Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Our visit with Sean went well. Southern's football team lost - gave it away from what I understand. Seems like they were up by 21 points at the half and in the 2nd half the other team just walked down the field and scored just about every possession. But while the "menfolks" were watching that, I was back in the hotel room loading pictures onto PB . I sat there watching TV , loading pics , and eating snacks from the "happy hour" from about 4:30 until about 9 - 9:30. So one would think that I would have all my pictures loaded since I had nearly 5 hours......one would be wrong.....very wrong. Those pictures are 3 and a partial days. And the first 2 of those days Sean & Ryne were the only ones at WDW.

Today I spent several hours loading more up....but from a different trip. DH has started moving his command center upstairs, so I went rooting around on the "big computer". I found our Nov pics and loaded them (less than 150 pics). Then I found our Dec pics and started loading them - holy cow - when you get my hubby and his buddy together they live with the camera attached to their faces! For DH for the first day he has 130 pics. I also have Walt's pics on our computer and he has literally hundreds for the first day. DH videoed a parade (twice) and Walt took pictures of it. So for the time that the parade was running DH wasn't even using his camera and he still took almost as many pics in one day as he did in a whole trip just a month earlier.

Hopefully tomorrow DH will have the laptop set up in there so I can finish loading the June trip pics. I didn't see them on the the big computer. If not I will keep trudging through the Dec pics.

Would you believe I am already at 45% capacity on my PB acct?

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)
Old 09-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #17
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Planes, no-trains, and automobiles

You've seen the main characters, now let's get this show on the road....

Our trip planning began about a year or more ago. We have taken family trips in August the previous 2 years and decided this year to try for the other end of summer break and go in June. We worked out the dates that the schools would be done, and since DH & DS#3 both coach softball in the summer, we worked with the Director to give them some byes while we were gone so they wouldn't miss too many games. DS#3 (Mark) asked his friend Adam to go with us - he had gone the 2 trips before. He really wanted to, but his grandparents were having an anniversary party during our trip and all the cousins from out of state would be back so he decided he had better stay home for that. So Mark asked another friend - Ethan. He had never been before either and was excited about going.....but the weekend we would be gone the high school baseball team could still be in tournaments. They were 3rd in state the year before, but had lost some key players, so it wasn't likely, but wasn't out of the realm of possibility either. Why did we think June was such a good idea? We finally went ahead and ordered a ticket for Ethan after his mom told us that if they did go all the way to state they would fly him down to join us. He would only miss a day. So that was settled.....the team kept winning - until a week before we were due to leave. They made it further into the tourny than expected, so although nobody likes to lose they were satisfied with their results.

Now that we know we are a party of 6 - how are we going to get there? For several years we had a big full-size van. Or as I called it, my big purple bus . I loved my van - it was like driving a big living room to Florida. Everybody had leg room, nobody was "touching" - there was plenty of room for all our stuff. But DH had the bright idea of trading off my big, wonderful van for a Nissan Murano. I thought I was pretty slick - I did not want the Murano - it is a car - he says its a cross-over (and the paperwork calls it a truck), but it's a car. I have 3 big kids with long legs. I thought that there was no way they would approve this car. So I told DH he could bring it home (on an overnight test-drive) and we would see if we fit. Well, the boys got in and declared plenty of leg room - then DH brought out the suitcases - and there was plenty of room in the back My van was gone - and we now had a Murano.

Even though the Murano had more room in it than I gave it credit for - it was not going to hold 6 people. We decided to send Sean down early. He missed a family trip when he started college before we switched to summer months so I had always told him we would let him go down on his own sometime or with a friend. I had planned on sending him down with my brother - my brother never married and had no kids and was always doing things with my boys. I figured that Sean & Bret could go down sometime and use our points - but before they ever had the chance to go we lost my brother. I still "owed" Sean his "own" trip, so we offered to fly him down a couple days ahead of the rest of us - he could have some time on his own without us having to pay for a whole 2nd trip for him. He was cool with that. Then Ryne asked how come he couldn't fly down too. We asked Sean whether Ryne could join him - he was ok with that - so we booked both of them for a flight out of Bloomington early June 3rd.

The 2 of them would fly out that morning and the other 4 of us would drive. I made reservations for us for the way down and back, made a list of info for Ethan's parents about where we were staying, what all of our cell phone numbers were, what our basic plans were for the trip, and anything else I could think of.

The morning of the 3rd came - we loaded up the car, the boys grabbed their carry-on bags, and got in their car and we were off. To the airport. We had the 2 of them follow us to the airport and dH went in with them to make sure they got off alright. The 2 other boys slept. Once at the airport they woke up and started getting fidgety.....they decided to watch some tv since they were finally awake. That's when it happened...... They were looking by their feet, in bags, got out looked through the back area.....nothing. About that time DH gets back to the car and before the door is barely open "Dad - where are our DVDs????"

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

The "Trip Thru Time" part....

Welcome to my Walt Disney World - 1988 ...... hmmm that's more like 1968....how about this guy (think Tom Cruise - Risky Business....)

In honor of our 22nd wedding anniversary - here are the honeymooners.....no, not Ralph & Alice Kramden......

us I was a 22 year old child-bride. (Yikes - my oldest son is 21 - almost that same age!) and DH was a grizzled old groom of 34

Check out the picture Mickey has on the wall in his dressing room - is that Michael Eisner

We are going our for supper tonight - or I would scan and post more pics. If I'd thought about that I would have done it sooner....but.....well I didn't think of it sooner.

So - any requests for the Diamond Horseshoe Revue stage show,
the Walt Disney World Village,
Mickey's Birthdayland,
pictures from the Skyway,
the Earful Tower (before MGM was open),
or how about River Country,
Horizons, World of Motion,
or better yet Imagination - back when Figment and Dreamfinder were running things,
or Food Rocks (veggie, fruit, fruit - veggie veggie fruit fruit)......

anybody???

Old 09-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #20
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Ohh a clifhanger already!

Love the "way back" photo.

I only saw the show at the Diamond Horseshoe once back in 1999. I loved it.

I would love to see any vintage photos.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
How cool Tanya! Love the flashback pic!
Thank you - gosh we were young!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
Ohh a clifhanger already!

Love the "way back" photo.

I only saw the show at the Diamond Horseshoe once back in 1999. I loved it.

I would love to see any vintage photos.
Vanessa - you are so not good for my ego "way back" and "vintage" are not terms you like to think of about yourself......makes me feel like hubbys 95 year old grandma.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Diamond Horseshoe Revue - Review

September 1988 – Our WDW Honeymoon

There is a great debate between the hubby & I as to who was a Disney fan first. I say, since I visited Magic Kingdom in 1977 with my parents and he didn’t get there for the first time until 1979 (I think) that I am. He says that he went there 3 times before our honeymoon and I only went once – so he is. Bottom line, I guess it doesn’t matter as long as we keep going back.

Being the more experienced (if not the first ) Disney fan, on this trip when we arrived at the Magic Kingdom he said we had to head straight to the Diamond Horseshoe Revue. No racing for fastpasses (they didn’t exist), no calling ahead for ADRs (also didn’t exist), no getting in line for Splash Mountain before the lines too long (wasn’t there) – nope – his big draw was the Diamond Horseshoe.

Way back then, it actually was something – not a part time restaurant when everything else is too full, not a character meet and greet, and not a neat looking building that you think “something” should be in. It was a show – and a fun one. So at rope drop (if it was called that then) he headed straight to Frontierland and got in line at the podium. They had the show about 4 or 5 times throughout the day, and if you signed in at the podium that morning you could get a reservation for a certain time. Hubby wanted to go for the one closest to lunch, because they also served a light lunch there. Maybe only 2 choices – ham sandwich and chips, and maybe something else. ( I remember eating a lot of ham sandwiches on that trip.) He got there, got his preferred time, picked out a table and we went on about our morning.

At about the time the previous show was ending we went back and waited. When one show poured out (because it was always full – even the seats in the balcony ), they started letting people in for the next show. We were seated, and I don’t remember if they came to the tables to see if we wanted anything to eat or if you had to go to the counter. Maybe it was a little bit of both – if you were there early enough maybe they waited on you, if you got in later maybe you had to go to the counter……or maybe it evolved over the years and our different visits are running together. Regardless of how we got them, we had drinks and sandwiches. Eventually a little 3 piece band came into the “orchestra pit” in front of the stage and played for awhile. Well, maybe not so much like those guys - more like a piano, fiddle, and a horn player.

Then we were welcomed by this guy

He told jokes, and did some gags, the storyliine was that he was the owner of the saloon that we were in, and wanted to be part of the show.

But Miss Lilly was coming back

and it was her show and she did not think he was up to her standards. I have never been to Hoop De Do but I always imagined it somewhat like this show – an old-fashioned “saloon” show.

The 3 young dancing girls and the 3 young cowboys have a little dancing and singing competition – each group trying to out do the others.

You can see the board on the sawhorses that the girls are standing on – the cowboys did the dance scene from 7 Brides for 7 Brothers where the hold a broomstick in both hand and jump through it and back again (like a jump rope) while on the board. They were all very good and very energetic. We always left with me having a crush on a cowboy and hubby wanting to take home a dancing girl.

While the dancers were doing their thing Miss Lilly changed from her red traveling clothes to her black sparkly performing clothes.

This isn’t the greatest picture – but it shows that she has gone out into the audience. If you see the man whose face is cut in half – it would be my guess that she was his target. She would be up on the stage, somebody would catch her eye and she would come out in the audience and flirt a little. It seems like the would also pair up a couple – they would pick some gal and pull her chair (with her in it) over to an open space then they would pick some guy from another table and pull him over next her and serenade them. But then Miss Lilly would get distracted and off she would go to find a man with a nice, shiny, bald head that she could plant a big old red-lipsticked kiss on.

I still tease hubby that the only reason he lost his hair was so Miss Lilly would kiss him. Didn’t work – she was gone before he had a big enough bald spot. In fact, to be fair, he probably still doesn’t have a shiny enough head for Miss Lilly, although he did offer to shave his head for the opportunity!

In another attempt at “getting in the show” the original guy put together a “dramatic play”. He would bring up 2 audience members.

And reenact the story. You can see the woman here with hat, scarf and corncob pipe costume, behind her is their “trusty steed”. They would tell the story and there were certain words that they would say that the “volunteers” would have to do something silly each time they were said – and they had to act out the scene as it was being told- it was silly, and embarrassing, and fun.

Miss Lilly still shot him down – but then the dancing girls came out again for the big finale

In the end – alls well that ends well

Miss Lilly and the guy wind up together…..and they all live happily ever after…..

There were other versions of the show too – sometime in my “travels thru time” I will have to dig up the pics from our 1996 trip – when little 3 year old Mark was called up on stage to volunteer as an assistant for the “magic show” that they did. It may have been part of the pre-show stuff before the dancing girls showed up – very cute!!

Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #23
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

And just to show how much hubby loved this show – we went back a second time that week.

Different guy

Better shot of the dancing cowboys (I had said it was a broom handle - I guess it was actually an ax)

Slightly different storyline

This Miss Lilly has a nice cowgirl outfit….and instead of the audience participation show “the guy” tried different ways to get in the act….like dressing up like an Indian – (you can see his pouty lip - she is “flicking” it)

and he tries to sneak in with the dancing girls

This was back in the day of film cameras so we don’t have as many pictures from the 2nd show – he must have thought he had enough “girly” pictures from the first show and only took a few of the new “characters” this time.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #24
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Trying to get things situated for our November trip. In my mind this was two "solo" trips - he would do his thing, I would do mine. I had planned to do most of my meals by trying different things at the Food & Wine Festival. Photographic evidence to the contrary, I can not eat a lot. I have polycystic kidneys so my kidneys are many many times the normal size, plus I do peritoneal dialysis, which is basically pumping my abdomen full of two litres of "juice" and leaving it there. All of that seems to crowd my "insides" and I get full very fast. If I know hubby and I are going to go out for supper some evening I do not eat during the day - maybe a granola bar. So for me, the smaller potions at Food & Wine sounded ideal. Last night hubby was looking at my schedule and wanted to add sit down meals to most of the nights . He said I could "do Food & Wine" during the day while he does his thing and then in the evening we could meet up for meals.

I tried to explain to him that if I "do the Food & Wine" I won't want to eat a meal. His answer was that I could eat "light" at the meal......but then he wanted to add Biergarten, or Garden Grill. Well, I don't want to pay full price for an all you can eat type of meal and "eat light". So now I am confused. He won't eat at a table service restaurant by himself - and I don't want him to be stuck with burgers and chicken strips the whole week at counter service - but my half of the trip was trying the F&W, his half was taking pictures at AK and going to the golf tourny.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #25
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

WOOT! Finally made it over to see what's going on here!! LOVING the retro-report! I would have loved to have seen the old Diamond Horseshoe, but I imagine HDDR is a bit the same- minus the dancing cowboys. Which would have scored WAY high in my book!

Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #26
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Welcome to my little corner of the DIS! It's pretty quiet here most of the time - I've had a couple people come over and peek around - I just need to get them to keep coming back.

Diamond Horseshoe was a lot of fun "back in the day". DH is still hurt by the fact that its not what it used to be. Every trip there is a comment made when we walk by

Old 09-29-2010, 12:20 AM   #27
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
Welcome to my little corner of the DIS! It's pretty quiet here most of the time - I've had a couple people come over and peek around - I just need to get them to keep coming back.

Diamond Horseshoe was a lot of fun "back in the day". DH is still hurt by the fact that its not what it used to be. Every trip there is a comment made when we walk by
Glad to be here, Schweety!!

If ya'll like that sort of zany business, you should try the Hoop- BIG FUN!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #28
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
I've had a couple people come over and peek around - I just need to get them to keep coming back.
im still here and read each day, just dont comment every day.

i do that on alot of my threads, i just run our of time, dont even have the time to keep my updates going, but on the good news i uploaded the next set of pics for the next 2 chapters.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 09-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #29
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
im still here and read each day, just dont comment every day.

i do that on alot of my threads, i just run our of time, dont even have the time to keep my updates going, but on the good news i uploaded the next set of pics for the next 2 chapters.
Yay - a new update coming soon.

I'm scanning some more '88 pics. I think I'm going to try to do Magic Kingdom that used to be. Then move on to Epcot....then.....well that's all there was....but I have some "other" pics. It's a little more time consuming to flip through the photo album, pull the pics, scan them in one at a time, then upload them, then put them back (in the right spot) in the album. The digital way is sooooo much easier

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: