Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #46
Darkfirewolfe
Poly Fan and Disney Addict

Bat's Day is at Disneyland, not WDW. It's a day for people who are part of the Goth subculture to get together, make new friends, shop, and enjoy some Disney magic.

The website is at http://www.batsday.net and there was a small thread in the Disneyland boards about it here.

ps - Disneyland also has some wonderful pressed pennies. I hope to get back there and get some of the unique ones.

Last edited by Darkfirewolfe; 12-05-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: addition
Darkfirewolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #47
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

My Mom collects them and has several of the special books for them full.

A story about one she got at Disneyworld, she found one there so dug out her money, put it in the slot and was just about to choose which one she wanted when this kid, maybe 6 or 7 years old, stepped up and pushed the button to make it work! Mom, of course, was a little upset and the kid's mother did tell him he was wrong to do that and she gave Mom the money to get another one, but then the mother said something about Mom getting upset about it and that "Disney is for kids anyway!" The kid was definitely old enough to know better, and apparantly the woman thought my Mom and I shouldn't even be there since Disney is only for kids.
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #48
trufflesisbest
Earning My Ears

shining pennies

I recently spent an afternoon polishing old pennies with my dremel (and a teeny dab of metal polish).

Wow. These are gonnna be beautiful pressed.
trufflesisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #49
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trufflesisbest View Post
I recently spent an afternoon polishing old pennies with my dremel (and a teeny dab of metal polish).

Wow. These are gonnna be beautiful pressed.
What kind of head do you use on your dremel?

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
mdoll4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #50
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
And thanks for all the tips. Never realized the age of the pennies made a difference. Also didn't know about the lists at GS. Sorry, new at this ...
Don't feel bad, many collecters even don't know the difference among the different pennies! I didn't know until I actually started getting into it online and joining different forums. Now it's kind of funny, I was at the Atlanta Zoo a couple of days ago but forgot to bring my pressing pennies. I went into the gift store and said, Hi, I need a penny for the penny machine, do you have--and she interrupted, "A shiny one?", and I said no, give me the oldest one you got! And she was pretty confused, but obviously most people come by and want the shiniest one in the drawer.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
mdoll4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #51
Disneyland_emily
I soo need to get that
I *knew* there was a reason I still had faith in people
I can't sleep unless I say goodnight to Drew

I used to collect pennies- Ended up with 9 books full but haven't collected in years since the fiasco of the DL 50th penny set and since it seems most of the machines have been changed I'd have to start over

I still prefer shiny pennies to old ones-

-em
Old 01-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #52
wildelady
Mouseketeer

Had not heard of these before today, not a big thing in the UK.

Can anyone advise me where I would be able to get the pennies from, when I reach Orlando, should I go to a bank and change some dollars up?

Also do they sell the display books in Disney shops

My photobucket site
wildelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #53
My Grandpa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildelady View Post
Had not heard of these before today, not a big thing in the UK.

Can anyone advise me where I would be able to get the pennies from, when I reach Orlando, should I go to a bank and change some dollars up?

Also do they sell the display books in Disney shops

Hello wildelady ...

You can get the display books at almost any shop in WDW ... they are nice and small about 5" x 4" when folded shut. The first 3 pages hold 12 pennies each and the fourth page holds 6 quarters.

I wouldn't spend the extra time going to a bank to pick up a shiny roll of new pennies. Often in change you will get enough bright ones to satisfy your penny pressing needs. And you can always ask at any Disney shop to have the clerk change a dime or quarter for the brightest pennies in their change drawer ... they know exactly why and are always happy to help.

If you really want to go crazy ... and use only pre-1982 US pennies (before the metal compostion was changed to mostly zinc which creates an odd look when pressed) you can go on eBay and buy an uncirculated roll. Of course the extra postage to the UK will be dear ... but that just becomes part of the legend you get to tell.

And finally, if you (or any other Pressed Penny Folks on this thread) wants to send me an email with your mailing address ... I am happy to mail you a couple of 1943 wartime steel pennies for the fun of it. They add a different twist to the pressing. My dad kept throwing those in a can back in the 1960s and I have several hundred. Happy to share them with other Disney Pressed Penny Fanatics!!!

PC April 2009
BWI 2005
AKL 2005
WL 1996
YC 1994
My Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #54
Mom2aJessieGirl
DIS Veteran

Penny Press List?

My DD5 fell in love with the penny press machines at DLR last August. She came home with almost a whole book full! She loves her press collection so much...she's even taken it to school for show and tell!

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the press locations around the WDW complex? I'd love to be able to point these out to her on our trip next month.
WDW (Dolphin/FW) February 2014; WDW (POP) March 2013 (F&G);WDW (ASsp) January 2013;WDW (POFQ/FW) May 2012 (SWW); WDW (FW) February 2012; WDW (POFQ) November-December 2011 (MVMCP); WDW (POFQ/FW) February 2011; DLR (GCH) August 2010; WDW (WL) Spring 2002; WDW (WL) August 1997; WDW (WL) July 1994; DLR (DLH) Mid 90's; WDW July-August 1991; WDW March 1989; And a couple more for good measure!
Mom2aJessieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 AM   #55
puffkins
Mouseketeer

I'm not too serious about them but I do have about 20 pennies and 4 quarter pressed coins. I pick up 1-2 each trip to the Mouse.

puffkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #56
vleeth
I heart Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2aJessieGirl View Post
My DD5 fell in love with the penny press machines at DLR last August. She came home with almost a whole book full! She loves her press collection so much...she's even taken it to school for show and tell!

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the press locations around the WDW complex? I'd love to be able to point these out to her on our trip next month.
http://www.presscoins.com/
vleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #57
DisneyFairytale
DIS Veteran

That is such a great idea! is there a way to find out where they are all located in the parks? the only I've seen was the one they had at the end of splash mountain.
DisneyFairytale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #58
Hallowishes
DIS Veteran

i love the pressed pennies! i got three on my past trip and i cant wait to get more next trip!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #59
GAGirlInVA
DIS Veteran

My husband and I cannot WAIT to start our Disney pressed penny collection.

I have no idea what happened to the ones I did as a kid!

Dec 2010: ASMu April 2011: POP! Oct 2011: ASMo April 2014: Caribbean Beach resort!

Next trip? Maybe DisneyLAND for Dec '14 or March '15
GAGirlInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #60
My Grandpa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFairytale View Post
That is such a great idea! is there a way to find out where they are all located in the parks? the only I've seen was the one they had at the end of splash mountain.
My (adult) DD printed out the lists for each park at WDW from:
www.presscoins.com It was really helpful to go after ones I want for my Disney collection .... she and the grandson just grab everyone they can.

PC April 2009
BWI 2005
AKL 2005
WL 1996
YC 1994
My Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: