Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #31
mrbghd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecoasters View Post
A little harsh don't you think?
Nope! If money is so tight OR they are too cheap to pay for parking, a trip to WDW is probably the last thing they should be worried about.

mrbghd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:21 AM   #32
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Parking fees at hotels are getting out of hand. I really believe that Disney is bound to start charging too at some point.
IF they start charging for parking at WDW resorts, it wont be just because it's a cash cow, it will be to try to deter people that take advantage of free parking at certain resorts, and cause paying resort guests to have a hard time finding a place to park. Hopefully they would just charge for visitors and not charge actual guests staying at the resort during that time.

Have read too many posts about boardwalk guests that have had issues finding a parking spot at a resort they are staying at and you see way too many cars without the parking pass in the window.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #33
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

I'm all about being creative to save some cash, so here's what I'd do:

(This assumes you have the vehicle because you are driving do Disney, but will NOT need it while at Disney, and will use Disney transportation.)

Drive to the Dolphin, drop off the fam and the luggage.

Drive back to MCO.

Park in this lot, at $30 for the week, take their shuttle to the airport. (Or any other lot which might suit your fancy.)

Take DME back to the resort.

Stay at resort for week.

On the way out, tell DME a flight time two hours later than when you want to pick the vehicle up -- so if you want to get the car at 9, tell them 11AM flight, they'll pick you up at 8.

Drive back to the Dolphin, get luggage and family.

No risk, no immorality, and you save a bunch of cash.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #34
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
IF they start charging for parking at WDW resorts, it wont be just because it's a cash cow, it will be to try to deter people that take advantage of free parking at certain resorts, and cause paying resort guests to have a hard time finding a place to park. Hopefully they would just charge for visitors and not charge actual guests staying at the resort during that time.

Have read too many posts about boardwalk guests that have had issues finding a parking spot at a resort they are staying at and you see way too many cars without the parking pass in the window.
The problem is that Disney wants people to come to the Boardwalk and spend money. They might be less inclined to do so if they had to pay for parking.

As for actual guests, Disney would probably just roll extra fees into the cost of the room.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #35
JerseyJanice
RIP, Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
It won't work. In order to park for free at the parks, you need to have a parking pass from the resort. If you don't tell the resort you have a car, you don't get a parking pass. Once you tell them you have a car to get the parking pass, you'll be charged for parking.

Even if it did, it's too much work for whatever the daily charge is at the Dolphin. Just pay it.
Actually, this last trip, we wouldn't have had to ask for a parking pass if we needed one. One was already enclosed in our check-in package. I agree with you though that OP needs to suck the parking fee up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post

(This assumes you have the vehicle because you are driving do Disney, but will NOT need it while at Disney, and will use Disney transportation.)

Drive back to MCO.

Park in this lot, at $30 for the week, take their shuttle to the airport. (Or any other lot which might suit your fancy.)

Stay at resort for week.

On the way out, tell DME a flight time two hours later than when you want to pick the vehicle up -- so if you want to get the car at 9, tell them 11AM flight, they'll pick you up at 8.

This could be a plan except for one hitch--DME is NOT included for the Swan or Dolphin. You can't get on it without a voucher.
6/02 Wilderness Lodge
2/08 PO Riverside/Dolphin
8/08, 8/09, 8/10 Pop Century
10/10 All-Stars Music (FWF)
9/11 Coronado Springs Resort (FWF)
6/12 Wilderness Lodge (With Deluxe Dining!)
JerseyJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #36
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

Ah, I didn't realize Swan/Dolphin had no DME! Well, I rescind that plan, then. (Although a week's parking plus Mears might still be cheaper... but not enough cheaper to justify the time spent.)
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #37
chartle
DIS Veteran

OK I have the definitive solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZL3l8iCA4k#at=46

Go to 46 seconds, (tried to do it automatically but its not working).
Old 09-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #38
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post

Yep...that would work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
The problem is that Disney wants people to come to the Boardwalk and spend money. They might be less inclined to do so if they had to pay for parking.

As for actual guests, Disney would probably just roll extra fees into the cost of the room.
Not all that many people head to BW for the entertainment. The entertainment there just isn't all that wonderful. If those people, not staying at BW/BWV, want to head over there and park their car, then they can get a parking stub that can be validated....and that is good for x amount of hours. No one hangs around the boardwalk for hours on end...even to eat. So, a three hour pass would be fine. Then, either it gets validated at a restaurant or shop, or the guest pays to park there. Or, if that is unacceptable, all non-BW guests can park down the way a bit, behind the Hess Station.
It gets tiring to pay the rates at BW and not be able to find a parking spot. There's a very good reason it's closed off, almost completely, during FandW weekends.

But in answer to the OP, no, you won't be able to leave your car overnight, more than once, in a park. Either decide you're going to have to pay to park at the S/D, or stay elsewhere. I suppose you could park behind the Hess Station and nobody would mind. Just don't take spaces away from paying resort guests.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #39
DonaldTDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
OK I have the definitive solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZL3l8iCA4k#at=46

Go to 46 seconds, (tried to do it automatically but its not working).
Whould you really post HB stuff on a Disney board?
It is working, but I had to watch the whole thing, then got hooked and ended up watching Batman on UTube. BTW I have a tshirt from King's Island with the theme song on it. Only Elrod and his writers foresaw watching reruns of The Flintstones on his cel phone.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #40
Hugpug
NUTS FOR DISNEY DREAMS

If you don't like the idea of the parking charge stay somewhere else then you don't need to worry. They also charge a resort daily fee I believe of 10.00 a day for your stay. As far as I'm concern this is one reaso why I don't even consider these 2 places to stay too many extra charges outside of room rate.

Next Trip When and If a Winful Happens cool1:
Have sayed at FW,POLY,CR,CB,ASM,POP,WL,POR,POFQ,Grovesor,Offsite over the years.
Hugpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #41
mrbghd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post

Drive back to MCO.

Stay at resort for week.

Wow! That is a whole lot of effort to save some money. Isn't your time worth more than that. I know mine sure is.

mrbghd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epcot, free, parking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: