Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #992
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a nice time in Germany and a big congrats on the cruise-HOW FUN
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #993
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

I really thought that I had subscribed to your tr but apparently I hadn't so here I am and I am all caught up thanks to your handy dandy links. Sounds like you had a good albeit trip to Germany. Your cruise to Alaska looks like a lot of fun. I loved that little video. Donald is cute in his plaid getup.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #994
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Welcome back, Cynthia. Can't wait to hear all about it.

The Donald Duck adventure sounds awesome. My boss went on a cruise there many years ago with his entire family and they loved it.

When you are caught up, I've started my PTR (peer pressure from Tim and Marv).
WTG Tim and Marv! Peer pressure is a good thing and it's never to early to start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
Welcome back!

It sounds like you made the right call on DVC.

That's awesome about the cruise.

You all will have a great time. I don't blame you on the balcony.
Thanks! The timing just isn't right, I couldn't justify something today that I don't need for over a year as it would keep us from things between now and then. I feel good about the decision.

VERY excited about the cruise, I think it will be a pretty special trip.

None of us have ever been, we've always wanted to go and Jeff has often said it's one of the few cruises he'd actually consider. Add in Disney and the fact we will get some nice adult only time as a result and you have a major winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Wow, I'm so behind I didn't know DVC was on the table. I can understand taking your time on that decision. It's something I've considered as well, and I totally get what you mean about the incentives being right...it'll all fall into place when it's meant to.

Congrats on booking the cruise! That seems like it'll be a lot of fun, and I bet the boys will love it.
It's been on the table (in my mind) for quite some time but have been waiting until we could swing it and have it really make sense. And, that just isn't QUITE yet. But hopefully not too far away. Jeff isn't totally convinced it makes sense but is onboard and Aulani may be the perfect compromise. We'll see.

I hope it will be fun, a very different kind of vacation for us and not your typical one as it won't be warm with pool time and beaches but I think it will be pretty special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
What exciting news! I've never been on any kind of cruise but have been hearing such rave reviews from Disney cruisers that I'm starting to think about it. Can't wait to hear more!
I've heard rave reviews and read enough cruise TR's on the board to really make me want to go and this just seemed to be the perfect fit for us this summer, for a number of reasons. I am very excited!

I've been on a couple of cruises in the past that were just ok so hopefully this really does blow all of that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Welcome Back - Wow - It doesn't even seem like you were gone all that long! But I haven't had quite as many emails in my inbox since you have been gone. Glad you had a great time and can't wait to hear about it and see your pics!
that's funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
As far as the Alaskan cruise - that is totally, totally awesome. What a great summer vacation. I can only hope that one day I will be taking the same cruise.
I am very excited! Luckily for us, it's just around the corner to hop on the boat. I wish it left from Seattle, that would be even better but, this works just fine. I may add the weekend before to our trip and hit Victoria for a couple of nights as the kids have never been there, and that would be a good way to hide the real details.

At the end of the day I was able to get a pretty good onboard credit through my TA which helped tip the scales in favor of going. I'll need it as I now have to get both E's a passport and the excursions are PRICEY! One week later and it would have been even less expensive but that would have meant missing school so was a no go. As it is, we get back 2 days before school starts!.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #995
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Welcome home and congratulations on the cruise. I'm not sure how much we'd like cruising, but the Disney cruise to Alaska probably has a place in our future. An Alaskan cruise is the one and only vacay-related thing my husband has ever asked for, but its something we won't do until Max is a lot older.

I'm looking to hear all about it from you.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #997
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
I'm so excited for your trip!! That's great that you get a trip with the E's without any of drama that goes with older teens and sports.
I'm a little sad as I KNOW Tay would love the scenery. But might be bored if there wasn't a good group of kids his age on board. There might be but you just never know. However, Kendall would be bored out of her mind, probably even if there were a lot her age (which is probably a bit more likely) it'd be cold and wet and just not the ideal trip for a 15 year old girl. Honestly, I wouldn't have been excited at her age either.

It was a tough thing to even contemplate to be honest. But, after the past 2 summers and 2 years of trip related drama we are a bit tired of feeling like our hands are tied and the reality is, the cruise just flat out doesn't work for more than 4. Sure, some rooms will hold 5 but with Taylor as an adult and the limited rooms at 5, it just wasn't worth thinking about, it's almost as much as 2 staterooms to just add him. 2 staterooms isn't in the cards at more than twice the price (not to mention it would split Jeff and I into 2 different rooms) just so they can possibly go at a time of year that works with sports and we are pretty positive K wouldn't be interested.

I can't imagine saving for and booking the 2 rooms and then having one or both of them bail on us.

So we have a compromise, this for the 4 of us and all of us go to Whistler and if they don't want to go to Whistler it really is ok and can be decided at the 11th hour which right now, with them, is the flexibility we need.

K will be in the midst of preseason practice so couldn't go then anyways and who knows about T. He does supposedly have a college app going in this week so could be in school by then, again, who knows.

It's still a bit sad. And exciting at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
My only memory of an Alaskan cruise that I took when I was 5 was when my 2 year old sister went missing for a few hours. My parents were completely FREAKED OUT! thinking she had gone overboard.

Turns out she was sitting warm and cozy in the Capt's Bridge eating cookies and milk.

It will be interesting to see if we lose them. Don't think the cell phone will work up there to text/track them but need to look into it. I know they are kind of locked in, in the kids club but imagine Evan may get a little more freedom than that if his behavior warrants it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Wow, an Alaskan cruise is going to be wonderful!
I hope you're doing a ptr
I'm not sure about a PTR. Right now my goal is to get this TR done before the May trip and then we will have the May TR. Looks like most folks on the cruise board just to a TR so we will see how it all plays out. I book excursions on 6/9 so the month or so before that will be a planning and deciding time for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
The cruise looks wonderful....I really would like to go on another cruise....seems like everyone around me is cruising!!!
It will be a huge change for us and interesting to see how it goes. Of course if it goes well I have my eye on the Mediterranean one.

Or maybe not, we really do like being pretty mobile and planning our own agenda versus set tours so I'm not as sure about it but I love the ports. Then again, one of those 9 hour flights with the kids sounds like pure torture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
Happy you had a wunderbar time in Germany Can't wait to hear all about it

And we are almost to double digits......just sayin'

Tracy
I had a great time in Germany. Too short.

SWEET! I didn't count so didn't realize we are almost double digits. I am SO excited for our trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty View Post
Ooh! A cruise, a cruise!!!! I am SO excited for you!!! We are planning on a Disney cruise this year as well. As part of my Accredited Cruise Counselor certification, I need to go on two more by the end of '12. OH DARN! Twist my arm! We will probably not do the Alaskan yet, unless we find a great deal on airfare because it is usually very expensive to fly from STL to the Northwest. It'll most likely be Bahamas on the new Dream, or Caribbean this fall. Have you visited the cruise boards yet?
Oh that's brutal, TWO by the end of '12. I really wanted to do the Mexican Riviera one but Jeff is pretty anti Mexico. It might have been less expensive but once you add on airfare and at least one hotel night before, probably not.

Luckily we can just drive to Vancouver however the excursions are pricey so I need to map all that out.

I've visited the boards a little, enough to give me enough info to feel good about pulling the plug and booking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
I love that video!! The cruise sounds amazing!! Can't wait to hear more about Germany too.
I'm very excited about the cruise, I think it will help us get through the summer. Germany was a lot of fun too.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #998
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
Glad you had a nice time in Germany and a big congrats on the cruise-HOW FUN
Thanks! I did and we are very excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh'smate View Post
I really thought that I had subscribed to your tr but apparently I hadn't so here I am and I am all caught up thanks to your handy dandy links. Sounds like you had a good albeit trip to Germany. Your cruise to Alaska looks like a lot of fun. I loved that little video. Donald is cute in his plaid getup.
Well...welcome again! LOL! I've done that before, thought I subscribed and didn't. Which just reinforces the point of handy dandy links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Welcome home and congratulations on the cruise. I'm not sure how much we'd like cruising, but the Disney cruise to Alaska probably has a place in our future. An Alaskan cruise is the one and only vacay-related thing my husband has ever asked for, but its something we won't do until Max is a lot older.

I'm looking to hear all about it from you.
I'm not sure how much we will like it either, it will be interesting to see. I've cruised twice. Once in HS in the Mediterranean and once out of Tampa that did the whole Mexico and NOLA route. Both were "ok" . But I was at a pretty different point in my life then and they were by no means at the Disney level of service so....we will see! I have always wanted to see Alaska though and for me this really seems the best way to do it and have a much better chance of the right adult demographic on board for Jeff and I and plenty of kids for the kids, my fear of alaska cruises has always been we'd be a lot younger than many. But it is the one cruise we've always planned on doing at some point, this just makes it a little sooner rather than later.

I guess for me, to be brutally honest, I'm trying to satisfy Jeff's desire for more exotic travel (I have it too mind you) while recognizing that ditching the kids for 2 weeks for us to go to Europe or Australia is just really really difficult right now. This seemed like a win win and was a bigger draw to him than the alternatives.

Not that I really had any lined up.

The more I read about it, the more excited I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Oooo, a cruise would be great! You're going to have a lot of fun.
I think so, I'm pretty excited...and drooling over the excursion options.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #999
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Hedging bets

As some of you may recall I had some concerns about our move to the YC. Moving to the YC meant going from 2 rooms with just our family, to 2 rooms with the addition of Paul and Sandie who would arrive later that night. It meant a lot of little logistic nightmares that had me concerned. The big ones were:
  1. One room was booked in our name and one in theirs.
  2. One child wasn’t technically booked in any room and would need to be added at check in.

What this meant, in practical terms, I wouldn’t really know until check in. We had requested connecting rooms. But, since we couldn’t check in together, who knew if that would be honored. It is only guaranteed if the only adults in the rooms are married as to not split up immediate family and make parents sleep separately.

What I did know was this.

1. I couldn’t check them in.
  2. The aforementioned child might have a rather HUGE problem getting into SAB without a room key in his name.
  3. I might not know, even at check in, what room they were in, meaning a potential very long day waiting to find out.

I’d be waiting no matter what. They were flying STANDBY! And while they’d done their homework and have darn good reasons for flying standby (namely free tickets) and had planned out which flight to catch as well as some backups, who knew how it would all play out.

So, knowing all of that, I wanted to hedge our bets as much as possible. Hedging to me, based on some very good advice on the YC/BC boards, meant getting up early, heading over to the YC to check in and then coming back to start our day.

Everyone else would sleep in while I did this. My goal had been to get there by 8. How did I do?

Not too bad all things considered. While I would have vastly preferred to skip the whole shower thing, just go check in and come back, the reality was that when I came back we ( I mean I) had a bit of an agenda to pull off and I needed to be ready for it. So I up and showered, had one cup of coffee and headed out to grab a cab. After much consulting on the YC/BC thread it became obvious that it was really the best way for what I was trying to do.
While I’m not sure what time I headed down or how long I waited for the cab, what I do know is that I posted on FB at 8:08, “Crazy loud Cuban music in the cab”.

Which it was. CRAZY loud. I needed more coffee for that. As we zipped over I wondered how this was all going to go and if I’d have a repeat of my WL online check in nightmare. Nightmare in terms of how long it took to check us in (when we were supposedly already checked in). I deliberately hadn’t done online check in for the YC, believing our chances of connecting were better if I didn’t.

Upon arrival I went up to the counter.

No line.

Nicest CM EVER. Of course, being the lame up late stuck on splash semi sleep and coffee deprived soul that I was…I don’t recall his name.

He checked us in.

Our room was READY!

Not only that but he would GUARANTEE connecting with my in laws room, even though we had NO idea what time they’d be there. He’d go ahead and assign theirs so it couldn’t be taken.

I was loving this place already. Not to mention the fact that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the lobby. Everything about it is just gorgeous and exactly what I was expecting, and then some.

Nervously I headed up to the room to check it out, the whole process had gone so quickly I figured I had time to scope it out, take pics, get a coffee and still make it back on time for my busy morning agenda. After a bit of wandering around once I got to our floor (signs being a bit confusing and me being a bit impatient, thus making wrong turns I finally found our room and opened the door.

This is what I saw.

Walking in

On the desk

Looking back

Nervously, I opened the balcony door. We had a standard view room. Standard can be any of the following views. Parking lot, roof, courtyard, quiet pool. I’d asked for quiet pool but my priority had been connecting, beyond that we’d take anything.

Looking to the right

To the left

Mission accomplished and more than a little giddy with our room location, promised connecting and view I decided not to press my luck and boogie back to the WL.

Heading down I found a much quicker way to the lobby and swung by the Crew’s Cup to check out their offerings. Which included espresso! I got an Americano to go, eyed their CS offerings for future breakfast reference and headed back to catch another cab back to WL.

I needed to get back, and quickly. If memory serves one way was faster than the other and a little bit less expensive but for the life of me I don’t recall which one. I think loud Cuban music guy may have been slightly better but at any rate both were quick, pleasant and a nice do over after the rude NO CREDIT CARD guy from our first night. Of course I did have cash so maybe that helped.

What was the rush? Well…I’ll tell you.

Check out was 11. And I had a photo session scheduled for 10:30. I also wanted to do the WL tour with Ranger Joe, which was at 9. Could I really get back, do the tour, pack up, get luggage down to be transferred and make a 10:30 photo session?

Was my family even awake?

Did Sandie and Paul make their target flight?

up next, "Honey, I think we need to go to the hospital"

Last edited by eandesmom; 01-15-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #1000
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

I'm on the edge of my seat.

Glad the YC was able to restore your faith in Disney check in magic.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back
Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #1001
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Oh that's brutal, TWO by the end of '12. I really wanted to do the Mexican Riviera one but Jeff is pretty anti Mexico. It might have been less expensive but once you add on airfare and at least one hotel night before, probably not.

Luckily we can just drive to Vancouver however the excursions are pricey so I need to map all that out.
They are! But there are some AMAZING excursions for the Alaskan cruise. Someday I will get there.

Quote:

This is what I saw.

Walking in

Gorgeous!

Quote:
Could I really get back, do the tour, pack up, get luggage down to be transferred and make a 10:30 photo session?

Was my family even awake?

Did Sandie and Paul make their target flight?

Aw girl! That is a serious cliffhanger! You better not leave us hanging too long!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:24 AM   #1002
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi Cynthia! I'm glad you are back safe and sound and had a good trip!

I'm for your new ticker! I know we spoke about it on Liesa's thread, but I'll be excited to be bringing your ship to you! We won't be in your cabin - maybe neighbors? We are in 6014 - It was a cat 8 prior to their re-categorizing - deluxe oceanview. Now it is a 9 something? We booked on points and just chose the type of cabin that fit the number of points we needed to use! IKWYM about the balcony - this will be our first non-balcony cruise, but it will be a cold one, so I don't picture myself out there much anyway.

Your YC room looks beautiful! Great location and connecting, too! I am to see how you pull off your Amazing Race this day!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #1003
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Whew! I know what a stress the YC room/check-in thing was for you prior to that morning. So glad it worked out so wonderfully!!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #1004
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Oooo...another great Cynthia cliffhanger! Can't wait 'till you write a book. Seriously.

Beautiful room....just showed your pictures to my husband and said, "Hey, we don't have to do the Cape (Cape Cod, MA) this summer...we can just stay at the YC!"
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #1005
burly
DIS Veteran

I am going to guess that yes you did get everything done! It seems to be going swimmingly so far.

KIM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: