Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #1696
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Gagghhh!!!! I can't believe the train service was suspended, and you were left there waiting! I wonder what the medical emergency was...

It sounds like a lovely morning other than that -- I love wandering around the AK sipping on coffee drinks!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #1697
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

I read somewhere else recently about a medical emergency halting the train service. Either they were on the same train as you or it's a more common occurrence than one would think! Which does not especially inspire me to visit. Although I keep saying I need to spend more time poking around AK. And I NEED to go back to Dawa Bar to have another African margarita.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #1698
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Gagghhh!!!! I can't believe the train service was suspended, and you were left there waiting! I wonder what the medical emergency was...
we couldn't believe it either!!!

Quote:
It sounds like a lovely morning other than that -- I love wandering around the AK sipping on coffee drinks!
It really was! Didn't exactly go to plan but lovely nonetheless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
I read somewhere else recently about a medical emergency halting the train service. Either they were on the same train as you or it's a more common occurrence than one would think! Which does not especially inspire me to visit. Although I keep saying I need to spend more time poking around AK. And I NEED to go back to Dawa Bar to have another African margarita.
That was one of my favorites this trip. Remind me why we only had one?

It would have hit the spot while we were waiting for that train, that's for sure!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #1699
manntra
DIS Veteran

I am thinking we only had one because it was getting a bit hot...the Yeti and the pool were calling
I headed out to Rafiki's once....one of those things to do once and I am all good now I remember it being a long wait as you had mentioned. And I recall there being really interesting loos I do know that I would NOT have been happy being stuck there...plans or not

Tracy
Old 05-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #1700
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
I am thinking we only had one because it was getting a bit hot...the Yeti and the pool were calling
I headed out to Rafiki's once....one of those things to do once and I am all good now I remember it being a long wait as you had mentioned. And I recall there being really interesting loos I do know that I would NOT have been happy being stuck there...plans or not

Tracy
Yes, the Yeti and the Pool WERE calling...as were the shops!!!

Darn, I didn't hit the loo out there, that might have made things more interesting.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #1701
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

A medical emergency

A medical emergency. What could that be? As the line grew behind us everyone wondered. As much as it sucked to have JUST missed the train, we were pretty darn blessed to be at the front of the line. Why? Well the magic of Disney CM’s of course! I wish SO badly I’d noted this CM’s name. With humor and grace she took advantage of the wait time to educate and entertain. We learned some great information about heatstroke, and just how common it is at Disney. Not sure if AK is worse than other parks but I’d bet it is. Her understanding was that they suspected that was the case but it had not been confirmed. They can actually see the road from part of the platform so were watching for the EMT’s to arrive as that would at least be getting the poor person to an area where they could get the right kind of care and then the train could resume.

At the time, standing there, drinking our bottled smart water and feeling appropriately hydrated ourselves, I have to admit we probably felt smug. Like we would never be so silly as to not drink enough liquids in that kind of heat. We did feel terrible for the person but were hoping the EMT would hurry up. She then spent some time pointing out hidden mickey’s and some great trivia questions/game type interaction with the crowd. I don’t recall really what she asked, the games etc. other than she truly made what could have been a painful experience, fly by. She was literally right in front of us so at times it was almost like a private planet watch tour guide…except we couldn’t move.

We tried to look at the road but all we saw was this

Whatever that is

Finally…we saw this!

It was now 12:26

When you are stuck, running late, things always seem s….l….o…w…e…r…………….. the train SLOWLY pulled in

And we were off!

Or as off as a slow moving train can go. 20 minutes later (having reached a unanimous decision on the train to say “screw it”) we arrived here.

Yep. We were hot, annoyed and didn’t really care if everything got messed up. We were going to ride the rapids, no matter what!

What follows is a serious of amazingly random pictures of pretty much nothing. Seriously, I swear. My new camera does MUCH better at these things so bear with me. Hey, if nothing else it sorta proves we were there. Not that it’s all that recognizable. Of course you do have to bear in mind the following.
1. We were beyond late and knew it
2. We had FPs
3. We RAN through the FP line to get on our raft
4. Hence…the crappy pictures.

Given the time, there was not time for the requisite picture of the four drowned rats that came off that raft. We were SOAKED. To the bone. And happy. Very happy. We really really wanted to ride EE, really really wanted to grab a beer from the stand just outside EE but…decided to be sort of responsible and get our behinds to DTD and hook up with the rest of the crew.

We headed out to the buses, sad to be leaving and feeling like yet again, we’d not done nearly enough at AK but feeling much much better after our rapid ride.

Luckily, we didn’t have long to wait for a bus. We took an AKL bus, figuring we’d either transfer to a DTD bus or grab a cab. We also figured we’d just get off at whichever stop came first, Jambo or Kidani. Kidani was first. We headed over to wait for a bus. After all, the cab had taken forever to arrive on our first night there we figured the bus had to be faster.

We waited.

We waited.

We waited.

No bus.

No bus of ANY kind.

After 20 minutes we decided to bail and get a cab. This, thankfully, came rather quickly. It is amazing how much eaiser it is to get a cab as a party of four, versus a party of six. Sad but true. Still, we were late. And I swear….DTD seems to be a million miles away at times, from wherever we are, especially when you are running late.

Would we make it in time for the boys to have Taylors dream meal at Rain Forest Café? Would the girls get to eat at all? Would we make our tea?
Would I look like a drowned rat for our tea? Would I FREEZE in my drowned rat stage in the cab AC?

So many questions. Such a long cab ride!

Did we make it?

Last edited by eandesmom; 05-21-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #1702
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Beautiful update! I know exactly how you feel at the S L O W moving transportation and the urge to MOVE! It is very frustrating, and as much as I tried to slow down and "smell the roses" there were times we needed to be somewhere or give up the goods. I really do hope you made, despite your drowned rat appearance to your Tea- for as fancy as it is, they are still pretty relaxed about appearance. And I hope Taylor got the meal of his dreams too. We shall see!!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #1703
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Hey, I've never even taken any pictures of the queue for Kali River Rapids, so your pictures are better than mine!

I'm glad you had a great time on it, even though you got soaked. I'll bet that was good for a laugh.

No bus of any kind for 20 minutes? That's unusual. It's usually every bus except the one you want.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #1704
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Hurray for riding Kali! Nothing really beats it on a hot day at the Animal Kingdom, and I would hazard to guess it helps keep heatstroke at bay.

You got some very interesting pictures in line, Cynthia! I am with Glenn, I don't think I have ever taken pictures in the queue.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #1705
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

So glad you finally got back from RPW.

I have taken pictures of the KRR queue but now I figure out when

Good for you taking the time to ride. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

It always seems when you are in a rush, transportation is not your friend. Maybe it is a sign to slow down but really it is so annoying when it happens.

Soaked and cold in the cab, not looking a drowned rat at GF and I sure hope everyone eats.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #1706
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Beautiful update! I know exactly how you feel at the S L O W moving transportation and the urge to MOVE! It is very frustrating, and as much as I tried to slow down and "smell the roses" there were times we needed to be somewhere or give up the goods. I really do hope you made, despite your drowned rat appearance to your Tea- for as fancy as it is, they are still pretty relaxed about appearance. And I hope Taylor got the meal of his dreams too. We shall see!!
Ah well, that's the beauty of a pony tail and straight hair. Makes it easier to hide drowned ratishness. The white cotton shirt was a different story.

I DID have a cami on though.

The drama over adding in the stupid RF Cafe really annoyed both Jeff and I but I think (hope) we are the ONLY ones who knew it. Tay truly couldn't grasp that you just couldn't show up, that other dining plans had been made and that this would be OOP. His exact words were "It's never been a problem anywhere else we've gone to eat". Uh yeah dude. Because we had RESERVATIONS! At the same time, he doesn't speak up and ask for much so...you want to deliver. Within reason.

At the time we figured that DTD would be the better choice but in hindsight AK would have worked SO much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Hey, I've never even taken any pictures of the queue for Kali River Rapids, so your pictures are better than mine!
even though they are pictures of um...almost nothing.

Quote:
I'm glad you had a great time on it, even though you got soaked. I'll bet that was good for a laugh.
We NEEDED to get soaked. Daresay we WANTED to get soaked. It was fine and just what the doctor ordered! Would have been better if we could have grabbed that african amber we both really wanted on the way out but...oh well. Honestly given the bus situation, we could have but who knew.

Quote:
No bus of any kind for 20 minutes? That's unusual. It's usually every bus except the one you want.
It was CRAZY! And hot and deserted. Like the buses were just avoiding Kidani entirely. Really wierd.

Quote:
Hurray for riding Kali! Nothing really beats it on a hot day at the Animal Kingdom, and I would hazard to guess it helps keep heatstroke at bay.
I bet it does, assuming you don't get heatstroke waiting to get on it! It was the right call for sure.

Quote:
You got some very interesting pictures in line, Cynthia! I am with Glenn, I don't think I have ever taken pictures in the queue.
that's one word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
So glad you finally got back from RPW.
Oh my, so was I!

Quote:
I have taken pictures of the KRR queue but now I figure out when

Good for you taking the time to ride. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
It was almost not even a question. Jeff and I looked at each other and it was like "we are riding, no matter what!"

Quote:
It always seems when you are in a rush, transportation is not your friend. Maybe it is a sign to slow down but really it is so annoying when it happens.
So very true. And hard to tell yourself it's a sign (when it is) and calm yourself down instead of working yourself into a frenzy

Quote:
Soaked and cold in the cab, not looking a drowned rat at GF and I sure hope everyone eats.
I wasn't really worried about not eating, it was more a matter of where and when. There's always food somewhere. But there was a LOT riding on both RF Cafe (Taylor) and the Tea (Sandie), who both had their hearts SET on those things.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #1707
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I have a feeling in August the Rapid's will beon our to do list!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #1709
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Really behind, trying to catch up!!! I will hopefully be here tonight!!! LOL!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise *

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: