Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #76
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

In Two weeks.....

Two weeks from today we leave!!

Sort of..... On Saturday night we are spending the night at a hotel close to the airport. Danny's going to run me over there in the afternoon then go back home because he has to record a play out at the college for the theater dept. That will give me time to get my dialysis started early so I can get unhooked and get my machine packed back up for our flight on Sunday morning.

Initial sketchy plans.

Sat. - Go to Bloomington, do dialysis, watch TV, try to sleep

Sun - Go to airport way too early for 10:26 flight.
1:45 land in Orlando and drag carry-on stuff to Magical Express
3-ish arrive at Boardwalk and get checked in. Check on dialysis supplies and scooter. Hopefully get settled in room
Go to Studios, buy new annual passes and try to catch Fantasmic

Mon - DH planning to go to AK early and spend time trying to get the perfect pictures on the safari and the walking trails. I will probably hit Epcot and try some of the Food & Wine stands.....well, the food stands anyway.
That evening we plan to go back to the studios for the Osborne Lights. I don't know how smart that is since it's the first night they will be lit and I imagine it will be a zoo - but it's also extra magic hours that night so DH seems to think that will give us a better opportunity (more time) to see the lights. Since we are at Boardwalk we can take the walking path to get "home" so the crowds won't affect us as far as transportation

Tues - Right now it's penciled in as another Epcot day. We have reservations for Biergarten that evening, so we will be there in the evening for sure.

Wed - Reservations for breakfast at Kona Cafe. Our plans are to cut through Epcot and take the monorail over to the Ticket Center - I think DH says we are walking from there. It's a 10:15 reservation so with Epcot opening at 9 we should be ok. AFter breakfast we plan to go to Magic Kingdom and maybe stick around for the Electrical Parade. Well, we will stick around - because he wants to get pictures of the castle all lit up, it's just a matter of whether we take time to watch the parade (I vote yes!)

Thurs - DH is going over to the Children's Miracle Network Golf Tourny. How long he stays will depend on the weather. Last year when we came it was cold and windy that day and he didn't stay very long. I spent my morning hopping from one long indoor attraction to another (Country Bears, Presidents, Philharmagic.....). No plans for that evening yet since we don't know when he will come back. Don't know if I will go back to Epcot or somewhere else - depends on how hectic the Food & Wine festival is, and if I have any luck finding anything I like.

Fri - up in the air. We have to pack and turn in our luggage in the morning. Our flight is at 8PM so we will probably have to meet the Magic Express around 5 - so we do have most of the day. He may go back to the golf tourny for a little bit.

Sometime we will try to go to DTD. That's the only place on my list that I will have to take a bus (hate using the scooter on a bus). We thought about doing that Friday - but if we buy anything our luggage would already be checked so we'll have to see on that.

The Eat to the Beat performers at Epcot are Jon Secada (Sun), Hanson (Mon-Tues), Rick Springfield (Wed Thurs) and Big Bad VooDoo Daddy (Fri - we'll be gone already). The only one I have a half an interest in is Rick Springfield, but I don't know if we will be over there either of those nights. It's not a priority.

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)
Old 10-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #77
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Can't believe your trip is only two weeks away. Your plans sound absolutely great.

RIP Genie
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #78
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

One week left!!!

sat sun mon tues wed thurs fri sat-bloomington
sun mon tues wed thurs

I'm not officially packed yet - but all of my clothes are folded and in a pile on the couch. Just waiting for DH to decide which suitcase he wants to take.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #79
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

You are soooooooooooo magically close now, Tanya!!! I"ll bet all your bags are packed and ready to go, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight???

Old 10-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #81
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Only one more week.

RIP Genie
Old 11-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #82
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Just a few days left - I am so behind on reading everybody's trip reports it isn't funny! I'm missing all the Judy's, the movie quotes, the letters, the pole dancing, and all the other mischief!

My husband is recording the play out at the local jr College. Dress rehearsals started Monday night, so we went out Monday & Tuesday to film it and take pictures. Filming it, so he can get a feel for where the action takes place so on the nights of the performances he won't be jerking the camera around looking for the action. And I was taking pictures because they don't like pictures being taken during the actual performance - plus with a full house it's hard to get good pics without getting in someone's way. Tonight I stayed home and Mark went with him instead. Tonight is the first full-dress and make-up with a partial audience. Some of the theater appreciation students come tonight and get extra credit. The actual performances are Thurs, Fri & Sat.

Saturday we are leaving home around 1. That will get us to Bloomington and the hotel around 2:30 - hopefully, with a 3 o'clock check in, they will be able to let me in a little early. He will haul everything in and turn around and go back to the college, film the final performance, go home and load it on to one of the hard drives at home then drive back over to Bloomington. He should get there around 11 or so. Lucky for him that is daylight savings time and with the time change he will gain an hour.

Then it's rise and shine and off to Florida!!!

In our car going to Bloomington it looks like we will have 2 suitcases (to check), one suitcase that holds my dialysis machine, one bag that has all his camera equipment, one suitcase for Saturday night (we'll leave it in the car at the airport) plus my tote bag with my purse and a book and whatever. And possibly an empty bag for my machine. We bought 3 suitcases this week trying to find one that my machine will fit in that meets the carry-on guidelines. What a mess! Most 21" bags would fit if they didn't have a lip around the lid. If they had squared off corners and the zipper was on the outermost edge my machine would fit. But most of them have rounded corners, and the actual opening is slightly smaller than the available dimensions of the bag. But if we go to a bigger one they are close or over on the maximum dimensions for a carry-on. I don't trust my dialysis machine with checked luggage - even plane-side checking scares me. Of the 3 we bought (I took 2 back today) we found one that if we use a shoe horn we can slide it down past the corners and it fits ok. Hopefully, after taking it in and out a couple times it will stretch a little and not be such a pain - but for now - we have a plan. He is bringing the extra bag (no wheels - very heavy to carry through orlando airport) just in case. In case of what I don't know, but he said we would throw it in the car.

We are only going to be in WDW for 5 nights - our luggage will look like we're never coming back.....

Have fun - and take a break from all your reports so I can catch up when I get home!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #83
KatMark
DIS Veteran

If I miss you, have a great trip. Will look forward to your TR when you get back.

RIP Genie
Old 11-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #84
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great

Hey Tanya, don't worry about missing out. We all ebb and flow on here as time allows! The important thing is to check back when you can, and most of all have a wonderfully, magical time!! (so you can come back here and tell us all about it! )

Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #85
marvali
DIS Veteran

Tanya, it is almost here!!! Heading to the world on Sunday!!!

Hope you have a great trip and perfect weather!!!

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #86
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
If I miss you, have a great trip. Will look forward to your TR when you get back.
Thanks - but I still have 2 boys sitting in the back of the car in the airport parking lot looking for missing DVDs on our June trip. So who knows when you will hear about this trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Hey Tanya, don't worry about missing out. We all ebb and flow on here as time allows! The important thing is to check back when you can, and most of all have a wonderfully, magical time!! (so you can come back here and tell us all about it! )
Skipped Christmas shopping with my mom today to re-pack (we decided to take 2 suitcases after all, so now I need to spread things out between the two of them) and to catch up on my TRs. Went shopping with mom Tuesday - figured twice in one week was over-kill......actually, for me, Christmas shopping with my mother is a one day a year obligation....if we both survive I figure we pressed our luck enough for one year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Tanya, it is almost here!!! Heading to the world on Sunday!!!

Hope you have a great trip and perfect weather!!!
Checked the 10 day forecast last night and it looks like the highs are supposed to be 78-83 and the lows in the low 50s.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #87
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

I'm home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
Two weeks from today we leave!!

Sort of..... On Saturday night we are spending the night at a hotel close to the airport. Danny's going to run me over there in the afternoon then go back home because he has to record a play out at the college for the theater dept. That will give me time to get my dialysis started early so I can get unhooked and get my machine packed back up for our flight on Sunday morning.

Initial sketchy plans.

Sat. - Go to Bloomington, do dialysis, watch TV, try to sleep
Saturday went pretty much according to plan. We left home around 12:30 and drove to Bloomington (about 80 miles away). Mark (DS17) had a speech meet that day so he was already gone. Ryne (DS19) rode over with us and was going to go to the play with Danny that evening.

We got to Bloomington and went to LaGondola for lunch. Ryne had meatballs (not a meatball sandwich – just a bowl of meatballs ), Danny had a torpedo and I had a lasagna dinner. It came with a dinner salad and garlic bread. We also ordered some cinnamon bread. Ryne ate 7 pieces of cinnamon bread, Danny got one…..I got none. Danny also helped on my garlic bread.

From there we went to the Country Inn and Suites where we had a free room. It was from some promotion that had been offered earlier this summer, so it didn’t cost us any cash or any of our points – can’t complain about free! Or can you?? Have you met my husband? No? Well, there’s a reason for that…… We get checked in and go up to our room. It’s a nice room, carpet looks new, we have a King bed, a little table and chairs, and a whirlpool tub in our room. Danny calls down because our reservation says our room comes with a sofa-bed. It’s just the two of us staying so I don’t know why he needed a sofa bed unless he was planning on being in trouble and needing to sleep there. Well, at this location all of the King suites have whirlpools tubs in the room (not in the bathroom – in the corner of the room) and no sofa beds. Eventually he got the guy to bring up another chair. The only place to sit was on the bed or on the chairs at the table which were like kitchen chairs. He explained he was leaving me there without a vehicle and it would be nice if I had a place to sit. Keep in mind, I never once mentioned that I was not ok with the original room lay-out – I would have been content to crawl up on the bed and settle in with my book, but I wasn’t asked. The guy at the desk did bring up a chair, and it was nice to have options – but I really think I would have survived without it.

When Danny left I realized I hadn’t given him his to-do list that we had made on the way over. So I started texting it to him. When I got to item #3 “Put money in envelope for Mark” I realized I also hadn’t given him the money for the boys that week. I had tried a couple different times and he wouldn’t take it, then with all the hassle over the chair, I forgot to get it out at the hotel. I called him and asked how far he had gotten. Well, he wasn’t too far yet because there was an accident up ahead that had caused a traffic jam. He was able to get turned around and came back and got the money and the list.

He headed out again, went to Galesburg for his final night of recording, stopped by home to drop Ryne off, switch out some of his stuff out of his camera bag, and a couple other miscellaneous things and came back to Bloomington.

I had spent the evening watching 100 One Hit Wonders of the “80’s on a pink tv. Well, the tv itself wasn’t pink, but the picture on it sure was. I was oh so very happy that my husband was not spending the evening watching a pink tv. That would have been one more thing for him to complain about and I was ready to be feeling the Disney Magic, not fussing over chairs and pink tvs.

Country Inn & Suites that we have been staying at usually have an evening reception where they serve snacks, and they usually have fresh baked cookies at the check in desk. We stayed at 2 different ones on our way to Florida this summer, one down where my son goes to college, and one in Schaumburg when we had our week-end getaway. They all had it to different varying degrees. That was my supper plan. My back-up plan was eating a larger lunch so I wouldn’t be too hungry in the evening. That was a good back up plan. This location only offers the reception Mon-Thurs, and there were no cookies. I wound up going down and getting a bag of chips and made a cup of coffee for “supper”.

After my ‘80’s countdown was done, I changed clothes and got hooked up to my dialysis machine and started reading my book. Danny got there later and had to change the clocks. He also set the alarm on his cell phone just in case the hotel alarm didn’t work, or if it was set to automatically change with the time change and he screwed it up by changing it.

I don’t remember what time I gave up and went to sleep, but I do know that breakfast started at 7AM and with the time change being that night we were going to get an “extra hour” to sleep, so it wasn’t too early.

And so ended our last night in Illinois for a few days…..

Old 11-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #88
marvali
DIS Veteran

Still need to read and catch up on what you wrote about your trip so far, but wanted to get in a quick WELCOME HOME!!!!

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #89
All7OfUs

It doesn't sound like too bad of a start, Tanya! Except the unnecessary complaining. But, hey, sounds like your hubby just wants you to be comfortable. I"m with you though, curling up in bed after a hot bath for some extra cozy time sounds wonderful!

Ready for more.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #90
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
I'm home!
Okay, maybe it is a matter of perspective, or a "man" thing, but unlike Liesa I thought it sounded like you were off to a rough start with the hassles. Free Room is good though. On our upcoming trip this December we will probably use some of our accumulated points for a room on the trip down. Right now I'm not 100% sure if we will be going half way after I go in to work, or if I will end up being off and driving all the way down and then staying off-property the first night until we check in at Kidani the next day!

100 1-hit wonders? On a pink TV picture?? Sounds like a wonderful evening to me....... I wouldn't have really enjoyed all the driving back and forth, but sometimes you just have to do what you just have to do!!!

Can't wait for the Disney magic to kick in! Hope the rest of your trip was truly magical!!!

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: