Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #211
dvcgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmit4 View Post
Thanks for 'keepin it real' Those on the budget board are generally here because they are good budgeters, they are not the 'norm of America'. Nothing wrong at all with all of these people doing such a great job at saving and budgeting either but I think what you wrote is about the 'norm' for most Americans. Reading these boards can make 'the rest of us' feel horrid sometimes.
This is a really old thread....over six months old.

As for Budget Boarders being unusual...well, maybe a bit.

The original thread asked posters to give their opinion of what it means to "be able to afford things"...

The poster you quoted...in credit card debt, car debt, student loan debt, upside down in her home.....yes, there are an awful lot of Americans in that boat. I'm sorry that reading these boards makes you feel "horrid". I'm sure nobody intends to make anyone feel that way by sharing their stories of frugality or financial success.

I took a few psych classes way back when, and one term stuck with me..."No person can *make* you feel a certain way". *You're* feeling that way for a reason. Probably because you're not happy with where you are financially? I'm just guessing.
dvcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #212
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmic View Post
We can afford it if it is paid in full (room, tickets, transportation) before we leave, we have the money to pay off what we will spend on vacation, we are funding our retirement, we have no consumer debt, we have a fully funded emergency fund that will not be used to pay off what we spent and we are not behind on any bill.
Yes, all of this! I will also say that we charge everything we possibly can to our credit card every month and pay it off every month, using the points to help offset the cost of our trips. We even did that with college tuitions and needless to say, that racked up some nice points in a hurry!

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #213
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I find that a balanced approach works better for me. We had some accumulated debt and just paid off a major chunk of it. My philosophy has been that budget trips are OK as long as we pay cash and continue lowering our debt. Could we lower it faster? Of course. We could also make home repairs and save. However I'm not willing to give up what I enjoy completely just to follow some guy's steps. At least not at this stage of my life.

Kudos to those who are successful though!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #214
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

All I can say is you can NOT afford it if you have to put the trip on credit cards and pay it off over the next 20 years.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: