Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
jecskc
DIS Veteran

The Whimsical Spirit of the Conch Republic - a June TR - Day 4-Part 3 updated 7/17

Hey Everyone !!

We just got back from another great trip. Looking forward to telling you about it.

When: June 15 - June 18, 2012

Where we stayed: Old Key West

Who:

Me (Susan) - 44 yr old Irrigation Designer for a Landscape Architect

DH - My wonderful husband that puts up with my Disney obsession. Works in upper management for a chemical company.

This is a photo from our cruise on the Disney Dream.

DS - 12 year old thrill seeker, but still a sweet boy (so far)

DD - 9 year old sweetie who loves all things Disney

I hope those of you that choose to read along will stop by and say hello.

OK-ready to get started ?? I know I am. I just love reliving our trips through a trip report.

Here we GO !!!!

Last edited by jecskc; 07-17-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Day 1 Part ONE

We like to make the most of our Disney vacations and since this was a shorter trip, We left really early Friday morning. How early, you say ?? 3:00 AM. Yeah, I know, we’re nuts. DH works night shift sometimes, so driving late at night works for him, so we tried to get some sleep while he got us there in record time.

DH

DS

DD

Gettin’ on down the road.

We stopped for breakfast at the awful Waffle and some gas and finally arrived at:

We love this resort. On the bus when you approach the resort, the “Disney voice” says “Welcome to Disney’s Old Key West Resort …… and it goes on describe the resort and its architecture and then it says that it captures “the whimsical Spirit of the Conch Republic”. Thus the TR title.

Entry gate and our buggy windshield.

Ahhh yes … our home away from home

I went to check in while DH took some photos for me.

We had had some really good luck the last couple of trips and our rooms have been ready when we checked in. This time ??? Not so much. It was about 10:30 AM when we got there and the CM said they would text us, but he didn’t think it would be longer than a couple of hours. We took some more photos while we decided what to do.

We didn’t want to go to a park just yet in case our room was ready. Actually, I just wanted to get our stuff in our room before we headed to a park. You know, kind of get settled. So we decided to head over to DTD and look around and get some lunch. I always get a gift card for each of the kids so they had money to spend. So we got back in the car and headed over.

We went into DTD at Basin. I love this store !!

Fountain

World of Disney

Arribas Brothers

We headed in to Guest Relations because we had renewed our Tables in Wonderland card, but never received it in the mail. It took a little while, but it was no problem to get it

Detail

Last edited by jecskc; 06-20-2012 at 12:31 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Lucys2200
Mouseketeer

I love that resort! it was the first resort I saw from Disney while the bus picked up people there to take us to one of the parks. Would love to stay there one day.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm here.

Can't wait to hear about it. I love Old Key West. They're my favorite DVC rooms, mainly because they are the biggest and have two beds, and not one bed and a couch bed.

I never go into Basin...like never. I don't know what's wrong with me.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I'm here I like Basin too, but for some reason thought it closed at DTD. Old Key West looks beautiful!
Old 06-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I'm here!!!! DTD sounds like a good way to spend some time before your room was ready...hopefully it wasn't too long!!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucys2200 View Post
I love that resort! it was the first resort I saw from Disney while the bus picked up people there to take us to one of the parks. Would love to stay there one day.
We love it, too. I especially love the architecture and its laid back quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
I'm here.

Can't wait to hear about it. I love Old Key West. They're my favorite DVC rooms, mainly because they are the biggest and have two beds, and not one bed and a couch bed.

I never go into Basin...like never. I don't know what's wrong with me.
Hey Danielle !!!

Old Key West is wonderful. I will say they are definitely the best in regards to space for sure. Especially the studios. I also like that they have two queens. We stayed in a studio this time and we felt like we had plenty of room for just a few days. DH mentioned that for a longer trip, he would prefer a 1 bedroom though.

I really love Basin. It has the coolest things if you like bath stuff. What is wrong with you ?? You NEED to go there !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
I'm here I like Basin too, but for some reason thought it closed at DTD. Old Key West looks beautiful!
It was open and full of people when we were there. I seem to remember that they were closed for a little while, too. Maybe for renovations or something ?? I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
I'm here!!!! DTD sounds like a good way to spend some time before your room was ready...hopefully it wasn't too long!!
Hey Sara !!!

We thought so, too and it really was a great way to kill some time - AND money It was a little longer than we would have wished, but not too bad. It is not like there isn't plenty to do while you are waiting, so at least we weren't bored.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
foodrocksluver
It's been you all along

Hi Susan!! I'm usually a quiet lurker but I saw the title of your TR and thought, "If this is a TR about a family that stayed at OWK, I HAVE to come out of lurkdom!"

And by golly, I was right!!

My family has been a member of DVC since 1994, and then OKW was the only DVC resort and was actually called Disney Vacation Club. So OKW is literally my second home and I wouldn't want it any other way!

I'm excited to read along since I won't going back home until December
Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodrocksluver View Post
Hi Susan!! I'm usually a quiet lurker but I saw the title of your TR and thought, "If this is a TR about a family that stayed at OWK, I HAVE to come out of lurkdom!"

And by golly, I was right!!

My family has been a member of DVC since 1994, and then OKW was the only DVC resort and was actually called Disney Vacation Club. So OKW is literally my second home and I wouldn't want it any other way!

I'm excited to read along since I won't going back home until December
I am truly honored that you have come out of lurkdom for me

It really is a fantastic resort !! We all really love it. But I haven't stayed at a Disney resort yet that I didn't like.

I feel your pain .... it is so hard in between trips isn't it ?? That is why the DIS is so special ......
Old 06-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – Part TWO

Still at DTD .....

Team Mickey

TrenD

Once Upon a Toy

Potato Head Display

Here, at Once Upon a Toy is where DD blew her budget in less than 5 minutes. Our last trip, we looked far and wide for a Baby Lady plush, but couldn’t find it anywhere. They had one here and also they had a baby Pegasus (the one from Hercules). So after buying both of those, she had three dollars left.

She was one happy girl though.

Since we were done so soon, we walked around and took some photos
Earl of Sandwich.

I have always wanted to eat here, but the kids aren’t huge sandwich fans, so we never get the chance. One day, I am just going to get myself something anyway.

Then we took a look around in the pin shop. I almost got this one.

I just love Jessica Rabbit. “I’m not bad, I’m just drawn that way.” Your basic “don’t judge a person by their looks”, moral of the story.

DD with Donald and Daisy

Some more photos on our way over to meet up with the boys who were causing trouble in the Lego store.

Margarita Bar

Evidently, it was too early for a drink …

Fultons

World of Disney.

I asked DD if she wanted to go in there. And surprisingly, she said no, that she was good. OK then.

Ghirardelli’s

I always mean to get some ice cream from here, but it is always so super crowded. One day ….

Flowers

Lego Store

I like these new “girly” Legos. Cute stuff. DD might get some of these for Christmas.

We met up with DH and DS at the register where DS had blown his budget by $65. We plan on him working that off with yard work this weekend. Here is a photo of a freebie you got if you spent over $75

We have a Lego VIP card, so that helped with points so we can have a credit for next time and DH got a 10% discount with our Annual Pass. But still … DS owes me some yard work !!

Here is the set he got.

Railing detail

We were hungry, so we headed over to

For lunch.

Last edited by jecskc; 06-20-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
kyirish25
DIS Veteran

Hi Susan. Jumping in to hear and see all the details of your vacation.

We too don't have a sandwich lover in the family and have only eaten at Earl's once and it did live up to all the hype. We usually end up at TRex for lunch on arrival day, which is what we did this time.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyirish25 View Post
Hi Susan. Jumping in to hear and see all the details of your vacation.

We too don't have a sandwich lover in the family and have only eaten at Earl's once and it did live up to all the hype. We usually end up at TRex for lunch on arrival day, which is what we did this time.
Yay !! You are here !! I saw your T-Rex pics. We haven't tried that one yet. I will get around to telling everyone how awesome you are later in the trip report.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
Windsor Princesses
Mouseketeer

Joinining in!
I just love that Basin store, we never leave Disney without getting at least one thing from there. Can't wait to read more!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

There's too many awesome souvenirs to not want to buy them all right away! That's great that the kids got what they had been looking for though!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor Princesses View Post
Joinining in!
I just love that Basin store, we never leave Disney without getting at least one thing from there. Can't wait to read more!
I love the Basin store. I have some photos of some of the stuff inside that will show up in the next update. I still have some bath bombs left over from the last time we shopped there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
There's too many awesome souvenirs to not want to buy them all right away! That's great that the kids got what they had been looking for though!
This is so true. I might have bought some things myself . They did get what they wanted which helped with the begging later on. They didn't really ask for much after that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: