Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #16
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Your dining plans look good - I LOVE T-Rex and can't wait to eat there this trip!
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR*
TyRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #17
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Limeade View Post
Yeah, we have a dog. He's a bum and wouldn't help with the rice. He did supervise my efforts though. The punk. I am glad you are a character diner too. My motivation was that I figured that the park lines could/would be obscene the week after Christmas. These meals guarantee some character interaction, that way if we never stand in line for one in the parks the kids (and my mom) won't be disappointed. But, I've also seen others state that they won't do more than one character meal per trip too, so I figured maybe I was out of the norm for having 3. Glad I am not the only one!

I LOVED The Plaza! We got a window seat and got to watch a parade go by. It was pretty amazing.
Sounds like you need a new dog. I definitely love the character meals for the relaxation as well as not having to stand in line. I only have two kids meals to pay for though. The only downside is, my kids can be picky eaters sometimes, so I don't do any of the fancier restaurants at Disney. Hopefully we can do them as they get older though.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Daddy_of_Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #18
mom0299
DIS Veteran

I love your planning books. I usually make a spreadsheet and then individual cards for each day. I think I may have to copy your idea if that's alright.

Your ADRs look great. We've eaten at most of those places. We ate at Tony's on our first trip in '04 and liked it. We've been to Crystal Palace twice. I love the Pooh characters. Hoop Dee Doo is a great show and you'll have a great time! We didn't see it at Christmas and I don't know if they do anything different then. Liberty Tree Tavern is a very good, family style place. DH and I ate at Marakesh on our honeymoon YEARS ago! He has been to Morrocco so that was neat. I've read the mixed reviews of Hollywood and Vine, but we like it. I thought there was a good variety of food and we are going back a second time this trip for the Fantasmic Package. We're going to 'Ohana for the third time (all dinners). We've never been for breakfast, but we love the restaurant.

Now that my kids are older we don't do as many character meals, but on our first trip we did one or two every day. That was before the Dining Plan and they had something called Magical Wishes so we had two TS meals a day. We don't have any character meals this next trip, but my kids are 11 and 13 now so we don't really need to.

I'm loving your PTR and think I might even do one myself.

Disneymoon @ Dixie Landings - 1993 Family Trip @ CR - 2004 Family Trip @ CSR - 2006 Family Christmas Trip @ All Star Sports - 2006 New Year Grand Gathering @ Pop - 2007/2008 Family Christmas Trip @ CBR - 2010 Family Trip @ POR - 2013
mom0299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #19
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRy View Post
Your dining plans look good - I LOVE T-Rex and can't wait to eat there this trip!
Thanks! It took me AGES to make the picks. I was over in SleepingBooty's September report and was a little jealous that her family is a little part of the planning. On the other hand, my family just said "Do whatever." It's good and bad. I just worry about someone being disappointed because they really wanted to do something, bt didn't say anything, KWIM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
Sounds like you need a new dog. I definitely love the character meals for the relaxation as well as not having to stand in line. I only have two kids meals to pay for though. The only downside is, my kids can be picky eaters sometimes, so I don't do any of the fancier restaurants at Disney. Hopefully we can do them as they get older though.
He's a big, fat doberman. Lazy and will eat just about anything. I think the lazy took over. He didn't want to have to work for the rice that was spread all over the floor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0299 View Post
I love your planning books. I usually make a spreadsheet and then individual cards for each day. I think I may have to copy your idea if that's alright.
Oh, please do! I had a great time making them, but I enjoy stuff like that and it gave me an excuse to get familiar with the park layouts ahead of time. It'll be easier because I have at least a general idea of where everything is.

Quote:
Your ADRs look great. We've eaten at most of those places. We ate at Tony's on our first trip in '04 and liked it. We've been to Crystal Palace twice. I love the Pooh characters. Hoop Dee Doo is a great show and you'll have a great time! We didn't see it at Christmas and I don't know if they do anything different then. Liberty Tree Tavern is a very good, family style place. DH and I ate at Marakesh on our honeymoon YEARS ago! He has been to Morrocco so that was neat. I've read the mixed reviews of Hollywood and Vine, but we like it. I thought there was a good variety of food and we are going back a second time this trip for the Fantasmic Package. We're going to 'Ohana for the third time (all dinners). We've never been for breakfast, but we love the restaurant.

Now that my kids are older we don't do as many character meals, but on our first trip we did one or two every day. That was before the Dining Plan and they had something called Magical Wishes so we had two TS meals a day. We don't have any character meals this next trip, but my kids are 11 and 13 now so we don't really need to.

I'm loving your PTR and think I might even do one myself.
So glad to hear that you enjoyed the restaurants I have picked. I always worry. I know I shouldn't as most Disney restaurants seem to e great, but still!

January 27 - February 2, 2010
December 25, 2010 - January 1, 2011

Going back in 2015!
Cherry Limeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #20
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

I'm in!

Where are you staying?

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Nov 2014 CBR
Tinkermom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #21
DisneyCP08
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. ~W. Disney

Hey, just stopping by from my pr report I think it so cool that we will be there at the same time in all the madness. I love your idea of making books with photo albums. We also decided on not using the dining plan so everything for us is oop too.Restaurant Marrakesh would be pretty neat for the package, can't wait to here what you think about. For our package DB and I chose Biergarten, and it is our main present for my family.
Graduation Trip Port Orleans 2006, DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM Spring '08, 1st Disney Cruise- Wonder March 2009, 21st Bday at Disney Saratoga Springs June2009 , Disney College Program Reunion All Star Movies May 2010, CHRISTMAS AT DISNEY Polynesian Resort December 2010 , Spring Break at Disney March '11 at Port Orleans, College Graduation & site visit All Star Sports Aug 2011, Thanksgiving and Wedding Planning Session November 2012, 4th of July 2013,

DisneyCP08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #22
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCP08 View Post
Hey, just stopping by from my pr report I think it so cool that we will be there at the same time in all the madness. I love your idea of making books with photo albums. We also decided on not using the dining plan so everything for us is oop too.Restaurant Marrakesh would be pretty neat for the package, can't wait to here what you think about. For our package DB and I chose Biergarten, and it is our main present for my family.
Biergarten was my back-up choice! I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it!

Going back in 2015!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #23
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
I'm in!

Where are you staying?

Funny you should ask... that's my next update!

Going back in 2015!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #24
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Looking forward to the next update to find out where you will be.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #25
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

My Secret Shame?

Okay, so when I was originally planning this trip I spent HOURS (I know you all identify) poring over the different resorts and requirements and buses and monorails and, and, and.

Being a family of 5 presents special challenges in where you can stay, and while I don't really remember where I was thinking we would stay, I didn't get to pore over the wealth of information for very long.

One night last winter we were sitting down to dinner and I brought up the subject of housing in Disney and I launched into a very detailed report of what I was thinking, costs, benefits, and just as I was getting to the point where I was going to start talking reservations Party Boy breaks in.

"Do we have to stay in a Disney hotel?"

"Well, no, but there's all these bene.."

"Good. I have a friend with a vacation house 10 minutes from the parks and he said we could use that."

"But have you looked at the cost? I mean..."

"Free."

"Oh."

Don't get me wrong. It's a great deal! And I know this friend. They do everything first class! So, I'm not worried about the accomodations or anything like that. It's just that I had spent all. that. time. And I had it all built up in my head - charging things to the room key (one bill, yay!), having purchases delivered to the room (yay! no toting bulky souvenirs!), Magical Express for the luggage (no dealing with heavy suitcases and 3 excited kids yay!), and well... you all know all of the benefits.

When it comes right down to it, you just can't beat free.

Anyway, with that decided I was left to work out logistics. I was really glad by this point that we had stayed off-site in January for the whirl-wind trip.

Travel back with me to the last week of January 2010.

We are staying at the Marriott World Center, which is 10-15 minutes from the parks. I had prepped everyone about the need to get up early and make rope drop, etc. Our first park would be Magic Kingdom.

We went to bed that night (after dining at Planet Hollywood in DTD) and I had high hopes or seeing the RD show.

Next morning the alarm goes off and everyone leaps out of bed. The kids and I were ready in record time. Party Boy is moving really slow. And then he sits down to check his email. I am watching the clock and practically dancing around the room trying to get the man moving. I mean, we have a 5-mile walk just to get to the parking garage!

Finally we get going. I was already not holding out hope of a rope drop arrival, but figured we would be there just after, which was okay.

Until Party Boy pulls into DTD to get cash out.

Seriously?

I was really irritated at this point. He could tell, too, but he couldn't understand the urgency.

We finally arrived at the parking lot, parked, and took the tram to the TTC. Yeah, as his punishment he had to deal with the stroller.

We got to the TTC and bought tickets and then headed to the monorail. We got in line for the express monorail and stood there waiting. And stood there. And stood there. And stood there.

Eventually the CMs doing crowd control made us move to the platform for the resort monorail. All the time I am fuming.

We get on the resort monorail and ride all the way around the resort properties to finally arrive at the MK exit. And let me tell you the resort people were non to happy to discover a full monorail at each stop.

We finally made it into MK 45 minutes after RD.

Happily it was a very light day and we got to do everything we wanted.

At the end of the day Party Boy apologized. He hadn't realized how involved it was just to get to the actual park, so he had thought I had been overzealous at insisting that we leave so early.

Better to have that happen on an extremely light day at the end of January than during the hyper rush season of Christmas, no?

So, off-site it is and we'll be leaving extra early every day for the parks with the full understanding that this is not Six Flags! I'll still miss the perks of on-site and I will stay on-site someday, just not this trip.

Going back in 2015!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #26
Daddy_of_Princesses

Bummer you aren't staying onsite, but woohoo for getting someplace for free. Well, actually $10 a day since you now have to pay for parking.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #27
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
Bummer you aren't staying onsite, but woohoo for getting someplace for free. Well, actually $10 a day since you now have to pay for parking.
Yeah. And I have to make my own towel animals.

Going back in 2015!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #29
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

So, it's 30 minutes until Labor Day officially begins in my time zone and I am listening to DISRadio and grinning like a fool because I can hear music from EPCOT come straight out of my computer speakers. I even emailed my Mother about this because she is a Disney Nerd like me. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree and all that.

I'm updating because I made autograph books this weekend. Praise to the awesome team of DISigners over on the Creative DISigns board and their generosity without which none of this would have been possible.

The pics are boring. They're not of me actually making the books. They're not of my kids holding the books. They're pictures of a book on the floor. I am truly sorry for my lack of imagination pre-photo shoot. My bad.

{What's up with the awkward copyright Cherry? Well, I'll tell you. I blog too and I had some pictures copied from my blog and used on another blog, claimed as their pictures. Of my kids. So now, any picture that goes on my blog wears a copyright. You know, because I can.}

Alright so the books are hardly works of art. I printed DoNatalies cards onto 4x6 index cards. I hole punched the cards and put them on binder rings. It's because I scrapbook. I want to disassemble one of these bad boys when we get home and scan them for the scrapbook pages. I scrapbook digitally. Here's a page (relevant even!)

And I made three of these little books. I still have one to go, but the color cartridge in the printer is getting dangerously low and you know how they are. It won't print if it runs out of cyan even if I only want to print with black ink. Can't risk it. So, I'll buy another cartridge or four (after I sign the papers to get the second motgage - dang, that ink is pricey) and finish printing autograph cards. And pressed penny labels. And little treat stuff. The list goes on.

And if you are wondering why I need 4 books when I very obviously only have 3 children, well, the fourth one is for.... (if you guessed me you're wrong) my Mom! I'll have access to three when I get home, but poor Mom wouldn't have any autographs of her own. And now she will. She's very excited to meet the characters.

And apprently I have reached that point in trip planning when everything can be related back to Disney. We were talking about the sky-high price of gold which of course started me on the Fantasyland addition. Someone mentioned a television show and I started in on how we were going to get to see the Main Street Electrical Parade. People's eyes glaze over before I can even start talking now. And my poor Party Boy has started to fake illness to escape hearing all of my Disney minutia and trivia. It's all very sad.

At least I have the DIS. Next up - the great T-Shirt debate.

Going back in 2015!

Last edited by Cherry Limeade; 09-05-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #30
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

More from the Epic Adventures of Captain Chaos -

I gave him a bath last night, cause you gotta get all cleaned up for church son!

I left him in the bathroom wrapped in a towel while I went to track down a night-time diaper.

I cam back and it looked like it had snowed in my bathroom. All you Moms out there know what is coming.

He found the baby powder. He was only trying to help. I think. He looked like a little snowman. He was covered from head to toe in powder. So, I threw him into the shower and rinsed him off and then spent some quality time waiting fo the pwder to settle and then cleaned that up as well.

He doesn't really make messes so much as messes find him! And for the record the pediatrician wasn't concerned. You know when this happened a year ago and all. He doesn't have a history of respitory issues, so I just followed the same instructions from before. Monitor and call if he starts exhibiting any respitory symptoms.

Yeah, my pediatrician loves me. I think he has a secret file of the bizarre calls he's gotten from me.

Going back in 2015!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: