Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
ClamshellBeach
Earning My Ears

Free Parking

We are staying at the Dolphin soon and understand that we get free parking at the parks but have to pay at the Hotel. So, the logical question is can you leave your car overnight at one of the parks for Free and avoid paying for parking at the Dolphin?

I have searched this topic and some say "tell the guards and you'll be OK", others say "you'll get towed - you're a security concern", and still others say "you'll be fine". Are there any experts out there??

Is one park lot OK while others are not OK?

Thanks
ClamshellBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
dolphindan1
What is a Tag?
dang no TAG

huh...really...confused
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I am no where near an expert, but I really doubt that you would allowed to leave your car in a park lot overnight. And why bother having a car if you need to take Disney transportation to where the car is parked?
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
baby1disney
DIS Veteran

I don't know anything about this...or should I say..I haven't heard of this. My in-laws are DVC members and for every vehicle in our fleet..which is usually two or three...we get a paper that we place in our windshield. When the guard at the resort or the CM at the gates of the parks sees it..they just wave us thru. I would call S&D and ask them bout the parking.
OKWw/DF and DS and inlaws--October 2007
AKV w/DH, DS and inlaws--March 2009
SSR w/Inlaws--October 2010
baby1disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
jpolak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamshellBeach View Post
We are staying at the Dolphin soon and understand that we get free parking at the parks but have to pay at the Hotel. So, the logical question is can you leave your car overnight at one of the parks for Free and avoid paying for parking at the Dolphin?

I have searched this topic and some say "tell the guards and you'll be OK", others say "you'll get towed - you're a security concern", and still others say "you'll be fine". Are there any experts out there??

Is one park lot OK while others are not OK?

Thanks
The only fee for parking at a resort that I am aware of is the daily fee for valet parking. Self parking at WDW resorts is free.
7/77-Fort Wilderness Campground, 10/96-All Star Sports, 6/98-Dixie Landings, 6/99-All Star Movies, 8/01-Port Orleans FQ, 4/04-Pop Century, 10/05-Beach Club Villas, 8/06-Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, 2/07- Saratoga Springs, 9/07- Boardwalk Villas, 2/09 Old Key West, 12/09 Boardwalk Villas,8/11 Bay Lake Tower,8/12 Bay Lake Tower,8/13 Bay Lake Tower
MeDWDDDS DD
jpolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
ElementCamper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolak View Post
The only fee for parking at a resort that I am aware of is the daily fee for valet parking. Self parking at WDW resorts is free.
The Dolphin and Swan are not Disney run resorts. There is a fee for parking at these two hotels.
ElementCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But the Swalphin is starting to charge. And its expensive.

But I wouldn't park overnight at the parks. I suspect that it is a security concern and you will get towed.

We just got back and it seemed like Disney was taking overall security much more seriously this year than in the past. So what people were able to get away with a year ago - or even this Spring - may have changed.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Swan and Dolphin you have to pay to park. I went in 2 weeks ago and it was 12 or 14 I think.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
chartle
DIS Veteran

To get free parking at the parks you have to get a parking pass from your resort.

To not pay for parking at the Dolphin you would have to tell them at check-in that you don't have a car. If you don't have a car how are going to the pass.

I don't see a way around this. So its not a question of overnight parking at a park its a question of how to get a pass from the hotel without paying for it.

ETA: One other thing. This was brought up in another thread that dealt with "parking outside the box". If you get into a park lot and leave it overnight, are you going to be able to sleep at night wondering if your car was still going to be where you left it the night before.

Last edited by chartle; 09-04-2010 at 09:40 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at the Dolphin and I have a handicap tag on my car. The valet parking at the Dolphin was reduced from the overnight charge ($16) to $9/day.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
Suellen
DIS Veteran

We HAVE left our car overnight at MK and it was there the next morning. We left it because there was a bus ready to leave and the monorail lines and boat lines looked to be about an hour long wait.

That being said... I was certainly worried after we did it that it would get towed.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Parking fees at hotels are getting out of hand. I really believe that Disney is bound to start charging too at some point.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
wdwfan1
DIS Veteran

When we stayed at the Dolphin we had to pay to park. There were gates at all entrances to the parking lot and you had to insert your card to lift the gate. I dont know how you could park in the lot without paying.

wdwfan1

I have been boo'd by wisbucky!
wdwfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan1 View Post
When we stayed at the Dolphin we had to pay to park. There were gates at all entrances to the parking lot and you had to insert your card to lift the gate. I dont know how you could park in the lot without paying.
If you reread the OP they want to park at a park parking lot full-time to avoid the fee at the Dolphin.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamshellBeach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Parking fees at hotels are getting out of hand. I really believe that Disney is bound to start charging too at some point.
I think there is some mental trickery involved here. One thing you could do is accept your Dolphin room rate as costing $16 more than posted rate. Then you wouldn't get hung up on the parking fee. It's still much cheaper than YC, BC and BW next door with their "free parking."

I believe Disney doesn't charge separately, because it is a selling point. Considering that they own the property, not lease it like the Dolphin, it is cheaper for them. Also, their price point, which is higher than other local hotels, probably already has the parking cost "built-in" to the room rate.

Tags
epcot, free, parking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: