Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #31
disneygal922
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoll4 View Post
Hmm, do they even sell M&M minis anymore? If so I'll have to be on the lookout! They're pretty tasty, too. :D
That's what I thought. I looked all over for them and had given up on my search... the next week I found them at the CVS near my work.

me (30) DH(30) DD(infant) minnie(3.5) fiona (3ish)
disneygal922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #32
AJA55

Always has some spare pixie dust to offer a friend!
Need input

Penny dork

Count me in. And on any vacation..New Orleans...just got back form Leavenworth, WA and found one machine! I look at pennies that I get all the time for teh 1982 and under date. And I use the film canisters. I have a few in back storage.
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #33
My Grandpa
Mouseketeer

Best souvenier for the money!!! I also buy a roll of pre-82's on eBay ... not too costly. But try this .... get some 1943 steel pennies (you can do those on eBay cheaply). The difference between the copper and the silver finish is awesome. Have Fun!!!!

PC April 2009
BWI 2005
AKL 2005
WL 1996
YC 1994
My Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #34
Brandi1leigh
Mouseketeer

I just to have share this here, because I think you guys are the only ones who will appreciate it. When my grandmother passed away, we were cleaning out her house and ran across two pressed pennies tucked away in a drawer. Everyone in the family knows I collect pennies from anywhere I go, so they were immediately given to me. When I looked at them closely, they were from the 1964-1965 World's Fair. Two of my prized possessions! I keep them with my Disney pennies because the two are so closely tied. No one else in the family understood why I was so excited by the find. They always make me smile when I think of my grandmother at the World's Fair.
Brandi1leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #35
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Grandpa View Post
Best souvenier for the money!!! I also buy a roll of pre-82's on eBay ... not too costly. But try this .... get some 1943 steel pennies (you can do those on eBay cheaply). The difference between the copper and the silver finish is awesome. Have Fun!!!!
Ooh, steel pennies do sounds exciting! I just looked some up. The pressed ones look just like pressed dimes! I'll have to look into buying some.

Oh, and I found this photo that some may find interesting. It's of a wheat penny (pre 1982), a steel penny, and a modern, zinc-based penny.

(Credit for photo to Dartmouth.edu)

But speaking of which, does this make me the cheapest person alive? Whenever I see pressed quarter machines, I pass them by because I think it's too expensive.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
mdoll4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #36
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi1leigh View Post
I just to have share this here, because I think you guys are the only ones who will appreciate it. When my grandmother passed away, we were cleaning out her house and ran across two pressed pennies tucked away in a drawer. Everyone in the family knows I collect pennies from anywhere I go, so they were immediately given to me. When I looked at them closely, they were from the 1964-1965 World's Fair. Two of my prized possessions! I keep them with my Disney pennies because the two are so closely tied. No one else in the family understood why I was so excited by the find. They always make me smile when I think of my grandmother at the World's Fair.
Wow, that is really cool! Not only because the pennies are probably really awesome, but because now you have that special memory. I'm happy for you!

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious…
-Walt Disney
Old 10-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #37
curlz2tite
Mouseketeer

I always throw my pennies in a jug for pressing , Sorted thru them for the 82 & older. I cleaned mine in a ziplock bag & ketchup , worked like a charm!

I then took on the chore of emptying out my M&M mini containers ( found at walmart)

The oval mento gum containers work perfect to store your pressed pennies in.
I have 5 filled books & will be doing universal too this trip, so that is where most of my pennies will be pressed this trip. I can't keep track of which ones i have from Disney.
3 trips during the 1990's with DH & DD, ,
2005 at ASMO
2006 at POP,

2007 20th wedding anniversary at POP

Dec 2-11, 2008 trip at POP

Halloween Oct 24-Nov2 2010 Oct24 -Nov 4 2011
curlz2tite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #38
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know how to get pennies to stay shiny? I put mine in vinegar and salt and it immediately removes the oxidation, but they still have a matte finish.

Is there an easy way to get them shiny and to stay that way? I know they make some sort of special wax polish, but I was wondering if anyone had a home fix. I bought some pressed pennies on eBay, and they are so fantastic looking compared to the ones I pressed myself.

Ideas? Or even if there's a cheap metal polish I can buy at Home Depot that would work, I'd be up for it!

-Walt Disney
Old 10-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #39
hollisterluva92
DIS Veteran

I've also found that if you buy a mentos tube, it's perfect for putting pressed pennies in it. I'll definitely have to buy some of those pennies on ebay!!!

2013-DCP Spring--Entertainment Costuming/Character Performer
2010-Port Orleans Riverside (Mother/Daughter Graduation Trip) (Age 17)
2008-Saratoga Springs (Grandparents & Grandkids) (Age 15)
2007-All Star Music (High School Band Trip) (Age 14)
2004-Animal Kingdom Lodge (Age 11)
1998-Grand Floridian (Age 6 and Brother 6 months)
1997-Grand Floridian (Age 5)
1996-Grand Floridian (Age 4)
1995-Grand Floridian (Age 3)
hollisterluva92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #40
jeffmilw
Mouseketeer

Pressed pennies

I never knew people collected these things!! Although, people collect the strangest things... so, pressed pennies doesn't seem too far out in left field.

Every once in a while I see one of the machines... Now, I'll think of you guys and remember that someone is collecting these things!

Keep on pressing!!
jeffmilw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #41
Brandi1leigh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmilw View Post
I never knew people collected these things!! Although, people collect the strangest things... so, pressed pennies doesn't seem too far out in left field.

Every once in a while I see one of the machines... Now, I'll think of you guys and remember that someone is collecting these things!

Keep on pressing!!
I have pennies from all over the US. At last count I had around 350. It's the only souvenir I actively search for on any trip.
Brandi1leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #42
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi1leigh View Post
I have pennies from all over the US. At last count I had around 350. It's the only souvenir I actively search for on any trip.
Wow, impressive collection! I just counted mine... about 175. Feel like it should be more by now though! I just don't get out too often I suppose.

-Walt Disney
Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #43
jusero
DIS Veteran

Another container that is perfect for carrying your quarters/pennies is glucose tablet containers. If you know someone who is diabetic, they may have an empty one you can have. If not, they are pretty inexpensive and you can buy them at any pharmacy. They are pretty much just sugar wafers, no medications, so don't worry about dumping them out.

I looked everywhere for the mini M&Ms for our last trip, but could not find them. Then I was cleaning out my purse and ran across my own glucose tabs. Voila! Perfect fit!

And thanks for all the tips. Never realized the age of the pennies made a difference. Also didn't know about the lists at GS. Sorry, new at this ...

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #44
Darkfirewolfe
Poly Fan and Disney Addict

Subscribing! I'm a pressed penny fan. I started collecting them to put them in my scrapbooks for my trips...but then I ended up with too many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoll4 View Post
But speaking of which, does this make me the cheapest person alive? Whenever I see pressed quarter machines, I pass them by because I think it's too expensive.
I'm the same way! It has to be really special for me to do the $1.25 Quarter presses. That - and I need those quarters for the penny presses!
Darkfirewolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #45
My Grandpa
Mouseketeer

Darkfirewolf ... what is Bat's Day at WDW???

Sorry this is not directly pressed penny related ... but I am a frequent penny presser!

PC April 2009
BWI 2005
AKL 2005
WL 1996
YC 1994
My Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: