Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #1051
natebenma
DIS Veteran

OK, everyone kind of covered it with "WOW!". That was an interesting, eventful morning! So glad you stopped for the cup of coffee- I know I couldn't have handled all that without some serious caffienation.

Sorry to hear about Paul, and hope it all worked out. Thank goodness for cellphones. I remember traveling not so long ago when it would have been impossible to even get the information about missed flight to you.

Yeah on finding the key! Isn't it always in the last place you look! And don't you HATE that expression.

Thanks for the review of the WL tour. How often does Ranger Joe do that. On our July trip, we wanted to pop over to WL to look around, but we never made it.

I'm glad they could reschedule the photopass shoot for you.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #1052
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Shoot! Not a good beginning for Sandie & Paul - I hope you aren't going to tell us it was something MORE than pain management. Now wasn't there an issue about one of the E's not registered anywhere yet - I thought you were going to list one of them in Sandie and Paul's room?

Can't wait to see the photo session shots!
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #1053
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Oh my! That is quite a story and quite a ride so far and it isn't even noon!!! Well I know your photos turned out nicely, from earlier posts, but I hope everything works out in the end! Looking forward to the next update!

Oh! I also wanted to say that the tour at WL seems like that would be a fun activity. I would enjoy something like that, too. Nice choice, even if it was short!
You, and I think your whole gang, would love the WL tour. He does a great job of working with the audience and focusing on things that might be more interesting to whomever is there. We were mostly adults and an older child but I think he'd do well with younger ones as well.

Yes, quite the ride of a morning. I am so glad I still took the time to do the abbreviated tour, despite it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
Man what an exhausting morning!!!
Ranger Joe seems like a swell guy who loves his job I love his Hidden Mickey!! So cute!!
Oy on the gout My father had that once (gout is such an ugly word, isn't it) and it was extremely painful as I recall. I remember getting him some organic pure cherry juice from a store I shop at to help with the medication.
So happy you found the key....I would have been a wreck if I wasn't able to get to my stuff. Those archaic safes with the keys....

Tracy
Isn't that mickey adorable? Much more Mortimer than Mickey, and so cute!

Gout is such an ugly word. Rich man's disease they call it. I (We) didn't even know it still existed.

What's awful about those safes is you really want to keep your stuff safe and yet, are terrified you'll lock yourself out, forget the combo or lose the darn key. I've had some bad safe karma over the last year. Which means Mary Ellen is in charge of the safe in May. So glad I found the key, I swore I'd looked wherever it was before but, obviously not. Put it in such a safe projected place that I couldn't find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
WOW what an eventful morning!!!!! You got a lot done!!

The tour at WL sounds like something I would really like to do someday!! The picture of the Hidden Mickey is too cute!!!!

YAY for finding the room safe key!! That's definitely a plus!!!
The tour is really really neat, I highly reccomend it! If you are lucky (like Mary Ellen) and have the time, he might take you up to the roof! Her pictures are a amazing.

I love that Mickey and it was a HUGE yay for the room key and a huge DOH for all I actually had in that safe .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid764 View Post
Wow what a crazy morning, it's never fun to start a disney morning with such terrible news...hopefully the still made an ok flight

That's too bad that there wasn't time to do the full tour but what he packed into the half an hour one sure seemed interesting.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the photoshoot
It was a great tour, I would do it again and get the full hour if we ever stay there again. Photoshoot coming up next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
What a morning!!! I hope things calm down for you in the afternoon!

Can't wait to hear all about the photo session.
It was a bit nutty to be sure. I think it's something about moving day. It "should" be calm as I generally don't schedule much to allow for the transition but for some reason, is and isn't all at the same time. If that makes sense.

Photo's coming up next!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #1054
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Oh, no! Poor Paul having to go to the hospital!

What a fun tour with Ranger Joe -- I never knew totem poles couldn't face each other -- very neat piece of trivia!
I thought so too! I wish I could remember the story and retell it, (something about Raven, I swear, it's always about Raven) but that's all I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Your chapter title gave me quite a fright! Hope that the ER is able to help Paul and they're able to make a later stand-by flight. I am WAY too much of a control freak to ever consider flying stand-by... I'd be a nervous wreck!!

So glad you got to squeeze in the tour and change your portrait appt time. Can't wait to see the pictures!!

On your earlier question on the villas... BCV has not been refurbished. Not sure if it's on the "to do" list or not. I hope it is!
Sorry to scare you! I've done standby before but it wouldn't be my first choice. Then again, for free and with a usual upgrade to 1st class (they fly as a relative of an employee and somehow get this all the time, we don't quite get it) I can see it being worth it! They are used to it so while it's a bit hard on us to plan around, we roll with it.

Did they redo the BCV regular rooms? YC was just done, no idea if BC was as well. It would seem like they'd all get hit eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Wow - What a morning!!

The YC looks gorgeous!!! I'm so glad you were able to check in, your room was ready & you were able to hold Sandie & Paul's room. I hope it all worked out as planned.

It is SO beautiful! I loved our room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
The WL tour sounds amazing - what a fun & unique experience. I hope Sandie & Paul made it!! Can't wait to hear about the photo session.
Photo session next and the tour is absolutely wonderful! too bad my pictures aren't better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
On no! Poor Paul I hope he was feeling ok for the rest of the trip.

The WL tour looks like fun. I love finding out interesting facts about different places. The Lodge is beautiful in a completely different way. It isn't elegant, it has more of a majestic quality about it. I love the totem pole.
Majestic is a great description!

Quote:
I forgot about the BW Bakery
I the bakery!

Quote:
One of the biggest cons for us with the WL is that my parents and I usually travel together with my nephews. The WL rooms have a lower occupancy level than the other deluxes. And I know I could try to get a villa. But, honestly, I find the decor so ugly and outdated.

I understand what you mean about the bedding. It's the same situation at the Poly. As much as I the Poly, the bedding is SO much better at YC, CR, and BLT. I'm not a huge fan of patterned comforters. I like the basic white at the YC, CR, and BLT, with accent throws and pillows to add some color.
If they redid the linens it would change the whole thing. I love the beds themselves and the rest of the decor works for me. I will say, it is very true to the PNW/Lodge type of decor through. But I'm with you on patterned comforters. They do have the family suite that sleeps 6 which is bunkbeds. Could be fun for a night or 2. 3 nights there and 5 at the YC was the best of both worlds for me.

Quote:
You scored with the OBC. That definitely makes it worth using a travel agent. We're thinking of a cruise for summer 2012. I may need to find a travel agent.
Well, our very own Rebecca is one you know and I'm happy to send the info for mine if you want as well. I know Rebecca is working on her cruise cert stuff and my agent specializes in them so I actually feel like I'm in very good hands for this. She gave me some great advice and it really helped us!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #1055
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

What a morning! Wow. Hope everything worked out just fine with Paul. Can't wait to see the Photopass pictures!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 01-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #1056
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Glad you found the key!

But now I'm going to be fretting about whether Sandie & Paul made it and what arrangements had to be made for the "leftover" E

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)
Old 01-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #1058
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a pretty exasperating morning. Sorry about Paul's health issues; I hope they were able to join you eventually.

I'm glad you were able to get a short tour with Ranger Joe. I love to meet people like that, who obviously love their job.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #1059
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Sounds like a pretty exasperating morning. Sorry about Paul's health issues; I hope they were able to join you eventually.

I'm glad you were able to get a short tour with Ranger Joe. I love to meet people like that, who obviously love their job.
Truthfully at that point it really wasn't exasperating as well. I'd been mentally prepared for both flight and health issues, much as I adore Sandie and Paul drama was not totally unexpected and so while it was a bit like worst fears realized...neither of us were all that surprised that something had gone wrong. I mean we'd had to restructure the trip around some of Paul's stuff already, this was a little (sounds horrible but...) par for the course. The question for us at that point would be how it would, or wouldn't, play out.

You would really enjoy the tour!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #1060
MEK
DIS Veteran

I love Ranger Joe and I am so glad you got the abbreviated version of the tour. I thought that whole totem pole thing was pretty cool. What's so cool is you would never notice that they aren't completely aligned. I could see it when he took me up some steps from the concierge level to the roof. I wish I could remember the story behind the characters on the totem pool, but I can't. I also think its so cool that fireplace is designed to replicate the geological layers of the grand canyon.

You'd think Ranger Joe would get sick of talking about the same thing over and over, but you're right, the guy LOVES his job. He really is the coolest of dudes. He embodies what Walt Disney World is all about.

If I ever take a trip where I don't hit the parks, I am going back to take that tour again. Too bad you couldn't go to the roof, but you would have baked up there in 30 secs. Not good for your upcoming picture.

Glad you found the key. Bummer about the gout attack. Yeah to moving back the photo shoot.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #1061
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I love Ranger Joe and I am so glad you got the abbreviated version of the tour. I thought that whole totem pole thing was pretty cool. What's so cool is you would never notice that they aren't completely aligned. I could see it when he took me up some steps from the concierge level to the roof. I wish I could remember the story behind the characters on the totem pool, but I can't. I also think its so cool that fireplace is designed to replicate the geological layers of the grand canyon.
Oh I forgot about the fireplace, I thought that was cool too! It was pretty cool hearing all of that, havining been in the GC lodge not all that long ago, it resonated that much more.

Neat that you could see it from above, you can't tell they aren't aligned form the lobby at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
You'd think Ranger Joe would get sick of talking about the same thing over and over, but you're right, the guy LOVES his job. He really is the coolest of dudes. He embodies what Walt Disney World is all about.

If I ever take a trip where I don't hit the parks, I am going back to take that tour again. Too bad you couldn't go to the roof, but you would have baked up there in 30 secs. Not good for your upcoming picture.

Glad you found the key. Bummer about the gout attack. Yeah to moving back the photo shoot.
He does embody Disney, pure and simple and his joy and pride really was infectious. Jeff would have loved it (but thankfully could enjoy it in peace!)

Oh my goodness I would have melted. I was already feeling hot and sweaty and not photogenic just from rushing around and feeling a bit flustered with the news. It was HOT HOT HOT that day. Which will come into play soon.....
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #1062
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

only my husband

I am totally cracking up.

This picture was shamelessly used by yours truly as we were discussing the cruise. It is now Jeff's computer wallpaper. This from a man who has stated every 3 years might be too much.

Today he informs me that the tail number (November-eight-six-six-mike-mike) must stand for Mickey Mouse. Too funny that he actually noticed the call sign.

Of course now I want to know what the 866 stands for.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #1063
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Does the date November 8, 1966 have some significance?
What a cute picture!

We've got an Alaska cruise on the future trips list as well. Not sure when that will come into play, but perhaps in summer 2012 or 2013. Can you book for 2013 yet??

Can't wait for the photopass pics!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #1064
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I am totally cracking up.

This picture was shamelessly used by yours truly as we were discussing the cruise. It is now Jeff's computer wallpaper. This from a man who has stated every 3 years might be too much.
FUNNY! Love it. That makes me laugh... Matt doesn't deny liking Disney, but he would also like to claim we need a break between Disney visits... and yet we have been back three times this year ...

You must really be looking forward to your trip this spring. I am sure you ladies will have a great time!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Old 01-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #1065
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Does the date November 8, 1966 have some significance?
What a cute picture!

We've got an Alaska cruise on the future trips list as well. Not sure when that will come into play, but perhaps in summer 2012 or 2013. Can you book for 2013 yet??

Can't wait for the photopass pics!!!
Well, all the private planes start with an N (November) but that date could have some significance. Then again it may be an entirely fake registration number! Or randomly assigned with the MM requested.

2012 for sure but not 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
FUNNY! Love it. That makes me laugh... Matt doesn't deny liking Disney, but he would also like to claim we need a break between Disney visits... and yet we have been back three times this year ...

You must really be looking forward to your trip this spring. I am sure you ladies will have a great time!
He cracks me up, 3 times this year plus 2 cruises coming....he needs a break. I think he is taking a break. WDW, Cruise, WDW, Cruise...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: