Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
Headro17
Earning My Ears

First time going as a family of 6-Which resort?

Hi there

This is our first time going as a family of 6. Last time we only had 2 and stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. We LOVED it there!

Right now I am trying to take advantage of the free dining. We have holds for

Caribbean Beach (2 rooms)
Pop (2 rooms)
All star Music
Beach Club (standard lagoon view)
Poly (standard)

I have never been to any of these resorts and I am looking for what is the best option. We will be there in Nov. My childrens ages are 9,6,4, & 2

Thank you!
Headro17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headro17 View Post
Hi there

This is our first time going as a family of 6. Last time we only had 2 and stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. We LOVED it there!

Pop (2 rooms)
All star Music
Poly (standard)

I have never been to any of these resorts and I am looking for what is the best option. We will be there in Nov. My childrens ages are 9,6,4, & 2

Thank you!
Well, you won't be able to stay in just one room.....It's limited to 4 plus one under 3. You will have 5 plus one under 3. So, unless something has changed, it's going to have to be two rooms. With your kids' ages, I would be very tempted to get two rooms at Pop. Or possibly a family suite at AoA.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

The OP can stay in any room that sleeps 5 because the 2 year old doesn't count for room occupancy.

So, one room at Beach Club or Polynesian in totally do-able. In fact, one room at Port Orleans is possible given some of those rooms will sleep 5 plus a 2 year old (though it would be a tight fit!). Of course, Port Orleans is not available with free dining, which is what the OP wants.

As for what the OP should do: With children ages 9,6,4 & 2, the free dining could work out well if you want to do lots of character meals as those get pretty spendy with 3 children (there is no charge for the 2 year old). However, a room only discount is usually the better option for deluxe resorts like Poly and Beach Club.

Probably the cheapest option is 2 rooms at Pop (or another value) with free dining, and then paying extra for an upgrade to the regular dining.

If you price out two rooms at Caribbean Beach, including free dining, versus one room at Beach Club or Poly on a RO discount and then paying for your dining out of pocket, you may find that the deluxe is not that much more.

As for which resort is the best for a family with small children, my vote would be either Poly or the Contemporary. Both have large comfortable rooms plus easy access by monorail to the Magic Kingdom (which is where you are likely to spend the bulk of your time given the ages of your children). Staying at a monorail resort is great as you can wheel the kids on and off the monorail while keeping them in their strollers. Your other choices require getting on and off a bus (which means carrying kids and strollers separately onto the bus).

For me, the Contemporary is the best of all possible worlds because you can walk from the hotel to the Magic Kingdom (and when the kids are tired, you can walk back to the hotel for a nap or swim). The Poly is also a good choice as you have easy monorail access to both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot since the Poly is within walking distance of both monorails.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB View Post
The OP can stay in any room that sleeps 5 because the 2 year old doesn't count for room occupancy.

So, one room at Beach Club or Polynesian in totally do-able. In fact, one room at Port Orleans is possible given some of those rooms will sleep 5 plus a 2 year old (though it would be a tight fit!). Of course, Port Orleans is not available with free dining, which is what the OP wants.

As for what the OP should do: With children ages 9,6,4 & 2, the free dining could work out well if you want to do lots of character meals as those get pretty spendy with 3 children (there is no charge for the 2 year old). However, a room only discount is usually the better option for deluxe resorts like Poly and Beach Club.

Probably the cheapest option is 2 rooms at Pop (or another value) with free dining, and then paying extra for an upgrade to the regular dining.

If you price out two rooms at Caribbean Beach, including free dining, versus one room at Beach Club or Poly on a RO discount and then paying for your dining out of pocket, you may find that the deluxe is not that much more.

As for which resort is the best for a family with small children, my vote would be either Poly or the Contemporary. Both have large comfortable rooms plus easy access by monorail to the Magic Kingdom (which is where you are likely to spend the bulk of your time given the ages of your children). Staying at a monorail resort is great as you can wheel the kids on and off the monorail while keeping them in their strollers. Your other choices require getting on and off a bus (which means carrying kids and strollers separately onto the bus).

For me, the Contemporary is the best of all possible worlds because you can walk from the hotel to the Magic Kingdom (and when the kids are tired, you can walk back to the hotel for a nap or swim). The Poly is also a good choice as you have easy monorail access to both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot since the Poly is within walking distance of both monorails.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!
Duh!!!!....I knew that. Sorry. You're absolutely right.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
texasbelle12
Earning My Ears

We stayed in one of the Calypso family suites at All-Star Music in March of 2013 with 6 "adults": my parents, my brother (age 14), myself and my boyfriend (became fiancé over the trip!). My sister (17) joined us for the last half of our stay since she was visiting with her HS band.

It was definitely crowded, but doable, in the rooms, with my sister and I sharing the pull-out sofa and my brother and fiancé either on the chair or ottoman that converted into twin beds. I'm pretty sure I stubbed my toe a few times on the furniture, causing me to say some not "Disney-friendly" words.

The perks of the family suite was the two bathrooms, with the separate sink area. The mini-kitchen area, which I believe we just used the fridge and sink, was also great and we stored a bunch of our DP desserts there. We had plenty of storage room though with all of the suitcases, and only kept the beds folded out when we needed them. Since most of our time was not spent in the room, we really just needed a place to sleep. Also since our rooms were in Calypso we were one of the closest buildings to the food court/buses, which was really nice in the morning!
texasbelle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headro17 View Post
Hi there

Pop (2 rooms)
All star Music
Poly (standard)

Thank you!
I would go with Caribbean Beach as first choice and Pop as second choice.
I would not want to stay in a room with six people. Period.
I've stayed at Music for a couple of short stays (1-2 nights) but the theming just doesn't do it for me.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
arrical8
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 6 and decided to stay at the Fort Wilderness cabins!

We wanted a garden room at the Contemporary but they sold out quickly during our dates. So we regrouped and decided our family would be better at the cabins and we saved about $900!

Offsite (1980s), Disneyland Off-site (1990), Contemporary (1990), Grand Floridian (2005), All Star Movies (1 night-2008),
All Star Sports (1 night-2010), The Cabins at Fort Wilderness Resort (September 2014)

PTR: Team GLAMED takes over the WORLD 09/21-09/29

Last edited by arrical8; 05-09-2014 at 06:10 PM.
arrical8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
MsDeVil
Earning My Ears

We stayed at the Poly with 5 people (3 kids- 5, 3, and 18 months) and thought it was perfect. The only reason we aren't staying there this time as a family of 6 (kids 7, 5, 4, and 1) is bc of all of the construction. The main benefit is the monorail access. We're trying the BC this time to see how it goes. Of course, the building we stayed in at the Poly- Tahiti- is turning into DVC and that was what made the monorail so awesome- we could just walk to the TTC hub. I still think that a monorail or walkable to Epcot resort is a must for us. We just aren't fans of bus transportation at all- the one time we did it to AK collapsing the stroller and waiting on buses with small kids just wasn't fun for us.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
Adam H
Mouseketeer

We do two rooms at the Poly. Even with the construction, it's still the best location on property, IMO. You have the monorail and can walk to the TTC. Also, the rooms are huge.
Adam H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

You might want to check out the Wilderness Lodge Deluxe CL. They fit 6 people.

DH DW DD DS
davale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #11
mamato3sweetgirls
Earning My Ears

We're a family of 5 and just took our first trip last September. We stayed in a family suite at AOA. This year, we're staying at the Contemporary and are looking forward to the proximity to MK and monorail access. I just wanted to make sure you know that the pool at the Poly is supposed to be under construction in November. Even in November, I'm sure our girls will want to swim. I believe guests staying at the Poly are supposed to have access to the pool at GF.
mamato3sweetgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
Babsy
DIS Veteran

We went as a family of 6 last NOVEMBER and we chose to do 2 rooms at the CR and then the YC. The CR was so much more convenient with small children. Everyone says it because it's true. The walk from the CR to the MK is wonderful!. The rooms in the CR are huge ( I think that the clean lines in the CR rooms make them feel even more spacious) and the beds are so comfortable. The only negative to the CR was the shallow, flat bottom sinks (WHAT were they thinking?)
The GV GW rooms at the GR are good value with a discount or FD.
The YC was OK, too, but we wished that we had stayed at the CR for the entire stay. Much more important to have easy access to the MK for us with the small children. We went there from the YC but hated the buses. Also, the rooms were way smaller!!

If I were going with your selection of resorts, I would choose an option with 2 rooms - either POP or CBR. I would probably go CBR in preferred rooms.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Two rooms or family suite that has the two bathrooms!

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
Runnergal
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at the poly when we were a family of 4, and the CR with 6, and while I love both with little kids I don't think I could all of us in one room again. And we stayed CL, so even with the lounge to use it was just too tight. Also, poly construction would concern me. It could definitely be warm enough to swim in November and I wouldn't want to spend to stay at poly and not have a pool. I haven't stayed at the others but my vote is for wherever you can get two rooms.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
worker33
Earning My Ears

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

My first choice would be Poly for the range of ages you have coming. If you intend on staying in one room than Poly or Beach Club would be amazing resort experiences. Beach Club allows walk in access to epcot and boardwalk....may be nice when taking advantage of the free dining plan. Poly is an amazing setting with a fun monorail ride to MK.
worker33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: