Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #436
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Cynthia--I'm glad you ended up in those rooms, beacuse that view really is lovely. I hope you were able to really enjoy that view!

I probably would have canned all of the reservations that day in favor of cs at Flame Tree BBQ and stayed in Animal Kingdom. I can't wait to see what ya'll did.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #437
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
Cynthia--I'm glad you ended up in those rooms, beacuse that view really is lovely. I hope you were able to really enjoy that view!
We really enjoyed the view! Well Jeff and I did, it is a rather small balcony so we basically had an "adult" one and a "kid" one and the boys would read outside on the other one while we read on ours and had a drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
I probably would have canned all of the reservations that day in favor of cs at Flame Tree BBQ and stayed in Animal Kingdom. I can't wait to see what ya'll did.
That could have been a good solution but FTB was closed while we were there. I think it's one of those things where in the moment you can't actually see all the real options. I could see 2 at that point, basically try to make to Sanaa or we'd be back at WL eating at Roaring Forks which was not remotely appealing. We'd eaten at Y&YLF the previous year for lunch and while it was fine, it wasn't on the list to redo and none of the other CS options were remotely appealing. The latest ressie at Tusker had been that 7:35 one that I'd made 6 months out and so I was not remotely hopeful of just trying to walk in either there or Y&Y (which no one liked the menu at...which made no sense given their other choices but...whatever) and actually get seated.

That is one of the tough things about a party of 6, you can't wing sit down dinner as easily as you might with a smaller group. But had FTB been open it would have been viable. Not my first choice (BBQ in August heat, eating outside and all) but it would have worked and been easy! Although given how very set the clan was on Sanaa...I might not have brought it up.

Register to remove

Old 09-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #438
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Hmmm...you mentioned something about your planning this year vs. your 2009 trip. What were some of the major differences? Were you a lot more detailed this time? I pretty much have just put together a basic outline of exactly what you said, "this park, this day, these ADRS." Just curious, as I am already more than impressed with the amount you accomplished in a pretty short amount of time.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #439
TrayRene
Mouseketeer

You've managed to do everything today which is unbelievable - so I say you definitely went on EE and made Sanaa!!

I so know the "pick the battle" dilemna!!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #440
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Hmmm...you mentioned something about your planning this year vs. your 2009 trip. What were some of the major differences? Were you a lot more detailed this time? I pretty much have just put together a basic outline of exactly what you said, "this park, this day, these ADRS." Just curious, as I am already more than impressed with the amount you accomplished in a pretty short amount of time.
Well in 2009 it was K&T's first trip and we just weren't sure what they'd think, how they'd react, how much we could do, all of that. I planned around ADR's and evening EMH but that was about it. I also tried to schedule flexible time and down time.

The end result was we had a REALLY hard time getting the teens up in the morning, meaning making it late to parks at peak crowd times during President's week. I really hadn't made back up plans in the event that happened. I also found that flexible time just resulted in a bunch of "I don't know, what do you want to do" over and over and over again. The crowds were brutal and it had a rather huge impact at times. And I got VERY crabby with the teens more than once. I didn't want to repeat that (for all our sakes).

This was also a really different trip just based on the time of year. In 09 it was Feb. We didn't need mid day pool breaks from the heat. We got to the parks late...and then closed them down. For this trip, we did, or at least I needed to try to plan for those breaks. Which made for a lot of potential hopping and just more logistics to consider and map out.

The plans for this trip tried to incorporate those learning, and mid day break needs in a few different ways.

1. Identify what mornings were key and make it clear to all that if you were up cool, if not, I'd leave you there. No penalty or judgment mind you, just here are the consequences of certain decisions.

2. Have a really good feel for the options at all parks on any day if we needed to move things around.

3. Have a really food feel for what was flexible, and what was not. In this case, we had 2 very good dinner options to address how tired or not we were. I would not have done that in the past. Frowned upon or not, it gave me peace of mind and 11th hour flexibility. This day had a ton of flexibility in it. MK or not depending on how people felt, AK or not depending on how people felt, etc.

4. Have a plan for the scheduled down time. It could be thrown out the window but it became clear that the clan needed direction and a plan to start with. As you can see on this day, sometimes they really embraced it!

I also felt I had to have a more structured plan as once my in-laws arrived, they'd be seeing things for the first time but only had 4 days to there would be some re-do of things....except moving a lot slower and I actually wanted to make sure I could just relax and not care if it was slow once they got there instead of stressing that we hadn't seen things.

I did make note of key times (fireworks, parades, shows, etc) although I can honestly say for the most part we didn't look at them or have them impact any choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrayRene View Post
You've managed to do everything today which is unbelievable - so I say you definitely went on EE and made Sanaa!!

I so know the "pick the battle" dilemna!!
Picking battles is key! it was employed often during the trip.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #441
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Well in 2009 it was K&T's first trip and we just weren't sure what they'd think, how they'd react, how much we could do, all of that. I planned around ADR's and evening EMH but that was about it. I also tried to schedule flexible time and down time.

The end result was we had a REALLY hard time getting the teens up in the morning, meaning making it late to parks at peak crowd times during President's week. I really hadn't made back up plans in the event that happened. I also found that flexible time just resulted in a bunch of "I don't know, what do you want to do" over and over and over again. The crowds were brutal and it had a rather huge impact at times. And I got VERY crabby with the teens more than once. I didn't want to repeat that (for all our sakes).

This was also a really different trip just based on the time of year. In 09 it was Feb. We didn't need mid day pool breaks from the heat. We got to the parks late...and then closed them down. For this trip, we did, or at least I needed to try to plan for those breaks. Which made for a lot of potential hopping and just more logistics to consider and map out.

The plans for this trip tried to incorporate those learning, and mid day break needs in a few different ways.

1. Identify what mornings were key and make it clear to all that if you were up cool, if not, I'd leave you there. No penalty or judgment mind you, just here are the consequences of certain decisions.

2. Have a really good feel for the options at all parks on any day if we needed to move things around.

3. Have a really food feel for what was flexible, and what was not. In this case, we had 2 very good dinner options to address how tired or not we were. I would not have done that in the past. Frowned upon or not, it gave me peace of mind and 11th hour flexibility. This day had a ton of flexibility in it. MK or not depending on how people felt, AK or not depending on how people felt, etc.

4. Have a plan for the scheduled down time. It could be thrown out the window but it became clear that the clan needed direction and a plan to start with. As you can see on this day, sometimes they really embraced it!

I also felt I had to have a more structured plan as once my in-laws arrived, they'd be seeing things for the first time but only had 4 days to there would be some re-do of things....except moving a lot slower and I actually wanted to make sure I could just relax and not care if it was slow once they got there instead of stressing that we hadn't seen things.

I did make note of key times (fireworks, parades, shows, etc) although I can honestly say for the most part we didn't look at them or have them impact any choices.

Picking battles is key! it was employed often during the trip.
What a wonderfully detailed response. It sounds like many of those issues will not be issues for us, as Max is only three and is generally up around seven. But I'll try and remember your words of wisdom when he's older and I'm losing my mind.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 09-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #442
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
What a wonderfully detailed response. It sounds like many of those issues will not be issues for us, as Max is only three and is generally up around seven. But I'll try and remember your words of wisdom when he's older and I'm losing my mind.
Yeah, somehow I don't think you'll have to worry about the evening EMH!

Although given your time of year, if you can make rope drop it will help a ton.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #443
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Wow, I don't know how you guys were still standing. You are an ambitious bunch. I hope you got to ride EE and still got to eat at Sanaa.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #444
norybell
DIS Veteran

I'm going to join in with everyone else and put my money (one million imaginary Disney dollars!) on you making both EE and Sanaa. I bet the wait wasn't really 15 minutes.

Personally, I'm just impressed that you were all still awake at this point! (We all know the bus-nap doesn't count.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I'll tell you though, this entire trip really reinforced that my family likes and needs a plan and all the pre-planning and actual touring plan general outlines really served us a heck of a lot better this time than the "this park this day" approach I took in 2009.
I learned this on my last trip, too. Even though it was just me and my mom, and both of us were very relaxed and non-crabby about everything, I learned it's better when we have a more detailed plan, to avoid all that "I dunno, what do you want to do?" back and forth-ing. Besides, when I'm tired (as I usually am at WDW - tired, but happy!), I find it much easier to say no to my plan than to not have a plan in the first place! If that makes any sense?
DISNEY TRIPS: 1977 - Vacation Villas 1978-1992 - many trips, all Vacation Villas or Treehouse Villas 1996 - Saratoga Springs August 2001 - YC May 2004 - YC April 2009 - YC October 2009 - CR/YC May 2010 - POR/GF/BWI October 2010 - POR/CSR/Poly January 2011 - CBR/WL April 2011 - Pop/GF/BC May 2011 - Disneyland GCH September 2011 - Poly October 2011 - AKL January 2012 - CR February/March 2012 - POFQ/Poly August 2012 - GF/BWI May 2013 - GF/BWV Sept 2013 - BCV Sept 2014 - ???

TRIP REPORTS:Nory Report III: In the Third Person! Nory and Simba CRAWL through the World: A Sept/Oct 2013 PTR Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers It's a SO-LO trip report!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #445
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
Wow, I don't know how you guys were still standing. You are an ambitious bunch. I hope you got to ride EE and still got to eat at Sanaa.
Too ambitious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norybell View Post
I'm going to join in with everyone else and put my money (one million imaginary Disney dollars!) on you making both EE and Sanaa. I bet the wait wasn't really 15 minutes.
I'm impressed with how much faith everyone has in us!

Quote:
Personally, I'm just impressed that you were all still awake at this point! (We all know the bus-nap doesn't count.)
No, they don't count but they can be hard to recover from. Technically we were operating on a max of 4 hours of sleep over 36 hours at that point and some of us less than that.

Quote:
I learned this on my last trip, too. Even though it was just me and my mom, and both of us were very relaxed and non-crabby about everything, I learned it's better when we have a more detailed plan, to avoid all that "I dunno, what do you want to do?" back and forth-ing. Besides, when I'm tired (as I usually am at WDW - tired, but happy!), I find it much easier to say no to my plan than to not have a plan in the first place! If that makes any sense?
Exactly!

Easier to say no to the plan than to not have a plan, that is it in a nutshell. It also, for reasons that entirely escape me, makes it easier to come up with an alternative plan that suits everyone because you can understand why the original plan won't work. Whereas in the absence of a plan there is no frame of reference.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #446
MEK
DIS Veteran

I'm still 10 pages behind, but I really enjoyed your MK update. The boys looks so fab with their new haircuts and you look like you had a great couple of hours in MK, despite the numerous bio breaks (which I can relate to since I am on a mission to visit every BR in WDW).

Oh well - gotta get ready for work now. I will try to catch up later today!!!!!!

Love it that you finally made it to a park and I can't wait to see your rooms!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 09-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #447
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

A cliffhanger! You tease!

I say you went for it - there is always The Mara over at AKL if Saana won't let you in!! I hope you went for it....you can always blame Disney bus transportation.

And the big questions is...did the ride(s) wake the kids up like they said? Or were they falling asleep during dinner?
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #448
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I say you went for it too!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 09-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #449
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I'm still 10 pages behind, but I really enjoyed your MK update. The boys looks so fab with their new haircuts and you look like you had a great couple of hours in MK, despite the numerous bio breaks (which I can relate to since I am on a mission to visit every BR in WDW).

Oh well - gotta get ready for work now. I will try to catch up later today!!!!!!

Love it that you finally made it to a park and I can't wait to see your rooms!
Welcome back! We did have a great couple of hours in MK, a perfect start to the trip.

I needed the bio breaks too so it worked out just fine, and you're not all that far behind really, we are still on the same day!

psst...
I think you need a new ticker......

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
A cliffhanger! You tease!
who me?

Quote:
I say you went for it - there is always The Mara over at AKL if Saana won't let you in!! I hope you went for it....you can always blame Disney bus transportation.
I considered Mara as a fall back option

Quote:
And the big questions is...did the ride(s) wake the kids up like they said? Or were they falling asleep during dinner?
yes, that's a much bigger question isn't it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I say you went for it too!!!
interesting
Old 09-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #450
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Just to be different I'm going to say you don't ride Everest. That hungry bellies and the thought of missing supper win out

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: