Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #1141
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR29 View Post
My guess is that these won't be around for much longer. It really hasn't gained any popularity. It's cool when everyone in the viewing area has them on (AP previews), but in my recent visits I've only seen a handful of people with them on at each show.
While I do understand the limited sales, I don't see any way this will go away soon... someday, maybe, but not soon. They have invested far too much money already in setting this system up, plus they are adding more setups at other shows. They only have the ears manufactured and the main expense for this is done. Even with limited sales, there is no upside to shutting it down quickly. Guess we will see

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
papamouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #1142
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVdisneyChick View Post
Is this list still accurate as to what rides close early?

California Screamin'
Games of the Boardwalk
Golden Zephyr
King Triton's Carousel
Jumpin' Jellyfish
Mickey's Fun Wheel
Silly Symphony Swings

Since this list does not include toy story how bad are the wait times during the show?
Just so you get an answer, I am the OP of the thread and I was there at WOC two weeks ago. I believe your list is accurate because the lights need to dim around Paradise Pier for the show to happen. All those rides throw light into the WOC area. California Screamin and Mickey's Fun Wheel for sure close. So do Silly Symphony Swings and Golden Zephyr. The others I do not know for sure. Maybe others do. But I suspect they do close because of their proximity to WOC.
DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #1143
yaya74
Mouseketeer

I watched WOC last night standing outside of Ariel's Grotto without a fastpass. We dined there last night, When we were exiting the restaurant at 715pm, I saw a roped-up area outside of the restaurant. I asked if a Fasspass was needed to go into the area. CM said no. There were only handful of people standing there. So my family watched the show from that spot. The view was great because it was higher and I could also see the light effect in the audience area. I thought I would not be able to see WOC during my trip. So it was a great surprise!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #1144
lucysmom
DIS Veteran

Handicapped Access

We will be at DL over at the start of the holidays and we would like to see the show. I understand that we can get fastpasses because we are staying at the Grand Californian, but due to health issues, Iwe cannot stand for that length of time. If I bring my handicapped pass, can my two children and I sit in the handicapped section? Also, when everyone else stands up, will I still be able to see from the handicapped section?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #1145
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysmom View Post
If I bring my handicapped pass, can my two children and I sit in the handicapped section?
Yes, your entire party may sit together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysmom View Post
...when everyone else stands up, will I still be able to see from the handicapped section?
Yes, you will be able to see.

This video was shot from a VIP bench, which is on the same level as the handicap section. Even from this far back, the iPhone field of view is not large enough to record all the action. I only recorded this part of the show because the Brave sequence is new, and a good example of the video projections.

World of Color Brave
Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #1146
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysmom
We will be at DL over at the start of the holidays and we would like to see the show. I understand that we can get fastpasses because we are staying at the Grand Californian, but due to health issues, Iwe cannot stand for that length of time. If I bring my handicapped pass, can my two children and I sit in the handicapped section? Also, when everyone else stands up, will I still be able to see from the handicapped section?
Just to be clear, the benches used in the handicapped areas are for the disabled person only. The CMs will ask that only the disabled person sit on the bench. If the benches do not fill, others in your party may be allowed to sit there. In reality, this policy is enforced sometimes but not always consistently.

Yes, you will be able to see from a sitting position. The area is terraced and the handicapped section is at the top. Have fun!
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #1147
DizDays
DVC & D23 Member

Bump

DizDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #1148
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVdisneyChick View Post
Is this list still accurate as to what rides close early?

California Screamin'
Games of the Boardwalk
Golden Zephyr
King Triton's Carousel
Jumpin' Jellyfish
Mickey's Fun Wheel
Silly Symphony Swings

Since this list does not include toy story how bad are the wait times during the show?
Correct. Everything in the Paradise Pier area except:
-Toy Story
-Goofy's Sky School
-Arie'ls Undersea Adventure
close early. Lines for Toy Story are about the same as the rest of the day 30-40 min...maybe only a slight decrease, but then it picks back up again in between WoC shows (if there are 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamouse1 View Post
While I do understand the limited sales, I don't see any way this will go away soon... someday, maybe, but not soon. They have invested far too much money already in setting this system up, plus they are adding more setups at other shows. They only have the ears manufactured and the main expense for this is done. Even with limited sales, there is no upside to shutting it down quickly. Guess we will see
That's true. My guess is that with limited sales they won't really be manufacturing many more sets of ears, and that they will just sell what's left in their current inventory. We'll see how popular the Christmas fireworks is with this technology. I've seen a few people wear them at WoC, but I don't think I've ever seen someone with them on at Fantasmic.
Bouncy!
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #1149
Avery's mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl

Just to be clear, the benches used in the handicapped areas are for the disabled person only. The CMs will ask that only the disabled person sit on the bench. If the benches do not fill, others in your party may be allowed to sit there. In reality, this policy is enforced sometimes but not always consistently.

Yes, you will be able to see from a sitting position. The area is terraced and the handicapped section is at the top. Have fun!
Perhaps I am shorter than the average person, however, the railing was directly in my line of sight when I was sitting on the bench. I had to slouch down to try to see under the railing, which was not very comfortable. As for the benches being for disabled only, this was enforced by some CMs, not all. A large family who claimed not to understand English tried to take up the rest of my bench, while I made sure that all the rest of our party stood. People who need accessible seating can also scooter down to the regular viewing areas if he/ she feels it would be a better fit .

WDW - Coronado Springs - Oct. 2012
WDW - Art of Animation - Oct. 2012
Disney Dream - Oct. 2012
Disneyland Paris - May 2012
Disneyland Hotel - Feb. 2012
Disney Wonder - Nov. 2011
Disney Dream - Feb. 2011
WDW - ASM - Feb. 2011
WDW - ASM - Oct. 2010
WDW - OffSite - Dec. 2008
WDW - OffSite - Oct. 2006
Grand Californian - Oct. 2004
WDW - CBR - Oct 1993
WDW - Off-Site (first visit) - March 1992

Me DH DD DS
Avery's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #1150
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR29 View Post
That's true. My guess is that with limited sales they won't really be manufacturing many more sets of ears, and that they will just sell what's left in their current inventory. We'll see how popular the Christmas fireworks is with this technology. I've seen a few people wear them at WoC, but I don't think I've ever seen someone with them on at Fantasmic.
I could definitely see this scenario... I have a sneaky feeling, knowing my 2 girls, they will want them 1st thing next Sunday and they will have them on at WoC, Fantasmic and fireworks!! But I'm pretty sure those 2 sales won't motivate Disney to do more

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #1151
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

1 week from today we are gonna see WoC for the very 1st time!!! Oh man, am I getting excited

Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #1152
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamouse1
1 week from today we are gonna see WoC for the very 1st time!!! Oh man, am I getting excited
You are going to love it! Make sure you come back and let us know what you thought!
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #1153
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Will my 14 month old be able to stay in his stroller in the queue line AND once we get let into the viewing area or do you have to park the strollers somewhere else? I can't remember from when I saw it once before if there were strollers around us.

I am debating on if I think our little guy can handle the long wait for this show and the stroller would give us a chance...without it there is no way.

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #1154
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
Will my 14 month old be able to stay in his stroller in the queue line AND once we get let into the viewing area or do you have to park the strollers somewhere else? I can't remember from when I saw it once before if there were strollers around us.

I am debating on if I think our little guy can handle the long wait for this show and the stroller would give us a chance...without it there is no way.
Yes - no problem with strollers. Your issue may be getting to your viewing spot with the stroller in a crowd. In such cases it is usually better to send all of some of your group on ahead to secure a viewing spot and then you follow behind and find them.

DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #1155
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Phew, thanks for all this great info Hydroguy. And I will try to send our group ahead when the crowd moves, I will probably be moving slow and looking out for ankles!

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: