Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #61
serenita05
Mouseketeer

Yes.... having a hard time finding 69s and 68s coins
serenita05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #62
santadog
DIS Veteran

I am firmly in the pre 1982 pennies are best camp. I had some steel pennies I was thinking about trying, but was hesitant: another board I go to sometimes told me that "there are magnets in the machines that would catch that, and you'd be thrown out of the park if you tried that"

I was wondering, has anyone tried pressing a pre 1964 quarter? I have a few of them that have come to me in change, and wonder how they'd look pressed.
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #63
My Grandpa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by santadog View Post
I am firmly in the pre 1982 pennies are best camp. I had some steel pennies I was thinking about trying, but was hesitant: another board I go to sometimes told me that "there are magnets in the machines that would catch that, and you'd be thrown out of the park if you tried that"

I was wondering, has anyone tried pressing a pre 1964 quarter? I have a few of them that have come to me in change, and wonder how they'd look pressed.
On our last trip we did a few steel pennies and then worked just fine. I did take one silver pre-1965 quarter and did the Sorcerer's Hat at DHS and it came out beautiful!!!

I'll make the offer again (see my previous post on this thread) I've got a few hundred steel pennies and if you want to sent me an email with your address and I'm happy to send you a couple for pressing. Sharing is fun!

PC April 2009
BWI 2005
AKL 2005
WL 1996
YC 1994
My Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #64
grumpythis
Earning My Ears

My wife smashes pennys from the year that she smashes them
fills a book every trip got about a dozen or more books from WDW
plus she smashes anywhere else we go that has machines
grumpythis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #65
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

I've heard that steel pennies do not press as well because steel is much harder than copper, so they sometimes don't stretch all the way. Not sure if this is true or not, but I definitely have noticed that my pure copper pennies stretch extremely well, sometimes even too much!

My Grandpa (the user here on disboards) was kind enough to send me some steel pennies a while back, but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Hopefully soon though!

Here's another link for locations: http://allears.net/btp/pennylist.htm

Generally though, my best piece of advice for finding machines is to keep your eyes open! There are usually machines in EVERY souvenir shop, usually located near the doors. Most of the shops along Main Street USA have them, as well as the shops in Epcot, if you're looking for pennies from the different countries. Also there is generally a penny machine for each major ride, either near the entrance/exit or in the gift shop.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
mdoll4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #66
My Grandpa
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=mdoll4;40764269]I've heard that steel pennies do not press as well because steel is much harder than copper, so they sometimes don't stretch all the way. Not sure if this is true or not, but I definitely have noticed that my pure copper pennies stretch extremely well, sometimes even too much!
QUOTE]

Wow ... mdoll4 is absolutely correct!!! I just took out my WDW pressed penny folder and the steel pennies we pressed 2 years ago (2009) did not stretch as much as the pure copper ones. But rest assured, the impressions from the pressing are crisp and clean.

As mdoll4 said .... I'm happy to send folks on this thread a couple of steel pennies just for the fun of it. Back in the 1950's and 60's my dad kept throwing them in a coffee can so in his memory I'm happy to share. Just send me a private email.

PC April 2009
BWI 2005
AKL 2005
WL 1996
YC 1994
Old 04-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #67
My Grandpa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by santadog View Post
Yup ... did that on our last trip. Had some old silver coins and took a silver quarter (1964 or older) and pressed it at Hollywood Studios to get Yensid (Disney spelled backwards) sorcerer's hat (my alltime favorite WDW icon).

Anyhow ... because silver is so soft, depending on how the machine bites into the coin, you can get an odd spot with an uneven impression. But for me it was worth it ... I realled wanted a silver version of the hat.

"Clad" coins (nickel over copper after 1964) do not get the schmered look that clad pennies (zinc over nickel) do so using recent quarters for pressing gives you an attractive keepsake.

PC April 2009
BWI 2005
AKL 2005
WL 1996
YC 1994
Old 04-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #68
DisneyBill

DIS Veteran

Okay, here's a PP story. We visited the resort at Vero, maybe 10 years ago. Both of their machines were out-of-order. I went to the front desk inquiring about pending repair, to which they really did not know when repair would happen. The machines were never repaired before we left for home. I was able to leave 4 quarters and 2 pennies with the resort staff, and once the machines were repaired, they pressed the pennies and sent the results to us. That is service recovery, AKA Disney Magic.
DisneyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #69
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBill View Post
Okay, here's a PP story. We visited the resort at Vero, maybe 10 years ago. Both of their machines were out-of-order. I went to the front desk inquiring about pending repair, to which they really did not know when repair would happen. The machines were never repaired before we left for home. I was able to leave 4 quarters and 2 pennies with the resort staff, and once the machines were repaired, they pressed the pennies and sent the results to us. That is service recovery, AKA Disney Magic.
That's a wonderful story! I probably would have just pouted and walked away

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
mdoll4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #70
mickeem
Crazy4WDW!!

Do they ever change the machines out? So, is the one at the Polynesian, the same one that was there 5 years ago? Do the designs get changed out?

I love collecting these too, but I often wonder what I already have. Any tips on that?

Thanks!

PolyGirl- Always a PolyGirl!
mickeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #71
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Ok Im a becoming a pressed penny nut too lol. My grand daughter and I just started a book last trip. We only have about 10 so far. We are going to be at Disney in 2 weeks and 6 days . So do we need to get pennies made before 1982 to avoid the zinc showing after it is pressed ?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #72
My Grandpa
Mouseketeer

Correct. So go on eBay and you should be able to buy an uncirculated roll fairly cheap ... like. They'll be shinny and ready to go. If you'd like to send me a private message with your mailing address ... I'm happy to send mail you a couple of free 1943 wartime steel pennies. My dad kept throwing them in a can back in the 1960's and I've got a few hundred of them. I've put this offer out a couple of times earlier in this thread and a few pressed penny collectors have taken up my offer.

Have Fun With Your Granddaughter!!!!

PC April 2009
BWI 2005
AKL 2005
WL 1996
YC 1994
Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #73
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Grandpa View Post
Correct. So go on eBay and you should be able to buy an uncirculated roll fairly cheap ... like. They'll be shinny and ready to go. If you'd like to send me a private message with your mailing address ... I'm happy to send mail you a couple of free 1943 wartime steel pennies. My dad kept throwing them in a can back in the 1960's and I've got a few hundred of them. I've put this offer out a couple of times earlier in this thread and a few pressed penny collectors have taken up my offer.

Have Fun With Your Granddaughter!!!!
I really dont like the idea of giving out my address but I sure will check out ebay thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #74
I_heart_Tinkerbell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeem View Post
Do they ever change the machines out? So, is the one at the Polynesian, the same one that was there 5 years ago? Do the designs get changed out?

I love collecting these too, but I often wonder what I already have. Any tips on that?

Thanks!

There are a whole bunch of new designs that just came out

If you go to pressedcoins.com they have a list you can check out. A lot of them have pics of actual pennies so you could compare with what you have
Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #75
webster76
Mouseketeer

Pressed pennies are the best!

I just love collecting pressed pennies and quarters. At first I pretended they were for the kids but we put them all in one folder and they became mine. My kids are all older so they really don't care at this point. I really appreciate the link for the locations in WDW. Next trip, that will be my mission.

Me Julianne Zach Tim Zoe Nala
Disney trips: WDW 1995-Port Orleans;DisneyLand 2000;WDW 2003-ASMo;WDW 2005-Pop Century;WDW 2007-Pop Century;WDW 2008-ASMu (my 55th birthday celebration!) Sept.2009 - Mom/Daughter trip!-Pop Century;WDW March 2011 Spring Break-AllStarMovies! Last minute trip to Disneyland Oct.2012!
WDW Sept. 2013 - Old Key West birthday trip(60th birthday!). Nov.2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon with my daughter!!!
webster76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: