Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #76
Disney Spaz
DIS Veteran

Hi. Add me to your list of interested readers. Your story has touched my heart and my family sends prayers and pixe dust for all you have gone through. I can't wait to hear all about how the trip goes.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #77
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

I love your PTR my thoughts and prayers are with you during your trip, that it will be filled with pixiedust.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
micandminforever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #78
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Welcome to the new readers. I appreciate everyone's kind words.

Today after I picked up the children we hit Wal-Mart and of course I got a few things. I got dd some pants for layering and I picked up my carry-on bag. I got myself a pretty big backpack with lots of sections. The sweaters I ordered to go over dd's Akershus dress (and over her other dresses she wears later) came today.

After dinner, we wrapped up and went to see dd's school's football team compete for the NCISAA state championship (Private schools, 8 man football). The team won 67 to 28 to take the championship and finish the season undefeated.

Glad to be in my warm bed now. The name of the game tomorrow? Laundry, laundry, laundry.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #79
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Thinking of making a change for the big reveal

Well, no laundry got done yesterday.

I'll have to do at least 2 loads today.

But I did get a lot of packing done. Dd wears uniforms to school so I was able to pack everything for her except undershirts and socks. She doesn't have enough undershirts for me to pack up 6 yet and she didn't like the new socks I bought. Said they were itchy When I turned them inside out, they did have a few more strings hanging than normal...that child.

I got everything packed for ds except onesies and socks. Need to do more laundry.

I got my warm weather clothes packed, but need to go shopping for jeans. I only have office clothes. I own two pairs of jeans and I don't want to take them on the trip.

I went to Babies R Us yesterday afternoon hoping to get a bag for ds' carseat, but they were out In the nearly 8 years I have been shopping there, I have never found them out of anything I needed. Guess there's a first time for everything. Holidays coming I'm sure a lot of people are traveling. They carry two kinds, one with wheels and one without and they were both out. Even the cheap red gate check bags were gone. All they had was the gogo Kidz thing you snap your carseat into, but I want my seat covered when it goes under the DME bus, plus, wouldn't you know it, I have two car seats, ds' Symphony and the Scenera I bought for the trip and neither of them is compatible with the thing anyway.

Anyway, I asked the guy to check on the computer to see if Toys R Us had any in stock and he said they had both tom. I'm going in to work late tomorrow to take the children for flu shots, so after I drop them at school, I'll go by there on my way to work.

I was able to get everything else I planned to pick up there for the trip (and any other trip we'll take while ds is in the infant/toddler stage). Even found a clip for his pacifier. He doesn't take a pacifier often, but when he does, he likes the soothies...the ones they give out in the hospital. I didn't think they made a clip for them, but there they were. I also picked up some other things.

I got take and toss spoons, cup holders to attach to the stroller, two snack trap bowls, disposable changing pads and bibs, extra pack and play sheets and one of those tethers to put around ds' bottle so if he drops it, it won't hit the ground/floor. Also got some food that wasn't available at Garden Grocer and some for travel day.

Wow, we leave one week from today

Anyway, I'm considering telling dd the day before we leave now. She hardly knows anything about Disney World and I figure telling her on Saturday will give her time to watch my planning DVD and get an idea of how much is there. I don't want to spend 6 days looking at that castle or trying to convince her that we're not leaving Disney World if we leave Magic Kingdom.

That is the soonest I will tell her though. She has 3 tests every Friday and if I tell her before that, it would not be good.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
Old 11-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #80
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

I am NOT a nurse, but I do work in a hospital. I would check with your pediatrician about giving your kids the flu shot just before you leave on vacation. My pediatrician did not recommend giving it within a week of leaving, not knowing how it would affect the kids. But I understand the pros and cons of going either route. I would just double check with your pediatrician.

Two of my kids got sick within a few days of getting the shot. I am not saying they are related, but they did get sick. I just don't want anything bringing a damper to your trip....you've all earned it.

By the way are your doing BBB for your DD?
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #81
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971DBday View Post
I am NOT a nurse, but I do work in a hospital. I would check with your pediatrician about giving your kids the flu shot just before you leave on vacation. My pediatrician did not recommend giving it within a week of leaving, not knowing how it would affect the kids. But I understand the pros and cons of going either route. I would just double check with your pediatrician.

Two of my kids got sick within a few days of getting the shot. I am not saying they are related, but they did get sick. I just don't want anything bringing a damper to your trip....you've all earned it.

By the way are your doing BBB for your DD?
I do plan to ask about dd. I meant to get her shot a week ago, but it didn't work out. As far as ds, I don't really have a choice. Infants have to get 2 doses one month apart and he's already had his first one. I ended up asking them if I could bring dd in at the same time. I'll ask about the vacation then. They've always done well with shots though.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #82
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Well, I got 2 loads of laundry done yesterday evening as planned. Got it washed, dried and put away, so we have everything we need for the trip and have clean clothes when we get home.

One week from today we'll be getting ready for our first full day at MK. Forcast is up on weather.com now for 4 days of our trip and it looks good enough. Isolated Thunderstorms on Monday (30% chance of rain). Other days say mostly sunny. Low 80s during the day high and high 50s in the evening.

Got more packing done last night. Soooo hoping to keep us in the one large suitcase. I'm telling myself I don't have a choice. One big one, one little one dd can pull. That is it. A backpack for dd and one for me and I can't pack mine too full to go into the bag with ds' carseat. The urge to pack everything your baby owns is strong, but I'll be fighting it off for sanity's sake with the memory that he didn't use everything I brought the last time and remembering we're not driving. When I flew alone with dd I told myself to travel with the notion no one would help, so that is what I'm doing this time too.

Oh, and 1971, no we're not doing BBB this trip. I guess it was a case of he who hesitates is lost. I decided against it at first (didn't want to use up the time or spend the money) then later thought, well, maybe just the $50 package and bring a dress from home.

When I called there I asked for an appointment at MK for either Monday or Tuesday and the only thing available for the entire week was a noon appointment on Thanksgiving day at the DTD location. I don't plan on going to DTD at all this trip, much less in the middle of the day on Thanksgiving.

I haven't called back again. I just said "Oh well". I had to spend so much time calling the Dining line, I didn't have time to stalk the BBB appointments too. Thankfully dd hadn't asked for it.

Well, back to work. Another deadline, probably more overtime.

Oh well, this time next week, we'll be on vacation

Old 11-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #83
julirina
Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish.

I have loved following your PTR and I'm so excited that you be there in just a week! I think giving your DD that weekend heads-up is a great idea. She'll get a chance to do a little planning and get the excitement out of her system before she has to deal with being a "big girl" on travel day.

You have seriously thought of *everything.* I'm so impressed. I hope your trip turns out to be as magical as you've imagined!

julirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #84
Swmr359
Princess in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2babies View Post
I'm going to try to limit any purchases to things I can just put in the backpack or just stick to the resort gift shop.

Don't forget you can have the shops in the parks send your purchases back to your resort for you!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #85
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swmr359 View Post
Don't forget you can have the shops in the parks send your purchases back to your resort for you!
I was trying to forget that little piece. Don't want to need another bag for the trip home. Of course I'm sure they sell those too. Usually I'd be relying on the space left by the diapers I use up during the trip, but thanks to Garden Grocer I won't be packing any beyond what I need for travel.

Speaking of space in the suitcase, did more packing and more laundry today. Dd's backup Akershus dress (aka a dress I got off ebay for spring because I thought it was super pretty) arrived today. I have a feeling that when she sees it, the royal blue dress is going to be the backup. Why? It's pink.

The little notepads with matching pens I bought to take into the park came today too. The memory books I made are too big to take into the park, but I want us to be able to write down anything important that happens or anything I want to remember later for my memory book or trip report.

Was advised to go ahead and get dd's shot as long as it wasn't her first flu shot ever. So both children got their flu shots this morning. The nurse was great. She was so fast that neither child really had time to get upset. I held dd and the nurse asked dd what grade she was in while she wiped the alcohol on her shoulder, then she asked her teacher's name and by the time dd got the name out, the needle was in and out. She had me hold ds with his arms and head over my shoulder. She quickly injected his thigh. He shot me a real "what in the world" look.

Got home and opened dd's homework folder and there was a note...no homework this week. All we have to do is study for the tests on Friday and practice reading as usual. There's a packet coming home reviewing concepts taught this week, but it doesn't have to be turned in. Great timing on that one. Another deadline at work this week will likely mean extended hours again. Plus dd has a hair appointment on Thursday.

Oh, and success on the car seat bag. Picked it up at Toys R Us on the way to work as planned. I also picked up a Leapster Explorer. It was all dd asked for for Christmas. They are the only ones who have the purple one. I'm adding a few games though. Probably going to get ds a couple of musical learning toys I plan to get anyway so he has something to play with that day.

It's nice to see things coming together, espeically since it's almost time to go.

Weather forecast changed yet again. Last I checked it was back to a 10% chance of rain on Monday but mostly sunny for our 1st 4 days. It's almost like another activity watching it change. I've used weather.com for a lot of trips to various places though and the forecast right before I leave is usually pretty accurate.

Sleep is not only calling, it's yelling.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #86
jillyb
DIS Veteran

Here's where I've been checking out the weather:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-81.3742&e=0

June 2008 @ Pop Century
Thanksgiving 2010 @ Pop Century

Will We Stay or Will We Go - Thanksgiving Pre Trip/Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413919

It's Going to be a Capitol Vacation! Washington, D.C. August 13-18, 2009 Pre-Trip/Trip Report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post32476006
jillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #87
MickeyMomOfThree
DIS Veteran

luvmy2babies, I have something that may help you. I made an appointment for my DD11 to go to BBB with her sister, but she has decided not to go. I was telling her about your family and she said she would like your DD to have her appointment time if she'd like it. It is Nov 23 at 1 at the DTD location and is for the basic package. If you would like it send me a PM and we can arrange for when I will call to cancel and when you will call to get it.
I Always wanted A Family and Now I Have A Great One!!!! Many Trips As A Kid Made Me Want To Have Many Trips as A Mom --- Now I'm Doing Just That --- Thanks hubby For Great Kids, a Great Family, and GREAT DISNEY VACATIONS!!! Married 17 Years and Counting ...
**SOG 10/97**ASSp 2/00**ASMu 3/01** ASMo 11/02**ASMo 11/04**ASSp 11/06**ASSp 11/08**ASSp 11/10**And some off property trips mixed in**
**Dreaming of 11/12 Or sooner if we win the lottery before that! **

Don't be Grumpy , be Happy , even if it makes you a little Sleepy DQC

Please see the Hidden Mickey for Haiti thread
MickeyMomOfThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #88
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomOfThree View Post
luvmy2babies, I have something that may help you. I made an appointment for my DD11 to go to BBB with her sister, but she has decided not to go. I was telling her about your family and she said she would like your DD to have her appointment time if she'd like it. It is Nov 23 at 1 at the DTD location and is for the basic package. If you would like it send me a PM and we can arrange for when I will call to cancel and when you will call to get it.
Wow, how kind of you and your little girl. Thank you so much for the offer. Going to Downtown Disney won't work for us, but be sure to tell your daughter that I really appreciate the offer and what a kind person she must be. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time on your trip next week.

Thank everyone again for all the kind words and well wishes posted on my pre-trip report. I'm going to leave it in my signature so I can always find it easily. You all rock!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #89
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Cannot wait!!!!!
At least a crazy life is making the wait time go by faster!!!!!
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #90
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Whew!

What a day. Went in at 7:40 this morning, got off at 2:30, picked up the children, took them to the Godparents' house. Love those people. The daughter sits for me often actually.

Drove the 40 minutes back to work and was back at my desk at 4:20 after I picked up some food. I worked until 8:00.

Drove the 40 minutes home, picked up the children. Ds was fast asleep and didn't even open one eye. Dd was asleep and the son (he's 20) brought her downstairs and she woke up then. I had asked if she'd take dd's braids out if she had time and thankfully (since I'd been at work an hour longer than I planned ) she had gotten the braids out.

I was glad because right after school tomorrow, dd has an appointment to get her hair done. She gets a shampoo and texturizer. She is getting it sooner than usual to make it easier for me to do an updo and stick that rhinestone tiara on next week.

The Godfamily totally rocks. The daughter goes to the same school as dd and when they paired high school students with elementary students in the mentoring program, they put dd with her. So now when she goes over, she can get help with her homework too.

So, tomorrow I get off at my regular time and will probably do today's routine again on Friday. Hopefully I am close enough to my goal to avoid working on Saturday. That is the team's goal now. Everyone is really stressed too.

Side effect of being an only parent as a result of the other parent dying...the child worries about you quite a bit. When I got there tonight, dd had a few words for me about being late...said she was worried something had happened and had even dreamt it had after she'd fallen asleep.

From the sound of ds' snores, he wasn't traumatized by my being gone.

I'll be more than ready for a vacation after this crazy week.

Oh and I've still got

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: