Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #91
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColtonsMom View Post
Has anyone ever watched it from the area around the golden zephyr how is that view? Due to reading the posts here and elsewhere on the board I am leaning toward skipping this "adventure" all together during our trip. I have no desire to be trampled to see anything nor to have my 6 year old seperated from me in the crush. If we do see it I will get our fast passes and wait until after the crush to enter and take whatever we can get as far as standing room or try the spot by the golden zephyr as a second possibility. Also how long is the actual show? Long periods of standing still aggravates my knee problem and wonder if I should get a GAC specifically for this event. Also anyone know what you need for a GAC for example Dr's note etc
Since your situation is very specific I'll send a PM about most of it.

I will honestly say I will be taking my 6yo to see WoC no matter what. It is so good I don't him to miss it, and will take him with the crowd to get a good spot. IT IS WORTH IT.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #92
Cali Dis Kid
DL & WDW Rock!

thank you Disneyland 1951 & Hydro Guy!!

just wanted to say a huge thank you to Disneyland 1951 & Hydro Guy! i saw woc from the preferred dining area front rail on the right side (which was amazing, thanks hydroguy!) back in august but used disneyland 1951 tip about the yellow fire hydrant in the blue section and saw the woc from behind the fire hydrant on 12/16 for the 8pm show and it was amazing! it was such a wonderful perspective! i lined up with the "cattle call" at about 6:45pm and when the mad dash was on i went right away to the area behind the yellow fire hydrant and it was about 15 minutes before anyone even ventured close to me in that area. i stayed at the DLH so it was very easy to get a blue woc fp at 9am, took about a total of 5 minutes. also really enjoyed the tron addition to the end of the show. so thank you again hydro and disneyland 1951 for all of your wonderful tips on the woc!
Cali Dis Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #93
Amariel
Earning My Ears

Fastpass details

I have a few Fastpass-related questions for WOC that I haven't found answers for. If we get a Fastpass, normally that blocks out getting further FP's until you reach the time or several hours. Since WOC isn't until evening, does that mean we can't get further FP's for several hours after getting them? Or, is it treated as an exception so we can get other ones?

Also, if we enter Disneyland early and then go to DCA when it opens for WOC fastpasses, do we need to make sure our FP window is open (could a FP pending for a DL ride block getting a WOC FP)?
Amariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #94
Disneyland 1951
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amariel View Post
I have a few Fastpass-related questions for WOC that I haven't found answers for. If we get a Fastpass, normally that blocks out getting further FP's until you reach the time or several hours. Since WOC isn't until evening, does that mean we can't get further FP's for several hours after getting them? Or, is it treated as an exception so we can get other ones?

Also, if we enter Disneyland early and then go to DCA when it opens for WOC fastpasses, do we need to make sure our FP window is open (could a FP pending for a DL ride block getting a WOC FP)?
The WOC Fastpass does NOT block out the normal ride Fastpass, and vice versa.
Disneyland 1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #95
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amariel View Post

To explain real quick how FPs work, the distribution machines are connected to each other. So when you get an Indy FP the Space machines know you have to wait until the Indy return window is open or 2 hours. However WoC FPs are NOT connected. No matter what FPs you have you can get a WoC FP. Then you can get FPs eleswhere, the Soarin or Splash FP machines won't know you have the WoC FP.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #96
prov3v56
Blessed in more ways than I can count!

To piggyback on your answer, we recently found out the the fastpass machines in DL are not connected to CA. This means if you plan to park hop back and forth, grab a fastpass from the park you are leaving and then you can get one immediately in the new park. Of course this only works if you plan on going back into the original park.

As annual passholders we tend to wander back and forth between the parks and always grab a fastpass on the way out of one park to use later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
To explain real quick how FPs work, the distribution machines are connected to each other. So when you get an Indy FP the Space machines know you have to wait until the Indy return window is open or 2 hours. However WoC FPs are NOT connected. No matter what FPs you have you can get a WoC FP. Then you can get FPs eleswhere, the Soarin or Splash FP machines won't know you have the WoC FP.

prov3v56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #97
Amariel
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Thanks for the informative replies! Great to know that we don't have to worry about tracking FP times for WoC, or across parks. I liked the tip about getting more than one. Maybe our runner to WoC should also pick up Soarin' passes on his way back to Disneyland :-)
Amariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #98
robinb
DIS Veteran

WoC Picnic Showtime?

I ordered picnics for 12/30 last week and am finalizing my park plans. There are 3 shows for WoC on 12/20: 8:00, 9:15 & 10:15. I looked at my receipt and it says that I have to pick up my picnic by 1 hour prior to the first WoC showtime. Does that mean that my showtime will be 8:00?
Old 12-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #99
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I ordered picnics for 12/30 last week and am finalizing my park plans. There are 3 shows for WoC on 12/20: 8:00, 9:15 & 10:15. I looked at my receipt and it says that I have to pick up my picnic by 1 hour prior to the first WoC showtime. Does that mean that my showtime will be 8:00?
Yes picnic FPs are for the first show. But don't wait until 7pm to get your picnic. Two reasons. It's nice to get the picnic and sit somewhere to eat it, not while you stand waiting for the show. Also the ticket with picnics are for blue and or just yellow. So it may be wise to go early and if you don't like the color ask a manger for the other. Though the view can be great from both if you are against a rail, and poor if you are behind people.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #100
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
At the risk of being too obvious, I think it just means whatever the showtime is on 12/30, you need to get the picnic 1 hour before that. A quick check of the schedule shows on 12/30 the WOC shows are the same as you listed for 12/20. In other words by 7PM...
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #101
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes picnic FPs are for the first show. But don't wait until 7pm to get your picnic. Two reasons. It's nice to get the picnic and sit somewhere to eat it, not while you stand waiting for the show. Also the ticket with picnics are for blue and or just yellow. So it may be wise to go early and if you don't like the color ask a manger for the other. Though the view can be great from both if you are against a rail, and poor if you are behind people.
I think our plan is to eat it for lunch .
Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #102
Janell
DIS Veteran

On the day you check into a Disney Hotel, are you eligible to get early FP's for WoC?

I think you need a room key to get early entry. In years past they have given us our keys at check in, even if our room isn't ready. Sometimes we have to call to get the room number later. So I hope we will have a key in the morning.

Any thoughts?
Janell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #103
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janell View Post
On the day you check into a Disney Hotel, are you eligible to get early FP's for WoC?

I think you need a room key to get early entry. In years past they have given us our keys at check in, even if our room isn't ready. Sometimes we have to call to get the room number later. So I hope we will have a key in the morning.

Any thoughts?
That is correct, you will need the key to get in early through the GHC entrance. Hope it works out for you on your trip.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #104
Eeyore11081
Mouseketeer

Here is my experience from 1/10/11; a slightly chilly but pleasant Monday evening for the lone show of the day at 8:15 (note the park closing time was 8:00) I know many (including myself) have/had questions about how busy this show would be in the off-season so I'll share my experience/observations.

Meal
Since it was DW's birthday and our first time viewing the show, we selected the Premium dining option at Wine Country with a reservation for 6:00PM. DW has eaten there before and liked it, so we chose it over Ariel's. We both ordered the same thing (roast beef); mine was pretty good while her's was rather putrid (EXTREMELY dry). Kind of disappointing, although we were mostly interested in the show. I rationalized the cost as being nothing different than paying for orchestra seating when Beauty and the Beast came to town. Salad and dessert were both very good though. The meal seemingly took forever for some reason (seated @ 6:10....left at 7:40PM). We were hoping to sneak in a ride before lining up for the show, but service was pretty slow at dinner.

Show
Since we left the restaurant much later than expected and didn't have time to see any other attractions, we just headed over to the viewing area for WOC. We got there around 7:45 and walked right down to the very front of the Premium viewing area. There were no lines to speak of for the Premium area or for the other areas. We positioned ourselves at the railing right behind the wet zone area. Note that we were on a tier above the wet zone, so we were not obstructed by guests in front.

During our walk to our viewing spot, I noticed there were several open spots remaining in other seating areas. Not just scattered individual spots, but entire rows. Hardly the frenzied cattle call that I expected. After the show, I took a stroll around to survey different viewing points. There are many excellent points from which to view the show outside the premium area and several of these points were still available within 30 minutes of the show on this particular evening.

Summary
For the first time seeing the show (which was spectacular) and given that we had a special occasion to celebrate, I think we made the right choice to guarantee a decent viewing spot with the Premium dining. However, if we return for future shows under similar conditions (non-weekend, offseason, cool evening), I'm willing to take my chances with a fastpass, picnic meal, or even by finding a spot on/near the bridge without any pre-reserved locations. Of course, we don't have any young children in tow, so we are a bit more versatile when it comes to looking over and between people in front of us.

DLR: 2004, 2005, 2006 (Anabella), 2007, 2008, 2009 (PPH), 2010 (DLH), 2011 (PPH), 2012 (PPH), 2013 (Anabella)
Eeyore11081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #105
Dizzy4DL
Dole Whip and a jalapeno pretzel? Don't mind if I do...

Thank you Eeyore!!!
I will be going during a Monday show later this month and have been wanting to know
what to expect.
I am making notes from your review, it will save my group so much time.

Disney World - Pop Century April '14
Dizzy4DL is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: