Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Pixie Dust for Me!
Anyone seen tink lately, I'm running a bit low on dust!

Review of Chef Mickey's...July 2011

Hi all,

Chef Mickey's has been a favorite of ours in the past. Unfortunately, no more! The restaurant was dirty and not well kept....tables weren't promptly turned over, instead dishes from one table were stacked on another "dirty" table and it took a while for the busers to clean them off.

We all know that kids (and some adults) aren't as careful about dropping things on the floor...but the floor was just awful!

The photos...really.....??? Way to expensive! Why do we have to do this before we go and sit down? Oh yes, to get even more money out of us. Talk about wasteful....how many people really buy the packages?

Now, on to the food. Yes, it is a buffet and I understand that food quality can be hard to maintain. But they should have someone who is responsible for maintaining and overseeing the cleanliness of the buffet itself to clean up the dropped items and wipe off the area. Also, the food variety's were not as good as in the past. There were only 5 hot dishes and even the hot dishes weren't so hot....my mashed potatoes were cold! Yuck!

Maybe we just caught them on a bad night. We dined at 6:20 on a Saturday evening so it was pretty much "prime time."

Sorry, but we won't be back. It was just plain gross this time!

Keri

We now get to hear "Welcome Home" since we are DVC members!!

Also see my DS at TheDuckStopsHere
Pixie Dust for Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I think you did catch it on a bad night altho you hear quite a few bad reviews.. We went for the fist time in June, I landed this ADR for my step sons first WDW trip. I told DH upfront that it had eh reviews. We were pleasantly suprised! Server was so sweet and attentive even tho she was constantly running! Character interaction was great and we were very suprised by the food! Food on kids buffett was edible but eh.. Everything we tasted on adult buffet from prime rib, chicken, mash po, augratin po, green beans, corn bread, salads were all very good..Thought dessert bar a little lacking but were too full really..
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
cns01120
Earning My Ears

We went years ago and never went back. The food was awful, the stations were disgusting, you could barely see the floor because so much food was all over it and it was so loud you couldn't even talk to the people at your table. I particularly enjoyed going up to the ice cream station which was overflowing to the point that you could not fit a dish underneath the spout without getting covered in melted mush. Our waitress came exactly one time to our table.

One bad experience can definitely make people never want to go back.
cns01120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

So sorry you had a bad experience at CM! We were afraid to go back last summer because reviews had been getting worse and worse...but we actually had a surprisingly great experience. I'm secretly happy I wasn't able to get an ADR for this trip!

I hope the rest of your meals were better!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I do agree one bad experience will keep you from going back.. CP was aweful for us, San Angel was bad on our honeymoon and I have been trying to talk DH into going back now that menu and all has changed..

OP I hope the rest of your meals and vacation were much better!!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
lizzyb
DIS Veteran

Sorry you had a bad experience. There is definately alot of turnover there but they should keep on top of cleaning.
Oct. 23-28, 2007 Pop Century,July 12-19, 2008 Pop Century, Jan. 23-30, 2009 Pop Century, Jan.23-31,2010 POR, Aug. 28-Sept. 4, 2011 CSR, Aug.13-19, 2012 AoA, April 20-27, 2013 Disney Fantasy, Aug. 3-12, 2014 CR, April 25- May 2, 2015 Disney Fantasy

lizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Pixie Dust for Me!

Thanks everyone,

Our other meals were good to very good. Since we stayed using our DVC points (for most of the trip), we didn't eat out all that much. Our other ADRs were Cape May (it was terrific!), and Chefs de France (eh...my meal was good, though the beef was well done rather than medium as requested). We stayed at Ft. Wilderness Cabins the last 2 nights of our trip and ate once at Trails End which was very clean and I thought was pretty good...though my husband was more of the eh...it was OK...opinion.

Let me put a plug in here for Cape May. I was skeptical that a seafood buffet could be good....but it was terrific! The fried shrimp was done in a light batter, maybe a tempura batter, and it was wonderful. The crab legs (snow crab) were surprisingly good. Even my husband who was very reluctant to come here said that it is a must do in the future.

Hope you all enjoy your Disney Dining in the future,

Keri

Old 08-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

I TOTALLY agree w/ you about Chef Mickey's. We went for breakfast last Sept thinking it was going to be awesome . OMG. It was completely unorganized (we had ADR's and waited 1 hour for our table) and completely filthy. As we walked to the food stations, we're stepping on cereal and ice cream. It was disgusting. Parents let their kids pick fruit up w/ their hands.... no, not bananas....they picked up strawberries, pieces of melon, pineapple with their bare hands. it was disgusting. (now granted, that wasn't the fault of Chef Mickey's, but it made me walk away from the fruit...) The food was not replenished, the Mickey waffles were stone cold, the eggs had other food in them from someone using a different spoon. It was disgusting.

The photo package was grossly overpriced and you're not even taking a pic w/ an actual character! We were there over 2 hours waiting for the characters to finally get to our room. (as were the other tables in our area) People were getting so upset. Finally, we all got the characters and at that point, everyone around us had already paid their checks and were just waiting for characters. It was crazy.

Next time, we're skipping this for sure. To us, Tusker House was THE best character meal. Chef Mickey's was too insane.

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
joell51868
Earning My Ears

I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad time. I was actually just going to post asking to hear about Chef Mickey's Dinner. We've only ever done breakfast there & this trip I went against my "gut feeling" and booked dinner just to have one day where we werent getting up at 6am. Now I'm so afraid and I keep checking to try to change our ADR but nothing is available. I dont care if I dont enjoy it, I'm just hoping & praying the kids still have a good time.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
mom2_3girls
Mouseketeer

I had planned on getting an ADR for Chef Mickeys for March, but now I wonder if I should plan on something else. The main reason we are going is to see Pluto and Minnie...my girls favorites. We are also doing Cape May, Tusker House and Crystal Palace...I wonder if I should just go ahead and book it and hope for the best.

me : dh: dd (17) dd (11) former wish child dd (10)
2009 offsite, 2010 Disney Marathon/offsite
2011 Give Kids the World
2012 POP Century/CBR, 2013 BC/AKL, 2013 AoA/Disney Dream
mom2_3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:23 AM   #11
Pixie Dust for Me!

I truly hope your experiences are FAR different than mine and that you have a great time!

K

Old 08-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
ksolich
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2_3girls View Post
I had planned on getting an ADR for Chef Mickeys for March, but now I wonder if I should plan on something else. The main reason we are going is to see Pluto and Minnie...my girls favorites. We are also doing Cape May, Tusker House and Crystal Palace...I wonder if I should just go ahead and book it and hope for the best.
Have you been to the character spot at EPCOT? Me and DBF just got back from a trip just yesterday and we did that, while the wait was about 30 minutes we got great character interaction with the Fab 5, even though we were adults without children!
ksolich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Schoolbread
Mouseketeer

Never been to CM's, and these stories are exactly why! In fact, I shy away from the buffets in general because of little paws in the food....ICK!
Schoolbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
mlg32
Mouseketeer
Oh my God the red rainboots!!

Ugh we haven't been in a couple of years, and for this upcoming trip I got a ADR right before MVMCP, but now i don't know. I have been there when it's gross and also been seated far away from the "fun" and those experiences stink.

BWI June 2014
AKL /Captiva Island June 2013
POR/Poly August 2012 Celebrating DDs 7th Birthday!
AKL Dec 2011
BC Nov 2010
BC April 2010
GF Dec 2008
Poly/BC Jul-Aug 2007
Poly May 2006
Poly May 2005
AKL Aug 2004
mlg32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
CaptainAlex
Mouseketeer

It really reads as CM is a mixed bag and is seems to be the biggest gamble when considering this being ADR worthy.

I hope my family has a good expeirence with CM when we go for dinner.

Past Disney Trips
-June 1989: Hotel Royal Plaza
-July 1989: One day Trip to MK from Port Richie
-August 1989: Holiday Inn (International Drive)
-July 1990: Swan
-June 1993: Port Orleans
-June 1994: Port Orleans
-August 2010: Comfort Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
-August 2011: One Week at All Star Music
-August 2012: Embassy Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
-February 2013: Art of Animation
CaptainAlex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: