Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #1711
Sunset Cliffs
DIS Veteran

I was so impressed with you going off-schedule and taking the train ride. When you said the train broke down, I instantly felt that panic feeling for you. That is the worst!! I hate feeling trapped like that, with no way to solve the problem. I remember following the mob out of AK behind the parade in the middle of summer and it was the worst feeling. Hot & trapped.

I'm so proud of you for still going on the ride anyway, even though you knew you were running late.

BTW - I love the idea of a a "never done" morning. You would feel a sense of accompishment, no matter what you did.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #1712
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
I was so impressed with you going off-schedule and taking the train ride. When you said the train broke down, I instantly felt that panic feeling for you. That is the worst!! I hate feeling trapped like that, with no way to solve the problem. I remember following the mob out of AK behind the parade in the middle of summer and it was the worst feeling. Hot & trapped.

I'm so proud of you for still going on the ride anyway, even though you knew you were running late.

BTW - I love the idea of a a "never done" morning. You would feel a sense of accompishment, no matter what you did.
Alison!!!!! Nice to see you How is that beautiful little boy?

Yeah, trapped is NOT a good feeling at all. Parades will definitely do that and push us over the edge as well.

We really needed that ride, it was the right thing to do, late or not. The never done morning was wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #1713
MEK
DIS Veteran

I'm not really sure how I completely missed this update. But I did!

So it was heat stroke! Not surprising. I'm sure I saw a heat stroke emergency the last time I was there during the summer. Well, I didn't exactly see the person, but I saw the medics coming straight through the race car track at MK with a stretcher. They must have all times of secret entrances to all the parks.

I'm so glad the CM was entertaining while you were waiting. That makes the wait that much more tolerable.

I love your queue pictures. I have never taken any pictures back there. I guess I am too worried about getting my rain poncho on before the ride starts. Good for you for going for the plunge - literally. But I am sure those wet clothes did not make for a comfortable afternoon.

I say everyone makes lunch, but I'm kind-of wondering if you scrap the tea.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #1714
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

I didn't make it over to AK on the last trip, I have done Rafiki's a couple of times mostly for characters and only in January not sure I would want to do the wait in the summer heat....we will see what happens coming up.

I have to totally agree with you, when you are running late EVERYTHING seems to slow down to make things later!! Good for you guys for riding Kali and enjoying every minute of it!!!!

Can't wait to find out the endings to this tale...

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 05-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #1715
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Morning Cynthia !!I am trying to catch up on all my threads today before I go to work and I figured it out I don't need to work much today at all to make my 80 hours for the 2 weeks
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 05-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #1716
Sandy321
Crazy enough to want to do another Half Marathon!
If it were all about me? - I'd go with the Princesses!!

Cynthia!!

I probably need to start at the beginning - today is a perfect day to curl up with the computer and get caught up!

But for now I need to run (literally - plus there is a thunderstorm for the PM here - )

Love the pictures from AK - sad there is only my imagination for the drowned rat pictures!!
Old 05-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #1717
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I'm not really sure how I completely missed this update. But I did!
No worries, a lot of folks did, it's been slow over here. I need to get to the rest of the day but was kind of waiting since it had been so slow (which probably made it more slow lol). Update later today most likely since the rain will ruin my yardwork plans

Quote:
So it was heat stroke! Not surprising. I'm sure I saw a heat stroke emergency the last time I was there during the summer. Well, I didn't exactly see the person, but I saw the medics coming straight through the race car track at MK with a stretcher. They must have all times of secret entrances to all the parks.

I'm so glad the CM was entertaining while you were waiting. That makes the wait that much more tolerable.
That was her guess and it must have been severe if they brought in an actual ambulance although I guess that's the only way out if you can't take the train. She was great.

Quote:
I love your queue pictures. I have never taken any pictures back there. I guess I am too worried about getting my rain poncho on before the ride starts. Good for you for going for the plunge - literally. But I am sure those wet clothes did not make for a comfortable afternoon.

I say everyone makes lunch, but I'm kind-of wondering if you scrap the tea.
Well they are pictures but not of much. I never take them either as I want to make sure the camera is well packed for protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
I didn't make it over to AK on the last trip, I have done Rafiki's a couple of times mostly for characters and only in January not sure I would want to do the wait in the summer heat....we will see what happens coming up.
They do have cute characters! You are good about getting those pics, I need to work on that, wish I'd have gotten at least one more but I never felt like standing in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
I have to totally agree with you, when you are running late EVERYTHING seems to slow down to make things later!! Good for you guys for riding Kali and enjoying every minute of it!!!!

Can't wait to find out the endings to this tale...
We needed Kali! It was a great reset button

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Morning Cynthia !!I am trying to catch up on all my threads today before I go to work and I figured it out I don't need to work much today at all to make my 80 hours for the 2 weeks
Hi Rosie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy321 View Post
Cynthia!!

I probably need to start at the beginning - today is a perfect day to curl up with the computer and get caught up!

But for now I need to run (literally - plus there is a thunderstorm for the PM here - )

Love the pictures from AK - sad there is only my imagination for the drowned rat pictures!!
Hi Sandy!

We were SOAKED and the white blouse had definitely lost its nice crispness that I'd hoped would carry me from AK to the Tea....

and no worries about catching up, I've got days to go on this TR still, just glad you are here

and have a great run
Old 05-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #1718
Sunset Cliffs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Alison!!!!! Nice to see you How is that beautiful little boy?

Yeah, trapped is NOT a good feeling at all. Parades will definitely do that and push us over the edge as well.

We really needed that ride, it was the right thing to do, late or not. The never done morning was wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know, I have not been on the Dis very consistently at all lately. I'm hoping to change that starting soon! Dylan is doing great. I don't know if you saw on FB but he broke his wrist a couple of weeks ago. He fell off monkey bars at the playground, cried, then played soccer for an hour so we didn't think it was broken. I took him to the dr. the next day & his wrist was fractured in 2 places. He is a tough little kid. We have the cast for probably 2 more weeks, then we'll see. So sad to see your kid hurt like that.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #1719
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
I know, I have not been on the Dis very consistently at all lately. I'm hoping to change that starting soon! Dylan is doing great. I don't know if you saw on FB but he broke his wrist a couple of weeks ago. He fell off monkey bars at the playground, cried, then played soccer for an hour so we didn't think it was broken. I took him to the dr. the next day & his wrist was fractured in 2 places. He is a tough little kid. We have the cast for probably 2 more weeks, then we'll see. So sad to see your kid hurt like that.

I haven't been on FB consistently, I definitely missed that! Evan had a similar thing happen in 1st or 2nd grade. We thought he'd just jammed his finger playing foursquare and waited for it to calm down. 2 weeks later I finally took him in...fractured pinky finger!

Poor baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #1720
KatMark
DIS Veteran

So glad you got to ride Kali...it is a favorite of mine (DH never wants to ride it though).

I'm not sure which park is hotter -- AK or the Studios??? To me they can both be brutal.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #1721
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
So glad you got to ride Kali...it is a favorite of mine (DH never wants to ride it though).

I'm not sure which park is hotter -- AK or the Studios??? To me they can both be brutal.
For me, AK but I think that's just b/c we seem to find more inside things to duck into quickly at the Studios. Not to mention the fact that this trip we got drenched at the studios, not once but twice. That said...for the WDW part of this trip, F! was by FAR the hottest, most miserable thing we did in the august heat. So I guess if I think about it that way, the Studios win, and it was 10pm at night. UGH

Jeff and I were just talking about this today, and my sister and I last night.

We've been considering an August 2012 trip with my entire side of the family as it's what works best with kids schedule and late august is better rates and my dad really wants to go to both WDW and WWOHP. But...we aren't terribly thrilled about August in general.

So, as of last night, if my sister and I get our way we will be going for Christmas/New Years in 2012 instead! We'd all rather do that. If we are going to pay premium rates, it might as well be at a new time of year than in July which will be just as miserable as August!

Fingers crossed that the rest of the clan buys into it, I'm uber excited about the idea!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #1722
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Tea for Three

It might have been a long cab ride but as payment for our wait we were treated to one of my favorite cab drivers ever, at WDW. I’m not sure what it was about this guy. He had a good mood that was seriously infectious and was just downright fun to talk to.

Arriving at DTD we found our crew already seated at the Rainforest Café. A quick seat swap and the girls were off. I honestly thought bout skipping food but K and Sandie needed to eat so off we went to WPE. Thankfully the line wasn’t bad and we got our food pretty darn quick. Given how rushed we were, I didn’t take a single picture. Next to Sandie and Kendall I REALLY looked like a drowned rat, both looked very pretty, all dressed up for the tea. I was still a bit chilled as I wasn't quite dry yet but, it was getting better. For the life of me I’m not sure what I had, it might have been the greek salad and I think for some reason (of all things) K got mac and cheese. Whatever it was, we all really really liked it. We kept it light, knowing there would be some food with our tea but needing more than that would provide.

Food inhaled (it would have been really nice to linger and enjoy but we were uber short on time) we headed out to the GF bus stop.

And waited, and waited and waited. Which often seems to be the case at DTD. Not really a surprise but still a bit annoying.

Finally we decided we’d grab a poly or contemporary bus, whichever came first, and then hop the monorail as we were starting to stress a bit. So we did. Which….was probably not the best idea. Switching to the Monorail at the contemporary seemed to take longer than I’d have expected. Needless to say, we were late. I’m not sure how late but…late. I can’t recall if we were in that 15 minute window but somehow I think not. Luckily it didn’t seem to be a problem when we checked in. We waited maybe another 15 minutes and then were seated.

Sandie was just eating the whole thing up, all dressed up and out for something girly with Kendall

Soon, we placed our order

Sandie and I ordered the same thing

The Grand Tea - The classic English tradition of Afternoon Tea, Grand Floridian style. We offer you a variety of tea sandwiches, scones and jam tarts, followed by your choice of our freshly baked tea pastries or English trifle, accompanied by a glass of Domaine Ste.-Michelle sparkling wine and your choice of tea. $25.50 per guest

We chose different teas.

For me: Lemon Verbena - Naturally caffeine-free, a refreshing infusion of lemon verbena, lemongrass, lemon balm, and lemon peel; a favorite during the summertime

For Sandie: Princess Breakfast Tea - A sweet custom blend of South African organic rooibos flavored with vanilla bean and a hint of strawberries. Rich in antioxidants and vitamins, and naturally decaffeinated.

Kendall chose this offering

Lemon Pound Cake

I think this is the tea she chose but am not positive. She’s not much of a tea fan but got it, I think to please Grandma and see if she’d like it.

Mad Hatter - A blend of passion fruit, pomegranate, and vanilla for a clean and sweet finish. Perfect with decadent desserts and companions.

Soon, our tea and bubbly arrived, Sandie was pretty excited about the latter.

I love the presentation

Tea sandwiches, tarts, etc.

These two didn’t seem to sure about whatever was going on at that moment

But whatever it was, it must have been funny. Somehow I think it involved pretending to be very proper English ladies.

It was starting to clear out (about 4:30 by now)

They were still cracking up

So pretty!

The food was delish and both Sandie and I loved our teas (and bubbly). With our “dessert” or last course, they brought us roses. Sandie has a habit of having her eyes closed in most pictures so while I try to avoid those…this is the best rose shot. LOL.

Somehow, and it was a lovely surprise, we were able to “trade” the option of trifle or pastry, for strawberries and cream.

As some of you may recall, Kendall is a big fan of the self portrait and wanted to test out her skills at the tea. It’s pretty amusing!

After each of these we’d laugh and laugh at Sandie’s expression. K was determined to get a better shot

Trying to fit all 3 of us in didn’t work so well, her arm isn’t that long!

Better

A one-eyed Cynthia

Smiling..and one-eyed

Almost my whole face!

Oops, over compensated

And a new use for our roses

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 05-21-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #1723
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

My favorite of them all, I have this one framed

This one is ok too but I love that first one

Sandie snatched the bill before I could get my hands on it, it was a lovely treat! Apparently Paul did the same thing at the boys lunch which was also awfully nice! As we finished up and headed out, with plans to check out the shops, we were treated to this:

We shopped a little, enjoyed the music, stopping in all the shops I think but surprisingly didn’t buy a thing, not even at Basin. We left the GF around 6. In total, the tea took about 2 hours I’d say. We really really enjoyed the tea. Part of it was the tea, the ambiance, the yummy noshes but most of it was the company. We had a really really fun girls afternoon, just enjoying each other and not feeling rushed at all. I think, but am not positive, we took the Monorail to MK and then a bus “home” but really can’t recall! I think we got back to the YC around 6:30. We stopped in the gift shop on our way up and noticed all the cute little sundresses. Sandie had been itching to buy Kendall something and instead, bought us all a cute little dress and we all decided to wear them to dinner that night. I’ve gotten quite a bit of wear out of mine since then, as an easy sundress or swimsuit cover up and it brings back sweet memories when I see it. It’s funny, other than my Epcot “ears” coffee cup (which I drink out of ALL the time), it’s the only souvie I have from the WDW part of that trip, nothing was jumping out at me so it’s even that much more special.

I’d deliberately made a very late dinner ressie, 8:40 at Teppan. This allowed us time to get back, still do a quick jump in the pool and go to dinner. Not to mention digest all that food!

When we arrived poolside, the boys were already in the pool, having been there for only about 30 minutes.

They’d enjoyed their lunch and had done some damage at DTD while we were having tea. Paul had bought the boys some goodies. A hat for Eric, a shirt for Evan and something for Tay (but I forget what...I think it was a shirt or hat but it wasn't Disney anything, just some brand he liked). Evan’s shirt cracked me up.

They’d then gone to Ridemakerz and Eric had spent all his souvie money building a car.

I decided it was now or never.

A certain slide was calling my name.

That sucker is FAST! And…if you don’t plan appropriately, a GREAT way to get a ton of water up your nose.

I swear. Evan didn’t warn me on purpose! But I’m glad I did it. It had been a great day and this was a perfect end to our last visit to SAB. A nice way to say “goodbye”.

Cooled off, we headed up to get ready for our last dinner at Disney, tomorrow night we’d be on the dark side. The kids were very excited about dinner, Teppan having been THE favorite of all the kids on the last trip. Would it live up to their expectations?

How are you getting home?

Last edited by eandesmom; 05-26-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #1725
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Great update Cynthia! I love reading about your tea. You may recall that Laura & I had a reservation for tea last fall but didn't make it out of DTD in time! I'm a little sad that we missed it... I'll have to see about trying it out on my next girls trip.

Alex got that same brown ESPN shirt in March. He wears it all the time.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: