Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #196
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marblies View Post
Happy Birthday and thanks for the report!
Thank you! And you are very welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThomsLuvDisney View Post
Hope you are having a fabulous Birthday!
I had a great birthday- my friend made a delicious dinner and a super cute hand-knit stuffed kitty (she is very talented!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrella View Post
happy birthday!

thanks for the update on otis..

looking forward to rading more!
Thank you!
Otis ate all day today, and even acted more normal- I think it was his birthday present to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrafter View Post
I am all caught up!

Sorry to hear about your kitty.

I think that the CM's are tired of the "What will you celebrate?" theme. When we went on the Disney part of our honeymoon back in May 2009, we were congratulated left and right-by EVERYBODY. It could be that it has been going on too long and it could be that too many people wear the buttons that it has just gotten old. IMO. I'm sorry that you, who actually WAS celebrating something (who cares if you got married in April or the day before you arrived) didn't get the recognition you deserved.

We only rode TSM once, because the wait times both times we were at DHS were over an hour and I refused to stand in line for anything that long. I'm serious-we would walk ALLLL the way over to an attraction see the wait time was more than an hour and walk away.
I definitely think the 'Celebrate' theme has worn out its specialness...
We weren't really looking for any special recognition, I just thought it would be fun to wear the pins and the ears (though we ended up feeling too weird about the pins to even think about wearing the ears!)

TSM is in no way shape or form worth the time we waited! We never wait for stuff- I have no explanation for why I wanted to wait for this... it certainly wasn't Ben's idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Great updates! I love the beach at the Poly...looks awesome!

I can't believe you stood in line again! You have more stamina than me. I don't think I have ever waited more than 10 minutes top for that ride. (I have to thank ridemax for that) I didn't know that Mr. Potato Head said anything. I guess when you walk right through you miss some of the stuff intended to be seen.

Hope your birthday is a good one!
All I can think is that I was happy to be out of the heat... even if we were standing in a boring line for an hour! Never again, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Three hours of waiting for two rides on TSM, ugh! Totally afraid that will be my fate during my trip in a few weeks. The plan is to hit up DHS on arrival day. Plane arrives at 8:55 a.m., we're going to pick up the rental car and go directly to DHS to grap TSM Fastpasses. Hopefully there will still some left Otherwise, we'll be waiting in those ridiculous lines come afternoon.

Cross your fingers for me!
Don't do it! If there is a wait, don't ride! Get FP (there very well may be some left when you get there!) and use those. Trust me, this ride is very good, but it is not worth a long wait. And the queue is boring!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #197
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Oh yeah!!! the heat!!! That is an excellent reason to stand in line. I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all. I wish I would have taken advantage of AC a bit better.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #198
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Joyce, I'm so sorry about Otis. It's the curse of having pets-- loving them so much (and getting so much in return) and them living WAY too short of lives.

If I were you guys, I would have been mad at TSMM, too! Lol, not the ride's fault, but after 3 hours total of waiting and no more Fastpasses, I would have been pretty peeved at it. Glad you were able to cool off with the Muppets! The Wave's menu never really appealed to me, but I'm glad you guys enjoyed it-- and your waiter wasn't a PITA!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 AM   #199
OhioDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Happy belated birthday. Sorry that I missed it.

We had to cancel our ADR at the Wave so it was nice to see your review. I can't believe that they didn't bus the table. Had to be interesting to accumulate a bunch of plates and stuff.

Hey BangBang Chicken...Where's Carl?http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post50814403 CURRENT TR in Progress Really? All of us? ... a Jan PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3186622
The Most Wonderful Thing About Tiggers...happened to us! A 2013 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066866
Road Trip! Stop1: Inkedupmomma's Wedding, Stop 2: Disney - A Feb 2013 PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post45966160
Small Po-taaaa-toes! My Sept 2011 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post42885313
The "I said I wasn't going to do a PTR...PTR (Sept 2011) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post39927349
Drama Please End...Fun, Please Begin..A Sept TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38357331
Old 10-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #200
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Oh yeah!!! the heat!!! That is an excellent reason to stand in line. I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all. I wish I would have taken advantage of AC a bit better.
Haha, if you could sit down while waiting, I wouldn't mind at all- it'd be a nice break from the heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Joyce, I'm so sorry about Otis. It's the curse of having pets-- loving them so much (and getting so much in return) and them living WAY too short of lives.

If I were you guys, I would have been mad at TSMM, too! Lol, not the ride's fault, but after 3 hours total of waiting and no more Fastpasses, I would have been pretty peeved at it. Glad you were able to cool off with the Muppets! The Wave's menu never really appealed to me, but I'm glad you guys enjoyed it-- and your waiter wasn't a PITA!
Thank you... Otis is still improving, he started eating cat food again and even played with Blanche a little. The prognosis is still very poor (there's no obvious reason for the kidney failure or the pancreatitis) but at least his quality of life seems better than it was.

The Wave is not on the 'let's go back there' list, but we enjoyed our meals. Dessert was a surprise hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDisneyLover View Post
Happy belated birthday. Sorry that I missed it.

We had to cancel our ADR at the Wave so it was nice to see your review. I can't believe that they didn't bus the table. Had to be interesting to accumulate a bunch of plates and stuff.
That's ok, my birthday comes and goes with little fanfare, if I can help it!

The lack of busing the table became pretty funny. You'd think the wiater would notice when he brought a new course that there wasn't room to put it down.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #201
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

I hope you had a happy birthday!

Sorry you had some un-Disney moments! I can not wait to try out TSM soon so I will understand what all the hype is about. I can't believe that it is always so busy!

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your meal at Sci-Fi. I'm getting really excited for our dinner there this November.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #202
Tracy161
DIS Veteran

So, so sorry to hear about Otis!!

Happy Birthday!

I am so glad that you went to Sci-Fi! We went there last summer for the first time and I absolutely LOVED it and can't wait to return!!! You have to try the milkshakes the next time though, they were amazing!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #203
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
I hope you had a happy birthday!

Sorry you had some un-Disney moments! I can not wait to try out TSM soon so I will understand what all the hype is about. I can't believe that it is always so busy!

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your meal at Sci-Fi. I'm getting really excited for our dinner there this November.
Thanks, turning 30 was uneventful which is a good thing!

TSM is a good ride. But it isn't worth the hype, IMHO.

We loved Sci-Fi! Their burgers were very very good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy161 View Post
So, so sorry to hear about Otis!!

Happy Birthday!

I am so glad that you went to Sci-Fi! We went there last summer for the first time and I absolutely LOVED it and can't wait to return!!! You have to try the milkshakes the next time though, they were amazing!!!
Thank you! That cat has us on an emotional roller coaster- this time last week he was so so sick. Now he is almost back to himself. I hope we can keep him this way a while!

I meant to try a milkshake! I guess I forgot... or got distracted by the great movies! It'll have to be next time, I guess.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #204
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Let me sneak in an update real quick-like, while I have a few minutes...

Day 8: I get mad, we have fun, Ben gets mad

We woke up this morning at 7:30AM and headed to Captain Cook's for breakfast. In general, we had good luck with eating here and finding a table as long as we were there before 8AM. It's a pretty small place for such a big resort, and most of the seating is outside in the stanky gross heat (it was so hot this trip, that I'd start sweating as soon as we left the room, even early in the day).
Anyway, I had Tonga Toast again (I don't eat the edges, so it's not that much food... right?) and Ben had the breakfast sandwich sliders (bacon egg and cheese). The food was fine and we were done pretty quickly.

We waited at the bus stop for just a moment before our bus pulled up. We were finally headed to Animal Kingdom!
I talked a bit in my Pre-trip Report about this park and the fact that we are odd ducks: we don't really care for the Safari ride. It's very well done and I enjoy the animals, but I just don't get the thrill others do by looking at them over and over. Still, I've been on it at least once every trip and every time wonder why I rode it again. This trip we decided that we don't have to ride something just because it's the popular ride in the park. So that meant we were headed to the Animal Kingdom and didn't need to rush right to the Safari with everyone else.

Without even trying to, we did make it for the park opening.

I was surprised to see that the opening ceremony/show was being held right at the entrance. I remember being let in the park up to the tree and the show happening up there. When did they change this?

While we waited, we were realizing that it was HOT outside. Like really hot. So hot that I actually wrote it in my notes from the trip even though this was our 8th day in the heat and we should've been used to it by now (yeah, I took notes on this trip. I'm a dork.)

That's me, waiting to get in the park. And being hot.

Once we were let in, we headed straight to Everest. There was no wait at all, so we walked right on. Actually, we did that a couple times! I love this ride- I happened to make a few trips to WDW the year it was being built and got to see the progression of the construction. I remember being so excited to finally ride it and it didn't disappoint! It was a little sad because this was my first time riding it since the Yeti stopped working and that was such a cool part of the ride... but not a huge deal and I can still hope they'll figure out how to use it again at some point...
One on of our rides, we posed for the picture

Since they charge about $17,000 for these, we just took a picture of it instead of buying one. I had walked away from the screens, not realizing the Ben was taking another picture. A woman standing near by saw what he was doing and said to her husband something like, "Who would take a picture of the picture?"
She obviously didn't realize that I was with Ben and that I could clearly hear what she said. At first I was mad, but then I realized that I am nosy and not good at minding my business, either. I also put my foot in my mouth a lot, and I am sure that I have done this sort of thing a bunch of times without realizing it. So this just served as a lesson to me to watch what I say in the future because it isn't fun to overhear someone talking about you.
See? Animal Kingdom is an educational park!

Anyway, having ridden EE a bunch of times, it was still only a little after 9AM when we headed toward Dinoland. The path from Asia to Dinoland was completely empty. It felt like we were the only people in the whole park!

We rode Dinosaur (a ride I happen to really enjoy, though I know it is not super popular among DISers) and were very sad to come back out into the heat. We tried to cool down in the gift shop, but it wasn't very cool in there. We were fading fast and getting grouchy.
Though I did manage to pose for this picture

After taking this, I realized it was a smoking spot. That explained why it smelled the way it did over there!

On the way out of Dinoland, we spotted a CM drawing with water. He had already finished quite a few.

I was especially happy to see Darkwing Duck!

Our next goal was to make it for the Festival of the Lion King that was starting pretty soon. Ben really didn't think he was gonna like this, but I was convinced that when he saw it, he'd get all the 'Disney Magic' of it and agree that we needed to come back next fall.

WAIT! I just realized that I never talked about this...
Ahem, bear with me a moment here...
Before we left for this trip, I had already booked an early October 2011 trip to take advantage of free dining, Food & Wine Festival, MNSSHP, and to celebrate my birthday (which at the time I thought was my 30th because I can't count. It will actually be my 31st. Don't laugh.) Ben knew about this and agreed with it. At some point during the week, before this AK day, he had made a comment about not wanting to come back the next year and it got me pissy.
I had not made it a secret how much I enjoy WDW and that I would always want a yearly trip if possible. Now he is telling me that the trip that is already booked isn't really something he wants to do?
At this point in the trip, on our AK day, I was convinced that he didn't actually like WDW and was just humoring me and it was really bugging me. But for some reason, I thought that the FOTLK was the key to bringing us back on the same page. I guess I forgot that Ben doesn't much care for theater. Or shows. But at least it has A/C!

So that is what was happening for me mentally, as we hurried over to Camp Minnie Mickey. I just hoped we'd make it in time for the show!

Up next: Do we see Lion King? Can I forgive Ben for not being the Disney freak I am? And how in the heck can I write so much about a park that we were only in for 3 hours?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #205
tankgirl427
DIS Veteran

Okay so.... since Ben doesn't want to go and BF doesn't want to , I think we might have to go!!!!!

"You held me down, but I got up, Get ready cause I’ve had enough."

PHM 2015-In Pursuit of Cupcakes While Running in Glass Slippers

Pre 2006 doesn't count, 2006: Dolphin, 2006: 16 hours of MK & EP, 2009: DL, 2010: PC with DDP, 2011: Off-site with friends & PC, 2012: AKL & BLT, POFQ, 2013: POP, POP, DL, POP
Old 10-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #206
klacey1
DIS Veteran

We are not KS fans either. It's okay, but it's just animals. There's a gorgeous zoo 45 minutes away from us that we think is must better.
I hope Ben was just feeling the effects of the heat when he mentioned that he didn't want to return! Hopefully he returned to his senses!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #207
JoanneMouse
Earning My Ears

I enjoyed reading your trip report!!!
Loved the pics!

First Disney trip when I was a couple of months old.
Cast Member Alumni on the CP 1998 at Animal Kingdom's opening year!
1 year anniversary celebration in 2002
DVC member in 2003
Found out we were having our first child on our first trip at DISNEYLAND 2008.
DS 1st WDW trip at 7 months old for brother in laws wedding at GF
DS 2nd trip for his 1st birthday
Over 100 times and still counting!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #208
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl427 View Post
Okay so.... since Ben doesn't want to go and BF doesn't want to , I think we might have to go!!!!!
I did tell Ben that just cause he doesn't go, doesn't mean I won't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
We are not KS fans either. It's okay, but it's just animals. There's a gorgeous zoo 45 minutes away from us that we think is must better.
I hope Ben was just feeling the effects of the heat when he mentioned that he didn't want to return! Hopefully he returned to his senses!
Exactly- I enjoy a good zoo and all, and I actually prefer the walking trails at AK to the Safari. The bonus is that we don't have to wait for those!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #209
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneMouse View Post
I enjoyed reading your trip report!!!
Loved the pics!
Thank you! Hope you stick around for the rest... there's lots more adventures and a WHOLE lot more bank-breaking!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #210
DisneyCrafter
DIS Veteran

Greg and I had a "moment" during our AK day, too. It was the half way point for our trip and I realized I was doing too much,well WE were doing too much. Greg also lost his KTTW card this day and instead of being the good wife and going with him to Guest Relations to replace it, I had a hissy fit and went on both EE and walked one of the trails-by myself. I told him that it didn't look like he was having fun when really it was ME that wasn't having fun. Luckily, we went back to AK another day and rode EE together, well, as single riders but in the same cart.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: