Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 02:48 AM   #286
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
They have moved all of the reserved wheelchair viewing and all of the ban he's to the very back. This was done soley for the CMs convenience. Don't believe me? Check out the YouTube video:
Why aren't you shown asking to be accomodated instead of accusing a CM of breaking the law over and over again?

Also you are wrong, the water can be seen from the HA area at the top level from a sitting position too. I have seen this myself, perhaps you should of tried it before commenting negatively on it.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #287
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Why aren't you shown asking to be accomodated instead of accusing a CM of breaking the law over and over again?

Also you are wrong, the water can be seen from the HA area at the top level from a sitting position too. I have seen this myself, perhaps you should of tried it before commenting negatively on it.
I am not being shown asking to be accommodated, because I had already previously asked to be accommodated and that was flat out refused. That being said her boss did at least let our party go in first (which, given his power, was the best we could expect, but it did mean that my wife, who was unable to stand for the length of the show missed half of the show after buying the picnic lunch. On that note, I have to say that the picnic lunches are very over priced for what you get), but it did take going through two leads to even get to that.

On the contrary, we have tried it from there, while you can see some of the water from some of the benches, you only get to see about 50% of the show at best, even when standing (less if someone in front of you puts kids on their shoulders), this is why it is a violation of ADA, they must provide views equal to or better than other guests (exact wording of the ADA by the way). My point is that this was done solely for the CMs convenience and that is flat out wrong to do.

Some days I can stand for the show, some days I can't, but that doesn't mean that I should have to miss half the show when they used to have viewing that would allow me to see 100% of the show either way. Now, if I don't get there early enough to get one of those seats, then that is my fault and I have no problem with that, but if I am there on time, I should be able to see the entire show, no matter if it is a good day or a bad day for me.

I am in the process of uploading my video from where the W/C viewing and benches used to be, the next time I go to WOC, I will sit in the new W/C section (assuming they haven't put them back by then) and record it with the same camera, using the same gorillapod (mounted at what would be eye height when sitting on a bench, by putting it on the railing). I will then see if I can do a side by side and post it, so that everyone can easily see the difference).

Last edited by cmwade77; 07-08-2011 at 12:14 AM.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #288
bgsnmky
DIS Veteran

HOpoefully simple questions

I am reading and reading..but I am sure I did not hit them all! And looking at maps.

A few questions:
Is there a difference in the reserved areas for fast pass vs the dining vs the picnic.

Example...do the people that get fast passes have a separate area then the reserved dinners. All the maps I was looking at (from these threads) just say reserved..so I wasn't sure.

I will not be able to get a fast pass as I will be there for D23 !! and won't go in until in the afternoon (Thursday night or Sunday night)...So I want to make reservations.

Is there a difference in the picnic vs the restaurant reserved seats.

BUT no matter what to get the up front rail places...get there an hour or two early right!! even with Dinner..
Old 07-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #289
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post

I am guessing because the pp has been advised on another thread that DL is not in violation. The pp's reply was to tell posters not to comment about it.

For anyone not familair with the ADA I urge you to review the "rules" yourself before getting caught up in the emotion. Even if DL (or anyone else were not in compliance), the date for ADA compliance is next year.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #290
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsnmky View Post
I am reading and reading..but I am sure I did not hit them all! And looking at maps.

A few questions:
Is there a difference in the reserved areas for fast pass vs the dining vs the picnic.

Example...do the people that get fast passes have a separate area then the reserved dinners. All the maps I was looking at (from these threads) just say reserved..so I wasn't sure.

I will not be able to get a fast pass as I will be there for D23 !! and won't go in until in the afternoon (Thursday night or Sunday night)...So I want to make reservations.

BUT no matter what to get the up front rail places...get there an hour or two early right!! even with Dinner..
Did you read the first post in this thread? These questions are all answered there.
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #291
Disneyland 1951
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsnmky View Post

A few questions:

1) Disney has caused a lot of confusion in not being consistant in the use of the terms: Preferred vs. Reserved, Area vs. Location.
Vewing Location and Area are the exact same section. It doesn't matter if it is Blue or Yellow.

The only pass that gives you a unique viewing area is Preferred Dining ($40).
ALL World of Color Fastpasses gives you admission to a "Reserved" Section.

Picnic Fastpass ($16) / WCT Lunch Fastpass ($30) / Fastpass from GRR Fastpass Machine (FREE). are all exactly the same in function. And, give you admission to THE EXACT SAME LOCATION.

2) As WOC matures fastpasses are easier to get. Locals have seen it enough that demand is now less. FREE Fastpasses are available everyday until late afternoon for the 2nd show. (The first show runs out at 12 -1:00pm).

3) There is no seating except for Handicapped or VIP.

Disneyland 1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #292
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

It was reported that Picnic Dinners were only given Yellow Fastpasses now, no more blue... I dont know if they are continue doing that.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #293
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
I am guessing because the pp has been advised on another thread that DL is not in violation. The pp's reply was to tell posters not to comment about it.

For anyone not familair with the ADA I urge you to review the "rules" yourself before getting caught up in the emotion. Even if DL (or anyone else were not in compliance), the date for ADA compliance is next year.
I actually have spent a lot of time investigating, these rules have always applied (since 1991); however, the recent ruling was put in place to clarify that it applies to all theaters (Note: Amphitheaters have always been included; therefore, the 2010 rules would still apply, since they are no different, other than reducing the number of seats required, if the 2010 rules do not apply, then Disney is out of compliance by about 50 seats based on the 1991 rules, either way they do not comply as both sets of rules require multiple viewing areas and state that no person that does not need special assistance can have a better view than those that do need special assistance (that is paraphrasing, but it is what it says). I think part of the problem is it is so convoluted to find the information about the requirements, some are in one place, some are in another and I am not even taking into account any local ordinances or state laws that may be even stricter)

Sorry, I digress, that is not my point of posting here, my point is that I posted on this thread so that those doing the maps could adjust the maps accordingly.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #294
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I actually have spent a lot of time investigating, these rules have always applied (since 1991); however, the recent ruling was put in place to clarify that it applies to all theaters (Note: Amphitheaters have always been included; therefore, the 2010 rules would still apply, since they are no different, other than reducing the number of seats required, if the 2010 rules do not apply, then Disney is out of compliance by about 50 seats based on the 1991 rules, either way they do not comply as both sets of rules require multiple viewing areas and state that no person that does not need special assistance can have a better view than those that do need special assistance (that is paraphrasing, but it is what it says). I think part of the problem is it is so convoluted to find the information about the requirements, some are in one place, some are in another and I am not even taking into account any local ordinances or state laws that may be even stricter)

Sorry, I digress, that is not my point of posting here, my point is that I posted on this thread so that those doing the maps could adjust the maps accordingly.
Respectfully I disagree. If you have links showing that DL has to provide seating for your wife, please post it. Disney policy is to rent a wheelchair for mobility issues.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #295
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Respectfully I disagree. If you have links showing that DL has to provide seating for your wife, please post it. Disney policy is to rent a wheelchair for mobility issues.
Issues with standing are not the same as mobility issues. Technically though, they must have reserved Ada viewing areas with 3 companion seats per wheelchair. The companion seats must be next to the person in the wheelchair and cannot obstruct the view of others in wheelchairs. As for thebenches being required for those that are not companions to a wheel chair, but cannot stand for the length of the show, but would not otherwise need a wheel chair (which is being accommodated with GACs) does need to be provided to allow equal access.

I have talked with some ADA lawyers and they do agree with me, some have suggested reporting this to the DOJ as I am not willing to file a lawsuit (not my style). I will probably do so after I can give videos of views from each location.

That is where I will leave my argument, I am unsubscribing from this thread , the point of my original post in this thread was not to start a debate, but to get the information out there about the new locations as it changes things for everyone and to make sure everyone knew that they are allowing kids
On shoulders in any section (despite the safety Issues)
Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #296
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Again, all I can say for those not well versed in ADA laws, please do some research before getting caught up in emotion and writing letters/emails and threatening lawsuits and contacting DOJ.

Equal access is not "better" access. Equal access can be provided in several ways and sadly it is not always in the exact way we want it.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #297
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Did you read the first post in this thread? These questions are all answered there.
I found the first post very informative and helpful! Thank you!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #298
helenb
Wishing for the World...

So it sounds like the preferred dining viewing area has been altered again... does anyone have a new map? Is the area in preferred dining that used to be handicapped now available to all, or has it been reassigned to a different color section?
helenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #299
blyday
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albort View Post
It was reported that Picnic Dinners were only given Yellow Fastpasses now, no more blue... I dont know if they are continue doing that.
Can anyone verify if this is true or not?? We are approaching our window to get the picnic lunch this week for our August trip. If we can't get blue FPs then I'll save the money for the picnic lunch and just get the FPs at the FP machines!!

TIA
blyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #300
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenb View Post
So it sounds like the preferred dining viewing area has been altered again... does anyone have a new map? Is the area in preferred dining that used to be handicapped now available to all, or has it been reassigned to a different color section?
This is an updated map Disneyland1951 posted for July 1st. You will see that

It's from post 267 http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=267

It doesn't show a HA area in it, but a couple weeks before this there was one at the top area which look like a yellow block. The yellow block is right next to the PD entrance. Not sure if it's still PD or HA anymore since the new map doesn't show what I saw.

In regards to what ALBORT posted maybe the yellow area expanded so much because they need to accomodate all the picnic passes. Just my speculation.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: