Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #1051
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
Kids need to order an entree and either an app or dessert. Add in a beverage, and you are paying about the same for a child.....
Just FYI... both WCT fixed meal and CCR kids menu offer the same beverages for free to kids (water, milk, minute maid I believe) and you would have to pay extra at both of them for a different drink for the kids. You can order least expensive entree and dessert/salad ($8+$4) for $12 or most expensive ($13+5) for $18. So technically you could do CCR kids meal quite a bit cheaper if you wanted to OR go with a nice steak and cool dessert for a couple bucks less than WCT

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
papamouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #1052
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
I'm not sure what you keep trying to say.
The OP questioned why CC diners receive inferior WOC viewing spots than WCT diners when CC is more expensive. My point is that CC isn't necessarily more expensive especially when kids are in the party.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #1053
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamouse1 View Post
Honestly, after pouring page after page of input in this thread, Hydroguy still says it best.... just get there early enough and you will have a good chance for a nice spot. If you don't want it to be frustrating, just take the easy route... but it does require time to be spent waiting
Agreed. On Aug 21 around 10:30am I got blue fastpasses for a 9pm show.

I arrived at WOC at 7:30pm before the ropes opened.

The group of blue FP holders were let into an initial holding area shortly thereafter. Around 8pm we were let into the viewing area.

My spot was directly behind those who paid for lunch/dinner/whatever. I could have been right in the wet zone up front if I wanted.

Yes we had to wait, but my experience was not frustrating and went exactly as planned.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #1054
ttig34
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just so you are aware, our server made it very clear that the biscuits didn't count toward the app for the WOC meal. I am not sure if this is everyone's experience, but our server told us the biscuits didn't count and that you couldn't order certain salads as your entree.
Wonder what their actual "official" policy is on whether or not biscuits count. As a friend of mine dined there last week, and was allowed to order the biscuits and have it count toward the WOC pass. Doesn't seem right that whether or not it counts is determined by which server you are assigned to.
ttig34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #1055
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
The OP questioned why CC diners receive inferior WOC viewing spots than WCT diners when CC is more expensive. My point is that CC isn't necessarily more expensive especially when kids are in the party.
I believe I am the "original poster" (OP) you are referring to and, yes, I guess if you take one adult and 12 children to Carthay Circle, only order the cheapest possible options, and stick to drinking tap water, it could cost less than a World of Color price fixe meal at Wine Country Trattoria BUT my point remains ... Carthay Circle is California Adventure's signature restaurant and the only one they term fine dining. It is also, by and large, a much higher price point than Wine Country and is generally considered the "superior" and more expensive option by not only the public, but Disney as well. So, all that being said, why on earth would Disney determine that Wine Country diners got preferential viewing spots over Carthay Circle guests? It makes no logistical or financial sense. (I wouldn't even be shocked if they were the same; it's the preference for Wine Country I find baffling.)

Someone who stays at Paradise Pier, Disneyland's version of a value/moderate resort, could, theoretically, be spending more than someone who stays at Disney's Grand Californian (e.g. Paradise Pier suite vs. Grand standard view). But, in general, Paradise Pier guests are paying less than those at Grand Californian. So, I'd ask the same question if they built a theatre and situated Paradise Pier hotel guests in the front row as a special perk, and Grand guests were lead to the back. I'd guess it would't be because there was an off chance that, possibly, the Paradise guests spent more.

It doesn't make you better/worse no matter where you eat/sleep/etc. but it does usually stand to reason that higher price points equal increased perks and an increased (not decreased) level of service. When that does not hold true, the higher price point item/service does not stay that way for long, simply because what person in their right mind pays more, for less?
coopersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #1056
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Disney probably doesn't consider the Carthay viewing area inferior... the section is a great spot to stand for those who don't want anywhere near the wet zone. The VIP section is in the farthest back area... so obviously Disney believes that the farther back you are the better the view as you can take in the whole scene. I and a lot of others personally prefer to be as close to the front as possible. But that doesn't mean it is best... we have to zero in on what we want to look at by being close and that isn't really the intent of the designers of the show.

Its kinda like going to a theatre performance... the best seats aren't the front row... you are too close and looking up... you want to be part way back from the stage.

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #1057
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I believe I am the "original poster" (OP) you are referring to and, yes, I guess if you take one adult and 12 children to Carthay Circle, only order the cheapest possible options, and stick to drinking tap water, it could cost less than a World of Color price fixe meal at Wine Country Trattoria BUT my point remains ... Carthay Circle is California Adventure's signature restaurant and the only one they term fine dining. It is also, by and large, a much higher price point than Wine Country and is generally considered the "superior" and more expensive option by not only the public, but Disney as well. So, all that being said, why on earth would Disney determine that Wine Country diners got preferential viewing spots over Carthay Circle guests? It makes no logistical or financial sense. (I wouldn't even be shocked if they were the same; it's the preference for Wine Country I find baffling.)

Someone who stays at Paradise Pier, Disneyland's version of a value/moderate resort, could, theoretically, be spending more than someone who stays at Disney's Grand Californian (e.g. Paradise Pier suite vs. Grand standard view). But, in general, Paradise Pier guests are paying less than those at Grand Californian. So, I'd ask the same question if they built a theatre and situated Paradise Pier hotel guests in the front row as a special perk, and Grand guests were lead to the back. I'd guess it would't be because there was an off chance that, possibly, the Paradise guests spent more.

It doesn't make you better/worse no matter where you eat/sleep/etc. but it does usually stand to reason that higher price points equal increased perks and an increased (not decreased) level of service. When that does not hold true, the higher price point item/service does not stay that way for long, simply because what person in their right mind pays more, for less?
See map of post #976 at the top of page 66 in this thread. The green area marked CCT lunch is just for lunch. The green circular area marked for WCT is also for CCT dinner. The problem is CM confusion. Some posters have had the experience where CM's have directed ALL CCT WOC diners to the green area further back. Others have reported that when they ask the CM to go down to the green circular area for CCT dinner passes they have been able to. Unfortunately, CM's don't seem to all be on the same page which is why all the Diser's experiences have been different. CCT dinner and WCT dinner should both be able to go to the green circular area towards the front.

May 2006- Wilderness Lodge-1st trip to WDW, December 2006- Pop Century, October 2007- SSR and MNSSHP, November 2007- 1st Disney Cruise , January 2008 - SSR, Boardwalk, October 2008 - Pop Century and MNSSHP, March 2009 - Pop Century, May 2009 - VWL, December 2010-Pop Century and 1st MVMCP, March 2011- Disney Dream and SSR, January 2012 - Disney Wonder, March 2012 - Disney Magic and POR Royal Guest Room, March 2013 - Disney Fantasy and AofA Resort Little Mermaid Room, June 2013 - ABD Germany, Once Upon a Fairytale, July 2013 - ABD - Ireland, the Emerald Isle, August 2013 - Disney Wonder, July 2014 - DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic ABD
JacksGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #1058
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksGirlz View Post
See map of post #976 at the top of page 66 in this thread. The green area marked CCT lunch is just for lunch. The green circular area marked for WCT is also for CCT dinner. The problem is CM confusion. Some posters have had the experience where CM's have directed ALL CCT WOC diners to the green area further back. Others have reported that when they ask the CM to go down to the green circular area for CCT dinner passes they have been able to. Unfortunately, CM's don't seem to all be on the same page which is why all the Diser's experiences have been different. CCT dinner and WCT dinner should both be able to go to the green circular area towards the front.
It was looking at the map that got me concerned originally.

To complicate matters even further, I talked with my Disney Vacation Planner, who has been helping me make reservations, etc. and she said she spoke to people at Carthay Circle and there is (quote) "no difference in the location if you do the lunch or dinner option."

I know you can get 100 different answers if you talk to 100 different people, so I called myself and was told, basically, the same thing. Carthay Circle lunch/dinner is the same World of Color seating, just showtimes may vary. (Lunch gets first showing, if there are two, and dinner gets second, though if available dinner guests can select the early showing.) I was also told that Carthay Circle's viewing area was "front and center" whatever that means.

An in theatre terms, while I understand the very front row isn't best, the center section certainly is, as is being in the first "orchestra" level of seating.

Oy! All so complicated. I just wish I knew, for sure, what I was getting, before I got it.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #1059
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
It was looking at the map that got me concerned originally.

To complicate matters even further, I talked with my Disney Vacation Planner, who has been helping me make reservations, etc. and she said she spoke to people at Carthay Circle and there is (quote) "no difference in the location if you do the lunch or dinner option."

I know you can get 100 different answers if you talk to 100 different people, so I called myself and was told, basically, the same thing. Carthay Circle lunch/dinner is the same World of Color seating, just showtimes may vary. (Lunch gets first showing, if there are two, and dinner gets second, though if available dinner guests can select the early showing.) I was also told that Carthay Circle's viewing area was "front and center" whatever that means.

An in theatre terms, while I understand the very front row isn't best, the center section certainly is, as is being in the first "orchestra" level of seating.

Oy! All so complicated. I just wish I knew, for sure, what I was getting, before I got it.
Thanks for the feedback. And IMO the very front is better than being further back and in the circle - unless maybe you are at the very front of that circle. But still probably not.

DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #1060
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

So it's totally possible I just don't get it, because I've never been, but by the looks of this posted map, the Carthay Circle section is the very back row, the farthest you could possibly get from the fountains, while the Wine Country area is right down front. This is what has me sort of freaking out about our plans.

Am I missing something?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #1061
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Just so you are aware, our server made it very clear that the biscuits didn't count toward the app for the WOC meal. I am not sure if this is everyone's experience, but our server told us the biscuits didn't count and that you couldn't order certain salads as your entree.
As ttig34 mentioned... this clearly is a loose policy as many people are reporting getting biscuits as their appetizer. Sounds like you drew the short straw on servers

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW

Last edited by papamouse1; 09-19-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #1062
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
So it's totally possible I just don't get it, because I've never been, but by the looks of this posted map, the Carthay Circle section is the very back row, the farthest you could possibly get from the fountains, while the Wine Country area is right down front. This is what has me sort of freaking out about our plans.

Am I missing something?
Actually, you are missing something, and I now realize I am partially to blame.

I had put up the map you referenced and had put in the green areas because at the time, people who had CCR lunch were seemingly all being sent to that one lane and people with WCT were seemingly being sent up front. I posted the map and asked for input... and several people began to respond. What they shared made it clear that these 2 areas that seemed to be only for CCR lunch and WCT were actually being used by other "preferred" ticket people, so that the current map looked like this...

Back in post 917, I thought I was actually posting this new map, when instead I accidentally posted the same map we had all been working on before. Sorry for the confusion.

This new map is the one that reflects all the newer input from people who had "preferred" tickets (CCR lunch & dinner, and WCT dinner) could actually go to any of these green areas they chose... even if the CM wants to send you a certain way for whatever their reason, it is being reported you can got to any area marked preferred... they are not different for WCT or CCR

Also note this map reflects the splash zone up front for blue tickets now as well

Also, it wasn't in this thread ( and I looked to try and find where I read it but no luck) but it's been reported that at times, they may make slight adjustments to sections based on crowds ...

Old 09-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #1063
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamouse1 View Post
Actually, you are missing something, and I now realize I am partially to blame.

I had put up the map you referenced and had put in the green areas because at the time, people who had CCR lunch were seemingly all being sent to that one lane and people with WCT were seemingly being sent up front. I posted the map and asked for input... and several people began to respond. What they shared made it clear that these 2 areas that seemed to be only for CCR lunch and WCT were actually being used by other "preferred" ticket people, so that the current map looked like this...

Back in post 917, I thought I was actually posting this new map, when instead I accidentally posted the same map we had all been working on before. Sorry for the confusion.

This new map is the one that reflects all the newer input from people who had "preferred" tickets (CCR lunch & dinner, and WCT dinner) could actually go to any of these green areas they chose... even if the CM wants to send you a certain way for whatever their reason, it is being reported you can got to any area marked preferred... they are not different for WCT or CCR

Also note this map reflects the splash zone up front for blue tickets now as well

Also, it wasn't in this thread ( and I looked to try and find where I read it but no luck) but it's been reported that at times, they may make slight adjustments to sections based on crowds ...
Thank you so much for that post. I have been trying to keep up with the thread updates (read the first and last five pages or so) but never saw an adjustment. That does make more sense. Like I said, I totally understand if it's the SAME seating, based on first-come, first-serve, but for the Carthay to be way at the back, and the Wine Country way at the front just didn't make logical sense to me. And I wasn't sure if this was Disney design I just disagreed with or my own obtuseness not to see something.

So, based on consensus, am I OK to leave my reservation for lunch, or should I switch to the beginning of dinner service to make sure we get the most "preferred" option. (i.e. Will we be shuttled to back areas simply because we have "lunch" fast passes? Are they even marked?)

I want to make sure we make the "right" choice since we are not tall people, we've got a five-year-old in tow who will be on central time (so, no late show possibility), and we are trying to see World of Color on a night that Disneyland is closed for a Halloween party, which I know pushes all other guests into DCA. We will try and get there relatively early, but again, a high-energy five-year-old and long waits don't mesh terribly well. So, my plan is definitely not to stroll in at the the last minute, but getting there an hour ahead probably isn't practical either. (He'd be so tired and cranky and frustrated by the time the show started he'd couldn't enjoy it; lesson learned at last year's Walt Disney World fireworks.) That's why we want to get the dinner package in the first place. (And dessert party for Fantasmic viewing.)
Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #1064
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Thank you so much for that post. I have been trying to keep up with the thread updates (read the first and last five pages or so) but never saw an adjustment. That does make more sense. Like I said, I totally understand if it's the SAME seating, based on first-come, first-serve, but for the Carthay to be way at the back, and the Wine Country way at the front just didn't make logical sense to me. And I wasn't sure if this was Disney design I just disagreed with or my own obtuseness not to see something.
Well, to your defense, you were NOT alone...

The CM's were clearly sending CCR lunch people to top row and WCT to front area (maybe they were told to do it that way to spread it out while it filled up). SO we all took it for granted they were restricted to those areas. Based on more input though, I am feeling pretty confident that in Nov when we come and dine at CCR, we can just ask to go to front area even if they try to send me to the side. I'm with you... I don't want to be in the back if I don't have to

Old 09-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #1065
JadeDarkstar
Dis Veteran Pirate dragon mom

so now to be up front its blue not green or yellow so I can get blue fp and get right up front right? By being there hour in half early or so
JadeDarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: