Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #211
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_I_C_K_E_Y View Post
I hope this has not been asked yet, as I did not read the entire thread but...

Does the day of the week make any difference in crowds at the WOC? Specifically would a Sunday or Monday be any different in crowd levels?

And of the two shows - is the early or late show better for lower crowd levels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Not sure what you mean by "crowd levels". At the show itself? It is typically full every night and full is full. The specific night does not matter if all the shows are full.
Yup. There are only so many fastpasses distributed for each show, so as HydroGuy said, "full is full". There aren't more people on weekends or anything like that - the crowds are the same no matter the night of the week. When WOC first opened and there were three shows a night, there were not as many people at the last show which started at 11:15 or something like that - I know because I toughed it out and went to that show twice and there were not as many people compared to the first show, but since I don't think they are doing that super late show any more I don't think you'll encounter that. So, to summarize - makes no difference, just get a pass for the show that fits best with your schedule.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #212
M_I_C_K_E_Y
It Was All Started by a Mouse

Thank you HydroGuy and sonnyjane - that answers my question. I was hopeful that one day would be a little lighter crowd wise for the show. Can't blame me for wishing!
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #213
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_I_C_K_E_Y View Post
Thank you HydroGuy and sonnyjane - that answers my question. I was hopeful that one day would be a little lighter crowd wise for the show. Can't blame me for wishing!
The one thing you will find on a slow days in the parks, is the FP distribution is more relaxed. While they commonly run out in the early afternoon on slow days in January there were reports of ticket avialable at 5 or 6 pm.

Still if I was to ball park it based on reports on site like this, only about 2-4% of the time did Paradise Park not fill up.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #214
TinkFlies
Mouseketeer

First of all thank you for everyone who contributed to this. ANd thanks for always being so helpful to us newbies. After careful reading and thinking about my situation I've opted for Wine Trattoria and then preferred seating (top of the stairs).

One thing I'm still a little unclear of. I have a 6:10 reservation which of course seems like plenty of time for an 8:30 show (next Weds). But after reading through this thread I'm getting skeered!!

How early do folks start taking their places?
TinkFlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #215
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkFlies View Post
First of all thank you for everyone who contributed to this. ANd thanks for always being so helpful to us newbies. After careful reading and thinking about my situation I've opted for Wine Trattoria and then preferred seating (top of the stairs).

One thing I'm still a little unclear of. I have a 6:10 reservation which of course seems like plenty of time for an 8:30 show (next Weds). But after reading through this thread I'm getting skeered!!

How early do folks start taking their places?
On the whole 60-90 minutes early for those who want the best spots. So that would mean 7:00-7:30PM. If you are OK with not having a "best spot" then you are fine. If you really, really, really want a best spot I would suggest you move your dinner to 5:30PM to giv eyou enought time to eat and get to the queue.
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #216
TinkFlies
Mouseketeer

Gotcha!! Many thanks!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #217
Ride Junkie
Just skulking around...
I love any activity that requires a helmet

Wow, lots of great info here! Although it's a little overwhelming.

We will be there this Thursday & Friday and are planning on getting FP's for WOC (not doing any PD or anything). We plan to get there as early as possible and head over to GRR to get the passes. Thanks to these threads, I think we will know where to sit no matter which color section we get.

Glad we finally get to see WOC. We've been there twice since the show opened and haven't had a chance to see it!
Ride Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #218
Bungle
DIS Veteran

We just returned from our trip and I can tell you that on monday and tuesday last week WOC was packed. We were crammed in there like sardines! On monday we were in the blue and we got there late so only one of us really got to see it. On tuesday we started lining up @ 7 and got a fantastic spot along the railing. We did get a bit wet but it was so worth it. Also I think a bonus for us was making friends with the families around us. Made the waiting time pass so fast.

So was it worth waiting in line for an hour and a half just to stand and wait another hour for the show? YOU BET. Grab a burger to go and a margarita and it goes by really fast.

Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #219
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

We lined up about an hour early (this was offseason), and enjoyed watching the huge ferris wheel turn different colors -- it's programmed like a kaledioscope, and keeps changing. Our neighbors were really nice to visit with too.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #220
Ride Junkie
Just skulking around...
I love any activity that requires a helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Junkie View Post
Wow, lots of great info here! Although it's a little overwhelming.

We will be there this Thursday & Friday and are planning on getting FP's for WOC (not doing any PD or anything). We plan to get there as early as possible and head over to GRR to get the passes. Thanks to these threads, I think we will know where to sit no matter which color section we get.

Glad we finally get to see WOC. We've been there twice since the show opened and haven't had a chance to see it!
Well, last Thursday's (5/12) WOC show was a total waste of time. Stood in line around 20 minutes for fast passes that morning, got red section. Showed up around 7:45 to enter the viewing area. Stood around with the rest of the sardines for an hour. Approximately three minutes into the show, the water & music stopped, the lights came on, and a voice announced that due to technical difficulties, the show was cancelled.

So a few thousand angry people were ushered out of DCA. Not through the main gate...no, they had us exit through a different entrance which dumped us out into Downtown Disney. On the other side of the security checkpoint. So we had to have our bags, stroller, etc. checked again, just to walk past the park entrances to our hotel.

So, all we got to see of WOC was a few fountains lit up with different colored lights. Didn't get to see any of the special effects at all.
Ride Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #221
TinkFlies
Mouseketeer

Oh no!! We were there Wednesday night and all was well. And why couldn't they let you out the front door??
Old 05-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #222
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Well, last Thursday's (5/12) WOC show was a total waste of time. Stood in line around 20 minutes for fast passes that morning, got red section. Showed up around 7:45 to enter the viewing area. Stood around with the rest of the sardines for an hour. Approximately three minutes into the show, the water & music stopped, the lights came on, and a voice announced that due to technical difficulties, the show was cancelled.

So a few thousand angry people were ushered out of DCA. Not through the main gate...no, they had us exit through a different entrance which dumped us out into Downtown Disney. On the other side of the security checkpoint. So we had to have our bags, stroller, etc. checked again, just to walk past the park entrances to our hotel.

So, all we got to see of WOC was a few fountains lit up with different colored lights. Didn't get to see any of the special effects at all.
That would really bum me out. I have been fortunate to have never missed a show due to such difficulties or wind/weather.
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #223
disini
Earning My Ears

Good information before we go. Glad I found this site!
disini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:44 AM   #224
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Angry

Quote:

We were there, too -- except we paid for PD that was very unimpressive at WCT (we liked AG PD way better when we went at Halloween). It was super disappointing to be let down after what I perceived as 30 seconds of just music and some lights. My kids were super bummed, especially since we didn't have another chance during this trip. I am definitely in the "well what can you do - just make the most of it" camp, but I can certainly understand other people's frustration.

When my husband was coming back from the store last night, he heard the announcement again, this time stating that the show was cancelled due to "inclement weather". What's the deal around here? Did we jinx WOC? Haha
twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #225
northshoremama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
When my husband was coming back from the store last night, he heard the announcement again, this time stating that the show was cancelled due to "inclement weather". What's the deal around here? Did we jinx WOC? Haha
i sure hope not! we have PD reservations at ariel's next friday, 5/27 (for the 9pm show). praying for good weather!!!!!
northshoremama is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: