Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #361
Scaramedic
Earning My Ears
 
Scaramedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Longview, WA
Posts: 58

Hey sorry to skew the questions here but it is a WOC question.

We have reservations for the WOC dinner at 6:30, yet the show starts at 8pm. I know people say to get to the PD area early cause it can get busy. I was just wondering if we will have time to eat, not feel rushed and still get a good view. We're reserved for Sept 14, one of the slowest weeks of the year and in the middle of the week.

So is this doable or should we try for an earlier reservation?
__________________
Scaramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #362
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Drive to DL, Fly to WDW
Posts: 28,453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramedic View Post
Hey sorry to skew the questions here but it is a WOC question.

We have reservations for the WOC dinner at 6:30, yet the show starts at 8pm. I know people say to get to the PD area early cause it can get busy. I was just wondering if we will have time to eat, not feel rushed and still get a good view. We're reserved for Sept 14, one of the slowest weeks of the year and in the middle of the week.

So is this doable or should we try for an earlier reservation?
I would aim for earlier. At least an hour to eat, and an hour to wait for the show. People get jammed up in the situation of your current reservation.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #363
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbthemommy View Post
You know what? I just think it's all way too complicated. I'm going to get my FP at GRR and show up a half hour before the show starts. What ever we get, we get! It's still a life changing experience I nor the kids will forget. I know what seats sort of to stay away from. I'm hoping to avoid the red section completely unless it's by the railing. I'm not the type of person to have to have the "best" seat.. hopefully we can see. What I'm on a mission to do at the moment is buy my darn tickets for the cheapest possible rate. THAT to me is the most important thing, or we don't go. I so wish Craigslist was reliable cause that's what I really wanna do, but I know it doesn't always work and you lose money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
You know seriously, if that is the approach you want to take I would recommend you skip WOC. Unless everyone in your group is tall, your approach is, IMHO, a recipe for disappointment. Just sayin'.
I have to agree with Hydroguy. If you don't want to show up early to see the show, that's fine, but understand that your children will have a very hard time seeing and the overall experience will be inferior to those that did put in the time. Would you expect to show up to a popular movie theater on a Friday night to see a new release minutes before the show and expect to get a good spot? No. WOC and F! are no exception. They are shows. If you want to make sure that everyone is together and that you have a good view, you'll need to show up earlier. If you don't care, then don't put in the effort, just don't come back and complain that the show was disappointing because you were behind someone tall because, well, that's the risk you're taking by not going early. Nobody is saying you have to shell out money for a dinner or a picnic - the free FP's are just fine and are what I prefer to use when I see the show. The important part is lining up for the show at least an hour in advance.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #364
Rbthemommy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27

Getaway today, just called them. Stephanie was AMAZING! She spent a half hour on the phone explaining what she did for WOC, other tips for what I should and shouldn't see, and told me the picnic lunches were $16 (I saw they were more somewhere else but she emailed me a link) so I think I'm going that route. I guess we'll just have to spend the extra mula for 5 of those. Oh and a 3 day park hopper through them is $852 for 5 people with a MM .. and it's both parks each day if we want. I'm sold, booking that way I think unless someone knows something cheaper.
Rbthemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #365
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbthemommy View Post
Getaway today, just called them. Stephanie was AMAZING! She spent a half hour on the phone explaining what she did for WOC, other tips for what I should and shouldn't see, and told me the picnic lunches were $16 (I saw they were more somewhere else but she emailed me a link) so I think I'm going that route. I guess we'll just have to spend the extra mula for 5 of those. Oh and a 3 day park hopper through them is $852 for 5 people with a MM .. and it's both parks each day if we want. I'm sold, booking that way I think unless someone knows something cheaper.
Oh boy. Okay...when you get the picnic, you just get a yellow FP inside your picnic box, the EXACT SAME yellow FP that you would get FOR FREE from the machine. You STILL must line up with all the other people that have FP's before the show, which is why you STILL need to show up at least an hour early to get a good spot so your kids can see. If you're trying to save money, don't get the picnics, just get the FREE FPs, you'll save $80 right there!
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #366
Scaramedic
Earning My Ears
 
Scaramedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Longview, WA
Posts: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
I would aim for earlier. At least an hour to eat, and an hour to wait for the show. People get jammed up in the situation of your current reservation.
Thanks, had a feeling that was going to be kind of tight. Don't want to feel rushed during our meal.
__________________
Scaramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #367
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?
 
HydroGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado, USA (formerly SoCal - now SoCol)
Posts: 14,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbthemommy View Post
Getaway today, just called them. Stephanie was AMAZING! She spent a half hour on the phone explaining what she did for WOC, other tips for what I should and shouldn't see, and told me the picnic lunches were $16 (I saw they were more somewhere else but she emailed me a link) so I think I'm going that route. I guess we'll just have to spend the extra mula for 5 of those. Oh and a 3 day park hopper through them is $852 for 5 people with a MM .. and it's both parks each day if we want. I'm sold, booking that way I think unless someone knows something cheaper.
Have you even read the first post in this thread yet? What you just "discovered" is all explained there. And I doubt that someone at GAT would have better info than what this forum provides. It might be equal but it is probably not as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
Oh boy. Okay...when you get the picnic, you just get a yellow FP inside your picnic box, the EXACT SAME yellow FP that you would get FOR FREE from the machine. You STILL must line up with all the other people that have FP's before the show, which is why you STILL need to show up at least an hour early to get a good spot so your kids can see. If you're trying to save money, don't get the picnics, just get the FREE FPs, you'll save $80 right there!
SJ is totally correct here.

Please, go back to the first post in this thread and read it through. Then come back with more questions. It appears like you are making decisions on a lot of misinformation and misunderstandings. Which is causing you a lot of unnecessary stress!

__________________
Upcoming:
August 2015 for the D23 Expo | WDW, 2015 May?
Completed:
DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #368
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,678

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Have you even read the first post in this thread yet? What you just "discovered" is all explained there. And I doubt that someone at GAT would have better info than what this forum provides. It might be equal but it is probably not as good.

SJ is totally correct here.

Please, go back to the first post in this thread and read it through. Then come back with more questions. It appears like you are making decisions on a lot of misinformation and misunderstandings. Which is causing you a lot of unnecessary stress!

I hope she comes back to read our responses before booking!!!
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #369
Libby
Mouseketeer
 
Libby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 142

We saw WOC in early June - on a Sunday night. We got the picnic dinners - which were delicious and lined up about an hour before the sections opened up. We headed for one of the back locations - as advised by quite a few of the "experts". NO-ONE wanted to sit with us and it was about 15mins before showtime before we had any neighbours. But we were really happy with the view we had and we were able to sit and wait until showtime. We were thinking we could have come a LOT later but I think we just saw it on a quiet night because the next night our "spot" and all the other good ones were taken with 15mins of the sections being opened. I do recommend going before the ropes go up and choosing your location so you know where to head.
We LOVED the show - I think it's the best of them yet (except for maybe Tapestry of Nations parade and Illiminations in EPCOT). We didn't have kids with us this trip but get them some dinner, get a spot by the rail so they can see and sit while you wait.

You can read about, and see photos, of the day we did WOC here.
http://libby.withnall.com/2011/06/06...nia-adventure/
__________________
Libby
http://libby.withnall.com

DL '92, DL '97, WDW '99 , DL '00, WDW '02, WDW/DCL '04, DL '07, DL '11, WDW Nov/Dec '12

Last edited by Libby; 08-05-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Added link
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #370
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?
 
HydroGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado, USA (formerly SoCal - now SoCol)
Posts: 14,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramedic View Post
Hey sorry to skew the questions here but it is a WOC question.

We have reservations for the WOC dinner at 6:30, yet the show starts at 8pm. I know people say to get to the PD area early cause it can get busy. I was just wondering if we will have time to eat, not feel rushed and still get a good view. We're reserved for Sept 14, one of the slowest weeks of the year and in the middle of the week.

So is this doable or should we try for an earlier reservation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
I would aim for earlier. At least an hour to eat, and an hour to wait for the show. People get jammed up in the situation of your current reservation.
I agree with Ski. If I had an 8PM WOC I would:

1. Make the dining reservation for no less than 3 hours before

2. Enjoy the dinner - take your time - but try and be out and to the queue area 90 minutes before the show. Whcih gives you 90 minutes for dinner and walking to the queue which is 5 minutes from AG or WCT. We did it in 60-70 minutes and took our time.
__________________
Upcoming:
August 2015 for the D23 Expo | WDW, 2015 May?
Completed:
DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #371
Rbthemommy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27

Dont worry I haven't booked yet. Yes I read the first post, but since I have read so many other posts my mind was/is swimming. She did say she lined up an hour before...that's fine with me. I just hope we don't get red fast passes or something. What we get is what we get. I am sure we'll still enjoy it. I don't however want to get wet, misted is fine. So I won't be trying to get to the railing. I think I read several posts say the 3rd tier in yellow is good or something. I dunoo. Don't care to put more energy into where I'll be at. I'm going, that's all that matters to me.
Rbthemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #372
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Drive to DL, Fly to WDW
Posts: 28,453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbthemommy View Post
Dont worry I haven't booked yet. Yes I read the first post, but since I have read so many other posts my mind was/is swimming. She did say she lined up an hour before...that's fine with me. I just hope we don't get red fast passes or something. What we get is what we get. I am sure we'll still enjoy it. I don't however want to get wet, misted is fine. So I won't be trying to get to the railing. I think I read several posts say the 3rd tier in yellow is good or something. I dunoo. Don't care to put more energy into where I'll be at. I'm going, that's all that matters to me.
Look at it this way. If you decide not to order the picnics, but get to DCA and find you are stuck with Red(it's not all bad, but you want to be in the closer part of it), you still have the option to buy the picnic when in the park. They can sell out but that is more typical on the busiest days.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #373
becstr
Mouseketeer
 
becstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Okotoks, Alberta
Posts: 77

Question

Great thread! I can't wait to see WOC for the first time this Sept! So here is my question. If I attend MM on Thursday, Sept 22 and head to DCA after collecting ST fastpasses at 10am, what is the likelihood I will get blue fastpasses for WOC?
__________________
becca
becstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #374
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?
 
HydroGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado, USA (formerly SoCal - now SoCol)
Posts: 14,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by becstr View Post
Great thread! I can't wait to see WOC for the first time this Sept! So here is my question. If I attend MM on Thursday, Sept 22 and head to DCA after collecting ST fastpasses at 10am, what is the likelihood I will get blue fastpasses for WOC?
Pretty good I would say. But be prepared for yellow. I would take yellow over blue myself anyways.
__________________
Upcoming:
August 2015 for the D23 Expo | WDW, 2015 May?
Completed:
DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #375
becstr
Mouseketeer
 
becstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Okotoks, Alberta
Posts: 77

Thanks Hydroguy, now I have the first hour of our trip planned, time to plan the rest of our 5 days!
__________________
becca
becstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: