Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

Any other pressed penny collectors out there?

I've been collecting pressed coins for several years now, but I have to say, I love my Disney collection the most. Partly because I love Disney, and partly because there's a machine around every corner in the parks! Every time I go, I bring a handful of quarters and pre-1982 pennies.

Anyone else share the joy of cranking these wonderful 51 cent souvenirs?

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
mdoll4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
PirateMel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoll4 View Post
I've been collecting pressed coins for several years now, but I have to say, I love my Disney collection the most. Partly because I love Disney, and partly because there's a machine around every corner in the parks! Every time I go, I bring a handful of quarters and pre-1982 pennies.

Anyone else share the joy of cranking these wonderful 51 cent souvenirs?
OMG yes - so much fun!
I have about a dozen Disney books filled, but I usually get the new shinney pennies
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

I used to use the shiniest pennies I could find, and I remember trying desperately to clean off that silver-y stuff that was on them, not knowing for the longest time that it was actually in the composition of the penny!

(Post-1982 zinc based penny vs. Pre-1982 full copper penny - Quite a difference)

Now before trips I dunk my old pennies in a mixture of vinegar and salt, and it shines them right up! Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I have a little box next to my desk that I keep my old pennies in when I find them. They're kind of hard to come by nowadays, but I think they look so much better when they're rolled.

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious…
-Walt Disney
Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
PirateMel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I used to use the shiniest pennies I could find, and I remember trying desperately to clean off that silver-y stuff that was on them, not knowing for the longest time that it was actually in the composition of the penny!

(Post-1982 zinc based penny vs. Pre-1982 full copper penny - Quite a difference)

Now before trips I dunk my old pennies in a mixture of vinegar and salt, and it shines them right up! Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I have a little box next to my desk that I keep my old pennies in when I find them. They're kind of hard to come by nowadays, but I think they look so much better when they're rolled.
Hmmm - will have to go through my banks for my next smoohing
TY
Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
LisaCat
Counting too many days till my next trip to Disney!

Yep! As a matter of fact, I just finished printing out the checklists for WDW for my trip at the end of October. Have plenty of <1982 pennies and am ready to roll! The weekend before Thanksgiving, I may get down to Disneyland and get to update that collection. I have all that were current there as of my last visit 2 years ago and then I had a friend pick a few new ones up for me last year.

LisaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
LisaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateMel View Post
Hmmm - will have to go through my banks for my next smoohing
TY
I buy rolls of pre 1982 pennies on ebay. Sometimes you can get a decent deal on them. I have enough to last me a loooooong time currently. LOL!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
jwo1976
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I use CLR to polish ours. It works great and fast to!
jwo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCat View Post
I buy rolls of pre 1982 pennies on ebay. Sometimes you can get a decent deal on them. I have enough to last me a loooooong time currently. LOL!
That's a great idea! I'll have to look into it. :D

-Walt Disney
Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
Greenepona
Stitch's Cuttlefish

I used to collect Pressed Pennies with my ex husband… I don’t know what to do with the books I have and the extra pennies. We have 2 books full. One even has pressed quarters! I have about 24 Pre 1982 pennies also we had saved… Any ideas? Does anyone want them?
09/11 FW*10/10 FW*11/09 Off site*03/08 Off site*09/07 ASMU*05/06 DTD only*02/05 ASM*01/04 Off Site ('rents house in FL)*09/02 Off Site (time share)*08/98 FW*08/96 FW*08/94 FW*08/92 FW*08/90 FW*08/88 FW*08/86 FW

Me: DF:
Greenepona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
LisaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenepona View Post
I used to collect Pressed Pennies with my ex husband… I don’t know what to do with the books I have and the extra pennies. We have 2 books full. One even has pressed quarters! I have about 24 Pre 1982 pennies also we had saved… Any ideas? Does anyone want them?
You can try listing the squished pennies on ebay. Unless the ones you haven't pressed are uncirculated, you may as well just put them back into your change jar!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

My son got into it on our last trip. I had never paid attention to them and had no idea there were so many. We meet some collectors who told us to pick up the official list at each park. We had a blast, and I know when DH and I go alone this Oct., my son will give me a list and I'll have to get a few more if I see some other neat ones. Silly ?, but what makes the 1982 pennies better?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
littletommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCat View Post
Yep! As a matter of fact, I just finished printing out the checklists for WDW for my trip at the end of October. Have plenty of <1982 pennies and am ready to roll! The weekend before Thanksgiving, I may get down to Disneyland and get to update that collection. I have all that were current there as of my last visit 2 years ago and then I had a friend pick a few new ones up for me last year.

Just got back smashed so many pennies...i got my 4 year old hooked...its awesome.....you can go to GS at any park and they will give you the list of locations where all the machines are...pennies quarters and the special dime machine!!!!!!
littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenepona View Post
...I do! I'd be willing to do some sort of online auction, if you're actually interested in getting rid of them.

-Walt Disney
Old 09-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
mdoll4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanboys View Post
My son got into it on our last trip. I had never paid attention to them and had no idea there were so many. We meet some collectors who told us to pick up the official list at each park. We had a blast, and I know when DH and I go alone this Oct., my son will give me a list and I'll have to get a few more if I see some other neat ones. Silly ?, but what makes the 1982 pennies better?
Pennies minted before 1982 well full copper pennies. After 1982 they started putting zinc in the middle (cheaper to produce), so when you roll them, the zinc shows through and it can look pretty bad.

-Walt Disney
Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #15
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

Good to know. I guess I'll be on the hunt for some older pennies to bring with in October.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: