Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #91
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissalee View Post
I have really been enjoying your reviews. I keep thinking about Saana, but then always change my mind. Your review has moved it to the top of the list for me!
I would heartily recommend Sanaa - I know everyone has different experiences but it was such a lovely atmosphere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyWI View Post
Great report so far, thanks!
Thank you so much for reading!
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #92
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Tuesday 17th August

Today was so HOT! But we wouldn't let that put us off our food!

We had breakfast in the villa and then headed out to AK. We had lots of AK fun before deciding that we needed FOOD!

With Flame Tree BBQ being closed we decided to try Restaurantasaurus(?) for a quick counter service meal.

This turned out to be a good decision. (Sorry no pics)

I didn't really how big it was inside - several large dining areas that lead into each other. We easily found a table.

The girls and I were in the mood for something a bit different so we each got a hot dog. This was very tasty and satisfying. Of course, Simon had a burger. We all got the chocolate mousse for dessert which was very light and yummy. We were very pleased with this CS choice.

After going on more rides in the afternoon, we headed back to OKW to get ready for our ADR at Narcoossees. When I say 'Get Ready' I mean crawl under the covers and go to sleep - that's what I did at least - I think the kids watched more Hannah Montana.

Anyway, fully refreshed we headed to EPCOT so we could catch the monorail to MK and then the Grand Floridian.

We had a slight panic when we got there and I looked at Simon's very neat, organised laminated card with all our ADRs on - it said we were due there on the 19th not the 17th! Simon dashed off to check while we waited in the main foyer. He came back (slightly out of breath) to say were were due tonight - he'd obviously just made an error when typing out the cards! Phew! What a relief we hadn't got gussied up for nothing - and we were starving!

So we went and checked in on time - but we had to wait about ten or fifteen minutes. Here's Simon and the girls outside:

The restaurant is beautiful - it over looks the Seven Seas Lagoon with excellent views of the Magic Kingdom, The Contemporary and The Polynesian. It has a viewing deck - but it was quite breezy out there.

Our table was up on the second tier and we had nice, elevated views out of the window. We were quite near the bar but it didn't get too busy and there was plenty of space - we didn't feel at all squashed.

Our server was Rita and she seemed pleasant enough. But she wasn't great. She didn't refill our glasses or check if we needed anything the whole night. Our whole meal took only just over an hour. A bit rushed for a signature meal if you ask me.

This is the first place we had eaten at that being on the dining plan, and not staying at the GF gave us a different standard of service. It wasn't bad. Just not signature standard. Not really Disney standard even.

Luckily, the food was very good.

Now, you know us - being on the regular DDP didn't stop us from ordering starters if something took our fancy. But nothing did here and Rita seemed a bit put out with this and asked us if we 'were sure'....er...yes!

Bizarrely, when we sat down - I noticed that Rita called Simon 'James'..... she then proceeded to give him a menu with 'Happy Birthday James' on!

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to James, whoever he was, because we didn't dare to tell them they'd got the wrong person - so he never got his personalised menu!

I got a Narcoossees lemonade which was lovely and refreshing - but I finished it about halfway through my meal and was never offered another drink. I probably would have ordered another of the same drink if our server had been around. We weren't even brought water to drink as we were at every other signature restaurant we ate at. Likewise, Kate ran out of sprite and we eventually had to track Rita down to refill it. At many other restaurants in WDW our soft drinks were refilled before we even realised we were coming to the end of them!

Here is my cocktail:

And Simon and Sarah:

We were, at least, given some lovely sourdough bread and butter which was sprinkled with sea salt:

The entrees were quite delicious. Simon decided to try the surf and turf:

I tried some of the lobster tail and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Simon was happy with his food.

Sarah and Kate both tried the chicken dish:

And they were both very happy with their choice.

I went for the crab crusted flounder with crushed potatoes and meyer lemon (Sarah and Kate teased me mercilessly about eating poor flounder!):

The was absolutely delicious! A serious contender for my favourite entree of the whole holiday - just a shame the whole experience was something of a let down.

For dessert - I knew what I wanted - I had been eyeing it up for months:

The almond crusted cheesecake! And it was yummy - I just couldn't manage to eat it all!

Kate and Simon both had the chocolate dome:

And Sarah had the gelato sampler:

Seeing as I hadn't managed to grab Rita for another cocktail I decided to order a liquer coffee with my dessert. Well, that never showed up but he bill did. Rita had obviously forgotten my coffee and we were past caring to make an issue of it (* take note of this event when we go to another signature restaurant and how THEY dealt with the same situation)

For the first time we didn't round the tip up past 20% - the service just did not deserve it. When we compared it to Sanaa there was no contest.

So, all in all, Narcoossees was a big disappointment to us. We just weren't made to feel comfortable. And anyone who read my 2008 food review will remember that we had a disappointing time at the Garden View Tea Room. (We call it Triflegate!)

This meal was Simon's first time eating at the Grand Floridian and he was disappointed - I don't think we will go back to eat there.

Total cost of meal: $264.33

We paid $59.44 for my Narcoossees Lemonade, Simon's beer and the tip.

Crumble Rating: 5 out of 10 (that's for the food)

Coming up: Don't worry folks - things get much, much better!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #93
lblume91
It's magic wrapped up in pixie dust!

Loving the reviews & all the pics! I've never given Yak & Yeti a second thought but you've put it pretty high on our possible to do list for May's trip. My DH is totally drooling over the steak & shrimp photo!!
Old 09-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #94
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lblume91 View Post
Loving the reviews & all the pics! I've never given Yak & Yeti a second thought but you've put it pretty high on our possible to do list for May's trip. My DH is totally drooling over the steak & shrimp photo!!
Thank you! We really loved Yak n Yeti - all the food was totally delicious! It was one of those unexpected delights that Disney do so well!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #95
merrymouse1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post
[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Indigo"][U]Tuesday 17th August[/U

So, all in all, Narcoossees was a big disappointment to us. We just weren't made to feel comfortable. And anyone who read my 2008 food review will remember that we had a disappointing time at the Garden View Tea Room. (We call it Triflegate!)

This must have been a big disappointment! Nothing worse than bad service, definitely takes away from a great meal and evening. I hope you have better luck with your next meal. Again, loving the report! Thanks
merrymouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #96
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

loving your reviews!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #97
Tink2312
I didn't ask to be a princess but if the crown fits...
May take over the world ... or not

What a shame about the server at Narcoossee's We're trying it for the first time on our next trip - the flounder looked lovely but I've been eying up the surf and turf for months!!
I may try a Narcoossee's lemonade too - what was in it?
Can't wait to read more
Easter 1992 - Holiday Inn I-Drive/ Hilton St. Pete’s Beach, June 1993 - Doubletree Universal/ Hilton Clearwater, Easter 1995 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive,Halloween 1995 - DLP offsite, Easter 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive, Easter 2000 - Doubletree Universal, Christmas 2000 - Courtyard by Marriot DTD/ Tradewinds Island Grande St Pete’s Beach/ Holiday Inn Universal Halloween 2001 - Cheyenne DLP, Easter 2002 - CBM DTD/ Clearwater Beach Hotel, July 2003 - Newport Bay DLP Jan 2004 - Cypress Pointe, Easter 2005 - Hawthorn Suites LBV/ Bahama Bay, July 2006 - Newport Bay DLP Christmas2006- Springhill Suites LBV, Thanksgiving 2007 - Buena Vista Palace/ Park Shore Naples/ Pop/ CSR, March/ April 2009 - Pop/ CSR/ Blue Heron Beach Resort Nov 2009 - SSR and free dining Oct 2010 - SSR and free DDP March 2011 - Solo trip to BLT Sept 2011 - DLRP Christmas/ New Year 2011 - BLT/AKV/WLV Nov 2012 - BLT/Dream 4 night Bahamas Cruise June 2013 -Magic Mediterranean 7 night cruise November 2013 - BLT February 2014 - DLP solo October 2014 - ASM, BLT & BC
Tink2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #98
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Had to go and read your old review to find out about triflegate!
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #99
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymouse1 View Post
This must have been a big disappointment! Nothing worse than bad service, definitely takes away from a great meal and evening. I hope you have better luck with your next meal. Again, loving the report! Thanks
A server certainly makes or breaks a meal experience. Delicious food, bad service = never going there again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepete View Post
loving your reviews!
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink2312 View Post
What a shame about the server at Narcoossee's We're trying it for the first time on our next trip - the flounder looked lovely but I've been eying up the surf and turf for months!!
I may try a Narcoossee's lemonade too - what was in it?
Can't wait to read more
I'm sure there are many attentive servers at Narcoossees - you will probably have a different experience to us.

The lemonade was great - I'll have a look and see if I can remember what was in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Had to go and read your old review to find out about triflegate!
Sarah still has flashbacks! Thanks for taking the time to read!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #100
mossyflossy
Mouseketeer

Just found this review and have been loving every second of it...we were there at the same time as you (although not for as long at Disney).

Have to say I'd never seriously considered sanaa but your cocktail alone is making me want to check out the menu right this second!
mossyflossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #101
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post
[B] Bizarrely, when we sat down - I noticed that Rita called Simon 'James'..... she then proceeded to give him a menu with 'Happy Birthday James' on!

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to James, whoever he was, because we didn't dare to tell them they'd got the wrong person - so he never got his personalised menu!
Too funny! Sorry to hear about the bad service at narcoosee's. I've been reading lots of mixed reviews on the service there.

Aug 2014 - YC Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL Oct 2013 - PBH Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP) Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP) May 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP) Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP) Oct 2009 - BC (DDP) May 2004 - RPR April 1995 - AsMu
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #102
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran

I am so enjoying your reviews! Great pictures, and y'all seem like a great family! Sorry to hear that your dinner at Narcoossee's was such a disappointment.
EeyoreEma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #103
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
I really enjoyed reading your reviews and seeing all the pictures!! Thanks for taking your time to share everything. We'll be at DW 12 days. Can't wait!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #104
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Loving the reviews, Shari!

I went and checked out 'Triflegate' in your previous dining report and I am so shocked and sorry that you and your daughter would have to go through something like that. Thankfully we won't be going for the Afternoon Tea!

2002: Disneyland and Californian Adventure - Offsite
2006: WDW - Disney's Wilderness Lodge
2007: Disneyland Resort Paris - Disney's Sequoia Lodge
2008: Tokyo Disney Resort - Hilton @ Tokyo Disney Resort
2010: HK Disneyland - Offsite
2010: WDW - Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
The_Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #105
Ullis
Earning My Ears

Fab. reviews! I have ADRs at BOMA this year but next year - I GO SANAA!

2009: WDW - Coronado Springs
2008: WDW - Coronado Springs
2007: DLRP - Sequoia Lodge
2006: DLRP - Santa Fe
2005: DL - offsite
Ullis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: