Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #1156
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
Will my 14 month old be able to stay in his stroller in the queue line AND once we get let into the viewing area or do you have to park the strollers somewhere else? I can't remember from when I saw it once before if there were strollers around us.

I am debating on if I think our little guy can handle the long wait for this show and the stroller would give us a chance...without it there is no way.
Hydroguy already answered that strollers are okay to take into the viewing area...I wanted to add that when I asked about stroller parking, they said there is no area for it, please take it with you.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #1157
lisachrystine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Your issue may be getting to your viewing spot with the stroller in a crowd. In such cases it is usually better to send all of some of your group on ahead to secure a viewing spot and then you follow behind and find them.

This! Both times I've done WOC with a stroller, I've had to leave DH to figure out how to get the stroller down while the rest of us (kids and my parents) go to save a spot. Once everyone is settled, I can go back and help him navigate, but you just can't get through the crowd fast enough to get a prime spot with a stroller. The first time we had our Sit and Stand and DD2 actually stood on the platform to watch the show so we didn't have to hold her the whole time (making her the same height as an average adult woman). The second time, we had a little umbrella stroller and went straight down the ramp to the front (splash zone). No one needed the stroller during the show this time, but we never had to fold it up or anything.
lisachrystine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #1158
FanniesDisney
Earning My Ears

Just a quick thanks to HydroGuy for his fantastic information in this thread. I was debating about WOC as we are there from Dec 15-19, and whether the picnic was worth it. You first page answered all of my questions.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #1159
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

My dad has Parkinson's and would have a very hard time sitting on the ground to wait for the show. Where is the best place for us to aim for to watch the show where my kids will have a good view but there will also be a nearby bench for my dad?

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #1160
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
My dad has Parkinson's and would have a very hard time sitting on the ground to wait for the show. Where is the best place for us to aim for to watch the show where my kids will have a good view but there will also be a nearby bench for my dad?
There are handicapped sections with benches. You either need a visible aid (such as wheelchair, walker, cane, etc.) to access them or a Guest Assistance Card. The aid or GAC allows the handicapped person only to sit on the bench, although some CMs are better than other at enforcing this rule.

You do need a WOC FP to access the handicapped area along with the aid or GAC. If your father doesn't have a mobility aid, then I would obtain a GAC from Guest Relations. They are in either park and if you explain your needs, they will help you out.

Have you thought about getting your father a ECV or other assistance? I am just wondering about how he will do getting around the parks for the rest of the day. It can be very draining to walk around the parks, and you may find he needs more assistance than in normal day to day activities. Just a thought, .
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #1161
beachdweller
Earning My Ears

Question World of Color questions

Hi there,
I am hoping to see WOC sometime between Dec. 10-12. I will be with my DS6 and DS4 and DH... none of us are tall, so I'm planning on getting there 90 minutes before the show to nab seats. I read through Hydroguy's post but have a few follow-up questions.

Mainly, I'm worried about occupying my kids for 90 minutes, especially while standing up! Would it work for all of us to go in together, find a spot, and then 2 of us stay there w/a picnic blanket while they other 2 go get food for us to have a picnic dinner, wander around, etc? Are you allowed to go in and out? If this is OK, at what time should I make sure that we are all back and staking out our spot?

Thanks all!
beachdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #1162
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdweller
Hi there,
I am hoping to see WOC sometime between Dec. 10-12. I will be with my DS6 and DS4 and DH... none of us are tall, so I'm planning on getting there 90 minutes before the show to nab seats. I read through Hydroguy's post but have a few follow-up questions.

Mainly, I'm worried about occupying my kids for 90 minutes, especially while standing up! Would it work for all of us to go in together, find a spot, and then 2 of us stay there w/a picnic blanket while they other 2 go get food for us to have a picnic dinner, wander around, etc? Are you allowed to go in and out? If this is OK, at what time should I make sure that we are all back and staking out our spot?

Thanks all!
In our experience they let you sit till about 15 minutes before... We saw people sitting and playing cards and what not for that last hour. If you are in line 90 minutes before, you just have to stand during the wait to be released. Then you find your spot and can sit for awhile before the show starts and they make everyone stand up.

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. Dec '12, 6 days @ PPH, dh, dd &I. Can't stand it anymore--DLH here we come Oct 25-29, 2015!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #1163
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
There are handicapped sections with benches. You either need a visible aid (such as wheelchair, walker, cane, etc.) to access them or a Guest Assistance Card. The aid or GAC allows the handicapped person only to sit on the bench, although some CMs are better than other at enforcing this rule.

You do need a WOC FP to access the handicapped area along with the aid or GAC. If your father doesn't have a mobility aid, then I would obtain a GAC from Guest Relations. They are in either park and if you explain your needs, they will help you out.

Have you thought about getting your father a ECV or other assistance? I am just wondering about how he will do getting around the parks for the rest of the day. It can be very draining to walk around the parks, and you may find he needs more assistance than in normal day to day activities. Just a thought, .
My dad does not like at all to admit that he can't do something. He'd rather just not do it. He's mentioned to my sister that he has to go on this trip with his grandkids b/c this will be his last big trip. He doesn't know that she told me that. But, he has told me that we "need to do this trip up right." He won't want a GAC or an ECV. He'd rather go to back to the room to rest than get an ECV. I think he'll have to get a GAC if not just for WOC, he'll need a bench. He won't want to use it for any rides. I don't know how he'll do navigating the parks. It was one of my considerations in choosing DL instead of WDW for this trip. I know it will still be a ton of walking, but not as spread out and closer to the hotel. He's always been the one to go save us a spot for something, or run ahead for fast passes, or sit on a bench with a sleeping kids while we went on a ride, etc. But, I really don't feel comfortable leaving him by himself at this point even though he'll swear he's fine and will still want to do these things, and I don't know what his stamina will be. I'm worried, but we'll just have to play it by ear.

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #1164
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

lsulindy I am so happy for you and a bit jealous too- my dad has Parkinson's as well, early stages and he just refuses to go anywhere or do anything any more. He still works part-time but doesn't like crowds since he is unsteady on his feet so he won't go on vacation with us to places like Disneyland. I am hoping he will come with us to a cabin for Spring Break- like a fishing trip- but even that is iffy. I hope your dad has a great time- and I know he is saying no ECV, but start planting the thought in his head that if he changes his mind, it is not a sign of weakness- it is a sign of smarts- he can go longer and do more.... sometimes dads are just stubborn and full of pride!

Have a wonderful trip
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #1165
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
My dad does not like at all to admit that he can't do something. He'd rather just not do it. He's mentioned to my sister that he has to go on this trip with his grandkids b/c this will be his last big trip. He doesn't know that she told me that. But, he has told me that we "need to do this trip up right." He won't want a GAC or an ECV. He'd rather go to back to the room to rest than get an ECV. I think he'll have to get a GAC if not just for WOC, he'll need a bench. He won't want to use it for any rides. I don't know how he'll do navigating the parks. It was one of my considerations in choosing DL instead of WDW for this trip. I know it will still be a ton of walking, but not as spread out and closer to the hotel. He's always been the one to go save us a spot for something, or run ahead for fast passes, or sit on a bench with a sleeping kids while we went on a ride, etc. But, I really don't feel comfortable leaving him by himself at this point even though he'll swear he's fine and will still want to do these things, and I don't know what his stamina will be. I'm worried, but we'll just have to play it by ear.
I know how it is, my grandfather has Parkinson's and for the longest time refused any help at all. It was sad to see him miss out on things because he refused to get a wheelchair or scooter until he had no other choice. Once he did get the help, he told me he should have gotten it sooner so he could do more for longer. I wish you all the best.

I would ask him if it would be all right to get the GAC for use at WOC. Maybe if you explain how he needs it to get a bench, it might make him more willing to get it. In any case, make sure you still get WOC FPs. I wish you the best of luck and hope your father has a good visit and allows help where it is offered.

If he absolutely refuses the GAC, I might think about eating at the Cove Bar and keeping my seat there to watch. I had heard that they no longer charge a cover. The view is far from ideal, it is at an extreme angle. But if it is your only option, it might be a way to keep your father from becoming fatigued and still seeing the show. You do have to eat there, but if you can work it as a dinner or snack, or even just drinks, it might work. Good luck!
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #1166
beachdweller
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much!

Any suggestions on best counter/take-out foods near WOC?
beachdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #1167
Avery's mom
Mouseketeer

Corn Dog Castle wins out for us every time

WDW - Coronado Springs - Oct. 2012
WDW - Art of Animation - Oct. 2012
Disney Dream - Oct. 2012
Disneyland Paris - May 2012
Disneyland Hotel - Feb. 2012
Disney Wonder - Nov. 2011
Disney Dream - Feb. 2011
WDW - ASM - Feb. 2011
WDW - ASM - Oct. 2010
WDW - OffSite - Dec. 2008
WDW - OffSite - Oct. 2006
Grand Californian - Oct. 2004
WDW - CBR - Oct 1993
WDW - Off-Site (first visit) - March 1992

Me DH DD DS
Avery's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #1168
JBHinkle55
Earning My Ears

Quick question...is the reserved viewing for WCT and Carthay Circle dining the same area? Is there any benefit, as far as WOC is concerned, to doing one over the other?

Thanks!
JBHinkle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #1169
ballarinamom
DIS Veteran

We had CCT FPs and he told us with that one, we could go wherever we wanted. WCT could do their area or that of a lesser value (picnic or regular fp I guess?) we were right at the rail of the elevated area just above the regular fp seating. Perfect!

Me (44 yikes!) , DH (46) , DD (11)
ballarinamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #1170
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHinkle55 View Post
Quick question...is the reserved viewing for WCT and Carthay Circle dining the same area? Is there any benefit, as far as WOC is concerned, to doing one over the other?

Thanks!
There are separate sections but the Cms let you go anywhere. Don't let them direct you to a viewing spot without comment. When they tell you where to go just tell them you would prefer a different area. Experience says they will say "no problem". Bottom line is if you know you can go anywhere you want then there is no difference to WCT vs CCR. If you do not know then there is a difference where the CMs direct you by default.

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: