Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #256
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

In the first year WoC had 3.1millions viewers

On the anniversary weekend Disneyland put up this blog post that has links to blogs with bits of the show's history.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...cMedFBJK010005
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #257
AndyR
DIS Veteran

We did WOC twice this past weekend 6/17 (9pm) & 6/18 (10:15) - both times we had Blue FP's and walked into the area about 15mins before show time. Both times we stood by the Hydrant.

Here's the view you can expect to get - this is the relativly new Pirates segment (in HD), shot on my little Sony TX1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_2omFWN7Vk

Andy
2008 Mar DL Repo Mini Meet, Aug Captain Jack's Panama EB Repo
2009 Feb Contemporary (DSIL gets's married @ Grand Floridian), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Mar - Disneyland, Jul - Boardwalk
2010 Mar AKL - Sept Grand Californian, Nov Grand Californian
2011 Jan Boardwalk & Dream Maiden Voyage, DL March, Apr GCH, June, GCH, Aug - Bay Lake Tower, Oct Wonder 7nt MR
2012 June - Panama Pirate Reunion on Fantasy - There's the Jack I know....
2013 April - Tokyo Disney, August - Aulani, Sept - Disneyland, Oct - Disneyland MHP, Dec - Grand Cali.
2014 Mar - GCH, July DCL Alaska, Aug - GCH, Sept - PPH, Oct DCL Magic B2B Southern & Repo

AndyR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #258
cchavez
Earning My Ears

We will be at DLR next week and does it still hold true that the wait time for the later showing is not as long as the 1st show (9PM)? Also if we want FP's to the later show (10:15) what time to we head to DCA to get them? TIA!!!
cchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #259
Disneyland 1951
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchavez View Post
We will be at DLR next week and does it still hold true that the wait time for the later showing is not as long as the 1st show (9PM)? Also if we want FP's to the later show (10:15) what time to we head to DCA to get them? TIA!!!
On Friday, 6/17 they started issuing 2nd show Blue at 11:50am. I am not sure about today, but 2nd show Yellow was still available at 3:20pm.

The lines to get a WOC Fastpass remain short, less than 5 minutes all day.

With it now being Summer (tomerrow) and many Annual Passholders blocked out, WOC fastpasses are available until late afternoon.

The wait time for each show remains the same, for the best spots show up 20 minutes before the earliest time on the WOC Fastpass (1-1.2 hours early).

NOTE: The Little Mermaid ride was down all afternoon!
Disneyland 1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #260
SpaceMania
Mouseketeer

Note: I didn't read all 18 pages of this thread for my question, so if has already been answered point me in that direction

Okay. So assuming i got my fastpass and was going to line up early so i could get a good spot, would my whole party (me + 1 adult, 3 kids) have to wait with me? The people I am going with will want to see WOC, but they don't appreciate the shows as much as i do and therefore will not care to wait in line for it for an hour(?)

So i guess what i am asking is, is there an actual roped off line? & what would you say about holding spots for others?

I suppose this is more of a ethics question.
SpaceMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #261
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMania View Post
So i guess what i am asking is, is there an actual roped off line? & what would you say about holding spots for others?
Yes there is a roped off gathering area, where you wait to enter paradise park, the viewing area. In Paradise Park, it is also roped off to create different areas where you view from, versus the walking access.

Holding spots is a little different in this case versus the fireworks or a parade. OK to do, sure, but harder to do. Many people come in at once, a big mass flowing into the viewing area. So it might be better to all go in, cover your parties area, then have some leave( ask for your show passes as you leave, to return, to do other things. This is just to establish your place, because everyone comes in at once, places are found, and then you have time.

Where as with a parade places gradually fill in and it's easy to hold onto your territory as people slowly approach your opening area, you can fend them off one at a time.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #262
SpaceMania
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Yes there is a roped off gathering area, where you wait to enter paradise park, the viewing area. In Paradise Park, it is also roped off to create different areas where you view from, versus the walking access.

Holding spots is a little different in this case versus the fireworks or a parade. OK to do, sure, but harder to do. Many people come in at once, a big mass flowing into the viewing area. So it might be better to all go in, cover your parties area, then have some leave( ask for your show passes as you leave, to return, to do other things. This is just to establish your place, because everyone comes in at once, places are found, and then you have time.

Where as with a parade places gradually fill in and it's easy to hold onto your territory as people slowly approach your opening area, you can fend them off one at a time.
Ooh. I was under the impression that you wait in line for a long time and then are let into paradise park just before WOC starts. That makes more sense.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #263
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMania View Post
Ooh. I was under the impression that you wait in line for a long time and then are let into paradise park just before WOC starts. That makes more sense.
When you get your Show Pass, it will have return window that's 1 hour long just like a regular FP.

So your ticket may say for example 9pm Show with a return of 7:30 to 8:30pm. People will be let in to Paradise Park about 7:15. So you can see how this could equate to a 1hour 45minute wait. So I'd suggest getting there at 7:15, find a spot along a rail, then in 10 minutes it will be filled in around you. Some people leave getting thier Show Pass back at the top of Paradise Park. They can do a ride or two, use the restroom or get food ect...Just be careful because Screemin, Little Mermaid, and Toy Story may all have significant lines that could make it hard to get back for show time.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #264
SpaceMania
Mouseketeer

Quote:
When you get your Show Pass, it will have return window that's 1 hour long just like a regular FP.

So your ticket may say for example 9pm Show with a return of 7:30 to 8:30pm. People will be let in to Paradise Park about 7:15. So you can see how this could equate to a 1hour 45minute wait. So I'd suggest getting there at 7:15, find a spot along a rail, then in 10 minutes it will be filled in around you. Some people leave getting thier Show Pass back at the top of Paradise Park. They can do a ride or two, use the restroom or get food ect
Okay, this makes so much more sense now. We will all get there 15 minutes before the return time to get our spot and then i'll wait while they go do whatever. Thanks so much for the clarification!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #265
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Different arrival times to get WoC Show Passes.

Coming at different times to DLR and need your WoC Show Passes?

This question comes up now and then and I had to deal with it too on my last visit. I was getting to the park early, my friend coming after work. How do we get the same show time. Normally I would get my FP then buy a picnic for the late arrival person or people, timing my time to all get the same show that the picnic tickets would provide.

Found out, if your group has a split arrival. Early people get thier Show Passes. Late people come in activate thier tickets on entry. Go to WoC Show Pass distribution area by GRR with someone from the early group. Show the Show Pass recieved earlier and ask CM for same color/time for late arrival people. CM will write out, not just use the machine, to make matching color/time ticket for the late arrivals.

Will work if.
1. Somone got a regular Show Pass.
2. Later arrivals have activated thier tickets, hoppers or AP's by entering a park.
3. CM indicates they must still be distributing show passes at GRR.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #266
sherette7769
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting!

Quote:
Coming at different times to DLR and need your WoC Show Passes?

This question comes up now and then and I had to deal with it too on my last visit. I was getting to the park early, my friend coming after work. How do we get the same show time. Normally I would get my FP then buy a picnic for the late arrival person or people, timing my time to all get the same show that the picnic tickets would provide.

Found out, if your group has a split arrival. Early people get thier Show Passes. Late people come in activate thier tickets on entry. Go to WoC Show Pass distribution area by GRR with someone from the early group. Show the Show Pass recieved earlier and ask CM for same color/time for late arrival people. CM will write out, not just use the machine, to make matching color/time ticket for the late arrivals.

Will work if.
1. Somone got a regular Show Pass.
2. Later arrivals have activated thier tickets, hoppers or AP's by entering a park.
3. CM indicates they must still be distributing show passes at GRR.
Nice to know that there may be an option to be able to see the show together. Thanks!
Disneyland Paris: April 1995, August 2006, August 2008 (Newport Bay Club)

Me (uber planner) (DH) (DD - 11) (DS - 5)

sherette7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #267
Disneyland 1951
Mouseketeer

UPDATES FROM JULY 1, 2011

These are the changes from the July 1, performance of the 4th of July Pre-show. There are quite a few changes, improvements for most people (BLUE or Non-Fastpass holders), and very bad for the Preferred Dining Fastpass holders that do not arrive very early.

PREFERRED DINING Area was again reduced by eliminating the Upper Stairs to Yellow and Blue, and the Flat round Fountain and area behind the lamps were changed to YELLOW ??? The Preferred Dining area was oversold and anyone arriving later than 45 minutes before the show, had a spot worse than many of the Free Fastpass areas. This will make late arriving PD ($40) less than happy. It may be that they are selling fewer PD meals.
BLUE The Entrance was moved from in front of the Mermaid entrance towards the bridge. The Lower areas became PD, the old entrance became an early exit. The upper areas towards the center are easy to get to if you line up early (25 min before the earliest time listed).
YELLOW Is greatly expanded to include the flat area and the area behind two lights that was a bad spot for PD. Just past it towards the Bridge is about 10' of good viewing area!

NEW NON_FASTPASS STANDING They have added standing room in front of the Mermaid Ride and behind BLUE in front of the Red Tower. These are OK views, you will not see as much as if you are at the better Fastpass spots, and fill in 30-45 minutes before show time. A big improvement for those without Fastpasses.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #268
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
UPDATES FROM JULY 1, 2011

These are the changes from the July 1, performance of the 4th of July Pre-show. There are quite a few changes, improvements for most people (BLUE or Non-Fastpass holders), and very bad for the Preferred Dining Fastpass holders that do not arrive very early.

PREFERRED DINING Area was again reduced by eliminating the Upper Stairs to Yellow and Blue, and the Flat round Fountain and area behind the lamps were changed to YELLOW ??? The Preferred Dining area was oversold and anyone arriving later than 45 minutes before the show, had a spot worse than many of the Free Fastpass areas. This will make late arriving PD ($40) less than happy. It may be that they are selling fewer PD meals.
BLUE The Entrance was moved from in front of the Mermaid entrance towards the bridge. The Lower areas became PD, the old entrance became an early exit. The upper areas towards the center are easy to get to if you line up early (25 min before the earliest time listed).
YELLOW Is greatly expanded to include the flat area and the area behind two lights that was a bad spot for PD. Just past it towards the Bridge is about 10' of good viewing area!

NEW NON_FASTPASS STANDING They have added standing room in front of the Mermaid Ride and behind BLUE in front of the Red Tower. These are OK views, you will not see as much as if you are at the better Fastpass spots, and fill in 30-45 minutes before show time. A big improvement for those without Fastpasses.
Thanks for the update but folks like me are confused whether you think this is permanent or only for the 4th weekend?
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #269
Disneyland 1951
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Thanks for the update but folks like me are confused whether you think this is permanent or only for the 4th weekend?
Things that I believe are permanent are:
BLUE:
The entrance change away from the Mermaid ride entrance.
PERFERRED DINING: Changing the upper stairs to BLUE and YELLOW.
NON-Fastpass Standing areas (Now that the walls in front of Mermaid are gone) there is room for this and between BLUE and the Red Tower, this makes sense, and adds a lot of OK viewing.

Things the Puzzle me?
Having YELLOW fill in the circular area that was PD allows a lot more people into this area. However, instead of having 60-80 uncrowded PD viewers they have 300 very crowded into the area, because this is flat when the show starts 20-30 kids go up on sholders blocking the view behind!

PERFERRED DINING: Now only the very front has an excellant view, and holds only 40-50 viewers! The areas that are were BLUE are not the best & late arriving Guests that paid a lot of money, are shortchanged.

CAST TRAINING
WOC is one of the last places you would want to work, therefore it is mostly new less skilled Cast members. They are nice, but often have conflicting instructions and incomplete training. (Using Blue Fashlights to guide you to YELLOW, allowing Non-Handicapped to fill up the benches early, allowing kids on sholders, etc.) They allow nearly anyone to switch to another area. Since they take your colored pass when you enter, they have to depend on the honesty of the Guests (Bad Idea). This is especially bad in PD and Handicapped areas.

I don't know everything but observe a lot...
There are other items I did not mention because they are minor or I could not verify__
Eg: For the 2nd show they were having people with RED Fastpasses enter the Redwood Creek trail --- Is there an exit to the gates between the corndogs and Mermaid ride?

Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 07-02-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #270
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
Things that I believe are permanent are:
BLUE: The entrance change away from the Mermaid ride entrance.
PERFERRED DINING: Changing the upper stairs to BLUE and YELLOW.
NON-Fastpass Standing areas (Now that the walls in front of Mermaid are gone) there is room for this and between BLUE and the Red Tower, this makes sense, and adds a lot of OK viewing.

Things the Puzzle me?
Having YELLOW fill in the circular area that was PD allows a lot more people into this area. However, instead of having 60-80 uncrowded PD viewers they have 300 very crowded into the area, because this is flat when the show starts 20-30 kids go up on sholders blocking the view behind!

PERFERRED DINING: Now only the very front has an excellant view, and holds only 40-50 viewers! The areas that are were BLUE are not the best & late arriving Guests that paid a lot of money, are shortchanged.

CAST TRAINING
WOC is one of the last places you would want to work, therefore it is mostly new less skilled Cast members. They are nice, but often have conflicting instructions and incomplete training. (Using Blue Fashlights to guide you to YELLOW, allowing Non-Handicapped to fill up the benches early, allowing kids on sholders, etc.) They allow nearly anyone to switch to another area. Since they take your colored pass when you enter, they have to depend on the honesty of the Guests (Bad Idea). This is especially bad in PD and Handicapped areas.

I don't know everything but observe a lot...
There are other items I did not mention because they are minor or I could not verify__
Eg: For the 2nd show they were having people with RED Fastpasses enter the Redwood Creek trail --- Is there an exit to the gates between the corndogs and Mermaid ride?
I just did PD on June 23 myself so was a little too early to see this - but did notice how the LM ride was changing things and how the CMs did not control people from that area very well.

If you or anyone else can confirm after July 4 the permanency of these changes I will get the OP updated.

THANKS!!!

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: