Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #16
sk8jdgca
Mouseketeer

Day 3 Magic Kingdom

So the plan was to go to Capitan Cooks for Tonga toast today, however the kids were up late doing Mini Golf (which by the ay was really good-Try fantasia mini golf if you have time)

So change of plan- we stopped at Mara's on our way to MK. Here is my tip of the day. I got 2 bounty platters. I asked for no sausage just bacon (which was good by the way-nice and crispy not flabby or burned) DD and I gave DS our waffles and I gave him some of my bacon. It stil left lots of food for us. I don't like scrambled eggs but these were good-the chef showed me the real eggs they use. They are fluffy and tastey. I picked up 4 big bottles (2 choc milks, 1 canberry and a Fuuz for DD. Plenty of food and a great use of 2 credits.

There was no line up this time, so we stopped and used one snack crdit on a cinnemon bun- wow did we eat that fast- we were like vultures on road kill.

Lunch-Columbia House

2 tuna sandwiches -came with chips, 2 large drinks, 1 ice water, 2 apple pie treats. I ordered OOPs the soup of the day which was veggie chili. Again great tuna sandwiches on a rich multigrain bread. The desserts were good and we kept the chips for later

Dinner
Cosmic Rays

The kids wanted soup and sandwiches but there didn't seem to be any here. DD chose the bacon cheese burger. DS and I split the 1/2 chicken. I didn't
really like the potatoes here- a big gummy. DD said her burger was good. The 1/2 chicken is way too much food for 1 so it was good to share. The desserts here were carrot cake- the icing was too sweet for the kids- and you know that is bad- I don;t think we'd come here again. The kids thought the piano player was bad

Later we used 2 snakc credits for 2 floats- they were good but the kids chugged them down quickly so they could go back on a ride

2011-POFQ
2010- ALK
2009-Windsor Hills
2007-ASMu
2005-off site somewhere
My QSDP report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2551446
sk8jdgca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
Marblies
DIS Veteran

We have also found many of the QS portions enormous and often split 2 meals between 3 adults (or 3 between 4 when DH comes)- which gives us the option to try more places, or use the extra credits for breakfast.

Waiting for more!

DH Me DD 20 DD19

2008 A**Cheer, 2008 ASM Girl's trip, 2009 ASM with DH too, 2010 POP Girl's Christmas trip, 2011 POP Just Girls, 2012 AoA Last girl's only trip EVER? (DD22 is getting married and doesn't think she can leave her hubby at home like I do), Feb.2013 POP to SS to AoA Crashing the Disneymoon with the inlaws! Sept. 2013 POP Girl's trip
Marblies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
sk8jdgca
Mouseketeer

Day 5 Typhoon Lagoon

Mara Breakfast again- I got the bounty, my daughter tried the egg sandwich on a croisant and my son got the kids egg platter. I supplimentsed Ds's with my waffle and DD took our potatoes. She felt the sandwich was good but it wasn't enough food for her. We picked up mineral waters for later nd used our refill cups.

Lunch
Typhoon tilly's
Great find here. They have a make your own fruit salad. You get to pick your fruit- melon, grapefruit, pineapple,blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, oranges, grapes. There are alot of choices of salts and sugars to top the fruit. i got a sundae as dessert. DS used a snack credit for nachoes and cheese and DD got a chicken wrap- it was full of chicken breast and goodies -it was big and my dd actaully couldn't finish it-wow!

Dinner
Jikkos-oop
This place is beautiful. I did find that our waiter wasn't as attentive as others-or perhaps he knew we were budget people.
we asked if DD could go off the kids menu and were told no problem. This is great as they have a Grilled Filet of Beef with mashed potatoes, veggies and fruit $13.00
we told the wiater we heard that they had the best macaroni and cheese and DD asked to subsitute mac and cheese for the mashed which was no problem
DS odered the kids mac and cheese
I ordered a Barbecue Chicken Flatbread - with Apple-Jicama slaw, African barbecue sauce, and four cheeses $10

and for appitizer
Taste of Africa - Trio of Dips with Assorted Breads and House-made Naan $9

First a different wait staff came in with warm damp cloths for us to freshen up with. Kids had never seen this and were amazed
Then bread and a sweet butter were brought to the table. There were a few types of bread and the kids quickly gobbled them up.

The taste of africa was great- the kids liked all three kinds but we ran out of bread before we ran out of dips. The kids were great about trying different things.

We noticed that the wall kept changing colour. I had noticed when someone at a different table asked , they were given a lengthy decrpition of alot of the symbols in the restaurant. I knew my kids would find this amazing. We my son asked our waiter-he quickly just said it represented the sky and then quickly left

Our main dishes came the macaoni and cheese was truly the best any of us has ever had. I wished it was on the adult menu too, DD loved the steak and my flatbread was good- sweet, crunchy and a bit spicy.

We would definitely do this again.

2011-POFQ
2010- ALK
2009-Windsor Hills
2007-ASMu
2005-off site somewhere
Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #19
sk8jdgca
Mouseketeer

Day 6 animal Kingdom

Typical breakfast again-DD went back to the bounty platter as the egg croissant wasn't enough the day before
Lunch- we ate quite late around 3 pm
Pizzasafari

Here we made a mistake, I ordered 3 pizza. they come with a side ceasar salad and some kind of chocholate moouse. It was too much DS and I could have shared as we each only ate 1/2 and he finished my salad- so one wasted credit

We filled in the day using snacks, frozen treats, pretzels and the kids ate some more cereal back at the room. I was going to order from room service a hummus platter but I didn't we went to the pool instead- the kids split a club house there- it came with Doritos which I stole and a drink- the club house was cold and the bacon was wierd-really think and kind of line a ham stick. It did hit the spot and the kids did finish it.

2011-POFQ
2010- ALK
2009-Windsor Hills
2007-ASMu
2005-off site somewhere
Old 09-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #20
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

Hanging onto your every word

I am hanging onto your every word. Maybe no one else has been getting the updates either. When I clicked the link there were loads of past messages that I had not read.

Thanks for some suggestions that I might not have thought of.

Slightly Goofy

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
SlightlyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #21
GettinReadyforDisney
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your reviews . . . last time we were in WDW, we upgraded free DDP to DxDP and never ate a single CS meal.

For our next trip, we are considering paying OOP (we won't have free dining, the prices for DDP have increased and our youngest is now 10 and counts as an adult . . . DDP just doesn't seem like a good deal now).

Anyway . . . we are thinking about a combination of CS and TS, so I am enjoying reading about your experiences!!

thx for sharing!!
96 Dolphin, 00 Sheraton Safari, 03 Poly CL, 05 CBR/BWI, 06 Nick, Feb 07 CSR, June 07 Swan, Feb 08 Windsor Hills, June 09 Disney Magic, June 10 POFQ, March 11 BLT/AKV, June 12 SSR, Thanksgiving 2012 AKV, May 13 BLT, June 2014 Aulani!?!

GettinReadyforDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #22
joxer1014
Mouseketeer

When you post your meal at Yorkshire Fish Shop, I would like to know if you were able to use a CS credit for the fish and chips. It has been a long time, 5 or 6 years, but when we wanted to eat there, my wife said that the platter was not on the meal plan. I believe that has changed, but would like to know for sure from someone who was just there and on the meal plan.

Thank you!
joxer1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #23
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

Yes, you may

joxer1014, yes you can use a CS credit at Yorkshire. You get two nice pieces of fish, some big french fries and a package of shortbread cookies and a beverage.

Slightly Goofy

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
SlightlyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #24
Cin
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your reviews on the counter service meals. MY DH and I leave in a week for WDW and are on the QS plan, and I've got those places on my list to dine at. I can't wait to to try so many places there! Thanks so much for the posts they really help in my planning.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post43986114
2013 Pre Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871882
1984 - offsite Kissimmee
1997 - Port Orleans
2010 - All Star Music
2012 - Pop Century/Port Orleans French Quarter
2014 - Pop Century
Prince Charming is staying home and I'm going to Disneyworld!
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #25
sk8jdgca
Mouseketeer

Day 7-last day of QSDP

Thanks for those of you who are following- The best thing about QSDP is all the
snacks-I never had to say no to the kids. They said the best snack credits were
the frozen fruit bars. They tried pineapple and strawberry- they got these alot
(maybe they were kind of healthy). We got a lot of free ice waters too.

WE checked out of AKL today and moved to CBR. I got talked into doing a DVC
tour and since we were staying at AKL- they gave me a $100 gift card-so that
is going to help pay for food the last 2 days.

We went to HS today-not my favourite park but my kids did talk me into doing
rock and Roll rollercoaster (I am a ride wienie) and I loved it-did it a few times!!

We had our last 2 bounty breakfast deal again and left AKL-so sad

The kids shared a frozen pina colado (virgin) from the store by the villains
I tried to go to Min and Bills cause people here said it was good but it was
closed- we were hungry and hot and on the way to Star tours. Someone on
dis talked about a great buffalo sandwich and I thought I found that place
but no such luck. DD decided to get a hamburger again and DS and I split a
hotdog and fries- It was ok but there wasn't a very good topping bar. Howeve
r the drink dispenser had Volt which was a nice change and refreshing.

We left fairly early as we had the tour to go on. They had snacks there and
then we all got a sundae after. -nice afternoon snack

So now we have 3 TC and 3 snacks left for dinner-We did it!!!
Dinner was Wolfgang pucks- DS had the spagetti, and DD and I decided to
order 1 macaroni and 1 bacon wrapped meatloaf and split them. We had creme
brule for dessert.
The best was the Meatloaf- the mac and cheese would have been good however
it wasn't as good Jikkos. Now it was great mac and cheese and if we hadn;t had
JIkko's it would been amazing but it just didn't stack up.

The creme Brule was nice-DD had been in HSM2 on stage during the summer and
had never had Creme brule-so she wanted try it and she really liked the top 1/2
but not the bottom- thats okay more for me.

The meatloaf was very taste and the mash potatoes were excellent. This was our
first time at Wolf gang pucks- It was nice to sit down and have our food come to
us. This was defineitly the best quality counter service food we say and will come
back. I left a tip but noticed that a few tables around us didn't.

We were going to go to goofey's to use up the last snack credits but Downtown
Disney was really crowded so we went back to CBR and I told the kids they could
get anything. I picked up a fruit cocktail, DS picked grapes and DD picked pineapple
-guess they had enough of sweets.

2011-POFQ
2010- ALK
2009-Windsor Hills
2007-ASMu
2005-off site somewhere
Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #26
Marblies
DIS Veteran

Please sir? Can I have some more?
Good job on snagging the gift card (beats fast passes). How did you spend it when not tied to QSDP?

2008 A**Cheer, 2008 ASM Girl's trip, 2009 ASM with DH too, 2010 POP Girl's Christmas trip, 2011 POP Just Girls, 2012 AoA Last girl's only trip EVER? (DD22 is getting married and doesn't think she can leave her hubby at home like I do), Feb.2013 POP to SS to AoA Crashing the Disneymoon with the inlaws! Sept. 2013 POP Girl's trip
Marblies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #27
sk8jdgca
Mouseketeer

Day 8 Epcot-no dining plan

Ok so now we had to eat a bit different- we had Cereal (the little individual boxes that we brought) and some fruit-plus we still has some left over drinks from past breakfasts.

Off to Epcot. The kids like to eat around the worrld. At 11 sharp we were at Canada ready for soup. However Cellier opens at 11:30. I checked to see if I could order soup to go-You still can-however we didn't want to wait until it opened. So since we know that Canadian Cheddar cheese isn't really Canadian since we've never eaten it here-off we went to England- First stop is yorkshire county fish shop for Fish & Chips - 2 strips of fish served with chips $7.99
I used my new gift card to pay. we got 3 ice waters and off to find a seat- All the tables were full but we asked a man and his son if we could sit there. He hesitated a bit and then welcomed us. After I figured his son must have been autisitic or something, however my kids happily accept everyone so they chatted away. Now this place has THE best fries. we topped them with vinegar and ketchup-yum!! the kids each ate one piece of fish and shared the fries with me. They loved the fish!

Next we were off to Boulangerie Patisserie
were we got
Cheese Plate $5.95. 3 nice pieces of cheese and a big baguette (plus 3 ice waters) DS order all in french for us. The bread was fresh-there is no butter out and you need to ask the girl at the till for it. I had to ration the cheese as they both love Brie. We ate the cheese in order from least liked to Brie.

I was going to have a grey goose slushie but I forgot- no problem I'd get one when we came back at night-yes-right
Our snacking continued in USA where we got a funnel cake- what a lovely peice of deep fried fat!! The three of us destroyed it and off we went with white sugar everywhere. By now we were hot but onward we trudged. we made it to Germany and took the Boat back the future world-cause we were going for a pointe shoe fitting. I know strange thing to do but my daughter was starting Pointe ballet when we got back and I didn't have time to drive her 1.5 hours away for a fitting at home. Not that this has anything to do with food so if you want to skip-feel free

So I checked the internet, made appointment and off we went. It was up I4 near millinium mall. We were there for 2 hours. My son got fitted for ballet slippers and tap shoes and then we were introduced to Pointe. So no shoe is the same and each brand fits different based on width and the strength of the dancers arch and the amount of her toe point, The fitting took 1.5 hours but my daughter loved it and my son kept himself busy doing stretches. I ended getting point shoes, a special bag for them, toe spacers, 2 pair of bunheads (to protect the toes in the shoes), a repair kit,2 stetch bands, ballet slipper for DS, and tap shoes all for 228. Now this was a bargain as pointe shoes run around 125 alone up here and DS taps would have been 85 here. Since I spent alot here-we went to the dollar tree next door- We picked up a box of 4 lime flavoured popcicle, some candy and bugles

On the way back we stopped at Sweet tomatoes again- the line up was long-(the entire slad bar) This time I didn't have any coupons so we just got water and the bill was less than with the coupon (around 22 for all three of us). Again the food here was great- their multigrain bread is so great!
So after this the kids were too tired to go back to epcot so we just went back to the resort to swim- guess the grey goose slushie will have to wait for the next trip

2011-POFQ
2010- ALK
2009-Windsor Hills
2007-ASMu
2005-off site somewhere
Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #28
sk8jdgca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Thanks for your reviews on the counter service meals. MY DH and I leave in a week for WDW and are on the QS plan, and I've got those places on my list to dine at. I can't wait to to try so many places there! Thanks so much for the posts they really help in my planning.
One place I didn't try but wished i did was the counter service at the Comtempary resort right beside Chef Mickeys. It looks good too!

2011-POFQ
2010- ALK
2009-Windsor Hills
2007-ASMu
2005-off site somewhere
Old 09-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #29
sk8jdgca
Mouseketeer

Day 9 Leaving today

So this morning was finish up everything breakfast-we finished all those extra drinks from QSDP breakfast, our milk with the cute cereal boxes and the fruit from our last snack credits. Our last day is always kids pick-so off to Animal Kingdom again!! We are only staying until 1 so we are just planning to use our gift card for snacks.
We went to Yak and Yeti counter service and split the pork egg rolls-They hit the spot. They are more like spring rolls instead of the egg rolls we are used to. DS was a bit worried about the "duck sauce" we had to get him to believe us that this is the same plum sauce we get at home.
The kids also got 2 more frozen fruit bars and a cone of honey roasted almonds and 1 of cashews. We all agreed that we enjoyed the cashews better.
We left the park at 1, got a frozen slushy at the gas station on the way to the airport. We settled down for Pizza at the airport. The pizza in the B side food court is fairly good- you get a huge slice and there are alot of different kids to chose from. We got pepperoni (New york style) and thicker crust supreme and meat lovers.

2011-POFQ
2010- ALK
2009-Windsor Hills
2007-ASMu
2005-off site somewhere
Old 09-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #30
sk8jdgca
Mouseketeer

Summary

We would definitely do the QSDP again-it worked well that we were DVC for a part of our vacation and regular for the last weekend-we would never have gotten all of our breakfast drinks done

I liked the amount of snacks availabe on this plan-It was so nice to not say No to the kids. A lot of the counter service offerings were large enough to share, so we would keep with our plan to buy 2 and share-until DS gets a bigger appetite.

We loved Jikko-my kids are still talking about it.

Since we are Canadian I tried to make Canadain Cheddar soup here in Canada last week (I got the recipe from WDW Mom's club)

I agree that I would like to have the option to get a appetizer instead of dessert-however we liked all of our desserts except the carrot cake (which we normally like) the icing was sickly sweet.

You really should plan and look over menus- some of the resorts as they offer a nice change for counter service- and yes-GO TO WOLF GANG PUCKS!

Hope this report will help someone-if you ahve any questions please post and I will try to help

Thanks for reading

2011-POFQ
2010- ALK
2009-Windsor Hills
2007-ASMu
2005-off site somewhere

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: