaining that the charge for delivery was not a Disney charge so she could not waive it, but that she would credit our account for half of it for the mis-understanding. He was not calming at all he was loud and determined he was not paying one dime that those were medically necessary and they “would” deliver them. She said that the package place issues the charge when they release them so she could not get around that. She kept asking him to lower his voice which only caused him to raise it and say things like “Why, don’t you want anybody else hearing how Disney screws over its guests”. She told him that no, she didn’t care, but it was her job to maintain the lobby. So he asked if there was somewhere else we could go – she said there wasn’t and if he didn’t lower his voice that she would call security over. Yes, he was that loud, and that obnoxious. He made some crack about them not giving me my boxes and me dying in their hotel because they refused to give them to me. She told him that she was not refusing to give me the boxes, he was refusing to take them. But that was a vicous circle because of the fee. He finally told her to deliver one for that night and he would have them deliver more to him directly tomorrow.

Then we went to the room – we had been in the lobby for a little over two hours.

I got into the room and he’s going on and on about the lack of plug-ins that I had to drive my scooter clear in to the middle of the living room to charge it. At Beach Club in the entry way there was a plug in, there weren’t any there at Boardwalk. The rooms are laid out pretty much the same - but fewer plug ins.

Then I looked in the bedroom to see how and where I could set up my machine. Well, the plug in for my side of the bed – was behind the bed. Could nothing go easy????

And the message light was still flashing. I called it and there was a message from Maureen saying there were 2 different kinds of boxes so they were going to send over one of each since she didn’t know which I needed. I thought the light would clear off after that. It didn’t. I called again and followed all the directions and got someone who said “ok, I’ll clear that off” she didn’t. Danny called again a little while later, was told the same thing – nothing. So he called again and said, calmly, but you could tell he was holding it in that we had called 5 or 6 times, and nobody seems to be able to clear the message light off the phone. This gal apparently could because it finally went away – success at last!!

Then Housekeeping showed up to show him how to work the thermostat. She was not helpful – and while not loud, he was snippy with her. She said she would send over maintenance. What he was looking for was whether the dots stood for numbers – If they were actually 80, 70, 60….or what? Maintenance told him the same as everybody else – it’s just “warmer – colder”. He grumbled and we fought the temperatures all week. Of course it didn’t help that the actual temperatures outside were hot to cold too. It’s easier to keep your room the right temperature when it’s always hot out or always cold but when it fluctuates so much it’s not so easy.

The next couple of hours were spent in silence – with him periodically ordering me to order new boxes. I told him it was Sunday I couldn’t get any. He said there had to be some way – what if they hadn’t been delivered. Well, there was an emergency number that I made the mistake of mentioning. So he insisted I call it. I refused. I told him that Baxter (my supplier) would not consider my boxes sitting at the resort and us not accepting them an emergency. You could tell he was disgusted with me too. So then he told me that I was done with Baxter that I needed to find a new supplier and that we weren’t traveling again until I got a kidney….. and more silence. I was sitting in the chair in the bedroom waiting for him to blow over. Every so often he would leave the room. One time after he left the luggage showed up so I sent him a text message.

He came back and said he knew – he’d seen them in the hall and to not unpack it.

Whatever – I wasn’t going to anyway – they are too heavy for me to throw up on the bed to unpack – and I was pretty settled in to sulking in my chair.

Eventually – about 7PM – he said “let’s find something to eat”. It was grumbled – but the steam was no longer rolling so he was finally coming down off his fit. (Looking back at my call history – the call from Walkers about my scooter was at 3:49 – I had called Baxters 800# (which is closed on Sundays) at 5:17. So it was literally hours that we spent doing absolutely nothing in our room while he fumed.

We walked (when I say "walked" that means he walked - I was on my scooter) out of Boardwalk – I had no idea where he was going – we had no park tickets, so I figured we would eat at Boardwalk or Beach Club. He headed towards International Gateway and as we got close to the ticket window he said “go get your ticket” (not “our”). I got to the window and said “I need two?? Annual Passes DVC rate” and kind of looked at him to see if he was going to correct me. He didn’t say a word. She asked for our ids and printed our tickets. He got Minnie I got Donald – how backwards is that???? Then he noticed she had the Food & Wine gift cards that you can wear on your wrist there. I had told him I wanted to get one – so he pointed it out and said that I should get that now. I put $50 on the gift card (at 7:18PM) and off we went. nearly 5 1/2 hours after landing.

Supper was a silent meal of a chili cheese dog for me and chicken nuggets and a cup of chili for him at the American pavillion. From there we walked over to Germany. We got to the new carmel shop and he said “Here – isn’t this the place you wanted to see”. It was extremely crowded and you couldn’t really see the display case so we left.

He suggested that we head out before it got too crowded with Illuminations. At about that time the Jon Secada concert let out and we were caught trying to get past that crowd.

From there we went back to the resort and to the giftshop where he picked up some bread, butter, a bag of cheetos, peanut butter, and I got a couple bottles of strawberry milk. He also asked the cashier about the DVC-only Vinylmation – which she had – and he bought one of those. She said there were 2 versions but she only had the first one.

As we went in to the building to go back to the room Danny said – go talk to “your friend Maureen” (said sneeringly) and do what you have to – but I don’t want to hear a word about it. Basically he was “giving me permission” to do exactly what I intended to do the next day anyway. I went to concierge, told her to go ahead and have the rest of the boxes shipped, and deduct whatever she could. And that I wanted all the contact number she had for this 3rd party company so I could contact them when I got home.

Back in the room we got all the stuff unpacked and put away, got my machine set up. Danny was running around in just his sleeping shorts when there was a knock on the door at about 10 or so. He went and hid in the bathroom (dork) while I let the guy in with the rest of my boxes. When he left, Danny moved them from the entryway to the closet, I changed for bed, got hooked up, went to bed, and started reading my book, he went out in the living room and piddled on his computer for awhile.

Nothing was accomplished today.

The big question – “Why do I put up with it????” I don’t know. I’m used to it, I guess. His father was exactly the same way. They blow up hard and loud and ugly then when they are “over it” they think everybody else should be over it too. I have seen it play out numerous times. I try to intervene and cut him off and take over certain conversations. Sometimes it works – sometimes it doesn’t. This time there were so many little things going wrong in so many locations that I couldn’t stamp them all out before they started igniting.

If I haven’t totally scared all of you off at this point – I will say that that was the last of it. If we could erase our time in the lobby and the subsequent carry-over into the room – the trip was good. There were no more blow-ups. There was the occasional smart aleck reference to the blow-up….but no more “scenes”.

And this is why, although I would love to meet you someday, I will probably never set up a Dis meet. I would hate to subject anybody to one of his moods - even though I am confident he would never blow up at any of you I would be mortified if we, say met for lunch, then later that evening he's blowing his top about something as you happen to walk by. So I remain semi-anonymous on vacation. Yes, I have posted pictures, and yes I give the dates that I am there, so technically, if we were there at the same time we could run in to each other and maybe recognize each other. If it happens organically - so be it - but I will probably never set it up in advance. That doesn't mean I love you all any less I am just trying to protect you all (and myself) from a potentially awkward situation.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #104
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Oh wow, Tanya. Not a magical afternoon. I'm sorry to read about that, it sounded pretty awful. Spending 2 hours in the lobby would try anybody's patience though.

Please tell me that you did not need special tickets for the golf tournament.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #105
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

No - the golf tournament was fine. Apparently having stacks of tickets at the check in desks of all the resorts wasn't efficient. So instead of that, you just had to show your resort id when you entered the tourny. That probably makes more sense - there were probably people in years past that didn't know to get them at their resort and got all the way over there with no ticket.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: