Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
famy27
DIS Veteran

Need advice for first night of stay

We will be flying into Orlando at 6:00 pm on the Friday after Thanksgiving. We couldn't get free dining with check-in that date, so we are checking in to ASMu on Saturday, November 27th. We have three options for the Friday night, and I would love to get advice/opinions as to which might work best.

1) Bid on Priceline to get a room near the airport. Take the airport shuttle to the hotel and back to the airport the next morning. Grab Magical Express to ASMu fairly early on Saturday morning. Estimating $60 OOP costs

2) Book a room at the Swan or Dolphin using Starwood points. I think we'd end up having to take a cab or shuttle from the airport. Estimating $50-60 OOP costs. I'm guessing we'd have to take a bus from the Swan to the TTC and then another bus to ASMu with our bags or we'd have to pay for a cab. Not sure what the cab cost would be.

3) Book a separate one-night stay at ASMu. OOP would be $141.

I can't decide if saving $80 or so is worth it to not have to worry about the luggage/transportation hassles. Normally, this would not be an issue, but I just started a new business, so funds are a bit tight now. How much of a pain will the extra hotel transfer be? I appreciate any opinions!
famy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
duffy
The Tag Fairy did not give me this tag...I wrote it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by famy27 View Post
We will be flying into Orlando at 6:00 pm on the Friday after Thanksgiving. We couldn't get free dining with check-in that date, so we are checking in to ASMu on Saturday, November 27th. We have three options for the Friday night, and I would love to get advice/opinions as to which might work best.

1) Bid on Priceline to get a room near the airport. Take the airport shuttle to the hotel and back to the airport the next morning. Grab Magical Express to ASMu fairly early on Saturday morning. Estimating $60 OOP costs

2) Book a room at the Swan or Dolphin using Starwood points. I think we'd end up having to take a cab or shuttle from the airport. Estimating $50-60 OOP costs. I'm guessing we'd have to take a bus from the Swan to the TTC and then another bus to ASMu with our bags or we'd have to pay for a cab. Not sure what the cab cost would be.

3) Book a separate one-night stay at ASMu. OOP would be $141.

I can't decide if saving $80 or so is worth it to not have to worry about the luggage/transportation hassles. Normally, this would not be an issue, but I just started a new business, so funds are a bit tight now. How much of a pain will the extra hotel transfer be? I appreciate any opinions!
We had a very similar situation last year, we arrived much later than you, on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

We booked a room at the Dolphin with points. It was $60 cash and 4,000 points. BUT, will it be available for you? The cash and points option isn't always there. I'd check the calendar on the SPG website ASAP!!

We then checked into Port Orleans Riverside the next day. We had a car rental so it was easy.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh, no! It looks like there's no cash and points option for your night, at either the Swan or the Dolphin. Do you have enough points for a free night? Here's a tip: when the cash and points options come up, GRAB THEM! They go very quickly.

Last edited by duffy; 09-16-2010 at 10:41 PM.
duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
famy27
DIS Veteran

Cash and Points is not available, but straight points will work for the Swan. No availability at the Dolphin. We have plenty of points, so the Swan would work. we won't have a car, so I don't know if the luggage will be an issue.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
famy27
DIS Veteran

I think I have a plan.

I just booked the Swan with points. Our flight lands at 6:10, so we'll grab our luggage and get a taxi/sedan and head to the Swan. We'll check in and either grab a bus to one of the parks. That way, we'll get a little Disney magic on our first night, even if it's only an hour or so. We'll have our luggage sent to ASMu, so we can just walk out the door and walk to EPCOT the next morning.

If we stay over at an airport hotel, I think it would be 11:00 before we stepped foot in a park, so this should allow us to maximize our time in the parks, and we'll only have to pay for the transportation.

Does this sound feasible? My understanding is that we can pick up our tickets three days prior to check-in from guest relations at any park, so we should be able to get them on Friday, even though we check in on Saturday.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: