Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
ChristaDeVil
DIS Veteran

Non-Disney Restaurants that are worth your while!

Hey all! We're planning our April 2011 trip, and this is the first time I'm planning a "not complete Disney" trip. We are staying off-site for the first time (Cypress Palms), and we are going to venture out and do Sea World, maybe Universal, and some other things. We have used the Dining Plan for three years in a row, so we're excited to get away from the Mouse for our meals this time! We will be making some things in the condo, but are looking for some quality restaurants for dinners. We're two adults and one child (who will be 10 on the trip). We will eat pretty much anything...we're all a little adventurous when it comes to food. We like a really good steak every once in a while. We're looking for "normal" prices, but we would splurge a couple of times. What are your favorite Orlando "non-Disney" eats? I already know that we need to go to Sweet Tomatoes, so that's on our list. We're also thinking about heading over to Universal City Walk one night, so recommendations for there would be great, also!!!!! Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
digskat
Got Goldendoodle?
"I don't feel like dancin'"
Why is it when I hear this song all I want to do is DANCE??

we are big fans of Bahama Breeze. Great steak, nice atmosphere, and only about a 10 minute drive across 192 and up 535 from Cypress Palms.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
festivedaisy
Earning My Ears

You may want to check out restaurant.com - I just bought gift certificates for Giordano's pizza and House of Blues (downtown Disney). Use code "touchdown" for 80% off.

-------------------------
May 2013 Windsor Hills; Aug 2012 AKL; Dec 2011 POR, AKL; Oct 2010 Silver Lake; May 2010 POFQ; Sept 2009 CSR; Aug 2009 Beach Club; Dec 2008 Marriott Grande Vista; Aug 2008 Marriott Horizons; Dec 2007 Silver Lake; Dec 2006 Orbit One; Sept 2006 Vistana Villages; Dec 2005 Bryan's Spanish Cove; May 2005 CBR
festivedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
ChristaDeVil
DIS Veteran

Oh, wow! Thanks for that, FestiveDaisy!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
digskat
Got Goldendoodle?
"I don't feel like dancin'"
Why is it when I hear this song all I want to do is DANCE??

Quote:
Originally Posted by festivedaisy View Post
You may want to check out restaurant.com - I just bought gift certificates for Giordano's pizza and House of Blues (downtown Disney). Use code "touchdown" for 80% off.
do you know if this offer is for Canadian also?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
bankr63
DIS Veteran

A coupe of favorites along Sand Lake West near Dr Philips.

Seasons 52 has an outstanding menu based on seasonal ingredients and low calorie.

Also really enjoyed Cantina Laredo for Mexican, just off SLW on Via Dellagio.

Found both by reading the food section of the Orlando Sentinel newspaper (online). A great way to find out what the locals think is hot and worthwhile without sticking to the chains we all know.

M Ross
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
Pineapple Whip
Burning My Ears

As a local, you're going to have a better time offsite.

The sites below will point you to an array of prices, so check the restaurant websites. Pointe Orlando and Dr. Phillips will be in your Sea World / Universal area. Bahama Breeze is excellent, but go to the one on 535 not I-Drive.

Winter Park, Downtown / East Orlando, and even E. Colonial have some good offerings, but they're about 20-30 minutes away, and you should be prepared for some urban exposures in case that's not your thing.

You want to check the South Orlando, Dr. Phillips, I-Drive, Williamsburg, and Kissimmee / 192 areas which are all near enough to your hotel.

http://www.pointeorlando.com/

http://www.orlandomagazine.com/Orlan...Dining-Awards/

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ex...ed=0CEAQtQMwAw

DESPERADOS: Because laminated schedules have no place on a vacation.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2522331
Pineapple Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
garmich
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digskat View Post
do you know if this offer is for Canadian also?
It's for anybody. Go to their website and select the certificates for the restaurants that you want to visit. Then you create an account. You go to the checkout and input your credit card info. Then you print the certificates. You should also save a pdf copy on your computer.
Aug 2010 - Offsite - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Cypress Palms, & Four Points Sheraton Studio City
Aug 2012 - Offsite - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Cypress Palms, & Four Points Sheraton Studio City
Sept 2013 - Disneyland / California Adventure (First time) & Las Vegas - Offsite - Wyndham Dolphin's Cove
Dec 2014 - Offsite - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, & Four Points Sheraton Studio City

garmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:31 AM   #9
happymommy
DIS Veteran

When we stayed at Marriott's Grande Vista in March (near Universal and right by Sea World) we ate late lunch our first day at the Outback Steakhouse right near there. I'm not usually a huge fan of this chain, but now am a convert! It was a delicious meal and very inexpensive (like $15 for a huge steak meal, and good cold inexpensive beer too). The meal was better than Le Cellier at a fraction of the cost. I forget the address, but you can look them up online maybe - definitely recommend it for dinner if you're at Sea World as it's very very close.

Have a great trip!

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
ChristaDeVil
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Whip View Post
As a local, you're going to have a better time offsite.

The sites below will point you to an array of prices, so check the restaurant websites. Pointe Orlando and Dr. Phillips will be in your Sea World / Universal area. Bahama Breeze is excellent, but go to the one on 535 not I-Drive.

Winter Park, Downtown / East Orlando, and even E. Colonial have some good offerings, but they're about 20-30 minutes away, and you should be prepared for some urban exposures in case that's not your thing.

You want to check the South Orlando, Dr. Phillips, I-Drive, Williamsburg, and Kissimmee / 192 areas which are all near enough to your hotel.

http://www.pointeorlando.com/

http://www.orlandomagazine.com/Orlan...Dining-Awards/

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ex...ed=0CEAQtQMwAw
Thanks Pineapple Whip! What great links!!!! My husband and I are getting more and more excited about exploring outside of what my husband refers to as "the grasp of the Giant White Mouse Hand".
Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
cmclaura
How many more days til our next cruise?????

I used to live in Orlando, so there's a couple of places we always have to go back to. One is Chevys, a Tex-Mex chain. We've eaten at Chevy's all over and I have to give huge kudos to the location at Crossroads, just across the street from the boulevard that leads to Downtown Disney. Despite how busy it can become, they give great service and the food is always amazing.

We like Margaritaville in Universal City Walk, but go EARLY, before they do their concerts there. Somehow, the service falls off hugely after a certain hour. Earlier on, it's fun and fantastic.

If you're looking for a quick, fast food dining experience that's different, and run across Fazoli's, they're a great Italian fast food place. Excellent breadsticks and alfredo sauce.

There used to be a lot more places but they keep changing hands or closing, so I'm starting to feel like a tourist there myself these days.

YES! We are DVC Members! Since February 2009! Best thing we ever did! WONDER 1/17-20/2008 3 Night Bahamas MAGIC 1/17-24/2009 7 Night Eastern Caribbean MAGIC 1/9-16/2020 7 Night Western Caribbean MAGIC 1/8-15/2011 7 Night Western Caribbean
DREAM 12/20/2011-1/3/2012 5 Night Double Dip New Year’s Eve Bahamas DREAM 1/3-8/2012 5 Night Double Dip Back to Back Bahamas MAGIC 8/5-10/2012 5 Night NYC to Canada DREAM 1/6-10/2013 4 Night Bahamas
DREAM 1/10-13/2013 3 Night Bahamas DVC Member Cruise WDW 10/19-24/2013 Visit with Daughter in Disney College Program FANTASY 2/1-8/2014 7 Night Western Caribbean PLATINUM!!! and GRAND SLAM MEMBERS! UPCOMING CRUISES:s DREAM 1/9/15 3 Night Bahamas, WONDER 7/6/15 7 Night ALASKA, and WONDER 1/31/16 7 Night Southern Caribbean from San Juan
cmclaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
scubamouse
Mouseketeer
My shoes match. I know, I checked!

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Bahama Breeze but I'm more of a quality over quantity gal

We went to Carrabas for Italian and it was great. We also went to Roy's for a great special meal.
2005 Christmas at Villas Wilderness Lodge
2006 at Wilderness Lodge
2007 Beach Club Villas with free dining
2008 Beach Club villas
Spring break 2009 Howard Johnson's at Disneyland
August 26 - September 5, 2010 Bonnet Creek
Planning an August 2012 trip
scubamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
jksgrammy
Never too old for WDW!

When in April are you going? If it's Easter week, then be prepared for LONG wait times/lines at any of the restaurants (unless you avoid normal meal times). Bahama Breeze can get crazy for wait times - almost 2 hours during prime dinner time during any holiday/tourist week.

Hubby & I enjoy Smokey Bones and frequent them during their 1/2 off appetizer/drink hours. Check their website for addresses, special offers.

Also, we found a Japanese restaurant on 192 that was wonderful - very inexpensive, fixed meals right in front of you. I need to try and find out the name of this one - it was a "keeper" in my book and we'll be wanting to go back when we're there in January 2011.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
ChristaDeVil
DIS Veteran

We will be there the first week of April, so we'll miss the Easter crowds. We've dealt with the spring breakers before, so we're not worried about that.

I'm so glad someone recommended Chevy's. We don't have one around here, and I've always wanted to eat there! Thanks for all the input!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #15
Redwitch
DIS Veteran

I compiled a list of off site restaurants for our trip. Here is a link to the thread, hope you find it helpful....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2522966

RedWitch Mikka (DD) Ebony RIP Amber Khan Tora Raion

Hoping for trips in May and October of 2015!
Redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote