Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #1036
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
Having done both the CCR & WCT viewing areas in the past month, I can say that the WCT is the far better viewing experience IMHO.

CCR viewing is right of center, with the front screen hard to see. The middle and rear screens are ok.

By comparison WCT is on the centerline (more than the diagram makes out, when you line up the projectors).
I think this is misleading and not accurate to what has been reported through countless posts here since the consolidating of the sections.

While it is true, there are 2 distinct areas right now for Preferred viewing Just a row down and to the right of where you enter, and then down in the center area where AndR was for his WCT viewing... They aren't 2 separate viewing areas. It is true, several people mentioned they were sent to the right with their CCR tickets, but some who had WCT dinner ressies were sent there as well. Others have reported that if instructed to go to the right, they simply asked to go to the center area AndyR mentioned, and there was no problem. Others have also mentioned they asked to go into the splash zone (blue ticket) area and were allowed to go if there was room.

Bottom line is you can go to the exact same area with WCT dinner as CCR lunch & dinner, they aren't separate areas for them. Now it does seem they may initially try to send you one way or another based on the restaurant, but you can pick whichever one you want. So pick whichever one you want to eat at for a preferred ticket, then get there early and tell them where you want to go

I am quite jealous of Andy though... been to see it 2X in a month? Sweet!!

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
papamouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #1037
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamouse1 View Post
I think this is misleading and not accurate to what has been reported through countless posts here since the consolidating of the sections.

While it is true, there are 2 distinct areas right now for Preferred viewing Just a row down and to the right of where you enter, and then down in the center area where AndR was for his WCT viewing... They aren't 2 separate viewing areas. It is true, several people mentioned they were sent to the right with their CCR tickets, but some who had WCT dinner ressies were sent there as well. Others have reported that if instructed to go to the right, they simply asked to go to the center area AndyR mentioned, and there was no problem. Others have also mentioned they asked to go into the splash zone (blue ticket) area and were allowed to go if there was room.

Bottom line is you can go to the exact same area with WCT dinner as CCR lunch & dinner, they aren't separate areas for them. Now it does seem they may initially try to send you one way or another based on the restaurant, but you can pick whichever one you want. So pick whichever one you want to eat at for a preferred ticket, then get there early and tell them where you want to go
Thank you for your response and I really (really!) hope this is true. Guess I'll hold on to our Carthay reservation and cross my fingers.
coopersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #1038
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
Thank you for your response and I really (really!) hope this is true. Guess I'll hold on to our Carthay reservation and cross my fingers.
Let us know how it all turns out. It really is a shame that Disney leaves it all up to discussions boards to try and figure their policy out... just tell us how you do it DIsney, we can take it

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #1039
AndyR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Let us know how it all turns out. It really is a shame that Disney leaves it all up to discussions boards to try and figure their policy out... just tell us how you do it DIsney, we can take it
I did see a CM with (gasp) a map of the sections when they were setting up the ropes. I should have tried to get a pic.
2008 Mar DL Repo Mini Meet, Aug Captain Jack's Panama EB Repo
2009 Feb Contemporary (DSIL gets's married @ Grand Floridian), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Mar - Disneyland, Jul - Boardwalk
2010 Mar AKL - Sept Grand Californian, Nov Grand Californian
2011 Jan Boardwalk & Dream Maiden Voyage, DL March, Apr GCH, June, GCH, Aug - Bay Lake Tower, Oct Wonder 7nt MR
2012 June - Panama Pirate Reunion on Fantasy - There's the Jack I know....
2013 April - Tokyo Disney, August - Aulani, Sept - Disneyland, Oct - Disneyland MHP, Dec - Grand Cali.
2014 Mar - GCH, July DCL Alaska, Aug - GCH, Sept - PPH, Oct DCL Magic B2B Southern & Repo, Nov - Bay Lake

AndyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #1040
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Exactly. It still might not exactly make sense but at least I'd know for sure what to actually expect. This cross your fingers and hope thing just doesn't really work for me.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #1041
DisneyDork712
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This cross your fingers and hope thing just doesn't really work for me.
My thoughts exactly. This is one of the most complicated things I have ever tried to plan for a Disney vacation!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #1042
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
The cheapest appetizer/soup is $11
The cheapest lunch entree is the pulled pork or meatballs @ $18.

So you're starting @ $29 min. In practice The numbers are closer to $15 + $25 for most of the items, so $40 is a more realistic minimum.
Kids can eat for between $8-13 at Carthay Circle which is quite a bit less than WCT.

WCT is also a 3 course meal which to me means a longer experience and I'm not our child will sit through it.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #1043
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
I did see a CM with (gasp) a map of the sections when they were setting up the ropes. I should have tried to get a pic.
Oh man that would have been golden! Next time, smack him with your foam Mickey hands and snatch that bad boy

Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #1044
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDork712 View Post
My thoughts exactly. This is one of the most complicated things I have ever tried to plan for a Disney vacation!
Honestly, after pouring page after page of input in this thread, Hydroguy still says it best.... just get there early enough and you will have a good chance for a nice spot. If you don't want it to be frustrating, just take the easy route... but it does require time to be spent waiting

Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #1045
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Exactly. It still might not exactly make sense but at least I'd know for sure what to actually expect. This cross your fingers and hope thing just doesn't really work for me.
For us, it is really a pretty simple choice. We are foodies, and fully intended on giving CCR a chance, so the tickets are just a bonus for us. Otherwise, I think we would get a blue ticket and get in line

Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #1046
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
Kids can eat for between $8-13 at Carthay Circle which is quite a bit less than WCT.

WCT is also a 3 course meal which to me means a longer experience and I'm not our child will sit through it.
Don't forget the $5 dessert... so a kid's meal for WOC is really $13 to $18 ish plus tax...

Plus I understand Carthay is pretty slow... 1.5 to 2 hours for dinner... not sure that will be any quicker than WCT.

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. Dec '12, 6 days @ PPH, dh, dd &I. Can't stand it anymore--DLH here we come Oct 25-29, 2015!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #1047
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post

I'm not sure what you keep trying to say.

First, kids need to have entrees AND appetizers/desserts for World of Color meals at Carthay. So, even if you order the least expensive adult/child options at Carthay, you will still end up spending AT LEAST as much as the Wine Country fixed price World of Color option. And that's with only two courses, not the three offered at Wine Country.

Carthay is also billed as a fine dining experience which, by definition, SHOULD take longer than a more casual, "trattoria," dining experience. Any (good) service though should be catered towards the patron's needs. If you need more sprightly service because you're traveling with a young child a server at any decent restaurant, particularly one in Disneyland, should be able to accommodate you. If you're looking for a more luxurious, lingering meal, that should also be an option.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #1048
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80

Kids need to order an entree and either an app or dessert. Add in a beverage, and you are paying about the same for a child. WCT is a much quicker dining experience than CCR. The service at CCR can best be described as leisurely. And most people who dine at CCR are getting three courses anyway.
ArchOwl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #1049
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
I'm not sure what you keep trying to say.

First, kids need to have entrees AND appetizers/desserts for World of Color meals at Carthay. So, even if you order the least expensive adult/child options at Carthay, you will still end up spending AT LEAST as much as the Wine Country fixed price World of Color option. And that's with only two courses, not the three offered at Wine Country.
Well, based on the reviews found at disneyfoodblog on both restaurants, you could go to CCR and order most expensive entree (steak $13) and most expensive salad/dessert ($5) and it would still be $3 cheaper then the WCT fixed price for kids. Also, go check out the review on the fixed menu items... the fact they call it 3 courses is a little misleading... the appetizer was 2 small slices of carrot, handful of grapes and 2 balls of cheese, and the dessert was a small tart with one berry on the plate. I look at what all comes with that steak for kids at CCR and then the cool desserts they can pick for themselves and it seem to be every bit as much food as the 3 course for WCT. PLUS, the WCT looks like you can't pick the app or dessert, only selection you can make is the entree. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to knock WCT, but just seems to not compare to quality, price or variety of CCR for kids

Also, the adult menu (for me) just looks way more inviting. You could get the Carthay House biscuits app ($8), the Pasta with Braised Lamb similar to entrees on the WCT menu ($20), and that amazing looking Peach dessert.. or several other choices for $12... that's $40. And the WCT fixed price for a basic salad you don't pick a dessert you don't pick and an OK entree for $39.99. So really, the prices are comparable, if you want them to be. There are definitely some entrees at CCR much more expensive, but they also look much more appetizing and fine dining to me

Quote:
Carthay is also billed as a fine dining experience which, by definition, SHOULD take longer than a more casual, "trattoria," dining experience. Any (good) service though should be catered towards the patron's needs. If you need more sprightly service because you're traveling with a young child a server at any decent restaurant, particularly one in Disneyland, should be able to accommodate you. If you're looking for a more luxurious, lingering meal, that should also be an option.
To me, this is the most important point about choosing for kids. Clearly, the review seem to indicate that CCR is more of a fine dining experience and so far, people seem to be saying you need to devote extra for this dining experience. If my kids were still little, I probably wouldn't consider CCR. I'm just glad they are older now, so our choice is easy... CCR here we come!!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #1050
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamouse1

Also, the adult menu (for me) just looks way more inviting. You could get the Carthay House biscuits app ($8), the Pasta with Braised Lamb similar to entrees on the WCT menu ($20), and that amazing looking Peach dessert.. or several other choices for $12... that's $40. And the WCT fixed price for a basic salad you don't pick a dessert you don't pick and an OK entree for $39.99. So really, the prices are comparable, if you want them to be. There are definitely some entrees at CCR much more expensive, but they also look much more appetizing and fine dining to me.
Just so you are aware, our server made it very clear that the biscuits didn't count toward the app for the WOC meal. I am not sure if this is everyone's experience, but our server told us the biscuits didn't count and that you couldn't order certain salads as your entree.
ArchOwl is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: