Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #211
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Day 8 Continued...

I left off with Ben and I hustling over to make an early FOTLK show. I want to say it was 10:30 or somewhere around there. We cut it kinda close, but made it and were sitting in the nice cool theater in time for the show.

Things got off to a good start, and I figured that since Ben was taking pictures, he was enjoying it. Though not long into the performance, when the floats start coming out, there were some technical difficulties and the show kinda stalled. The actors did a great job of filling the time, and they had tech crew guys manually bring the floats out. It was actually neat to see how they handled the snafu and having never seen it before, Ben didn't even notice that something was up.

I have a lot more pictures that Ben took, but they get kinda repetitive.

We left the theater and headed over to visit the Gorillas in the Pangani Forest Trail. On the way, I asked Ben what he thought of FOTLK and his very unenthusiastic answer ticked me off. I pouted and whined about how he doesn't actually like Disney and why are we even here, anyway. Ben continued to insist that he likes WDW just fine, but he wants to travel other places. I was focused on two things that were really bothering me about this:
1)I had just booked a trip for next year! and
2)We were doing the DVC tour the next day and now I thought what the heck was the point of that if he doesn't even want to come back?
In short, I was working myself into a Grade-A bad mood.

There was only one thing to do now. Get a Mickey Bar.

When Ben took this picture I was still MAD Like really really mad. But now I think it is a funny picture and really helps me remember what that particular moment felt like.

Despite our kinda-fight (I was fighting with Ben, but he wasn't fighting with me.), we still headed over to see the gorillas. It was way too hot to be walking around outside, but we pressed on.

There wasn't too much to see- the animals were not in the mood to be gawked at just now. But we did glimpse this dude:

Around here, Ben wondered out loud if they offer any A/C areas in the habitats. A CM stationed there heard him and she kinda nodded. Then she cryptically told us to watch the hay near where this guy was sitting. There was no wind, but the hay was blowing. Turns out he sits there because there is a vent in that wall to keep him cool.
We thought it was funny that the CM didn't just come out and say that they climate control the habitat, just hinted at it. Must be some kind of Disney secret...

We finished up there, and sweated and melted our way to another part of the park. Once again, we tried to stay cool in a gift shop that wasn't very cool. I guess we should have tried to hang out with that gorilla!

We stopped and got a couple of Iced Chai teas (which were very tasty!) and carried them with us through the Maharajah Jungle Trek. We both love the bats... they are so cute! The CM stationed in the bat area kept droning on about the bats... but his voice was so oddly monotone that we couldn't really listen to him at all. It was very strange.
We saw the tigers, too but they were mostly catatonic (haha, no pun intended!) The CM there was not monotone or cryptic... but he was really really into cats. Like, his house cats. He was telling us all about them, so we talked a little about our cats. It was actually pretty funny. But it was too hot to be social for long, so we mumbled some stuff and crept away.

By now, I was reluctantly letting go of my hissy fit and realizing that my bad attitude meant I should eat something. We had an ADR for lunch at Tusker House, but we would have had to pay OOP and we just didn't want to spend a bunch of money on lunch. So we stopped at Yak & Yeti for a CS lunch.
I got Honey Chicken and it was pretty good... but hot. And we were sitting outside. Where it was hot. Not very relaxing or restful. We ate as quickly as possible and decided to leave the park.

On the way out, we remember that we had not seen Tough to Be a Bug! Not able to let that happen, we headed under the Tree of Life and towards the theater. We took our time, checking out the carvings on the tree.
Have you ever seen this one, just before you head into the theater?

We both really like this show, but I was sad that Hopper was not working. He just never came out. So 'boo' for lots of not working stuff today!

Now it was time to leave the park, so we headed to the bus stop. By the time we got there, we were thisclose to heat exhaustion, I swear. We sat on a bench for a very long time and chatted with a couple that was also waiting. And we waited, and melted, and waited. Finally, a bus came. It wasn't going to the Poly, but we got on it anyway because it got us out of the heat.

Up next, where the heck are we going?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #212
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrafter View Post
Greg and I had a "moment" during our AK day, too. It was the half way point for our trip and I realized I was doing too much,well WE were doing too much. Greg also lost his KTTW card this day and instead of being the good wife and going with him to Guest Relations to replace it, I had a hissy fit and went on both EE and walked one of the trails-by myself. I told him that it didn't look like he was having fun when really it was ME that wasn't having fun. Luckily, we went back to AK another day and rode EE together, well, as single riders but in the same cart.
That bolded part, exactly! I was cranky and hot and we weren't having the most magical trip I've ever experienced... I was projecting my feelings/disappointment on to Ben!

Glad you were ably to head back to AK and get a 'do over'!

Also, I already said this on your TR, but I love your trip so far!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #213
mandas08
Mouseketeer

DH and I also also contemplated jumping on other buses just to get out of the heat
Old 10-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #214
Tracy161
DIS Veteran

I must confess that I've NEVER been on the safari! It's just never interested me, so I've never ventured over there! I figure I can see animals other places, but I can't ride EE, Dinosaur, see It's Tough to be a Bug, etc. other places!

I hope Ben's feelings for WDW improve drastically! My DH is kinda the same way, but I just "ignore" it to the best of my ability.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #215
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandas08 View Post
DH and I also also contemplated jumping on other buses just to get out of the heat
It was a first for us, but now will be our go-to way to get out of the heat, I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy161 View Post
I must confess that I've NEVER been on the safari! It's just never interested me, so I've never ventured over there! I figure I can see animals other places, but I can't ride EE, Dinosaur, see It's Tough to be a Bug, etc. other places!

I hope Ben's feelings for WDW improve drastically! My DH is kinda the same way, but I just "ignore" it to the best of my ability.
If you've read a trip report from someone who has been on the safari, then you've seen it in pictures!

As long as I still get to go pretty often, I'll try to stay off of Ben's case about 'not liking it enough'!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:05 AM   #216
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I am sorry that Ben was considering not going again next year. It has been hard on me when my dh has said he is done with doing Disney. On our last trip a good portion of the time he seemed almost bothered to be there. I fear I may not be able to convince him of another trip together...and while I love going with my oldest dd...we know that it was a fair bit stressful for me. Besides, she will want to make her own dh crazy with Disney trips. So while I bite my nails and worry that I may never get to enjoy another disney trip with my dh... he goes and tells our youngest son it looks like we will probably be going for Christmas 2011.

I noticed that rope drop at AK seemed a bit different too. I remember it like you mentioned...at the tree.

Cant wait to see where you end up!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #217
tankgirl427
DIS Veteran

Is it werid that even with getting up super early, we never saw a rope drop? I mean we saw lots of ends to nights, but never the start of the day! How can Ben not like TFOTLK? You totally get swept up in everything that goes on around you. BF wasn't too crazy when I told him I wanted to see Lion King when it came to Boston, he's not so much a theatre and museum type of guy, but his face look like a little kid's when the animals came down the aisles.

"You held me down, but I got up, Get ready cause I’ve had enough."

PHM 2015-In Pursuit of Cupcakes While Running in Glass Slippers

Pre 2006 doesn't count, 2006: Dolphin, 2006: 16 hours of MK & EP, 2009: DL, 2010: PC with DDP, 2011: Off-site with friends & PC, 2012: AKL & BLT, POFQ, 2013: POP, POP, DL, POP
Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #218
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Yuck-- AK always feels so hot. Glad you guys finally got to cool off on a bus-- very curious about where you headed!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #219
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Your day at AK sounds hauntingly familiar to the one I had with my DH and kids a few weeks ago AK is my least favorite park and it is so gosh darned hot that it is uncomfortable and I always get mad when I'm there. My DH says WDW is fine but he wants to go other places. So it is all eerily familiar!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 10-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #220
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I am sorry that Ben was considering not going again next year. It has been hard on me when my dh has said he is done with doing Disney. On our last trip a good portion of the time he seemed almost bothered to be there. I fear I may not be able to convince him of another trip together...and while I love going with my oldest dd...we know that it was a fair bit stressful for me. Besides, she will want to make her own dh crazy with Disney trips. So while I bite my nails and worry that I may never get to enjoy another disney trip with my dh... he goes and tells our youngest son it looks like we will probably be going for Christmas 2011.

I noticed that rope drop at AK seemed a bit different too. I remember it like you mentioned...at the tree.

Cant wait to see where you end up!
Christmas 2011!? Wouldn't that be exciting! Even better if it's DH's idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl427 View Post
Is it werid that even with getting up super early, we never saw a rope drop? I mean we saw lots of ends to nights, but never the start of the day! How can Ben not like TFOTLK? You totally get swept up in everything that goes on around you. BF wasn't too crazy when I told him I wanted to see Lion King when it came to Boston, he's not so much a theatre and museum type of guy, but his face look like a little kid's when the animals came down the aisles.
To be fair, the floats/animals didn't really come down the aisles because of the technical difficulties. The show lost a bit of momentum there.
I think he liked it ok, but he'll never be a theater/show kinda guy.

I think we saw as many rope drops as we did because of our easy transportation with the TTC being right outside our room. We were never able to get to DHS early, thanks to the buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Yuck-- AK always feels so hot. Glad you guys finally got to cool off on a bus-- very curious about where you headed!
It really is always hot. Every memory I have of that parks ends with me melting at the bus stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Your day at AK sounds hauntingly familiar to the one I had with my DH and kids a few weeks ago AK is my least favorite park and it is so gosh darned hot that it is uncomfortable and I always get mad when I'm there. My DH says WDW is fine but he wants to go other places. So it is all eerily familiar!
I like AK, but it just was not helping my bad mood that day! We couldn't cool off, lunch was hot and the gift shops weren't cool enough to give us relief.
Next time I am going to to AK with buckets of ice!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #221
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

More Day 8: Spending the rest of the day indoors as much as possible.

After waiting in the scorching heat for way too long and still no Poly buses in sight, we just couldn't stand it any longer. When a bus pulled up near our stop, we got on. It was heavenly cool on that bus and we were the only ones on it. We sat back, let our body temperatures go back to a normal 98.6 and enjoyed the ride.

Before too long, our escape from AK was complete and we had to get off the bus when it stopped at the Grand Floridian. This was perfect- they way we saw it, we could check out the hotel, then hop a monorail back to the Poly. All with very little outside time!

I'd never been to the GF before, so it was fun to stroll around the lobby and look around. We ended up outside (why!?) to check out the pool area. We had done the same thing at the Contemporary- I think we were both disappointed in the Poly's main pool that we were curious to see how the other monorail resorts measured up.
The GF pool area was awesome! Their feature pool looked fun and wasn't nearly as loud or crowded as the volcano pool. But then we turned a corner and found a huge, beautiful pool with a hot tub! I really wished we could jump right in, but no pool hopping allowed, folks!
But what is allowed is pool bar hopping. So we took a seat at the bar (the GF has a couple pool bars!) and ordered a couple of drinks.

I don't remember what I got, but it had a strawberry on it. Even though we were outside, we were still comfortable and relaxed. After we finished our drinks, we headed up to wait for a monorail. It took a while for one to show up, and when it did, we had a very slow ride to the Poly. There were a couple of times where the train would just chug along very slowly. But we did eventually make it back and headed to our room for a little nap.
It was when we got back to our room that we made a startling discovery that had my heart racing for a bit...

The room at the Poly had a couple of wardrobe type closets, one of which contained the safe, and an iron that hung on the wall. This is where I had been keeping my DSLR since I wasn't doing a great job of carrying it around the parks.
When we got back to the room, Ben went to the safe and then he started swearing. He grabbed my camera bag and I had no idea what was going on. The iron was in a holder that should have been screwed into the wall. Apparently, it wasn't attached well and had fallen over during the day. And the kind soul who had last used the iron put it away nice and full of water. Water that had now leaked all over the safe and dripped on the floor of the closet. Where my camera bag was. And that was why Ben grabbed my camera. ACK! I ran over and checked it out, luckily the water had not got to it! That was a close call.

After all that, I still managed to take a sort nap and woke up around 4PM to get ready for dinner. We were headed to DTD to eat at Raglan Road, and I was really looking forward to it!

At the bus stop, I noticed that they had buses running to MK and Epcot. It seemed that the monorail must have continued to run funky and was now closed. But our bus to DTD came along quickly. The ride over wasn't so quick, and we were a little late for our 6PM ADR.
But we checked into a mostly empty restaurant, so it didn't much matter!

We both really enjoyed this meal... our entrees came out practically before we had finished ordering them- service was very quick! Ben got the beef curry and I had the shepherd's pie. My food was good, but Ben's was amazing!!!
Desert was extra wonderful... Ben ordered the Bread & Butter Pudding and I got the Dunderry Kiss (I think that's what it was...) Once again, they were both very good, but Ben's was just totally delicious! Not something I thought I'd like, but I was wrong!

We stayed and had a drink at the bar for a bit and watched the Irish stepdancer.

After dinner, we were completely stuffed. We decided to walk it off in the saddest way possible- through the remains of Pleasure Island. I wanted to take some pictures, since I was carrying the DSLR for the first time (I guess our near death experience with it inspired me to use it!)
I thought it was really strange how all the clubs are closed, but the bars outside of them are open. It was very sad to see the shuttered Adventurer's Club. I almost didn't want to take this picture, but I just had to:

No Kungaloosh for me...

We turned around and headed all the way back across to the Marketplace. We had a boat to catch to meet a new friend!

I love the boat ride to Port Orleans, and this was an especially pretty evening!

I love POFQ!

We didn't stop here long, we were headed a little further downriver...

I was excited for Ben to see POR because this is where that fall 2011 trip is booked for... and I needed him to be excited about something!

The resort did its part... it was beautiful at night!

Last edited by Joyciemc; 10-19-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #222
JMat
Mouseketeer

Awesome! Great pics - and I hope Ben jumps back on board with some Disney Excitement!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #223
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

This is where we were headed:

Why didn't anyone tell me that the bathrooms at the POR food court had themed toilets?

They are, and it is so cool! Probably the first time that I laughed when I saw a toilet. Maybe...

We settled in at a table in the mostly empty River Roost to wait for Yee-Haw Bob. Neither of knew too much of what to expect, but I was looking forward to the show.

We ordered drinks, a Sam Octoberfest for Ben and a Dogfish Head 60 minute for me. The waitress had no clue what I was asking for, but when I pointed to it in the drink menu, she got it. Apparently, no one ever orders these here. It's one of my favorite beers, so I think more people should try it!
Not sure why, but we chose this point to do a beer photo shoot...

We thoroughly enjoyed the show, and became quite the participants. Bob had no idea what he was getting with Ben in the audience... talk about a good sport! Luckily, he did not have to wear any drag or sing any Madonna!

Yee-Haw Bob puts on a great show, and I recommend it to anyone! So much fun! And it's free... except for the drinks. Those get pricey...

His show runs till 12, but at around 11 I suddenly remembered we were in Disney World and had no car. Did we still have a way to get home?

As we headed out to the bus stop and Ben stopped at bell services to ask about transportation. They informed him that the parks were closed and we needed a cab. Ummm.... uh oh. But then I asked him to ask about DTD- that is still open and there should be a bus to there. They insisted that we while we could get to DTD, we would not get to the Poly from there. They called us a cab, but while we waited I finally shook the fog from me head and told Ben to confirm that there was a bus to DTD still. Then we had them cancel the cab. I don't know why I was letting these CMs talk me into believing them, but I am very glad that I came to my senses!
Ben was pretty pissed about this wrong information that we were being given, but we both felt pretty good once we were at the bus stop.

And even better on the bus!

For all the confusion, our trip back didn't take all that long and we were in bed by 12.

It had been a looooooooong day, but a pretty darned good one!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #224
sly1971
Earning My Ears

Not Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
I would have wanted to SLAP that waiter! What a "word that is not DisAppropriate!!" Couples waiting a little while to go on their honeymoon after the wedding isn't exactly a new thing! Plenty of our friends needed a couple of months to save up after their wedding in order to even afford a trip! I know you guys took a trip after your wedding, but STILL! Disney was still your honeymoon. That's honestly just crappy customer service. I always wonder why people like that are waiters!
Mmm, all this drink talk is making me want to crack open the Sam Adams Octoberfest that's in our fridge! That's weird that the CM kinda forced the ginger drink on you after you clearly stated what you wanted!
Sorry, but it wasn't REALLY a honeymoon. They had already had a honeymoon following their wedding. This was a trip, a wonderfully anticipated vacation by a newly married couple - hopefully the first of MANY great and memorable trips together. But not a honeymoon. Still, any server worth his or her salt should shut it and mind their own business, just like I'm going to do now!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #225
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1971 View Post
Sorry, but it wasn't REALLY a honeymoon. They had already had a honeymoon following their wedding. This was a trip, a wonderfully anticipated vacation by a newly married couple - hopefully the first of MANY great and memorable trips together. But not a honeymoon. Still, any server worth his or her salt should shut it and mind their own business, just like I'm going to do now!
honeymoon ( ) n. A holiday or trip taken by a newly married couple.

Sounds like they were on their honeymoon to me-- they were newly married.

Uhhhh, ANYWAY!
Glad you guys ended having a great afternoon/night! Mmmm, I love anything with curry, so I bet I would have loved Ben's dish,too! I'm glad POR cheered him up-- we can't wait to stay there again next August! You guys will definitely love it, too! We never got to see YeeHaw Bob, but glad you guys got into it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: