Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #151
inkedupmomma
If you live to be a 100, I hope to live to be 100 minus 1 day. So I never have to live without you.
 
inkedupmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bucks County,Pa
Posts: 3,995

Quote:
Originally Posted by natenapril View Post
RUN!!


meh, I have a thick layer of tough skin from being on these boards for so long. I know i'll get flamed, but at least I am honest and not sitting on some sort of high horse.

If I die tomorrow, I will die a VERY happy lady, so I'm good with my decisions
inkedupmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #152
Skatermom23
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,983

We have struggled with balance all our adult lives. How do we give our kids a nice childhood while providing for their future. It has been tough but we choose to only have a few big vacations and instead save for college. Believe it or not, my kids have only been to Disney twice!! They are now 17 and 19.

Last night DS called me...he is now at college (his first year) and thanked me for paying for his tuition. He was surprised at how many of his new friends were having to foot the bill alone. My kids had a great childhood and we had plenty of great memories, but that phone call thanking me for saving for his future was Priceless!
Skatermom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #153
padawans
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,085

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedupmomma View Post


meh, I have a thick layer of tough skin from being on these boards for so long. I know i'll get flamed, but at least I am honest and not sitting on some sort of high horse.

If I die tomorrow, I will die a VERY happy lady, so I'm good with my decisions
No flaming from me. Yeah my house payment is less tha 20% of income, low car payment nocc debt lots of savings etc. Home ownership is expensive something is always breaking, needing repair, needing replaced. Sometimes I really envy people that rent. I should be spending money on my house, but vacations are a must for me without them I would go crazy.
padawans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #154
inkedupmomma
If you live to be a 100, I hope to live to be 100 minus 1 day. So I never have to live without you.
 
inkedupmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bucks County,Pa
Posts: 3,995

Quote:
Originally Posted by padawans View Post
No flaming from me. Yeah my house payment is less tha 20% of income, low car payment nocc debt lots of savings etc. Home ownership is expensive something is always breaking, needing repair, needing replaced. Sometimes I really envy people that rent. I should be spending money on my house, but vacations are a must for me without them I would go crazy.
Sadly I have NO vacation for this year, and I truly feel like I might go crazy! BUT, I have one planned for next September...so it's something to look forward too!
inkedupmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #155
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg
 
punkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatermom23 View Post
We have struggled with balance all our adult lives. How do we give our kids a nice childhood while providing for their future. It has been tough but we choose to only have a few big vacations and instead save for college. Believe it or not, my kids have only been to Disney twice!! They are now 17 and 19.

Last night DS called me...he is now at college (his first year) and thanked me for paying for his tuition. He was surprised at how many of his new friends were having to foot the bill alone. My kids had a great childhood and we had plenty of great memories, but that phone call thanking me for saving for his future was Priceless!
I have to agree that paying for college is a definite priority over Disney trips (I know, sacrilege).
__________________
“You don’t want coon dogs chasing squirrels!” Justice Antonin Scalia.
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #156
Virgderon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
I have to agree that paying for college is a definite priority over Disney trips (I know, sacrilege).
This has nothing to do with Disney, but buying into your states pre-paid tuition plan when the kids are very young goes a long way toward paying for college. I started when my kids were 11 and 6, and wish I would have done it sooner and got it over with. I did it, $540 a month for 5 years, and that is all I saved for their college, but it was a big help.

I do think the kids should have some skin in the game- it's ok to expect them to take out the minimum student loan each year in their own name.

I have seen too many kids completely fall apart at college and leave their parents with the burden of an education not completed that needs to be paid for. I know, my stepson is one of them.
Virgderon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #157
crisi
DIS Veteran
 
crisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 22,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgderon View Post
This has nothing to do with Disney, but buying into your states pre-paid tuition plan when the kids are very young goes a long way toward paying for college. I started when my kids were 11 and 6, and wish I would have done it sooner and got it over with. I did it, $540 a month for 5 years, and that is all I saved for their college, but it was a big help.

I do think the kids should have some skin in the game- it's ok to expect them to take out the minimum student loan each year in their own name.

I have seen too many kids completely fall apart at college and leave their parents with the burden of an education not completed that needs to be paid for. I know, my stepson is one of them.
Hopefully, that's an education that WAS paid for. Not needs to be. Because ideally, you saved throughout their childhood and chose a college that was affordable without loans - even if that is community college.

For me, the maximum "skin in the game" is living expenses, plus the difference between what I've saved and what they choose. If I save for the University of North Dakota and they decide to go to Notre Dame, they'll have a lot of skin in the game.

And some college on a resume is still better than no college on a resume. Both my husband and I got through 20 years worth of careers with "educations not completed." In my case, all that "education not completed" counted when I went back 20 years later and finished up.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #158
LovableGluttons
See Ya REAL Soon!
 
LovableGluttons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa! An hour from the Mouse!
Posts: 1,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyeyam View Post
I don't think I'm fortunate at all. I think I made a decision about 20 years ago to save money and not give it to the banks in the form of interest. Oh that and I worked my rear off. It's very easy to do, just have to get used to delaying purchases until you have the money.

Personally, I would never have a car payment. But if I did, I most likely would not take an expensive vacation. I would make our vacation be a trip to grandma's house at the beach, a cheap tent camping trip, etc. I would use the money I saved to pay down the car loan. But that's just me.

If you have never been debt free as an adult you should try it. It's the most awesome feeling in the world and the freedom it gives you is unbelievable. The freedom to take awesome vacations, pay cash for big ticket items, send your kids to college and save money for retirement.

I am 45 years young and I plan on being a millionaire when I retire. It's actually very easy to do. Don't believe me, listen to Dave Ramsey (he's on the web and you can listen to his archived shows for free). I started making wise decision 20 years ago and only recently started listening to him. Finally, someone else that thinks like I do!

We don't have huge 6 figure incomes, we live in a fairly simple 3 bedroom house, my DH's truck is 10 years old, mine is 8 years old. We just bought our DD a new car last year that is fully paid for and we are cash flowing $17,000 per year for her college (yep, no student loans!). Last weekend we bought a brand new travel trailer that we are paying cash for. Instead of paying interest to banks we delayed our purchases. We use the money we save on interest to pay cash for our next big purchase. We always live below our means and we take awesome vacations...cruises, carribean, wdw, dl. And to think it all started because I decided I didn't want to have car payments!


This sounds like DH and I, we are just a bit younger. Millionaires aren't only people with seven figure annual salaries but regular people who sacrifice early, save, invest, budget, and plan. We had no windfalls, no lottery winnings, no inheritance, no life insurance or lawsuit checks. We aren't just lucky. No handouts, just hard work and planning.

I am on my way home from a weekend in Disney with DH as our kids had other plans. We have a monthly vacation budget we use to "afford" it. No credit cards because we have no credit cards at all.
__________________
LovableGluttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #159
crisi
DIS Veteran
 
crisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 22,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovableGluttons View Post
This sounds like DH and I, we are just a bit younger. Millionaires aren't only people with seven figure annual salaries but regular people who sacrifice early, save, invest, budget, and plan. We had no windfalls, no lottery winnings, no inheritance, no life insurance or lawsuit checks. We aren't just lucky. No handouts, just hard work and planning.

I am on my way home from a weekend in Disney with DH as our kids had other plans. We have a monthly vacation budget we use to "afford" it. No credit cards because we have no credit cards at all.
There is a certain amount of luck involved. Its more than just hard work and frugality. You have to be lucky enough to no be unlucky. A house growing mold that needs mold abatement, an illness that sets you back $50k in out of pocket expenses, a job loss that leaves you unemployed and unable to even find work as a pizza delivery person, a needed job relocation when you have to sell your house at a loss.

And, while I'm a huge fan of financial security, I wouldn't deprive myself in order to "be a millionaire." Nor would I work two jobs in order to do it. You need to have balance in your life.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #160
LovableGluttons
See Ya REAL Soon!
 
LovableGluttons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa! An hour from the Mouse!
Posts: 1,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
There is a certain amount of luck involved. Its more than just hard work and frugality. You have to be lucky enough to no be unlucky. A house growing mold that needs mold abatement, an illness that sets you back $50k in out of pocket expenses, a job loss that leaves you unemployed and unable to even find work as a pizza delivery person, a needed job relocation when you have to sell your house at a loss.

And, while I'm a huge fan of financial security, I wouldn't deprive myself in order to "be a millionaire." Nor would I work two jobs in order to do it. You need to have balance in your life.
I think many of us on this board have varying opinions on what would constitute luck, what would the definition of financial security is. Also, what level of sacrifice would be worth ittoachieve those goals.

Ultimately, for me, I needed to be one who was the hunter as well as the gatherer to feel like I earned it. I was important to my self esteem (ego).
__________________
LovableGluttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #161
crisi
DIS Veteran
 
crisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 22,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovableGluttons View Post
I think many of us on this board have varying opinions on what would constitute luck, what would the definition of financial security is. Also, what level of sacrifice would be worth ittoachieve those goals.

Ultimately, for me, I needed to be one who was the hunter as well as the gatherer to feel like I earned it. I was important to my self esteem (ego).
Certainly, but to not acknowledge that there is luck involved does a huge disservice to those that are frugal and hard working, and yet their circumstances continue to conspire against them to keep them from being secure.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #162
LovableGluttons
See Ya REAL Soon!
 
LovableGluttons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa! An hour from the Mouse!
Posts: 1,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Certainly, but to not acknowledge that there is luck involved does a huge disservice to those that are frugal and hard working, and yet their circumstances continue to conspire against them to keep them from being secure.
I don't feel there was luck involved, nor a lack of bad luck. There were some big, unexpected expenses along the way we've had to pay. When setbacks occurred, we just worked more. When my husband couldn't find a job that paid well for two years after he retired from the military, I worked three jobs to keep us on track with our savings goals.

I would have loved to have had more than two children, but stopped at two so we could provide for them and ourselves in the manner WE felt was right for us.
__________________
LovableGluttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #163
Virgderon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 834

[QUOTE=crisi;38099698]Hopefully, that's an education that WAS paid for. Not needs to be. Because ideally, you saved throughout their childhood and chose a college that was affordable without loans - even if that is community college.QUOTE]

Umm, nope. Not when you have 4 kids from 2 previous marriages. Only one went to community college. We couldn't possibly save enough, not when in state tuition is 20k a year. The combined total is more than I paid for my house.

It is beyond hard to tell a brilliant child that they will have to go to community college. I wasn't willing to do it.

By the way, the New York Times reports that the average college student is now graduating with about $23,000 in loans, and there is a 10.6 unemployment rate for new grads. Let's not even talk about the number of them that are not employed in their major, and are working retail or at Starbucks.

My kids held up their end of the bargain. They got the grades and got merit scholarships. Because we are middle class, the government wasn't giving us any money. Even with their merit scholarships and the pre-paid tuition savings, we could not pay cash for their college.

"Certainly, but to not acknowledge that there is luck involved does a huge disservice to those that are frugal and hard working, and yet their circumstances continue to conspire against them to keep them from being secure. "

You bet- this I can agree with totally. I never thought my college educated , computer programmer husband would be laid off twice in less than 10 years. Thanks to outsourcing, that is exactly what happened. If we keep sending our jobs to India, there will many college educated computer programmers working at Best Buy.

Last edited by Virgderon; 09-05-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Virgderon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #164
padawans
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,085

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovableGluttons View Post
I don't feel there was luck involved, nor a lack of bad luck. There were some big, unexpected expenses along the way we've had to pay. When setbacks occurred, we just worked more. When my husband couldn't find a job that paid well for two years after he retired from the military, I worked three jobs to keep us on track with our savings goals.

I would have loved to have had more than two children, but stopped at two so we could provide for them and ourselves in the manner WE felt was right for us.
If you have have your health and are capable of working 3 jobs you are lucky. It amazes me that some people can't appreciate their blessings. My finances are in order ,but I have had it so easy compared to others. Believe it or not there are some people that can't just work more when bad things happen.
padawans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #165
LovableGluttons
See Ya REAL Soon!
 
LovableGluttons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa! An hour from the Mouse!
Posts: 1,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by padawans View Post
If you have have your health and are capable of working 3 jobs you are lucky. It amazes me that some people can't appreciate their blessings. My finances are in order ,but I have had it so easy compared to others. Believe it or not there are some people that can't just work more when bad things happen.
Do you feel I don't appreciate my blessings or my money. I worked one full time job and two part time jobs in college. There was no financial aid, no student loans, no way for my parents to help. That's not a blessing, just learning to go without rest, sleep, food, if needed
to reach a goal. My blessings are my family who never told me that the things I was willing to do to make things happen, might have seemed extreme and definitely unconventional.

I worked twelve hour shifts while passing kidney stones, held a dying baby at work while miscarrying my own. There was no one available to relieve me thanks to this nursing shortage.

Blessings? Luck?
__________________
LovableGluttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.