Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #31
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Great pictures Tanya.

Where was the Diamond Horseshoe held? It looks a lot like Hoop de Doo.
It's in Frontierland at MK. The building is still there - it just doesn't do anything anymore . Well, I take that back, I see that they use it for a restaurant sometimes - but I think its only open during high-capacity times....probably like Free Dining. It's a big old fashioned white building - I assume it still has some benches and chairs on the porch area.

(Did I say a white building? Make that blue and white....)

It has the Liberty Tree Tavern on one side and the Shootin' Gallery on the other side. (Yes I cheated and looked at a map)

For awhile (maybe one year or so) they had a Woody's Round up kind of thing in there - it was a bit of a flop. Woody, Jessie and the horse would be in there amid a crowd of people. Somewhere I should have pictures - but its mostly a crowd scene My boys were just old enough to not be interested in it so I went in just to try to take pics.

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)
Old 09-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #32
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Here in 2010 I am going to leave Mark & Ethan scrounging around in the back of the car in the airport parking lot looking for DVDs…..that should keep them busy for awhile.

Meanwhile in 1988, the honeymooners saw things that people may never see again. One of them was the long lost Diamond Horseshow Revue.

Another was brand new! DH had never seen it before so it was somewhere we could discover for the first time together. It was

Mickey’s Birthdayland!

At that time it wasn’t Toontown – it was Duckberg

Most of the buildings were just facades

Donald’s boat was even smaller….must have been his starter-boat. You couldn’t play on it….there looks like there is a sidewalk there so maybe you could go get your picture taken. I don’t have any pics of anybody doing that so that’s just a guess.

Goofy hadn’t taken up flying yet and Grandma Duck still owned the barn. And amazingly we have no pictures of the animals Grandma Duck kept there. But she did have some. I’m thinking they were goats. Now that I see the picture blown up it looks like there's a sihouette of a horse and a pig on the sign....so maybe they were there too. And it seems like Minnie Moo lived there for awhile…..but that’s just a dusty, suspect recollection.

You could still go in Mickey’s house (but not Minnie’s). This was before he hired Donald to remodel his kitchen so many years ago

And instead of winding around watching old cartoons– we were invited to Mickey’s birthday party!!

They had a nice little stage show with characters trying to throw a surprise party for Mickey – they brought presents and made a cake

And Mickey came!

After the party was over then you could go back to meet the birthday boy…..uh….mouse!

Come back soon for more adventures in the Walt Disney World that was…….

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #33
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

More of the Magic Kingdom that was – 1988 Pt 2

This installment will be more things you just don’t see anymore at Magic Kingdom.

We’ll start with the Skyway.

I hated this ride – I was always afraid I wouldn’t get in it quick enough. Looks like we are going from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland on this trip.

This is what Mickey’s Birthdayland (aka Toontown) looked like from the sky. Not much to it at all. I think the fence n the right is in front of Grandma Ducks Barn....now Goofy’s Barnstormer.

Back in Fantasyland, before Ariel moved in, there was the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea submarine ride.

Must be “under the sea” in this one

I honestly don’t remember much about that ride either. I know we went on it, but I don’t think I knew what to expect and didn’t have a good seat. You had to look out portholes to see what was going on those 20,000 leagues down, and I don’t think I realized that.

Our next stop is Frontierland. And this one is kinda iffy on whether it should be included in the “MK that was” because it still is.

But not quite like this

This was a summertime version of the Country Bears. You’ll see our host is wearing his camp counselor uniform, and Gomer has his piano all decorated and is dressed for a luau

And the girls are wearing their bathing suits. I’m dusting off the cobwebs in the memory bank here, but it seems like the girls sang some Summer-y song – maybe a Beach Boys type. But what I really remember and what bothers me now is that now the girls sing a song with a slide show behind them called “The Guys that Turn me on Turn me Down” or something like that. On this 1988 trip the really big girl bear sang that song….which makes sense since it is her pictures in the slide show. I never understood why they gave her song….and her pictures to the 3 girl bears….it just didn’t make sense to me. And yes, I do realize that I am putting way too much thought and energy into an animatronic Bear show.

Short story even frurther back in time.......I always liked the Country Bears. We took the "Grand tour of Florida" when I was a kid - we stopped at all the touristy places - Weeki Wachi mermaid show, Tarpon Springs Spongeorama, Cypress Gardens, Busch Gardens, and, of course, Magic Kingdom (and several other places). I just loved the little bear who sits on the edge of the stage holding his teddy bear while the bear band plays. When we got home from our trip it was my birthday - I turned 11 and my best friend got me a big brown teddy bear. We had a brochure from Magic Kingdom and in it was a picture of the bear band playing, and the piano playing bear, and the little bear. The caption said something about "Gomer joining the Bear Rugs for a song". I thought that the little bear's name was Gomer and that is what I named my teddy bear....my Gomer-bear. It wasn't until 11 years later on my honeymoon that I realized that Gomer is actually the piano player. I still had my Gomer bear, well my parents did. My boys used to wrestle him until poor Gomer just couldn't take the abuse any more. I think my mother "retired" him to the trash.

The Country Bears also used to have a Christmas show. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that.

And a final shot before leaving Magic Kingdom and moving on to EPCOT Center

Big Thunder Mountain….which is still there. But all those bushes and landscaping is gone to make way for Splash Mountain and the little kid play/waiting area.

Until next time!!!

Last edited by mom3sonstt; 10-04-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #34
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Thanks for these flashback pictures Tanya. It's hard to believe how much it's changed over the years.

I can remember being on "20,000 Leagues" at Disneyland when I was about 5...it's one of only a couple things that I remember.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #35
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

I LOVE this old flashback, retro report! Brings back SO many memories of going to DL as a little girl! The Skyway, the "Subermarine Ride", CBJ, all of that good stuff!!

Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #36
marvali
DIS Veteran

Okay, I'm here to "prop" and join in the fun! With Dan and Glenn already here, just remember........you asked for this!!!

I actually started reading along right after you started this and thought for sure I had posted then. You had me with the flashbacks to the Diamond Horseshoe. I remember that show, long before 1988. We were there probably two or three years after "DisneyWorld" opened. DHR was a favorite for my parents, mainly because you could sit down and relax in the a/c! I remember using tickets where you had to choose wisely what to ride. 20,000 Leagues, the skyway, CBJ, original Tiki Room and the motorized cars (not sure they were Indy cars then) were some of my faves. At one point I still had some of the unused tickets (mostly A tickets that had to be used on the "boring" stuff) at home, but I think they are long gone now!

We were there in 1989 on our oldest DS's first trip at 2-1/2. Didn't take many pictures, but followed him around with a camcorder (one of those big, on the shoulder models). I'll have to find the tape and see if I can tell how much different it was from your trip. I do remember that the show you saw after visiting Mickey's House had been taken over by the Rescue Ranger characters when we were there, but you still got to visit Mickey in his dressing room after the show!

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
Old 10-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #37
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I have to make sure Marv behaves himself. I'll come back and catch up later...but wanted to get subscribed.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #38
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Thanks for these flashback pictures Tanya. It's hard to believe how much it's changed over the years.

I can remember being on "20,000 Leagues" at Disneyland when I was about 5...it's one of only a couple things that I remember.
That's funny that it is one of the things I have little memory of and it's one of the few that you do remember....from when you were 5! Wow - I remember very little from when I was 5.

I do remember when i was 10 and we went to WDW that the 4 of us got in line for Space Mountain. I had no idea what it was. When it was time to get in you had to straddle a bench. Mom sat in front of dad in one half and I had to sit in front of Bret in the other half. I remember being very upset that I had to sit with my brother....and once I found out that it was a roller coaster.....in the dark .....and Bret was my only comfort .....I was not happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
I LOVE this old flashback, retro report! Brings back SO many memories of going to DL as a little girl! The Skyway, the "Subermarine Ride", CBJ, all of that good stuff!!
I've never been to Disneyland - I am hoping to get there at some point. Maybe now that the kids are almost all grown DH & I can make it out there sometime in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Okay, I'm here to "prop" and join in the fun! With Dan and Glenn already here, just remember........you asked for this!!!

I actually started reading along right after you started this and thought for sure I had posted then. You had me with the flashbacks to the Diamond Horseshoe. I remember that show, long before 1988. We were there probably two or three years after "DisneyWorld" opened. DHR was a favorite for my parents, mainly because you could sit down and relax in the a/c! I remember using tickets where you had to choose wisely what to ride. 20,000 Leagues, the skyway, CBJ, original Tiki Room and the motorized cars (not sure they were Indy cars then) were some of my faves. At one point I still had some of the unused tickets (mostly A tickets that had to be used on the "boring" stuff) at home, but I think they are long gone now!

We were there in 1989 on our oldest DS's first trip at 2-1/2. Didn't take many pictures, but followed him around with a camcorder (one of those big, on the shoulder models). I'll have to find the tape and see if I can tell how much different it was from your trip. I do remember that the show you saw after visiting Mickey's House had been taken over by the Rescue Ranger characters when we were there, but you still got to visit Mickey in his dressing room after the show!
I was there in 1977 and remember the tickets. I don't remember having to ration them because I was the kid and that was not my job. But I do remember only have 3 of the A tickets...or whatever they were left and my parents decided to take me on Its a Small World because they figured Bret wouldn't want to ride that one. Well, he may not have wanted to ride it (he was 14 at the time) but he didn't want to be left on the street while we went and did something without him, so dad had to go to a little ticket booth and buy 1 ticket so Bret could ride a ride he didn't really want to.

And if you stick around long enough....I may get to the Rescue Ranger show. We were there in 1991 and Mickey's birthday was over and Baloo and....oh...who's the big tall duck that flew the plane???? He was there. I should have pictures of a few different incarnations stuck in the top of the front closet.

And yep - I remember those camcorders. My dad bought one when we had Sean. We have had a few over the years - but none as big as that monster dad had.

Oh and when the trouble starts just remind me that I invited you

Old 10-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #39
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I'm here. I'm here! I have to be sure Marv behaves himself and I want to follow your report. I'll come back later to catch up (have to get back to work).

Last edited by KatMark; 10-05-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #40
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I'm here. I'm here! I have to be sure Marve behaves himself and I want to follow your report. I'll come back later to catch up (have to get back to work).
Hi Kat - you must have snuck in when I was replying to the others. I'm getting ready to run to town - so will give you time to get caught up ......after you get your work done, of course

Old 10-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #41
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
just remember to blame everything on marv.

and thanks for the pictures this last round, i remmeberd the mickey show, and loved the sky ride, and the leagues under the sea, i liked how on the sky ride, you could see "back stage" and the stuff you were suppose to see, i thought it was so cool as a kid.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 10-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #42
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
just remember to blame everything on marv.

and thanks for the pictures this last round, i remmeberd the mickey show, and loved the sky ride, and the leagues under the sea, i liked how on the sky ride, you could see "back stage" and the stuff you were suppose to see, i thought it was so cool as a kid.
hmmm....blame Marv.....Got it

I thought we had more pictures on the Skyride than I found - Danny always liked to try to take pictures of as much as he could from up there. Maybe there are more from other trips....but our next trip would have included an almost 2 year old and I can't imagine taking him on there.....but who knows - I may have done it - I'll have to wait til I dig those books out and see.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #43
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And if you stick around long enough....I may get to the Rescue Ranger show. We were there in 1991 and Mickey's birthday was over and Baloo and....oh...who's the big tall duck that flew the plane????
Launchpad McQuack, pilot on Duck Tales. And I really blew my story above. A little hard for oldest DS to visit WDW in 1989 when that is the year he was born. We actually took him in February of 1992, so right in line with the trip you mentioned above.
Quote:

Quote:
hmmm....blame Marv.....Got it
I'm a big boy, I can handle it. But with the group you have already assembled here, I think there will be enough "blame" to go around!

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #44
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I am SO loving the flashback pictures. When I did my PTR, I did some pictures when our kids used to go with us (they are now 24 and 22). It brings back such great memories. I really like the TOT and the Splash Mountain pictures. We've never done Diamond Horseshoe.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #45
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Launchpad McQuack, pilot on Duck Tales.
Launchpad!!! All I could think of was Darkwing Duck - and I know he's the goofy looking one in the purple cape. I could picture him - He was tall with a brown leather jacket and aviators hat. If I hadn't thought of it (or you saved the day) I would have been digging out the boys old autograph books because I know we had his autograph. The problem is - there are 3 boys, so they each had a book - and they have gone on I don't know how many trips. So finding the right book.... well thanks for the name. You get one free pass for whatever trouble those "other people" try to blame on you!
Quote:
And I really blew my story above. A little hard for oldest DS to visit WDW in 1989 when that is the year he was born. We actually took him in February of 1992, so right in line with the trip you mentioned above.
My oldest was born in 1989 too. I know we took him sumer of 91 - I'm thinking it was late in the summer - my oldest step-son was graduating from bootcamp so we were down for his graduation ceremony. We left the middle boy at home with my folks - he would have only been 6 or 7 months at the time.
Quote:
I'm a big boy, I can handle it. But with the group you have already assembled here, I think there will be enough "blame" to go around!
Only the cream of the crop for my report

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I am SO loving the flashback pictures. When I did my PTR, I did some pictures when our kids used to go with us (they are now 24 and 22). It brings back such great memories. I really like the TOT and the Splash Mountain pictures. We've never done Diamond Horseshoe.
My guys are 21, 19 & 17. If I stick with this long enough I have got some good pictures of them "growing up Disney". I came across one the other day of the three of them together in one seat on Splash Mountain.....and they are the only ones in the whole log. I am thinking it was when they still had E-Ticket nights. The lines for everything were practically non-existent and I remember riding Splash Mountain a couple times in a row without getting off. I don't know why Danny & I weren't on there with them - but it's a neat picture with just the 3 of them.

Oh and Kat - stick around - eventually we will get to some hat pictures that will be right up you & Grumpy's alley It could take awhile tho

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: