Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #1861
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Love your report about the Hard Rock and the introduction to Harry Potter World! You are getting me super excited for our trip next month! We are staying at the Portofino Bay.

I am a huge Harry Potter geek too! I have read all of the books (some a few times), read them to my kids, seen the movies. Our trip to US and Sea World was my idea and the rest of the family is complaining because we are not going to Disney this year! Sheesh!

I didn't see the answer to your "What is this" question (magically floating candles?) or clarification on the Dragons- Hungarian Horntail and Norweigan Ridgeback, I believe. Woops- just checked my universal guide. The dragons are the Hungarian Horntail and the Chinese Fireball.

Looking forward to hearing more of your "Dark Side Adventures!"
Old 06-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #1862
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

WWoHP looks AMAZING! But the crowds are pretty scary.
Staying onsite seems to be completely worth it.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #1863
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
WWoHP looks amazing. Except for those crowds of course.

Someday I will go back. They have added the mummy ride and WWoHP since we have visited last.
The mummy ride is GREAT! We really enjoyed that one. I was very glad I'd prepared for the crowds and for being able to go back another day. One day, staying offsite would have stressed me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Sorry that Eric got sick...poor guy. Your room looks lovely.
It was a lovely room, and resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Those are some crowds at WWoHP. We've not been to Universal since 2004 when we went with Andy for his high school graduation (he and his then gf went to IOA and Mark and I hung out in the old park).
IOA is a great park all around in my opinion, lots of rides we really really like. I'll admit, we enjoyed Universal a lot more than I thought we would. It's not Disney and of the 2 I'll take IOA but we had a great day at US as well, as you will see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhinn89 View Post
I just found your trip report! I so far have only read the first paragraph and I am already hooked! I am super excited to read this trip report becaue for my brithday this year we are going to disney and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan so I really can't wait to see it.
Very fun, that sounds like a great birthday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Hi Cynthia! Love seeing the HRH! The pool makes me want to head over to the dark side, but it probably won't happen. I felt so bad for poor Eric - I'm glad he was able to recover pretty quickly - you got some beautiful night shots of your view!
It's a very pretty resort, I really enjoyed it. My only real complaint was no balcony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Wow the HP area looks great. I'm not a HP fan either, and I don't know what you are referring to - but I can see how you can just immerse yourself in the theme! Were the crowds deterring you from rides, or just shops It seems strange that there was such a crush at shops and restaurants so early in the day.
The shops and restaurants are as much of an attraction as the rides themselves, hugely present in all the books and movies. Some people go to WWOHP to see just those and don't do the rides, there are actually only 3 rides in the area and one official show, the rest is shops (technically 5 I think plus carts), one restaurant and one pub. People wait in line until midnight for the new release of the books, openings of the movies etc, it's that popular and so the park pulls in all those people and it's very much about experiencing the whole area, the ambiance of it all.

The crowds didn't really deter us all that much, we did what we wanted to do for that visit and didn't feel the need to go into the shops, with the crowds that were there as we knew we'd be back.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #1864
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Great info and pics of the HP stuff. Will admit I have never read a book or seen a movie.....Avery will probably want to get into it soon..Hoping we can wait a few years and lessen the crowds to check it out.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #1865
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Love the HP pics. Just asked the family if they want a day at Universal. They said no. Works for me but I did use to love Universal as a kid.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 06-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #1866
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

HP world looks amazing, especially if you're a big fan of the books. One of my colleagues went down over Christmas just so see it. The crowds look crazy, though. But how neat to have something like that come to life!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 06-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #1867
MEK
DIS Veteran

I loved reading about Harry Potter. Great update! I read it yesterday. That's so great that you got two rides in so quickly. But then after that the way you describe the crowds does not sound fun.

I always liked the dueling dragon coasters. I think that was the first upside coaster I had done in such a long time. It was also the first one that Nick ever road when he was about 7 or 8 and he loved it. Front row rocks!

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your day.

OH - and the wands look super cool. I don't know a lot about Harry Potter, but I bet its such a cool experience for a die hard fan!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #1868
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Great Report on HP !!!Explain in careful detail to me the Harry Potter Ride !!I am hoping I can attempte this !!!Roller coasters are out but I LOVE Soarin, Haunted Mansion so I am thinking I would be Ok!!We have asked for a Free Trip there next year!!!
I think you'd be ok, here is more info.

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey utilizes KUKA robocoaster technology, which allows the seats to pivot while being held above the track by a robotic arm. However, the ride is not a roller coaster but a scenic dark ride. The experience includes scenes such as flying around Hogwarts castle, encountering the Whomping Willow and a horde of Dementors, and being caught in a Quidditch match. The ride performs such movements as dropping, spinning around, twisting and turning. The ride does not ever go upside down, though there are a few moments when riders are flat on their backs. Over-the-shoulder bars are used to secure guests in their seats, and there is a single metal bar shaped somewhat like a parabola which gives guests something to grip. At the conclusion of the ride, guests exit into "Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods" gift shop. Universal Express Plus is not available for this attraction at this time, but it does offer a Single Rider queue.

To enter the ride, guests walk through the gates of Hogwarts and begin their journey in the dungeons where they see familiar items from both the movies and books. First, they enter through the castle doors and go to the lockers. Riders will then queue up outside in the green house and then enter the back castle doors. Fans will recognize such objects as the Mirror of Erised, the Hogwarts House Jewels, and talking portraits, and, as they proceed throughout the hallways, encounter various recreations of the rooms of Hogwarts castle, including the Headmaster's office, the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom and the Gryffindor common room. In the Headmaster's office, Professor Dumbledore extends a warm welcome to all Muggles, informing them that Professor Binns is hosting a lecture on the history of the school. Visitors move on, to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom where Harry, Ron, and Hermione appear from under the Invisibility Cloak, urging guests instead to meet them in the Room of Requirement in order to sneak everyone down to a Quidditch match. Ron tries to perform a magic trick which goes wrong, resulting in one of several special effects to occur, such as snow falling down on visitors. Before continuing on, visitors receive a safety reminder from both the Sorting Hat as well as several paintings in the next two rooms.

Next, riders board an "enchanted bench" inside of the Room of Requirement, which lifts off the ground and through the Floo Network to take them on a journey with Harry. The ride combines real sets and audio animatronics with segments that utilize wrap-around projection screens.

The ride begins with a dousing of Floo Powder from Hermione, who asks the guests to say, "Observatory" in order to successfully transport them to their desired location, and the enchanted bench flies off through the Floo Network to the Astronomy Tower. The guests then come out of the Astronomy Tower's fireplace into a set of the Observatory itself, where they look out through the open arches to the hills and lake right outside of Hogwarts' bounds. As the guests fly out of one of the Observatory's arches, the ride smoothly switches to a wrap-around projection screen and they follow Harry Potter and Ron Weasley around Hogwarts' buildings and towers to their Quidditch match. As Harry and Ron travel under a bridge, Hagrid yield the riders and asks them if they have seen a dragon. As Harry redirects the riders' attentions back to their journey, Hagrid's new pet Hungarian Horntail Dragon (which he lost, as per rumors told by the paintings and 'students' alike) ironically begins to chase the riders. The bench flies out of the projection screen and into into a set of the uneven bridge that runs over the valley behind Hogwarts and, after falling out of a hole in the floor of the bridge, encounter an audio-animatronic dragon, which breathes false fire at them.

The riders descend into a set of the Forbidden Forest, where they encounter a figure of the large acromantula, Aragog, who spits fake venom (water) at them. As Hermione attempts to help the riders away from the acromantulas (using Arrania Exumai) and towards the castle (encountering many spiders on the way), they encounter an audio-animatronic Whomping Willow which swipes at them, conveniently knocking them into the Quidditch pitch. The ride once again returns to a projection screen as the riders become caught up in Harry's and Ron's game of Quidditch (which is tied). As Slytherin scores into Gryffindor's goal, Dementors begin to arrive at the Quidditch pitch, and Harry attempts to lead the riders away through the structure of the Pitch and back to the school, but their bench falls into the long-abandoned Chamber of Secrets through the hole through which Harry, Ron, Ginny, Fawkes, and Gilderoy Lockhart escaped in the second Harry Potter installment. The riders return to a real set as the Dementors pop out of the pipelines at them and chase them. The skeleton of the long-deceased Basilisk (killed near the climax of Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets) lies on the floor of the Chamber, and expels Lord Voldemort's Dark Mark into the air as the benches are drawn hazily into the mouth of Salazar Slytherin's statue.

Many Dementors emerge from the darkness while one descends and attempts to suck out the rider's souls. This effect is achieved by projecting the rider's faces onto a cloud of fog in front of the Dementor, blasting cold air towards the riders, and using a deep heart-beat played through the sub-woofers within the benches themselves. After shaking the riders out of the trance, Harry causes the Dementors to flee by using the protective Patronus charm.

After the final Dementor and while Harry uses his Patronus, the riders are thrust back into the final video dome segment, where the cliffs outside of the Chamber of Secrets begin to cave in. They fly over the Black Lake, back into Hogwarts and through the Main Hall and Moving Staircase, where they are cheered on by a series of on-screen characters from the movies made to appear three-dimensional using the "squenching" perspective technique. Professor Dumbledore sends everyone back through the Floo Network to the Room of Requirement, where they exit their bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Great report on WWOHP. I'm (finally) reading the HP series now...in the middle of the Order of the Phoenix and I can really picture what everything looks like. I get a free 1 day pass to Universal through work (my company bought NBC/Universal this year) and I need to set up a time to go see WWHOP.

Jill in CO
You must go! If for no other reason than that but there are some other really great rides in the park as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Love your report about the Hard Rock and the introduction to Harry Potter World! You are getting me super excited for our trip next month! We are staying at the Portofino Bay.
I will have a mini report on Portofino. With the US resorts you can pool hop so we hung out there on our last day. It is a gorgeous hotel and the pool Or at least one of them, there is more than one lol. Staying onsite at US is very different than Disney (with the exception of Monorail and Epcot resorts) as you can walk to both parks, or take the boat, or a pedicab! Literally 10 minutes to citywalk and parks.

Quote:
I am a huge Harry Potter geek too! I have read all of the books (some a few times), read them to my kids, seen the movies. Our trip to US and Sea World was my idea and the rest of the family is complaining because we are not going to Disney this year! Sheesh!
Once they see it, they won't complain!

Quote:
I didn't see the answer to your "What is this" question (magically floating candles?) or clarification on the Dragons- Hungarian Horntail and Norweigan Ridgeback, I believe. Woops- just checked my universal guide. The dragons are the Hungarian Horntail and the Chinese Fireball.

Looking forward to hearing more of your "Dark Side Adventures!"
Very good on the candles! I was wondering when someone would get it (crummy picture). Ahh...the Chinese Fireball. I was totally going from memory and knew I was off on the red one but too lazy to look. There is a lot more to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
WWoHP looks AMAZING! But the crowds are pretty scary.
Staying onsite seems to be completely worth it.
Given that it only opened in June, onsite was totally worth it. Will it be better as time goes on? I have no idea but I'd expect crowds to be big during the typical seasons (summer, holidays etc) but if you can go off season, probably not too bad.

If we go in Dec/Jan 2012 I'm not sure we will stay onsite and it will be interesting to see how that works out.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #1869
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Cynthia I will give it a try !!As long as I don't go upside down or drop drastically, I can handle it !!The spinning has me a little nervous though !!But I have to try it once !!!This could be the most daring Rosie getsI am not fond of Test Track but will do it !! The burst of speed is what gets me !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 06-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #1870
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

enjoyed the updates...but i have to ask, having never read the books, and only watching the first movie.

is there real butterbeer in the movies? i thought the kids were younger like school age through the whole thing?

am i missing something.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 06-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #1871
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
enjoyed the updates...but i have to ask, having never read the books, and only watching the first movie.

is there real butterbeer in the movies? i thought the kids were younger like school age through the whole thing?

am i missing something.
Yep, they drink butterbeer in Hogsmeade. In one of the books, they say its not very strong.

Jill in CO
Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #1872
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

Quote:
Yep, they drink butterbeer in Hogsmeade. In one of the books, they say its not very strong.

Jill in CO
is it actually an alcohol?

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 06-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #1873
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
Great info and pics of the HP stuff. Will admit I have never read a book or seen a movie.....Avery will probably want to get into it soon..Hoping we can wait a few years and lessen the crowds to check it out.
I imagine over time the crowds will go down. Not likely this summer with the 2nd Deathly Hallows opening but maybe by summer of 2012?

It's pretty cool by itself but I imagine if you've not read the books or seen the movie some of it would be so out of context it wouldn't make sense. What is so cute is seeing people dressed up in hogwarts robes, with harry glasses and the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Love the HP pics. Just asked the family if they want a day at Universal. They said no. Works for me but I did use to love Universal as a kid.
well, not traveling makes it easier for sure but it really is an amazing experience if you are a fan at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
HP world looks amazing, especially if you're a big fan of the books. One of my colleagues went down over Christmas just so see it. The crowds look crazy, though. But how neat to have something like that come to life!
I bet it would be really cool over Christmas, I'd love to see how they tie in some of the parts from the books, interesting things always happened over Christmas break! I can only imagine the crowds at that time...
Old 06-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #1874
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I loved reading about Harry Potter. Great update! I read it yesterday. That's so great that you got two rides in so quickly. But then after that the way you describe the crowds does not sound fun.
I was thrilled about the back to back FJ!

Quote:
I always liked the dueling dragon coasters. I think that was the first upside coaster I had done in such a long time. It was also the first one that Nick ever road when he was about 7 or 8 and he loved it. Front row rocks!

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your day.
It is still one of my very favorite coasters! Vastly improved though with the new queue.

Quote:
OH - and the wands look super cool. I don't know a lot about Harry Potter, but I bet its such a cool experience for a die hard fan!
The wands are cool, Eric is pretty stinkin cute with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Cynthia I will give it a try !!As long as I don't go upside down or drop drastically, I can handle it !!The spinning has me a little nervous though !!But I have to try it once !!!This could be the most daring Rosie getsI am not fond of Test Track but will do it !! The burst of speed is what gets me !!!
I don't recall the spinning as being that bad BUT I don't get motion sickness so I'm probably not the best judge. Jeff is very anti spinning though (a teacup hater) and he loved it, if that helps.

Quote:

am i missing something.
There is butterbeer in the movies and in the books. You can only get it at The Three Broomsticks and Hogs Head in the books and movies (the restaurant and pub in Hogsmeade).

Quote:

Jill in CO
Quote:
is it actually an alcohol?
I can't say for sure if there is in the books, it's a bit deliberately silent on the topic. There isn't any alchohol in the park version. It comes in 2 versions at the park, frozen or regular. It is basically a butterscotch cream soda. And frozen...it's delicious! The regular is ok.

There is regular beer at the Hogs Head as well but none at the carts.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #1875
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

I can't say for sure if there is in the books, it's a bit deliberately silent on the topic. There isn't any alchohol in the park version. It comes in 2 versions at the park, frozen or regular. It is basically a butterscotch cream soda. And frozen...it's delicious! The regular is ok.

There is regular beer at the Hogs Head as well but none at the carts.
I guess I always thought of it like Root Beer only more butterscotchy. I think since the kids were my kids' ages and since we arent big drinkers (and beer? ) that is where my mind went.

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: