Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #166
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Day 6, cont: Exploring the world, one drink at a time. (including exactly one rude server)

We left off having just returned to Innoventions. Before leaving for the trip, I had a list of things I wanted to try for the first time and Innoventions was one of them. Even though we ended up not doing too many of the exhibits, we really enjoyed the things we did. This time, as we walked in we were face to face with someone wearing a purple and black uniform who needed our help! That's right, it was a CM recruiting secret agents to help Kim Possible save the world. Who are we to refuse to help? So with a FP in hand to bring to Norway a bit later, we continued through Innoventions (I'd like to point out at this point that I have no idea which one is East vs. West and just refer to it all as one place. Sorry.) to our destination:

Segways! I have been interested in these things since I first heard about them and was excited to get to try (for free! for a couple of seconds!)

We waited for a bit, and talked to the guy in front of us a little while in line.

There weren't too many people ahead of us, but as we were very close to being next, a couple of woman who had planned on just taking pictures of their DHs decided to ride after all. No big deal, we just went after them.

So when the CM told me to go stand on the '2' (or 'B', I can't remember, but it was the second lane over) I did. And the lady who had just decided to ride (but wasn't waiting where she needed to be) came running over and snapped at me, 'Actually, I am next.'
Taken by surprise, I smiled and said, 'That's ok.' Which looking back, may not have been the appropriate response but it just came out. I think she thought I was being snotty, but I thought she was too, so I guess we're even! I wasn't trying to cut in front of her, I just went where the CM told me!

Keep in mind that you're only on the Segway for 5 seconds. It really didn't make the slightest difference who was next!
I hate to admit that I let this bother me more than it should have and I probably voiced my feelings to Ben a bit louder than I needed to. This bad attitude probably meant that I was getting hungry...

Anyway, we got on our Segways and they were fun! I impressed myself with how well I took to it.

We both decided that a Segway tour would be a good idea on our next trip.

Now it was time to make our way to the World Showcase! We passed the Norway Kim Possible kiosk (the CM there saw our pins and congratulated us) and went directly to China to grab a CS meal to share. I don't remember what we ate.. maybe a shrimp lo mein type something? It was just ok, not great. It did the job of holding us over till our early dinner ADR at Le Cellier.
Because I wanted to try the Green Tea Plum Slush I had read about, we stopped to get a drink in China. We left the tea cart with a Tsing Tao beer for Ben and a Gingerita for me. Wait, what? I'm not sure, either... when I ordered the Tea slush, the CM answered by telling me the Gingerita was their most popular and handed me a sample. It wasn't bad, but I don't love ginger. But sometimes I am too polite, and ended up paying almost $8 for a drink I didn't order.
I have no explanation! Oh well, it was cold and alcoholic and definitely a different experience!

With drinks in hand, we could start our KP mission! We walked back to the kiosk and the same CM congratulated us again. Then we got our Kimmunicator and started a mission in Norway.

I don't want to give anything away about Kim Possible, but I will say this: DO IT! And drink while you do!

After completing the mission, we were really hot and decided to wait for another day to do the other missions. That meant it was time for my next must-do: Margarita flight in Mexico! As we walked back through Norway and past the same KP CM, he congratulated us again. With no recognition that he recognized we were the same people. Let's just call him 'Dory'!

The Tequila bar is sooooo nice! And the bartenders were great. When we sat down, the menu didn't mention the flight. So we asked at the bar and were told that they weren't serving it, but he'd make us one anyway. thanks, sir!
While we waited, he handed out a taste of the cactus margarita and it was goooooood!

So it turns out, these things were all very yummy. Though I wasn't able to remember which one was which even while drinking them, so there's no chance I can give you all a useful review. Forgive me!

Our bartender friend took our picture, but we forgot the camera was on some funky setting. Oh well, it just looks like the tequila bar is underwater a little...

We left Mexico and did the most logical thing after tasting little margaritas: I got a mango margarita at the stand outside! Ben got a Dos Equis and we walked along the Showcase. We had to wait at the draw bridge for the Illumination barges to head out, and the sky was looking pretty ominous. Just as the bridge went down, it started to rain. Along with a lot of other people, we ran for cover at the Outpost.

The rain continued, but eventually slacked off enough for us to feel ok heading out in it. We made it to Germany and found cover near the CS place, where we got a couple of Oktoberfest beers, of course. The rain stopped right after we got the beers.

We felt it was time to see what Morocco wanted to sell us.
Turns out, it was a Casa Beer (kinda gross) and a daiquiri (eh, ok). We checked out the shops, but didn't buy anything (our only purchses tend to be things we can eat or drink )
We stopped for an important photo op

Next was Japan, and the Mitsukoshi store where I really wanted to get some candy.
First, I had a moment with a favorite toy from my childhood:

I loved my Monchichi!

We headed back to the candy section and I thought we'd try one of the wacky looking things they have on display. Things that have warnings like this on the package:

But after hearing a few people sing the praises of these cookies, we had to try them:

These little gems are amazing! Yum, yum, yum!

Having skipped any alcoholic drinks in Japan (but still managing to spend some money), it was time to head to dinner in Canada.

We waited just long enough to take this picture:

Then were shown to our table. Our server came over and asked what we were celebrating. When we answered, he asked when we got married. After hearing that our wedding was in April, he laughed and said 'and you even have the pins on?' Umm... yeah...
So now we feel kinda dumb. This would be the last day we wore our pins, for sure. We never got any extras for celebrating, and we didn't really expect to. This guy seemed to think that we were trying to get away with something with our 'celebration'
So with that fun beginning, we ordered our meals. We split a cheddar cheese soup (as good as we had hoped!) and I had the Coffee Rubbed Kansas City Strip for my entree. Ben got the New York Strip. We thoroughly enjoyed our food, and even had some nice dinner company in the couple sitting next to us.
They were from Quebec and were great to talk to. They had recently bought DVC and we spent a bit of time talking to them about it (since we were planning on taking the tour in a few days). When the server brought our desserts (Maple Creme Brullee and Chocolate Cake, both very good!) the woman we were talking to reminded him that it was our honeymoon. What do you think his response was?
'It's a fake honeymoon!'
He sort of chuckled, and I think he was trying to be funny, but it just came of as socially inept and and a bit rude. Ben and I are both quite laid back and have great senses of humor (really, we do! I swear!) but this struck us as just not very nice. We at least saved a little bit of money on the tip, though!

After our very filling, and somewhat boggling dinner we left the park. We took a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge in order to transfer to DTD. I was completely exhausted, but Ben wanted to get our souvenir buying out of the way so I agreed. We quickly found a dinosaur puzzle thing for our nephew and a cute Tinkerbell bag for our niece. Phew, done!

We waited just a little for a bus back to the Poly, and I slept standing up.

When we got back to the Poly, I wandered to the beach in front of the Poly and laid in a hammock.

I don't remember why I chose to do this- Wishes had already happened and I probably should have gone right to bed. But it was very nice to watch the ferry go back and forth and enjoy the Poly.

We finally headed to bed around 10:45.

Next morning would be an early one- we had to make rope drop at DHS!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #167
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Great updates! You did a few things that I have never done. The behind the seeds tour, the sum of all thrills and the KP mission. I am going to have to try them.

Sorry for the rude woman. I think the heat makes some people get so antsy about the lines.

Eating and drinking around the world in Epcot is so much fun. Someday, I hope to do more drinking...but for now I just couldn't.

The rain - was that the 7th? We were in Epcot on the 7th and the rain started up when we were in Germany...so if you were there that day, you were not far behind us (looks like you went in a clockwise rotation, right?)

Quote:
As we walked back through Norway and past the same KP CM, he congratulated us again. With no recognition that he recognized we were the same people. Let's just call him 'Dory'!
At least Dory was trying
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #168
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Great updates! You did a few things that I have never done. The behind the seeds tour, the sum of all thrills and the KP mission. I am going to have to try them.

Sorry for the rude woman. I think the heat makes some people get so antsy about the lines.

Eating and drinking around the world in Epcot is so much fun. Someday, I hope to do more drinking...but for now I just couldn't.

The rain - was that the 7th? We were in Epcot on the 7th and the rain started up when we were in Germany...so if you were there that day, you were not far behind us (looks like you went in a clockwise rotation, right?)

At least Dory was trying
Yes, this was the 7th! And we were going clockwise, we must have been quite near you!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #169
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
Yes, this was the 7th! And we were going clockwise, we must have been quite near you!
You sure were. We made our way to Italy when the rain let up. Looks like because you had your Le Cellier ADR you would have passed us at some point. We took a LONG time going through World showcase since we ended our day at Le Cellier.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #170
klacey1
DIS Veteran

I would have wanted to SLAP that waiter! What a "word that is not DisAppropriate!!" Couples waiting a little while to go on their honeymoon after the wedding isn't exactly a new thing! Plenty of our friends needed a couple of months to save up after their wedding in order to even afford a trip! I know you guys took a trip after your wedding, but STILL! Disney was still your honeymoon. That's honestly just crappy customer service. I always wonder why people like that are waiters!
Mmm, all this drink talk is making me want to crack open the Sam Adams Octoberfest that's in our fridge! That's weird that the CM kinda forced the ginger drink on you after you clearly stated what you wanted!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #171
JMat
Mouseketeer

wow - Im pretty irate at your service at Le Cellier. There are certainly exceptions and slack for bad days - but SEVERAL rude comments? Yikes. The Boston girl in me may have flared up at that... or at least told him there was food in his teeth or he had "TERRIBLE BREATH" in a really loud voice

Im glad you at least had some tequila beforehand though!! Maybe that helped to take the edge off? Either way, im glad you got to enjoy the rest of the evening. Loving the silly faces Ben makes sometimes... and charmed to see you sleeping and standing at the same time!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #172
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
I would have wanted to SLAP that waiter! What a "word that is not DisAppropriate!!" Couples waiting a little while to go on their honeymoon after the wedding isn't exactly a new thing! Plenty of our friends needed a couple of months to save up after their wedding in order to even afford a trip! I know you guys took a trip after your wedding, but STILL! Disney was still your honeymoon. That's honestly just crappy customer service. I always wonder why people like that are waiters!
Mmm, all this drink talk is making me want to crack open the Sam Adams Octoberfest that's in our fridge! That's weird that the CM kinda forced the ginger drink on you after you clearly stated what you wanted!
I know.. it hadn't even been 5 months! And he didn't know whether we went on a trip already or not, as if that would even matter. Guh, he was a turd.

All I could think is that they had a surplus of Gingerita in China and she needed to offload it. It wasn't bad, but had pretty big chunks of ginger floating in it that got stuck in my teeth. Haha, I guess that sounds kinda bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMat View Post
wow - Im pretty irate at your service at Le Cellier. There are certainly exceptions and slack for bad days - but SEVERAL rude comments? Yikes. The Boston girl in me may have flared up at that... or at least told him there was food in his teeth or he had "TERRIBLE BREATH" in a really loud voice

Im glad you at least had some tequila beforehand though!! Maybe that helped to take the edge off? Either way, im glad you got to enjoy the rest of the evening. Loving the silly faces Ben makes sometimes... and charmed to see you sleeping and standing at the same time!
Luckily for Mr. Mean Canada Dude, I am in general quite non-confrontational and I didn't react much to him. Though I think Ben may have insulted him when he asked if the server knew what the 'Nunavut Territory thing' was that we saw on the wall near us since we had never heard of the place. The waiter got a bit huffy when explaining that of course he knew, he is Canadian. We were just trying to learn about the country, but he was wound a little tight it seemed.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:26 AM   #173
OhioDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
I totally agree! I would have wanted to slap that waiter too and I probably would have left a crappy tip to thank him for his rudeness.

Hey BangBang Chicken...Where's Carl?http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post50814403 CURRENT TR in Progress Really? All of us? ... a Jan PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3186622
The Most Wonderful Thing About Tiggers...happened to us! A 2013 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066866
Road Trip! Stop1: Inkedupmomma's Wedding, Stop 2: Disney - A Feb 2013 PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post45966160
Small Po-taaaa-toes! My Sept 2011 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post42885313
The "I said I wasn't going to do a PTR...PTR (Sept 2011) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post39927349
Drama Please End...Fun, Please Begin..A Sept TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38357331
Old 10-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #174
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDisneyLover View Post
I totally agree! I would have wanted to slap that waiter too and I probably would have left a crappy tip to thank him for his rudeness.
No one got slapped, but there may have been a very crappy tip left...
Old 10-07-2010, 03:05 AM   #175
ChiCat
DIS Veteran

I just love your TR I'm the exact same way when I get hungry, it's even worse when I'm tired and hungry.

And I can't believe that waiter! What a jerk!!

CBR 9/2011
best trip so far 12/2013
Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #176
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hate to admit that I let this bother me more than it should have and I probably voiced my feelings to Ben a bit louder than I needed to. This bad attitude probably meant that I was getting hungry...
I am the same way! My husband can always tell my hunger level by how cranky I am. I am part toddler, I think.

Quote:
But sometimes I am too polite, and ended up paying almost $8 for a drink I didn't order.
I have no explanation! I don't want to give anything away about Kim Possible, but I will say this: DO IT! And drink while you do!
We ALMOST did Kim Possible as well! However, our mission was in China, we had already been to China, and our lunch ressies were close... BIL wasn't too happy by that. He was excited for KP! It is on our list for next time!

Quote:
We headed back to the candy section and I thought we'd try one of the wacky looking things they have on display. Things that have warnings like this on the package:

Too funny! I am going to have to check out the candy next time we go... and get some of those Panda cookies!

Quote:
'It's a fake honeymoon!'
He sort of chuckled, and I think he was trying to be funny, but it just came of as socially inept and and a bit rude. Ben and I are both quite laid back and have great senses of humor (really, we do! I swear!) but this struck us as just not very nice. We at least saved a little bit of money on the tip, though!
ARGH. That is upsetting! We went on our honeymoon just last year! We finally had the money to do it! No one said anything to us, though.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #177
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCat View Post
I just love your TR I'm the exact same way when I get hungry, it's even worse when I'm tired and hungry.

And I can't believe that waiter! What a jerk!!
Thanks for reading, I'm glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboedm View Post
I am the same way! My husband can always tell my hunger level by how cranky I am. I am part toddler, I think.

We ALMOST did Kim Possible as well! However, our mission was in China, we had already been to China, and our lunch ressies were close... BIL wasn't too happy by that. He was excited for KP! It is on our list for next time!

Too funny! I am going to have to check out the candy next time we go... and get some of those Panda cookies!

ARGH. That is upsetting! We went on our honeymoon just last year! We finally had the money to do it! No one said anything to us, though.
I hope that guy gets married someday and can't take a honeymoon right away. Then I hope he thinks about when he was a CM in Epcot and is a little sorry that he was suck a jerk-head.

Anywho, you need to do Kim Possible!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #178
guitarob
Polynesian Obsessed

I'm in , albeit a little late... now to catch up...

When we get to heaven, We'll hear "ALOHA!" 2010 Trip Report

1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990 & 1993: Family trips to the Polynesian,
2001 - All Star Music, 2006 - Polynesian, 2008 - Honeymoon at the Polynesian, 2009 - Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2010 - Another Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2012 - Yet ANOTHER Anniversary at the Polynesian and a Christmas trip to the Polynesian!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #179
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarob View Post
I'm in , albeit a little late... now to catch up...
Hiya, so glad to have you along! I am loving your trip report and psyched that you stopped by to check this one out!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #180
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

I had really thought that I would have another update by now, but life kinda got in the way. I got some very sad news today about one of our cats, Otis. He's very sick, and it's not the kind of sick that will get better. I have some medications to give him to help him be comfortable, but I feel awful to be stressing him out by giving them to him. We're just trying to enjoy him and love him as much as we can right now.

This is Mr. Oat-man. He is the world's best cat and truly one of a kind.

So I just don't really feel like writing at the moment. But this TR is a way for me to escape the stress of life, so I am sure that I'll have an update soon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: