Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #421
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Packing booze and wrapping it in bubble wrap? Brilliant!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 09-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #422
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

You absolutely know how to write the most engaging trip reports. Based on what I've already read here, I'm guessing you all went for it. I know I'd have a hard time passing up EE!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #423
manntra
DIS Veteran

I am thinking you ALL rode EE with time to spare to scurry over to Sanaa Dinosaur is a fun ride....I laugh the whole way through....its just good fun!!! EE of course is one of the best rides everrrrrr
Funny that is one thing that I love about AKV....they don't share buses with anyone which while everyone thinks it is soooooooo far away from all of the parks the lack of stops more than makes up for it
Looking forward to your Sanaa review....assuming you make it there

Tracy
Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #424
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Absolutely, you risked it! You came all that way, after all.

I loved the "pick your battles" thought that went through your mind. I'm so with you!

Can't wait to hear about Sanaa.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #425
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

I'm going to say you rode it! No way the kids are going to let you walk away now.

I still can't get over the fact that you got them all to AK. And falling asleep on the bus, I've been guilty of that a few times. DH absolutely love Dinosaur. I ride it one time and I'm okay.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 09-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #426
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

I think the call of The Mountain was too hard to resist....

And don't beat yourself up about the bus... WL doesn't always share with GF, I think it just depends on the time of day/year.

I feel like you were channeling the White Rabbit: "I'm late! I'm late!"

Kathy
Old 09-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #427
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
Yes! Risk is worth the reward!
Is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I say you went for it !!!!!
We shall see

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
I"m going for:

You risked it.

It IS vacation after all. It WAS EMH. And There's always Tusker or even Roaring Forks.
You think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
You made it to AK!!! Very impressive!!! You're at Everest. The Yeti is a mere 15 minutes... plus 8. Go for it!!!

(Hope you make it to Saana)
15+8 huh, I'll have to remember that.

Quote:
Backtracking on comments:

I use the balcony in my room wherever we stay, but I am there from 5 to 6 in the morning, so nobody sees me.
I would not see you. I am in bed. even if I'm trying to make rope drop.

Quote:
OCD on the bags and packing. I don't Ziploc clothes, but use a bunch of them for lotions or other small things I want to keep together. I think I have some cross-contamination issues, because I do wash the bags when I get home and put them in a special drawer I use for my travel stuff.
Impressive that you wash and reuse, I use them for toiletries that I worry bout leaking as a double protection layer and invariable something does leak so they end up getting tossed. Always. I pack extra empty ones for the trip back home so I can have clean ones.

Quote:
One more things about bags, my very favorite Disney tip of all time, and appropriate for the current location of this trip report:

I bring a Ziploc X-Large bag to AK for Kali River Rapids. We change into flip flops for this park and while in line, we toss shoes and socks, backpack, cell phones and anything else we don't want to get wet into the big bag.
I know a few others that do that. I'm mean. I just remind folks to wear flip flops, things that can get wet (and will dry) and if they still insist on tennis shoes and socks they can suck it up with wet feet. Although I did figure out an interesting new poncho trick.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #428
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Wow! What a nail biter of an update! Between wondering if K and T were actually going to stay awake to getting to the AK without a million stops and then wondering if you are going to ride Everest before going to Sanaa, I am on the edge of my seat!
It was a nail biting experience for Jeff and I! It was funny, I was SOOOO close to overriding what the group wanted several times with common sense sitting on my shoulder but was determined to roll with it since they were all so engaged. I swear, they were far more committed to sticking to the touring plan at that point than I was, I could have easily been swayed to an entirely different evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I am going to guess you took the chance and rode it. Fifteen minutes, after all, is a great wait time!
It is a great wait time! We were hoping for 5 or 10....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Go for it! Go for it! Go for it!

I hope you got to ride EE!
LOL! It's a collective egging on here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
I am impressed that everyone rallied enough to get ready and over to AK!! Dinosaur is a fun ride although I have to admit that it still scares the you know what out of me at the end even though I know what is coming!
It scares the you know what out of the E's too. I honestly don't know what it is about that ride but I am always just laughing during the whole thing.

Quote:
I was surprised at the bus sharing at WL. That escaped my planning too when I went. You'd think the deluxes could have "exclusive" buses!
I think they should! It is very inconsistent it seems, both at the YC and at WL as to where else they'd go resort wise and in the case of the YC, how many resorts. Made it hard to know how long the ride would be! Not that it really mattered.

Quote:
I'm going to guess that you went for it! Can't wait to find out. And wondering if you got K to ride.
Recurring theme here Ah K, the wildcard. She's a funny one. Does like roller coasters, as long as it's a "dark" one, aka inside so she can't gauge the height of things SM and RRC were a non-issue. Outside, high up, freaks her out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I'm caught up! Phew. You were an updating machine while I was gone.

I'm impressed that you managed to get everyone over to AK. I would have given up and gone to sleep.
Welcome home!!!!!!!!!! and aack! you started the tr....off to sub!

I actually didn't have to try hard to get them to go, they all wanted to, it just moved a bit slower than I'd hoped (though truly, not slower than usual lol).
Old 09-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #429
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

OOOH a very tasty cliffhanger, would you have a date with the Yeti or did you head over to dinner!!! I'm going to guess you tango'd with the Yeti, but I guess I will have to wait and see!!!

Impressive getting everyone up and going and heading over to AK, I'm not sure I would have had the energy!!!

Deluxe resorts sharing buses...that just makes me shake my head!! And that is why as soon as Leslie gave the okay I rented a car LOL!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 09-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #430
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
I'm going to guess that you risked it, went on EE, and made it in time for dinner at Sanaa.
that seems to be the consensus....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Packing booze and wrapping it in bubble wrap? Brilliant!
Isn't it? I wasn't brave enough to try it with a glass bottle but it was a wonderful thing! We joked that the price of the booze would have bought us a whopping 4 drinks once there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
You absolutely know how to write the most engaging trip reports. Based on what I've already read here, I'm guessing you all went for it. I know I'd have a hard time passing up EE!
Oh my goodness, thank you so much! That is so sweet what a lovely thing to read on a Sunday morning.

It would be hard to pass it up, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
I am thinking you ALL rode EE with time to spare to scurry over to Sanaa
Time to spare....hmmmnnn

Quote:
Dinosaur is a fun ride....I laugh the whole way through....its just good fun!!! EE of course is one of the best rides everrrrrr
I love them both. K definitely influences my love of Dinosaur, it's kind of "our" ride for whatever reason. And EE is just amazing, especially at night!

Quote:
Funny that is one thing that I love about AKV....they don't share buses with anyone which while everyone thinks it is soooooooo far away from all of the parks the lack of stops more than makes up for it
Looking forward to your Sanaa review....assuming you make it there

Tracy
Well yes and no, they share with each other (Jambo and Kidani) which seems pretty similar to say the BC/YC share. What I think I would love about AKL/AKV (not having stayed there yet) is how away it would seem and feel, the theming alone would make me feel very very far away...in a good way!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #431
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Absolutely, you risked it! You came all that way, after all.
We had come a LONG ways that is for sure!

Quote:
I loved the "pick your battles" thought that went through your mind. I'm so with you![
You have to, it's pointless not to and I'm generally not a fan of banging my head against the wall. And honestly at that point, if the entire evenings plans had changed, it would have been fine. I was in a weird place this trip. A good place, but a weird place. I honestly didn't care 95% of the time if we stuck to a plan or not. I did want to KNOW if we were going to change so I could come up with options but overall I didn't much care. I was going to enjoy myself regardless. In some cases I was just going to go and if folks came or not, whatever but in this instance I was the "whatever" person in the crew.

I'll tell you though, this entire trip really reinforced that my family likes and needs a plan and all the pre-planning and actual touring plan general outlines really served us a heck of a lot better this time than the "this park this day" approach I took in 2009.

That drink on the balcony was PERFECT. Not to mention I was in the midst of a really really good book and didn't mind the extra reading time.

Quote:
Can't wait to hear about Sanaa.
Assuming there is something to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
I'm going to say you rode it! No way the kids are going to let you walk away now.
Who's the boss though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
I still can't get over the fact that you got them all to AK. And falling asleep on the bus, I've been guilty of that a few times. DH absolutely love Dinosaur. I ride it one time and I'm okay.
I've been guilty of the bus head bob more than once. I remember I used to do it daily in Chicago and somehow I'd magically wake up at my stop. I lived in fear of missing it though!

K could ride it over and over for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
[SIZE="3"]I think the call of The Mountain was too hard to resist....
was it?

Quote:
And don't beat yourself up about the bus... WL doesn't always share with GF, I think it just depends on the time of day/year.
yeah, over the next few days it didn't consistently share so it was a bit confusing and once it shared with FW

Quote:
I feel like you were channeling the White Rabbit: "I'm late! I'm late!"
Oh my goodness, I was! I had this horrible fear of it being 9:30 at night and no food to be found. There is nothing worse than it being late, you are tired, but hungry and nothing is open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
OOOH a very tasty cliffhanger, would you have a
date with the Yeti or did you head over to dinner!!! I'm going to guess you tango'd with the Yeti, but I guess I will have to wait and see!!!
It was a tough call

Quote:
Impressive getting everyone up and going and heading over to AK, I'm not sure I would have had the energy!!!
well it was "early" Seattle time but we were operating on fumes at that point to be sure.

Quote:
Deluxe resorts sharing buses...that just makes me shake my head!! And that is why as soon as Leslie gave the okay I rented a car LOL!
Seriously. Even more annoying when you get to the other resort and no one gets on! It's not like WL and GF are that close to each other, FW actually makes more sense in some ways, if you have to chare. Poly and Contemporary must share I guess
Old 09-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #432
Sunset Cliffs
DIS Veteran

I seriously have a love/hate thing going on with your cliff hangers. I love them, and it makes me get so excited for your next update. But then I hate them because I can't wait for your next update. I want to know now!! It would be much easier to wait until you are done and then read the whole thing through, but I don't want to wait that long. Decisions, decision. I think I will just torture myself and stick with reading your updates when you write them.

I think you went for it, and then still made it to dinner. At least, that is what is supposed to happen on a magical trip, right? Everything goes as you want it to?? I'm seriously impressed that you made it to AK at all, considering you almost lost all of the kids to sleep at different points.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #433
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
I seriously have a love/hate thing going on with your cliff hangers. I love them, and it makes me get so excited for your next update. But then I hate them because I can't wait for your next update. I want to know now!! It would be much easier to wait until you are done and then read the whole thing through, but I don't want to wait that long. Decisions, decision. I think I will just torture myself and stick with reading your updates when you write them.
oh that's funny, well then I guess that's what they are supposed to do huh. I think Kathy is the master of the cliffhanger though. Pure torture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
I think you went for it, and then still made it to dinner. At least, that is what is supposed to happen on a magical trip, right? Everything goes as you want it to?? I'm seriously impressed that you made it to AK at all, considering you almost lost all of the kids to sleep at different points.
Tell me about it, as we were getting off the bus I REALLY thought we should go straight to dinner, get it over with and go to bed. And there were moments when I was on the balcony with that drink going WHY did I pick AK/ALK for dinner? Oh yeah...EMH and everyone wanted it. Still though, were I to do that exact itin again, with EMH and all, I think I'd pick somewhere closer for dinner. The day had been SO easy up to then. And while it's not like it was hard, it was a bit more work and time sensitive.

A big part of our problem is there wasn't anywhere we really wanted to eat that was closer! But I also knew, the later we made it, the better in the long run for us all. And it's not like anyone was complaining, more like they were convincing me they were ok and wanted to stick with the plan.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #434
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Oh goodness! I couldn't agree more about picking battles! I keep trying to explain the concept to DH, he doesn't get it!

What did you do?! My thought, you risked it and then tried to get to AKV for Sanaa! I feel like you may have ended up not making it though
Old 09-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #435
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
Oh goodness! I couldn't agree more about picking battles! I keep trying to explain the concept to DH, he doesn't get it!
He will, your kids are young still. Just wait till the teen years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
What did you do?! My thought, you risked it and then tried to get to AKV for Sanaa! I feel like you may have ended up not making it though
And therein lay our conundrum....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: