Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #226
Ride Junkie
Just skulking around...
I love any activity that requires a helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
We were there, too -- except we paid for PD that was very unimpressive at WCT (we liked AG PD way better when we went at Halloween). It was super disappointing to be let down after what I perceived as 30 seconds of just music and some lights. My kids were super bummed, especially since we didn't have another chance during this trip. I am definitely in the "well what can you do - just make the most of it" camp, but I can certainly understand other people's frustration.

When my husband was coming back from the store last night, he heard the announcement again, this time stating that the show was cancelled due to "inclement weather". What's the deal around here? Did we jinx WOC? Haha
Did you get refunded for your PD?

If you're still there, pay Guest Relations a visit. My sister's boyfriend was so upset about all the time wasted (the WOC cancellation came after waiting in line for both the Matterhorn AND Indy, only for them to break down) that he went straight to Guest Relations afterwards. They gave everyone in our party a comp 1-day park hopper that doesn't expire until May 2013. So at least they made good!

Would still like to see WOC one of these days though!!
Ride Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #227
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Junkie View Post
Did you get refunded for your PD?

If you're still there, pay Guest Relations a visit. My sister's boyfriend was so upset about all the time wasted (the WOC cancellation came after waiting in line for both the Matterhorn AND Indy, only for them to break down) that he went straight to Guest Relations afterwards. They gave everyone in our party a comp 1-day park hopper that doesn't expire until May 2013. So at least they made good!

Would still like to see WOC one of these days though!!
See the OP:
Quote:

What should I do if World of Color gets canceled?

This happened on two nights in the first summer of 2010 and caused a great deal of guest relations problems for Disney as you might expect. Most likely if you have only a FASTPASS you are out of luck, much like any other Disney attraction. If you had a preferred viewing spot because of a dining reservation you should make your way quickly to guest relations (because the line will be very long) and ask for FASTPASSes for a future show. They may or may not give these out, but for some people in 2010 they did.

See this thread for DIS posts about the night all three shows got canceled.
DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #228
Ride Junkie
Just skulking around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkFlies View Post
Oh no!! We were there Wednesday night and all was well. And why couldn't they let you out the front door??
When we were walking past the entrance, we noticed a horde of people waiting to get in. I think it was the senior grad night kids. So that must have been why they didn't send us out that way.

Either that or they wanted us to be even further from Guest Relations.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #229
tdashgirl
DIS Veteran

Recent WoC experience: Got FPs on Sunday 5/15, just on a whim. After getting FPs for Soarin, decided to walk over to GRR, and got FPs for the 9pm showing, blue section (no line for FPs; this was about 15 minutes after park opening).

We'd seen WoC a couple of times already, so we weren't worried about a primo spot or if we would even return for the show.

Decided late afternoon we would go - around 8pm we went to Pacific Wharf to enjoy a yummy sourdough bread bowl meal and some beer Ate and visited restrooms, headed to the blue section around 8:55pm. It was full, as expected, but we still snagged a nice spot on the rope that divides our section from the disabled section (which no one was in). Had a fairly unobstructed view of the whole show and really enjoyed it
Old 05-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #230
TinkFlies
Mouseketeer

Also wanted to loop back with a recent experience since you all were so instrumental in me getting a great view of this fantastic show for the first time last Wednesday.

Had a 6:10 reservation at WCT. Even with that we did not get seated until 6:30. Service was horribly slow and I was panicked because I was told we should be at the preferred seating no later than 7:30. Didn't even leave the restaurant until 7:45.

Preferred seating was relatively unfull with the exception of the very front section by the water. In retrospect that would not have been optimal anyway because we didn't need to get wet. Stood at the top of the first set of stairs. Awesome view! Awesome show!
TinkFlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #231
NavyDad01
Mouseketeer

What time should i start lining up for a show that starts at 8:45pm
NavyDad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #232
HydroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad01 View Post
What time should i start lining up for a show that starts at 8:45pm
If you want a for sure, slam dunk shot at a front rail/perfect viewing spot, then be ready to queue up 90 minutes before the show - despite what the FP ticket says. And make sure you know where the best spots are. See the OP.

If you want a good chance at a front rail but are willing to risk not getting it, then arrive 60 minutes early.

If you just do not care that much about a front rail then arrive 30 minutes early.

DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 AM   #233
Libby
Mouseketeer

When you are waiting to get in are able to sit down or is it standing only? I've been having trouble with heel spurs and don't know if I'll be able to stand for an hour at the END of the day.

Libby

DL '92, DL '97, WDW '99 , DL '00, WDW '02, WDW/DCL '04, DL '07, DL '11, WDW Nov/Dec '12
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #234
HydroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
When you are waiting to get in are able to sit down or is it standing only? I've been having trouble with heel spurs and don't know if I'll be able to stand for an hour at the END of the day.

Libby
Typically everyone is let in to their viewing section about an hour before the show. Once you get to your spot you can sit - on the ground. That is what we did. We had a rail and could sit with our backs up against the rail.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #235
evedein
Mouseketeer

WoC Fast pass question

WDW veteran, DL newbie here. Hope this hasn't already been addressed. Is it true that you can get an early WoC FP if you're staying at a DL resort hotel?
Also, is there any difference in the assigned area between the FP & one of the dinner or picnic passes? Last question - with the picnic lunch - it looks like the adult & kids meals cost the same. So can an adult order a kids lunch (DD-an adult - doesn't like any of the adult options) & still get a WoC pass?

Thanks,
Eve in Baltimore
Old 05-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #236
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by evedein View Post
WDW veteran, DL newbie here. Hope this hasn't already been addressed. Is it true that you can get an early WoC FP if you're staying at a DL resort hotel?
Also, is there any difference in the assigned area between the FP & one of the dinner or picnic passes? Last question - with the picnic lunch - it looks like the adult & kids meals cost the same. So can an adult order a kids lunch (DD-an adult - doesn't like any of the adult options) & still get a WoC pass?

Thanks,
Eve in Baltimore
A lot of this is covered in the first post. Though I'm not sure about the last part of your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
When do the World of Color (GRR) FASTPASS machines open?

o Year round DCA opens officially at 10AM.

o For many years DCA has opened every day unofficially at 9:30AM. Never has Disney published this, but it is a well known fact and it is available to all guests - offsite, onsite or day trippers. During the first 30 minutes only one ride is open - Soarin' Over California. And the Soarin' FP machines are open. Since WOC opened in June 2010 DCA has also offered WOC FPs during this first 30 minutes.

o For guests staying at the DLR hotels DCA allows entry at 9AM to get WOC FPs. This is available through the special entrance to DCA through the GCH. Each guest must show proof of being a DLR hotel guest - namely a room key. This perk is also available to those who eat breakfast at one of the GCH restaurants but are not DLR hotel guests. They must show a receipt for their meal.

Note on March 29, 2011. DISer Snurk71 reported that they were not allowed into DCA at 9AM but CMs passed out by hand WOC FPs to those waiting in line at the GCH/DCA entrance. However, the number was limited and unfortunately they ran out before getting to Snurk71. Hence they had to use the regular entrance with everyone else to get WOC FPs. This was the first I have heard of this and it may have been a one-day operational problem. Until we know more be aware of this.
Quote:
What are the main differences between World of Color Preferred Dining viewing, picnics, and regular FASTPASSes?

All of the viewing areas are standing only. There are a few benches here and there usually used by those less able to stand (e.g., the elderly).

o The Preferred Dining costs $35-40 per person and gets you a quality meal and entrance to the central viewing area (as shown in the map later in this post). The viewing spots are central to the show but do not think that if you stand here you will have a guaranteed good view. The quality of your spot depends on how tall you are and where you stand. See advice also below on getting a good spot in the preferred dining viewing area.

o The picnics get you a cold meal and a guaranteed FP to the blue or yellow viewing sections. That is all. Your FP has a different look than regular FPs but is functionally identical. You do not get admittance to the preferred dining section in the center or any special viewing area at all. You are mixed in with the regular free FP sections. The main advantage is you have guaranteed admittance to a specific show at a specific time and do not have to commit time to go into DCA in the morning to get regular FPs. You can show up really late for your picnics (like 6PM) and still be able to see WOC.

o Regular FPs are for blue, yellow or red sections. These are free. You cannot choose which color you get. If you go to the WOC (GRR) FP machines they give out one color at a time. If you want a different color section you have to come back later when that color is given out. But there are no specific times when each color is given out so which color is available depends on how busy the day is at DCA and when you happen to arrive. The way to find out which color FP is being distributed is to ask the CMs or just walk up and look at what other FP gatherers are actually getting.

See this excellent post by Disneyland 1951 for what the various WOC entrance tickets look like.
Quote:

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
bigAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:27 AM   #237
A Small World

I always like to give a little royal wave whilst Im up there
Not even looking at it til I get some housework done

Quote:
Originally Posted by evedein View Post

Thanks,
Eve in Baltimore

To answer the last part of your question Yes adults can get the childrens picnic meal - DBF did this with no problem
WDW - Christmas 1991 -Off site; WDW - Christmas 1992 -Off site; WDW - Summer 1996 - All Stars; WDW - Summer 2003 -All Stars; DLP - Easter 2006- Santa Fe; DLP- Easter 2007 - Santa Fe + Explorers; DLP - Summer 2007 - Holiday Inn; DLP - Christmas 2007 -DCR; DLP - Easter 2008 - Cheyenne; DLP Summer 2008 Explorers + Sequoia Lodge; Nov 09 DDs surprise birthday trip- Kyriad; Feb2009 Disneyland Hotel; Easter 09 Kyriad; Summer 09 Newport Bay; Oct 10- DL ; Dec 11 - DL: Dec 12 DL; Dec 13 - DLP SL, Dec 14 - DLP DLH

A Small World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #238
susieQzee
Mouseketeer

Much Thanks, HydroGuy!

for all your efforts in creating and maintaining this thread. Although my DD20 and I are SoCal locals, we've recently become first-time AP holders. We were at DLR yesterday, and thanks to your insights, we have found "our spot" for WoC! The first time we watched WoC, it was a nightmare. However, we thoroughly enjoyed last night's show because we listened to (read) what others, including you, have said within this thread. You're the best!
susieQzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #239
merriwthr
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all of the great information - it took me awhile, but I finally read everything!

And... booked our WoC picnics a few minutes ago. I'm really super-excited about seeing this! I didn't think I'd be able to - I'm going with my brother and sister-in-law and they were booking all kinds of other reservations - until his boss said this was a must see. That made him change his mind and say he wanted to see it too - which I am totally stoked about!

The only problem now... is waiting the month until I *get* there!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #240
Ride Junkie
Just skulking around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post

Libby
We were able to sit for a short time, but then they made us stand up to fit more people. So we ended up standing for about 45 minutes before the show started.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: