Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #1846
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Uh oh, the Whomping Willow and the only child brave enough to go on the Dragon Challenge with Jeff and I

Hagrids Hut

Eric seems a little nervous

Entering the gates for the challenge

I guess that makes us champions

Look! We won!

Can anyone guess what these are?

You have to pick your dragon (Norwegian blue hornback or ??? something redtail/ridge) I forget, I bet someone else will remember)

These folks were trying to pound there butter beer before heading in

At this point the camera went away. With our Front of the Line Passes we whisked right in. We did elect to wait for the front and that added a little bit of time but all told it was about 30 minutes including the wait for the front. Which is TOTALLY worth it. Despite his nervousness, Eric loved loved loved it!

The colored tracks indicate your dragon

I think I have better pictures of the ride itself later but it’s a great rollercoaster!!

Coming out it appeared the crowds were even worse. It was now 10:30

We wanted to go in here but couldn’t deal with the crowds

Same thing here

Forget the butterbeer (for now)

We did want to visit here

And get at least one picture with some of the gang, Evan already sporting his new dobby shirt.

And with that we left Harry and friends, hoping to be back soon. Where would we go next? Our lunch reservations weren't until 1:30. It was time to do a little exploring in the Islands of Adventure…..

Whack a Mole

Last edited by eandesmom; 06-25-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #1847
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

WOW! Those crowds are insane! I think I'd have suffered some severe claustrophia in there! But your pictures are great! Really the theming is so amazing even for someone having only seen the first movie and never having read the books. Such an other-worldly look to it all.

That is crazy about the lockers... wierd.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #1848
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

I am such a Harry Potter fan, I can't wait to see it someday. Tell me more about Forbidden journey. As it is I'm too chicken for rock n roller coaster, expedition everest or mission space. Could i survive this ride? At a minimum, know I want to explore the queue!

Hope E's wand has served him well! A

Looking forward to more!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #1849
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
WOW! Those crowds are insane! I think I'd have suffered some severe claustrophia in there! But your pictures are great! Really the theming is so amazing even for someone having only seen the first movie and never having read the books. Such an other-worldly look to it all.

That is crazy about the lockers... wierd.
The crowds that day were everything I'd read about and dreaded them to be. I was SO grateful for staying onsite, having the extra hour early access and the front of the line pass it wasn't even funny. It completely saved the day. I can't imagine it otherwise.

It is such a magical area, it's hard to capture. They did an AMAZING job with the theming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
I am such a Harry Potter fan, I can't wait to see it someday. Tell me more about Forbidden journey. As it is I'm too chicken for rock n roller coaster, expedition everest or mission space. Could i survive this ride? At a minimum, know I want to explore the queue!
Oh the FJ is simply amazing! We all went on it and Sandie and Paul can't do coasters either. I really do think you could survive it. You'll be so amazed and mesmerized you won't have time to freak out. Paul and Sandie LOVED it. We all went on it again, immediately.

This is a pretty good description of the experience without giving too much away. Every time I rode it, I saw new things.

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey utilizes KUKA robocoaster technology, which allows the seats to pivot while being held above the track by a robotic arm. However, the ride is not a roller coaster but a scenic dark ride. The experience includes scenes such as flying around Hogwarts castle, encountering the Whomping Willow and a horde of Dementors, and being caught in a Quidditch match. The ride performs such movements as dropping, spinning around, twisting and turning. The ride does not ever go upside down, though there are a few moments when riders are flat on their backs. Over-the-shoulder bars are used to secure guests in their seats, and there is a single metal bar shaped somewhat like a parabola which gives guests something to grip. At the conclusion of the ride, guests exit into "Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods" gift shop.[3][5] Universal Express Plus is not available for this attraction at this time,[6] but it does offer a Single Rider queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Hope E's wand has served him well! A

Looking forward to more!
It did and it has! We sent it up to the front for pick up so we didn't have to cart it around, along with the shirts and I think a beer mug for my dad, a bday present for Eric's best friend. It will make more appearances in the TR and often shows up around the house when you least expect it. It attempts many a spell, most notably Accio, Expelliarmus, and Lumos.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #1850
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Dueling Dragons was/is the only rollercoaster that is a front seat must for me!

Quote:
KUKA robocoaster technology
I *believe* that is the same technology that is used for the Sum of All Thrills at Epcot.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #1851
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Wow!! Those crowds are ridiculous!

Great to see all the Harry Potter pix; I don't get to read to many reports from the "other" park!

Kathy
Old 06-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #1852
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Wow! It looks really awesome! Except for the crowds...I wonder if they'll die down in a year or so? Yeah, probably not.

That's great that you were able to get 2 rides in on Forbidden Journey before 9:30.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #1853
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Wow - The Harry Potter area looks amazing but sooo crowded. I'm really worried about how the boys will handle that in April. Our school vacation week is later than most others and we'll probably be there toward the end of the week so hopefully it won't be that bad.

Did you notice if it was busier on Saturday & Sunday with locals than it was on Friday?

Our plan is to stay in our off-site villa so DBIL & family can join us for the Universal part of our trip but the special access you got by staying on-site seem so tempting...
Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #1854
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

WWoHP looks amazing. Except for those crowds of course.

Someday I will go back. They have added the mummy ride and WWoHP since we have visited last.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Old 06-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #1855
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Sorry that Eric got sick...poor guy. Your room looks lovely.

Those are some crowds at WWoHP. We've not been to Universal since 2004 when we went with Andy for his high school graduation (he and his then gf went to IOA and Mark and I hung out in the old park).
Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #1856
wdhinn89
DIS Veteran

I just found your trip report! I so far have only read the first paragraph and I am already hooked! I am super excited to read this trip report becaue for my brithday this year we are going to disney and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan so I really can't wait to see it.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #1857
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi Cynthia! Love seeing the HRH! The pool makes me want to head over to the dark side, but it probably won't happen. I felt so bad for poor Eric - I'm glad he was able to recover pretty quickly - you got some beautiful night shots of your view!

Wow the HP area looks great. I'm not a HP fan either, and I don't know what you are referring to - but I can see how you can just immerse yourself in the theme! Were the crowds deterring you from rides, or just shops It seems strange that there was such a crush at shops and restaurants so early in the day.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #1858
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
Dueling Dragons was/is the only rollercoaster that is a front seat must for me!
It is a must and absolutely worth the wait. Which, with our pass, wasn't that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
I *believe* that is the same technology that is used for the Sum of All Thrills at Epcot.
I still haven't done SOAT! That makes it a must do next time, I've just got to make that one happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Wow!! Those crowds are ridiculous!

Great to see all the Harry Potter pix; I don't get to read to many reports from the "other" park!
No, not many people go to the dark side (or admit it lol). It's kind of funny. Fortunately I'd expected the crowds and was prepared or it could have been a bit of a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Wow! It looks really awesome! Except for the crowds...I wonder if they'll die down in a year or so? Yeah, probably not.
Well, day of the week and time of year makes a HUGE difference as you'll see, it changed quite a bit just over the 3 days we were there and I know a month later were even more different. I would still expect summer to be pretty awful though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
That's great that you were able to get 2 rides in on Forbidden Journey before 9:30.
I was thrilled with that and the dueling dragons. Bummed we didn't really get to do the shops and such (though we did a lot of damage at Filches and the wand cart) but I knew we'd be back either later that day (Crowds die down late at night) or 2 days later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Wow - The Harry Potter area looks amazing but sooo crowded. I'm really worried about how the boys will handle that in April. Our school vacation week is later than most others and we'll probably be there toward the end of the week so hopefully it won't be that bad.

I would imagine they have something comparable to a GAC, I'd look into it.

Quote:
Did you notice if it was busier on Saturday & Sunday with locals than it was on Friday?
It was a LOT better on Sunday than the Friday. You'll see the difference in pictures when we get there. I think the difference was tourists as folks headed out on Sat for schools that started that Monday. I also know just 3 weeks or so later it was a ton better for Rebecca (sleepingbooty) who was staying at WDW and just did a day trip over. Outside of HP, for the most part, crowds were not bad at all.

Quote:
Our plan is to stay in our off-site villa so DBIL & family can join us for the Universal part of our trip but the special access you got by staying on-site seem so tempting...
You can buy the pass but it won't get you in the hour early, and it will be just one "front of the line" pass per ride I think. As it doesn't work on the FJ, I'm not sure it's worth it to buy for just WWOHP (would be good for one dueling dragon) but for some rides like Spiderman, and Hulk, that pass was golden for us as you will see.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #1859
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Great Report on HP !!!Explain in careful detail to me the Harry Potter Ride !!I am hoping I can attempte this !!!Roller coasters are out but I LOVE Soarin, Haunted Mansion so I am thinking I would be Ok!!We have asked for a Free Trip there next year!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 06-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #1860
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Great report on WWOHP. I'm (finally) reading the HP series now...in the middle of the Order of the Phoenix and I can really picture what everything looks like. I get a free 1 day pass to Universal through work (my company bought NBC/Universal this year) and I need to set up a time to go see WWHOP.

Jill in CO

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: